Does anyone book inside cabins on QM2?

rbird

Does anyone book an inside cabin on QM2? This is our first time in an inside cabin. I'm willing to try it for a 5 day cruise. I've been in oceanview, balconies and even a penthouse once so this will be new for me. I've learned alot from CC over the years. Please give me the scoop on inside cabins and any nessessary items I must pack. I thought a night light may be good. Actually I thought a flashlight maybe good too. What if we lose electricty suddenly?:rolleyes: I assume the TV will have a station with a camera view off the bow. Guess I'll turn that on and imagine a window...

We went TA and back in an inside cabin in 2010. I thought it was fine, but my wife said she was travelling "Mole Class" !!

You wont need to pack a flashlight as you'll be amazed when I tell you that the cabins are fitted with electric light bulbs !!! Who'd have thought that ??!!

We had an inside on our last TA, normally we also go for balconies so we were a bit wary too.

I didn't take a flash light, I found that during the night, there's just enough light coming into the cabin from the hallway. it's dark, but not pitch black. Also, my mobile has good LED lights, so I could always use that if I would have needed to.

The cabins are noticably smaller than the balconies, no sofa, just an extra chair. But the wardrobe space is the the same (I think), at least, it didn't feel like we had any less space there.

We thought 7 days in an inside cabin might be too much for us. We've done 3 day cruises in an inside and we thought it was ok for a short trip, but that we wouldn't be too keen on it for longer than that. We were proven wrong. We are looking into another TA later this year and it would be an inside again. :)

I've always booked the lowest grade inside cabin on any cruise / crossing, it's the only one we can afford :(

We once had an upgrade to an outside with a porthole, but DH really wasn't that enthralled

Balconies are what lottery wins are for... :D

We ALWAYS book insides (on all cruiselines) - but I guess that is because we are poor :rolleyes: I still don't really understand why Cunard allow people like us onto their ships :confused:

But I can't really offer you much advice about what the inside cabins are like - that is because, for 95% of the time that we are in them, we are asleep. :)

Barry

I have booked inside on my t/a back to back in May - as a solo traveller, it's the best I could afford . . . .

I have bought a nightlight, and I will be packing a small torch, just incase of a power cut ;)

I intend spending as little time as possible in my cabin, so I am sure it will be perfectly adequate for me. :D

We´ve booked an inside cabin on our next QM2 cruise. On our last cruise we found that we hardly used our balcony, the public spaces are so much nicer anyway! For me the cabin is only for sleep and changing clothes, and I dont need a grand outside cabin just for my ego!

Does anyone book an inside cabin on QM2? ... I thought a night light may be good. Actually I thought a flashlight maybe good too. What if we lose electricty suddenly?:rolleyes: I assume the TV will have a station with a camera view off the bow. Guess I'll turn that on and imagine a window...

Depends on the person. I only do inside because it is inexpensive and there is little more use for the extra space. Here are some thing to consider:

a) will you be inside all the time? I use it as a sleep place and little else. So why waste money on the extra space?

b) are you + your other obese or limited? In that case, these are perhaps uncomfortable.

c) do you feel you MUST see outside? If so, don't get an inside.

Depending on where you get the cabin, you are a minute or two from going outside, or looking outside. If you are going to be dining, dancing, going to films, lectures, etc. etc., why pay for more? If you have the money to blow, do it and get a balcony, but no problems with being inside. The room is so simple that you can memorize it and grope around if power goes out, but taking a flashlight might be a good emergency device. Also remember if you have an iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad, you can use those as ersatz flashlights for such occasions without needing to bring more stuff.

The neat thing about inside is where they are: everywhere. I think it costs more to be higher with the Grills cabins, but it isn't enormous money and you can be within seconds of the Commodore Lounge. Just incase emergency hits... and you need a drink.

It is a good idea to bring along an alarm clock if your cell phone doesn't have one. Alternatively you can request a wake up call if there is a particular time you need to be awake. It is easy to sleep in with the room being so dark, and that could be a problem if you have places to go and things to do.

I've booked Early ,an Inside , on most every Cunard cruise that we have done.

On most of them , as sailing got closer , promo rates became available , before final , that I ugraded to a Balcony for just a little more $$ (in one case less $$) .

However , on my next QM2 5 night cruise 7/01/12 Balcony $$ have gone down and back up a bit since booking , but not enough for me yet.

My TA adjusted my Inside rate that came down a bit (for a short time).

Still time until Final but on this cruise, the way it's going we will probably remain Inside (which is fine as we have been Inside before), but I'm still checking.

We are happy with inside cabins as we just use them as changing rooms and as somewhere to sleep. I guess the main consideration is how much time you spend in your cabin during the day. For me, there is too much ship to be spending time in a cabin.

My findings: I like a small torch by my bedside - but that would be true for me of any room / cabin I stay in. I have a flash-light app on my mobile that serves this purpose nicely these days. A box multiplug adapter is handy.

You should find that you have plenty of wardrobe space for such a short trip.

As you can see from the responses - being on board is enough for many of us for which an inside cabin suffices!!

To shed a little light on an inside cabin I set the TV to the ship's bridge cam (camera at the bow of the vessel) before I retire. You get a dull glow like a night light, I find it is OK and have no trouble sleeping. One night I awoke to see a full moon on the horizon and a silver glow across the ocean - nice picture. Try it for a night and see for yourself.

Thank you for the positive responses. I feel reassured about my decision and am looking forward to our short holiday. I forgot about the flashlight app on the i phone. I believe my husband would be the wary one.

I camp in a 10x6 so the inside stateroom with our own facilities should be luxury no doubt.:)

We went TA and back in an inside cabin in 2010. I thought it was fine, but my wife said she was travelling "Mole Class" !!

You wont need to pack a flashlight as you'll be amazed when I tell you that the cabins are fitted with electric light bulbs !!! Who'd have thought that ??!!

Yes, but you have to feed the squirrels in those little running cages, who power the lights LOL

Does anyone book an inside cabin on QM2? This is our first time in an inside cabin. I'm willing to try it for a 5 day cruise. I've been in oceanview, balconies and even a penthouse once so this will be new for me. I've learned alot from CC over the years. Please give me the scoop on inside cabins and any nessessary items I must pack. I thought a night light may be good. Actually I thought a flashlight maybe good too. What if we lose electricty suddenly?:rolleyes: I assume the TV will have a station with a camera view off the bow. Guess I'll turn that on and imagine a window...

Jim'girl always books inside rooms. You get to travel more on your money that way. We've had TrasnsAtlantic offers for as low as $499. Unfotunatly, it's always when we either just did a cruise or it wasn't a good time(work) to take one. The other inside rooms to check out are the "lobby view rooms. You get pretty good lighting.

Yes Keithm, I do always book inside rooms, that either makes me "cheap" or "financially challenged" .! I travel solo so the room size is not a problem.

The atrium cabins do give you electric light from the atrium, but you also have o keep your window treatments closed , as you look across into other cabin windows and they look across into yours.

I spend most of my time on board out and about, I love to people watch. One of the upsides to an inside cabin is that without natural light you can have a 60 min snooze after lunch .

The money you save can of course assist you to have a good time ,- or take an extra cruise, and I know that I would rather do an extra cruise than just sit on a balcony alone.

I would love to do a crossing in an inside. It's really the only way we can afford to do a round trip passage. I love a pitch dark room at night. I find night lights annoying, so this is a tailor made room for me. My DH is a different story. He'd rather not go than stay in an inside stateroom.

How do I convince him? He reason is simply cruise ship snobbery. I love the idea of having a room on my favorite deck (5) and knowing I saved a lot of money for non space that I wouldn't use :p

Archived