Frank Bukingham

jig

Voorn, we were hoping that Frank Buckingham would be the Port Lecturer on our March 12 Grand Med Voyage, but our HAL papers list Daniel Hoffman as "Travel Guide."

Please tell Frank that we were looking forward to cruising again with him.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin

At the risk of repeating myself, Frank Buckingham was a highlight of our Baltic cruise on Rotterdam a dozen years ago. I'm glad he's still aboard HAL ships enlightening everyone. His historical knowledge and experience in the ports are invaluable. I hope he's on one of our cruises again.

Mrs Muir

• 3 years later...
Post #2 above said he is on Prinsendam doing Grand Voyage.

This thread is four years old. The latest post bumped it up.

OP, my understanding is that Frank Buckingham retired from HAL.

Yes it's old but I was going over some past postings and thought I'd ask if he is still around. We S aided with him several times and enjoyed having him at our table and sharing a beer in local along the way bars. I guess we won't see him again. The new ones seem to know very little about the ports. We were on the Statendam from Sydney to Osaka and the port guy said it strait up. Never been to most of the places. First for both of us.

Yes, Frank (an Oxford Man) "retired" several years ago although we understand it was not totally his decision. A few months after he retired, Frank boarded the Prinsendam while we were docked in a European port to chat with some of his friends. We saw him in the Crows Nest, bought him a drink, and chatted about a few ports. Frank's knowledge of ports was legendary....and he was really helpful to moi with some of our questions (we are very independent travelers who seldom take a tour). Although many passengers adored Frank, he was not a person who felt an obligation to contribute to the bottom line by shilling for overpriced cruise line excursions. These days HAL (and other lines) prefer to have folks that promote their own excursions rather then to be overly helpful to independent travelers.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We were on the Statendam from Sydney to Osaka and the port guy said it strait up. Never been to most of the places. First for both of us.

We sailed from Sydney to Osaka on the Statendam in 2006 and had the same experience with Frank. We got better information from the waitstaff at our local Chinese restaurant before the cruise than we did from Frank. In addition, he was brusque and condescending when he dealt with many of the passengers.

We sailed from Sydney to Osaka on the Statendam in 2006 and had the same experience with Frank. We got better information from the waitstaff at our local Chinese restaurant before the cruise than we did from Frank. In addition, he was brusque and condescending when he dealt with many of the passengers.

A very nice man, but I have seen this brusqueness, unfortunately, a couple of times. Sort of spoiled the image, but everyone can't be perfect.

If it was the 30 day cruise that went to jayapura and png and Cebu, which is the one we were on frank was not the port lecturer. It was someone else. Years ago the job was separate from the shore ex office and they made that plain in the beginning.

Today it's hit and miss.