It appears the tide is turning

Bridge Maven

Most people who vote for and abide by Celebrity's dress code actually sail on Celebrity ships.;) I notice that many who answer these polls saying they don't like to dress up either haven't been on a Celebrity ship or are very infrequent cruisers.

As to the original question, I agree that young people in particular dress up a lot more than they did a few years ago. It's evident in what we see in fashion mags as well. Just a few years ago the jeans with jacket look was fashionable even at "events"....not so much any more. Young women were wearing torn jeans with sparkly tops but more recently they are wearing cocktail dresses.

Hmmm, so how many sailings on Celebrity must one have to be allowed an opinion or vote on a topic? :confused:

Anyone can voice an opinion, it's just an observation. Most people form opinions because of experience on the subject. I never cease to be amazed at some posters who have so much advice to offer with so little experience. Of course, they may do as they please and we can certainly take that into consideration before following that advice.

It's really nice that Celebrity offers many alternatives for people who don't care to dress up for a couple of evenings. I take advantage of those options when I don't want to do formal.

There is a difference between having an opinion and giving advice. Many times on this board there is little tolerance for either if you are not in the "club". We are not cruisers and probably never will be except for very few itineraries where it makes more sense to cruise than it does to change hotels every night. I came on here to gather information the same way I do on trip advisor. Thanks to this forum I learned all about the Millennium, my cabin, best things to do in the ports etc. and that's why I joined. Many of you have been extremely helpful and kind to this first time (and maybe only time) cruiser. I am slowly learning to ignore the rest.

We just attended a wine dinner at a local restaurant Friday evening. While women always tend to dress up at this restaurant, not so much the men. At this dinner I was surprised at the number of men in sports coat and tie.

Mary Lou

Level of dress is a generational thing. I'm 31, and to me, if I'm wearing a sports coat and tie that IS formal. If it isn't a tuxedo, then who cares if the pants and jacket match (i.e. a suit)?

Once again my argument for that is believe it or not formal dressing is not the only reason to pick a cruise line! If you would list in order of importance I bet you would find for the majority that formal nights are way below itinerary, service, cabins, food quality etc.

Yes, you know the rules when you book Celebrity and you should either comply or find another venue. It just would be nice if Celebrity offered a comparable dinner without an upcharge for those who don't wish to don a tux. Booking Aqua Class with access to Blu is a step in the right direction but a costly one.

I may certainly be in the minority but I ONLY cruise for three reasons: 1.to get dressed to the max which is something I rarely get to do due to my job (international logistics and I spend a LOT of time on docks, in warehouses and in the "war zones"),

2. get away from phones, computers, faxes and all the electronic gizmos that control our lives now

3. to see someplace that I may not fly to (like the Panama Canal).

I have been around the world twice literally. I fly 100,000+ miles per year, primarily for business. I have been in all 7 continents. I have NEVER been to the Caribbean nor do I have any desire to go. 90% of our cruises are two weeks or longer.

And DH figures it this way-he is an engineer at the USA's largest nuclear plant. His normal mode of dress is Levi's and t shirts. But if he can schlepp the tux or suit, so can everyone else. And if the cruise turns into a Levis/Dockers and Tommy Bahama's cruise, he rapidly bows out. We are very rapidly "loosing" cruise lines because we have generally been there, done that and are REALLY looking for the formal, traditional cruise. One big reason we choose Celebrity BECAUSE of the formal dress code and MOST people complying.

Nothing worse than being in the MDR with all the crystal, silver, the wait staff and officers in their formal dress whites and some slub walks in the backwards baseball cap and his jeans. DH says something. The ambiance is gone.

Is there nothing "special" anymore???? Or all we all destined to be WALMART where NOTHING is special and the commonality is just enough to get by????

I may certainly be in the minority but I ONLY cruise for three reasons: 1.to get dressed to the max which is something I rarely get to do due to my job (international logistics and I spend a LOT of time on docks, in warehouses and in the "war zones"),

2. get away from phones, computers, faxes and all the electronic gizmos that control our lives now

3. to see someplace that I may not fly to (like the Panama Canal).

I have been around the world twice literally. I fly 100,000+ miles per year, primarily for business. I have been in all 7 continents. I have NEVER been to the Caribbean nor do I have any desire to go. 90% of our cruises are two weeks or longer.

And DH figures it this way-he is an engineer at the USA's largest nuclear plant. His normal mode of dress is Levi's and t shirts. But if he can schlepp the tux or suit, so can everyone else. And if the cruise turns into a Levis/Dockers and Tommy Bahama's cruise, he rapidly bows out. We are very rapidly "loosing" cruise lines because we have generally been there, done that and are REALLY looking for the formal, traditional cruise. One big reason we choose Celebrity BECAUSE of the formal dress code and MOST people complying.

Nothing worse than being in the MDR with all the crystal, silver, the wait staff and officers in their formal dress whites and some slub walks in the backwards baseball cap and his jeans. DH says something. The ambiance is gone.

Is there nothing "special" anymore???? Or all we all destined to be WALMART where NOTHING is special and the commonality is just enough to get by????

Well said. And I agree with you.

Those of you that are anticipating your first cruise, or that have cruised on a line that is more casual, are probably reading and re-reading all the dress-codes threads, and may have drawn a conclusion that is the opposite of what occurs onboard a Celebrity ship.

And those of you that are reading this post, may also think that various itineraries could possibly change the dress atmosphere.

Celebrity does have a dress code. I choose to respect it and the passengers that choose to adhere to it.

Celebrity does have a dress code. I choose to respect it and the passengers that choose to adhere to it.

Celebrity indeed makes some suggestions for dress on the so-called formal nights. I choose to wear a jacket and tie, but I also respect those who choose to dress otherwise.

The problem is not the policy but that the cruise ships are afraid to enforce their own policies. What they should do is clearly state the policy and kick anyone who does not follow the policy off the ship.

We would not suffer if those types got kicked off.

DON

I wonder if we haven't perhaps gotten off center just a little bit: my problem isn't the dress code, which is reasonably clear and certainly well published, but the lack of enforcement of it on the ship. If the code calls for a suit and tie minimum for the evening attire, I'll dress that way and will stay that way in public areas for the evening. It's the table next to ours, where the men are in hoodies, and the girls in tee shirts, etc., that offends me.

I have seen this time and again, have discussed it with a Maitre D' who I know, and they say that they are not supported by the Senior Management Personnel.

Sort of makes the argument moot, doesn't it?

I agree that there are many reasons why someone chooses a specific cruise and dress code is not always high on that list. However, I do think that even if a person doesn't love the dress code, they should either follow it or eat in an alternative venue of the ship that doesn't require it.

Aside from what has already been said, I think it is unfair to the dining room staff because it puts them in a precarious position. On one hand they know they should enforce the dress code, but by doing so they risk antagonizing a passenger and that might come back to haunt them.

As someone who does enjoy dressing up..usually in long gowns and dressy cocktail dresses, I still do not understand why this is a subject that is discussed...:confused:

Who cares what someone else is wearing?! It does not kill "ambiance" IMO

Have you ever heard the term "you do you, I will do me"? This is a perfect example. If you like dressing up, than dress up; if you do not like dressing up, than don't dress up!

I'm sure you won't catch someone complaining about men wearing tuxes, that it makes the MDR "stuffy". Than why is it okay to do that visa versa

NovCruisin: While I do in general agree with your reply, I have experienced the joy of sitting next to a teenager in the MDR on formal night who proceeded to remove his shoes, while not wearing socks, and then turn sideways and stretch out his legs so that his bare feet occupied the aisle between his table and mine. The waiter and his assistant had to step over him every time they passed. Yes-it most certainly compromised my dining experience. He was seated with his family, and I guess they were happy he was dining with them at all! I wonder why, though. :confused:

As someone who does enjoy dressing up..usually in long gowns and dressy cocktail dresses, I still do not understand why this is a subject that is discussed...:confused:

Who cares what someone else is wearing?! It does not kill "ambiance" IMO

Have you ever heard the term "you do you, I will do me"? This is a perfect example. If you like dressing up, than dress up; if you do not like dressing up, than don't dress up!

I'm sure you won't catch someone complaining about men wearing tuxes, that it makes the MDR "stuffy". Than why is it okay to do that visa versa

When there is more silverware than most people see in dinners out, more glasses, waiters and officers in FORMAL clothes, how does it not KILL the ambiance when some slub walks in looking like they are dressed for TGIF's, Olive Garden or even In-N-Out Burger???

I REALLY don't want to sit in my formal gowns with DH in a tux or suit in amongst people who have on Dockers/Levis and Tommy Bahama shirts (or worse-usually the backwards baseball cap and a logo t shirt). It truly is NOT the same experience.

Please do not assume that everyone who prefers to dress in casual attire attends the MDR on formal evenings notwithstanding the dress code.

This is just not the case. IF we are dressed casually on those evenings then we simply select another venue. And there are many others like us.

I have to agree with Novcrusin. We are not particularly bothered by the whole issue. We are too busy enjoying our cruise to be concerned about what someone else might be wearing. Life is a little too short for that.

We are not particularly bothered by the whole issue. We are too busy enjoying our cruise to be concerned about what someone else might be wearing. Life is a little too short for that.

This pretty much sums up how DH and I feel!

Please do not assume that everyone who prefers to dress in casual attire attends the MDR on formal evenings notwithstanding the dress code.

This is just not the case. IF we are dressed casually on those evenings then we simply select another venue. And there are many others like us.

I have to agree with Novcrusin. We are not particularly bothered by the whole issue. We are too busy enjoying our cruise to be concerned about what someone else might be wearing. Life is a little too short for that.

A big AMEN to that one!

A big AMEN to that one!

But what iancal posted seems to be the PROBLEM. "IF we are dressed casually on those evenings then we simply select another venue."

There are too many that want to enjoy the MDR dressed for anything other than a formal night.

If you want to go in your casual clothes to another venue, please feel free. Just don't impose on MY dinner in the MDR in your jeans, backwards baseball cap or even your Dockers and Tommy Bahama shirt. There IS a difference.

But what iancal posted seems to be the PROBLEM. "IF we are dressed casually on those evenings then we simply select another venue."

There are too many that want to enjoy the MDR dressed for anything other than a formal night.

If you want to go in your casual clothes to another venue, please feel free. Just don't impose on MY dinner in the MDR in your jeans, backwards baseball cap or even your Dockers and Tommy Bahama shirt. There IS a difference.

Don't worry, Greatam. Not too many passengers will be in the MDR dressed as you describe. From what I hear, there will be more and more in a sport jacket, shirt & tie and according to these posts, dress pants, shirt & tie, than we saw in the past. That shouldn't spoil your meal!

I fully agree with NovCruisin - My level of enjoyment is not based on what others are wearing - to tell you the truth I'm usually having too much fun at my own table to even notice what people are wearing at another table...

I think the more important thing is how the person acts - the issue with the teenager that Susie22 mentions (taking off his shoes and stretching out his legs across the aisle) would have been a problem regardless of how he was dressed... His behaviour would not have been any more acceptable if he had been in a tux.

If you are trying to solve the problem of having everyone dress to your tastes and opions when dining in the MDR on both formal and non formal evening then I suggest you abandon this endeavour in favor of solving world hunger.

Yes, let's all try to solve the problem of world hunger on this cruise board, make believe we are all having so much fun we never notice anything and realize that nothing anyone does is inappropriate as long as he is a nice person. These things are all noble thoughts and ambitions but have nothing at all to do with the subject.

Is it really a big deal to just abide by a dress code that is set up by the CRUISE LINE (not the passengers)? They provide something for everyone and plenty of choices. It seems that should make it very easy for everyone to enjoy themselves without all of the whining about what may be necessary to dine in one venue for a couple of evenings on each cruise. No excuses necessary, no degrees of I'd rather have a slob than someone who's (fill in the blank) and it's not saving or destroying the world. It's just not polite to come to a formal dinner in casual wear whether you're a nice person or not..... plain and simple. Just choose one of the many other venues available.

If you are trying to solve the problem of having everyone dress to your tastes and opions when dining in the MDR on both formal and non formal evening then I suggest you abandon this endeavour in favor of solving world hunger.

One big reason why DH has said basically no more cruises. Maybe another couple of TA's but that would be about it. It truly is not the special experience it was even a few years ago. I am out of the USA about 150 nights per year and out of our house about another 100. We aren't together much. But when we are together, it should certainly be special.

I love cruising because it gets me away from my business. But just to go on a cruise for the sake of going on a cruise is not for either of us anymore. The experience is generally a far cry from what it was unless we spend 3-5 times the amount of money for a luxury cruise. I certainly hope it goes back the other way (more formal) because I could use the vacation.

My point was that the people who do not dress in a manner in which you feel is appropriate either do not read this forum, or if they do, will hardly be swayed by anyone's opinions-including yours and mine.

If you really do expect this outcome, then endeavouring to solve world hunger may be a viable alternative to banging your head against the 'brick wall' of appropriate attire on formal evenings.

So it is just a little pointless to go on and on about it if your goal is change their behavior.

Now, if you just want to have a bit of a rant than is an altogether different issue. Just don't expect anyone to change their attire because of it.

So people who dress for today's world should be admonished for not dressing as people did 30-50 years ago.

Formal is no longer the formal of the past. Especially in the more progressive areas of the world.

Archived