It appears the tide is turning

Bridge Maven

.....and Swedish weave, if your concerns aren't clearly answered for you now, then perhaps you should notconsider Celebrity

Thank you !!! The simple question about dining in the MDR on formal nights wearing a dress shirt and slacks was not too difficult for those on other forums and websites, but it was evidently too much for the Celebrity clientele.

As I stated, Celebrity will not be under consideration until or unless I get an answer to my question. A simple yes or no would suffice. My query to Celebrity went unanswered. That tells me a lot !!!!

.....and Swedish weave, if your concerns aren't clearly answered for you now, then perhaps you should notconsider Celebrity

Thank you !!! The simple question about dining in the MDR on formal nights wearing a dress shirt and slacks was not too difficult for those on other forums and websites, but it was evidently too much for the Celebrity clientele.

As I stated, Celebrity will not be under consideration until or unless I get an answer to my question. A simple yes or no would suffice. My query to Celebrity went unanswered. That tells me a lot !!!!

Please see post #142, that should provide your answer. And if not, then you have made the right decision.

Based on my experience, you can't make generalizations about people based on whether or not they like formal nights.

Some people who look like they walked out of a fashion magazine and are put together perfectly won't go on a cruise that requires them to bring formal clothing.

Some people who usually look like they slept in their clothes love formal nights at sea.

Some people like formal nights because they lead very formal lives at home, while others like formal nights at sea because it is the only opportunity they have to dress that way.

For formal nights I will rent a tux IF I can get a "mandarin" style shirt.

Mandarin-Collar-Black-Band-No-Pleatsed-Tuxedo-Shirt--TS012--_10927815374988f88b8658b.jpg

If not, then I'll just bring a jacket and I'll have enough dress shirts to wear, so it won't matter.

I just will NOT wear a tie any more. I wore them for 25 years, never again. Hence the reason I love the banded collared shirts. :)

Just look at some of the discussions on other cruise line boards about people coming to dinner in shorts and swimsuits with coverups and you'll get the picture. If they can't enforce Formal Nights, how in the world could they ever enforce smart casual. If someone thinks formal wear is slacks and a shirt, what do you think the interpretation of smart casual is?

We're talking about large ships here that cater to a diverse clientele, not smaller specialty upscale cruise lines. The only way anything at all is controlled is by having a dress code for certain areas of the ship and offering casual alternatives.

H

How people dress most certainly has something to do with the quality of food. Do you wear formal wear to McDonalds?

I think your response is a bit silly. Following your logic, if I eat in a specialty restaurant on formal night and are not dressed formally I'll be served Micky D's type food. I bet any meal served in a Specialty restaurant will trump anything in the MDR on formal night.

I think your response is a bit silly. Following your logic, if I eat in a specialty restaurant on formal night and are not dressed formally I'll be served Micky D's type food. I bet any meal served in a Specialty restaurant will trump anything in the MDR on formal night.

Interesting observation !!! That sure throws a curve ball into MaBell's logic.

Is that what you really think I meant? Try to not take things so literally. I think most people get that I'm not talking about McDonalds.

Interesting observation !!! That sure throws a curve ball into MaBell's logic.

agree completely - the food served in the MDR, even on formal night, does not warrant formal dress - nor does the ambience - or noise level

That's true and the more casual it gets the louder it gets. I've been sailing on Celebrity ships since 1994 and there is a definite difference in the ambiance and noise level. I wonder what that can be attributed to. It's very interesting that more complaints about food quality in the MDR really began about the same time they began relaxing the dress code.

I hate to say it but the food and ambiance in the specialty restaurants have declined too, also since the change in dress code.

The one place the food is much better is the buffet.

Formal night does not need to be a black tux, it can be a sand color or Grey suit with a stand out tie out white on white tie and shirt. But a jacket should be required and no jeans or kakhis etc

Those who sit in judgement and comment on others are no better than guests who break rules on formal nights.

Formal nights should be respected but when in society is every rule followed? I feel that we should be focused more on people's manners and etiquette versus judging dress codes.

From pushing to yelling across the halls, and at crew members ...I rarely hear many guests saying "thank you" or "please" anymore

I agree formal nights should be respected but on our last Celebrity cruise a lady was making comments at the martini bar while our group of friends were around the bar before dinner. I heard her say jeans and blazers are not acceptable for formal night perhaps we should go to Carnival?? That was rude and she had no idea I heard her,

My wife approached her to compliment her on her jewelry so that she could let the guest know we were in Aqua Class and did not have a formal night. Not everyone is in the same dining room anymore and not everyone has the same expectations of a vacation

I challenge others including myself to look at ones own behavior before being superficial and judging others exteriors

That's true and the more casual it gets the louder it gets. I've been sailing on Celebrity ships since 1994 and there is a definite difference in the ambiance and noise level. I wonder what that can be attributed to. It's very interesting that more complaints about food quality in the MDR really began about the same time they began relaxing the dress code.

I hate to say it but the food and ambiance in the specialty restaurants have declined too, also since the change in dress code.

The one place the food is much better is the buffet.

I disagree here on this point ...I'm sorry

The food quality etc had more complaints when the economy tanked and people payed way less for cruises and expected the same as it was years ago.

Even luxury lines have had food quality issues and cut backs ...just saying

I don't ever criticize what people are wearing while on a cruise but will defend giving people true information before they go so hopefully they are not put in a position that may be embarrassing for them. With all the venues available on Formal Nights there are many varieties of dress on board, but for the most part people still seem to take extra care, even in the smart casual area. I sometimes take a night off and go to another venue or just eat in my cabin too. As long as there are people giving out false information I'll rebut it. It has nothing to do with my being critical of what people wear. I am, however critical of giving false impressions.

I also think Celebrity does a good job with the revenue they have but style and service as well as food have changed greatly since the change in dress codes as well as the advent of Select Dining. It's just not the special experience it used to be. I think it's a combination of all these things, not just revenue. The waiters and assistants have too many people to serve now and cannot give the kind of individual attention they used to. They have built a lot of ships that need to be filled and they won't all be filled by people willing to pay luxury ship rates for better food and service.

In some ways I like the product better, but in many of the personal ways I miss the way things used to be.

I don't ever criticize what people are wearing while on a cruise but will defend giving people true information before they go so hopefully they are not put in a position that may be embarrassing for them. With all the venues available on Formal Nights there are many varieties of dress on board, but for the most part people still seem to take extra care, even in the smart casual area. I sometimes take a night off and go to another venue or just eat in my cabin too. As long as there are people giving out false information I'll rebut it. It has nothing to do with my being critical of what people wear. I am, however critical of giving false impressions.

I also think Celebrity does a good job with the revenue they have but style and service as well as food have changed greatly since the change in dress codes as well as the advent of Select Dining. It's just not the special experience it used to be. I think it's a combination of all these things, not just revenue. The waiters and assistants have too many people to serve now and cannot give the kind of individual attention they used to. They have built a lot of ships that need to be filled and they won't all be filled by people willing to pay luxury ship rates for better food and service.

In some ways I like the product better, but in many of the personal ways I miss the way things used to be.

Agreed - but it should be noted that every factor you mention essentially boils down to revenue - the cost of cruising is about where it was 15 years ago - but the cost of everything else has gone way up.... since the margins are clearly ok (or there wouldn't be so many new builds), something else had to give - fewer servers - smaller portions - lower quality ingredients - fewer fresh ingredients -

Even the advent of select dining is a revenue thing - they did it because prospective cruisers wanted it... not because it was easier - no way it could be. I, and many others, choose Aqua in part because i hate dressing up - I also happen to think Blu is far superior to MDR in every way, including the ambience/noise deal - specialty restaurants generate revenue AND allow smart casual - also generating revenue for the privilege of forgoing formal nights....as much as I love to cruise - and as much as I believe the product X sells best suits my husband and my needs, they aren't there for any reason other than to make money.... period! we may all wish it were different, but it is not

Does anyone remember the two piece silk outfits that were so popular during the eighties? The skirt and blouse were the same pattern and they looked like a dress when worn together. They would be great for a cruise if that trend came back because they were so pretty, as well as very light weight for packing.

I always had a number of them at the time because they were appropriate for work, as well as the theater and dinner at a nice restaurant.

And all of us guy types could go back to wearing those really stylish (not to mention flame retardant) polyester leisure suits! :p Like, TOTALLY awesome!:D

Is somebody interpreted as casually dressing on a formal night, if they are wearing a dress shirt and tie with no jacket?

I for example wear suits and jackets with nice slacks almost everyday, because of my profession. I don't get a major thrill out of dressing up. However I realize its importance and appreciate a formal affair. Plus its a pain in the wazoo to pack a jacket or suit for a cruise. Again, not saying I wouldn't.

If I were to wear just a pair of dress slacks and a dress shirt and tie, is that dressing casual on formal night.

Would I be offending people if I just dressed in a shirt and tie?

You can easily see that you would be offending SOMEONE, no matter WHAT you wore! :eek:

It's disappointing that for some people the above styles of clothing are considered dressing up, if only because of the high cost of these "designer" items. In my 60-something world, the high price of such an article of clothing does not excuse it's inappropriateness.

The Achilles Heal of your statement is the lost art of understanding that not everyone thinks like you. :o

I have to agree with Novcrusin. We are not particularly bothered by the whole issue. We are too busy enjoying our cruise to be concerned about what someone else might be wearing. Life is a little too short for that.

But just remember that there are a LOT of people in this world, (and you MIGHT even find SOME here on CC :eek:) who's life is measured by how much time they spend finding fault with how OTHERS lead THEIR lives. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Oxo: That is part of cruising, dressing up not down.

For SOME people, at SOME times, on SOME cruise lines, in SOME venues?:rolleyes:

Agree with most of the wise comments and bigger-picture wisdom expressed by navyrotorhead in the various postings. For us, the cruise is more about where we are going, what we are going to see and do, etc. Being too nit-picky on who is wearing and what and not . . . is far, far from my biggest worry. My cruise goal is not be a member of the "FASHION POLICE"!! Clearly, I notice some people who don't "get it" very well, NOR how to be reasonable and appropriate. BUT, in my view, there are more important issues meriting attention during our cruise. There's a reason in the United States why many country clubs and private clubs are struggling to get members, stay viable, etc. People and the market place are changing and evolving. That's not all good, but it is what is and has been happening.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,146 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

R="Blue"] Agree with most of the wise comments and bigger-picture wisdom expressed by navyrotorhead in the various postings. For us, the cruise is more about where we are going, what we are going to see and do, etc. Being too nit-picky on who is wearing and what and not . . . is far, far from my biggest worry. My cruise goal is not be a member of the "FASHION POLICE"!! Clearly, I notice some people who don't "get it" very well, NOR how to be reasonable and appropriate. BUT, in my view, there are more important issues meriting attention during our cruise. There's a reason in the United States why many country clubs and private clubs are struggling to get members, stay viable, etc. People and the market place are changing and evolving. That's not all good, but it is what is and has been happening.

I guess you feel better now too. Does anyone ever get that these discussions have nothing to do with what the "passengers" think is appropriate, but everything to do with what "Celebrity" thinks is appropriate and whether we should all just sit back and not respond to people when they give out untrue info to new cruisers.....BEFORE THE CRUISE.

Terry, have you ever seen a member of the FASHION POLICE on board a ship? I haven't, mainly because they don't exist. It's just an insulting term used on these boards to try to make oneself look like the voice of reason. I find it really disingenuous when someone goes on about how many more important things are going on in the world, how the world is changing, when all we are ever really discussing is a very simple question, whether people should abide by the code that is set by the cruise line or if we should always just do "whatever we feel". I guess if doing whatever we please is somehow noble and admirable...I'm old fashioned and out of touch. Being polite and considerate goes a long way to making cruising pleasant for everyone.

Once on the ship I don't spend one minute caring about what others wear except when I see the staff and crew having to deal with some screaming jerk whose "I'll do whatever I like" attitude causes them a problem.

Archived