It appears the tide is turning

Bridge Maven

That is odd. I have seen advice elsewhere that this type of attire is acceptable. It could affect my future cruise plans.

You are aware from so many of the threads and posts on Dress Code that enforcement of the rules is incosistent and your own situation that, although the majority do follow the guidelines/rules, others dont for whatever reason they come up with. In some situations, they are given a jacket to wear, or as Ma Bell told you. And yes, on our last cruise, they did provide jackets.

And as you have reported, where a number of people in the MDR without a tie but had a jacket, or not even a jacket. But if the concern over finding yourself in this of being given a jacket could affect your plans, then that is probably a good idea. Many play the chance-game, others follow the guidelines because they want to dress up, or because they think it is proper to follow them.

In the case of our cruise where they provived the few tha didnt have a jacket, one got all upset, took the jacket, then took it off as soon as he sat down...his choice. My personal opinon is I thought it a bit juvenile, but just my subjective opinon.

Den

Yes, many times. They are sometimes offered a jacket or directed to one of the smart casual areas to dine. I've also seen a few that have slipped by...but very infrequently. There's not always someone at the door and Maitre'ds differ in their levels of enforcement. The fact is this is not Celebrity's dress code and those who come dressed casually may or may not be able to enter. At any rate they will be out of place and may feel uncomfortable.

Here is my whole quote. It's possible to "get away" with something. It's another thing entirely whether it's common or appropriate. If all you want to know is if it's possible to go to a Formal Night wearing casual clothing, my answer stands...maybe or maybe not. If someone is giving advice that this is perfectly OK, it's poor advice and could lead to an embarrassing moment.

You are aware from so many of the threads and posts on Dress Code that enforcement of the rules is incosistent and your own situation that, although the majority do follow the guidelines/rules, others dont for whatever reason they come up with. In some situations, they are given a jacket to wear, or as Ma Bell told you. And yes, on our last cruise, they did provide jackets.

And as you have reported, the where a number of people in the MDR without a tie but had a jacket, or not even a jacket. But if the concern over finding yourself in this situation could affect your plans, then that is probably a good idea. Many play the chance-game, others follow the guidelines because they want to dress up, or because they think it is proper to follow them.

In the case of our cruise where they provived the few tha didnt have a jacket, one got all upset, took the jacket, then took it off as soon as he sat down...his choice. My personal opinon is I thought it a bit juvenile, but just my subjective opinon.

Den

My concern is twofold. First- I don't want to pack clothing I don't need.

Second -- I try to get the answers before I book a cruise, and if the cruise line doesn't offer what I am seeking, I will choose another.

The actual application of dress codes can be perplexing, and the problem with getting direct answers on CC is becoming more difficult because of posters who may know but don't offer specifics. Also, if the cruise line is relaxing their application of dress codes, it would be much more beneficial if they would follow the example set by NCL and Carnival and publish what they are actually doing instead of maintaining a false front to satisfy the desires of some of the traditionalists who don't want to accept the changes.

It's really not perplexing at all. The very great majority of Celebrity cruisers abide by the dress codes. Those who don't care for Formal Nights just choose another venue for a couple of nights. There isn't much of a problem on board, just here where some people don't want to accept the answer.

IMHO, the heyday of the 'Fashion Police' are numbered, as cruisewear will inevitably become less & less formal, as it did after the early days of air travel -- just saying!!

as cruisewear will inevitably become less & less formal, as it did after the early days of air travel -- just saying!!

In a perfect world (depending on who designs the world of course), the dress code topics would never arise because ALL people would follow the guidelines. When I see some black and white films of sporting events, men actually wore suits at the events. This year we were at the Captain's Table and one of the male guests wore an old polo shirt and no jacket had been offered. I'll continue to offer my two cents of observation in these "threads" (casual or formal) as long as people actually think that our individual opinions will change anyone's behaviour. I follow the guidelines but I wish that I could leave my formal attire at home. I see no improvement in the attire of younger cruisers... that tide has left many high and dry... ;)

The cruising industry is changing. There will be ever more posts from returning passengers reporting a larger number of people enjoying the dining room in more casual attire. Those who follow the code, expecting the more casually-attired passengers who also paid for the wonderful menu in the MDR to go eat casual, is an exercise in futility.

In a perfect world (depending on who designs the world of course), the dress code topics would never arise because ALL people would follow the guidelines. When I see some black and white films of sporting events, men actually wore suits at the events. This year we were at the Captain's Table and one of the male guests wore an old polo shirt and no jacket had been offered. I'll continue to offer my two cents of observation in these "threads" (casual or formal) as long as people actually think that our individual opinions will change anyone's behaviour. I follow the guidelines but I wish that I could leave my formal attire at home. I see no improvement in the attire of younger cruisers... that tide has left many high and dry... ;)

The cruising industry is changing. There will be ever more posts from returning passengers reporting a larger number of people enjoying the dining room in more casual attire. Those who follow the code, expecting the more casually-attired passengers who also paid for the wonderful menu in the MDR to go eat casual, is an exercise in futility.

If that's true I'll be willing to bet the wonderful menu in the dining room won't be so wonderful either.

When we are dressed to code on formal evenings in the MDR it does not bother us in the least if someone at our table is not. Our enjoyment is not based on how a complete stranger at our table is dressed. We cannot change this hence we choose not to let it impact our enjoyment in any way.

We can remember many memorable details about a cruise and the people that we met in the MDR, but could not tell you how they were dressed.

I give up. I guess it's inevitable that we will all be wearing shorts and swimsuits to the dining room while we enjoy our burgers, fries and pizza. After all, that's the way it is now. Times have changed.:D

Why should they bother?

seriously?! what i wear (and i do follow "the code") should have an impact on the quality of food served... many, if not most, fine dining establishments request smart casual wear - they want the diners to be comfortable, while maintaining an upscale atmosphere. I don't like to dress up - i don't go to the MDR in smart casual on formal nights because it just isn't that big of a deal to me - I just eat elsewhere because frankly, the MDR food isn't all that anyway. there is just no good reason for me to bring formalwear - and I am grateful that X has opted to provide that "out" for me.

fwiw - if X wants to make formal night special and encourage folks to dress up, the food should warrant the effort that dressing up takes... right now, it does not - which is fine with me...

hubby and I tend to be very active on vacation - we generally come back to the ship after a long, muddy, sweaty, stinky day tired and filthy... last thing i want to do after, say climbing Mt. Liamigua, is spend several hours getting all dressed up for a banquet hall meal.... so i don't

Even though I think passengers should follow the ship's dress code, I don't think there is any relationship between quality of food and dress code. At the same time, I feel that there is a relationship between quality of food and cost of a cruise. So if a cruise line needs to lower its prices substantially to fill their ships, that is likely to have an impact on its dining experience.

My concern is twofold. First- I don't want to pack clothing I don't need.

Second -- I try to get the answers before I book a cruise, and if the cruise line doesn't offer what I am seeking, I will choose another.

The actual application of dress codes can be perplexing, and the problem with getting direct answers on CC is becoming more difficult because of posters who may know but don't offer specifics. Also, if the cruise line is relaxing their application of dress codes, it would be much more beneficial if they would follow the example set by NCL and Carnival and publish what they are actually doing instead of maintaining a false front to satisfy the desires of some of the traditionalists who don't want to accept the changes.

I assume your two concerns have been addessed. If you wish to follow the MDR Dress Code, then pack what is in line with the Dress Code. If you don't want to bring those clothes, then dine in another venue for those (2) nights, or play the chance game and show up wearing what you wish.

As to the application being perplexing and not getting direct answers here, I'm a bit 'perplexed' at you being 'perplexed'. The Dress Code is very clear. The numerous threads and posts state very clearly what it is and what level they have observed. What you have experienced is pretty much in line with that. And all of it is very clear - most follow the Dress Code. They can't be much clearer in their posts......most follow the Dress Code. Some dont' and many do get into the MDR, some are embarrassed by another adult handing them a jacket to wear, or being denied access.

Not sure what else you are looking for posters to say. Again to be be very clear, most follow the Dress Code; the rule is not universally upheld.

Yes, Celebrity has relaxed their Dress Code. Use to be Formal, Semi-formal and casual. Now it is Formal and smart casual. Formal has been opened up by dropping the 'dark' suit guideline, now it says 'suit'. But Celebrity has not 'relaxed their application' of the Dress Code. It has not been uniforming enforced since I started cruising with Celebrity since '97. Life in a business that isn't focusing on "We have ways of making you follow the Rules". The Line tries to maintain a more dressy night on Formal night and resticts the extreme casual on other night without turing it into a major issue...it is discussed here on this Forum over and over, but it isn't on the ship.

As to not applying the Dress Code, in my experience, it is relatively knew that they are handing out jackets. So to me, that is attempting to get people to follow the basic guidelines. So it is being 'enforced' and the enforcement hasn't been relaxed, and appears to be applied more. On my Euro cruises, 95% followed the rules; on my Caribbeans, probably closer to 75%....wild guesses by a guy who doesnt waste much time worrying about it.

Many 'rules' arent uniformly followed. Example, many people bring more han 2 wines per SR at embarkation and also get it into their SRs at other ports; the enforcement is a bit spotty...sound familiar. A 'rule' not strickly enforced and not enforced uniformally?? When we boarded in Santorini, our friends had 4 bottles of wine to bring home, theirs wasn't taken. We were behind them and ours was. Life Not cruising on a Police State cruise. We drive down our local highway 10mph above the speed limit. Sometimes we get nailed, sometimes we don't. Neither case means the rules should be dropped or relaxed, just accepting that Life is a bit flexible and variable.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you take with you. And if you would be upset and your cruise would be adversely impacted by being denied access to the MDR on Formal night in your nice shirt and pants with no jacket/tie or to be given a jacket to wear, then dine another place, pick another cruise, or, dare I say.....bring a suit. Up to you.

What I just posted has been said many, many, many........times.

Den

Just look at some of the discussions on other cruise line boards about people coming to dinner in shorts and swimsuits with coverups and you'll get the picture. If they can't enforce Formal Nights, how in the world could they ever enforce smart casual. If someone thinks formal wear is slacks and a shirt, what do you think the interpretation of smart casual is?

We're talking about large ships here that cater to a diverse clientele, not smaller specialty upscale cruise lines. The only way anything at all is controlled is by having a dress code for certain areas of the ship and offering casual alternatives.

How people dress most certainly has something to do with the quality of food. Do you wear formal wear to McDonalds?

Oh no not another dress code thread:confused::confused::confused:

Crazy isn't it. And this one is over 3 months old and someone dug it back up...what I call a Zombie Thread. As if they couldnt add to one of three active Dress Code posts that were ongoing. Ha!

Just look at some of the discussions on other cruise line boards about people coming to dinner in shorts and swimsuits with coverups and you'll get the picture. If they can't enforce Formal Nights, how in the world could they ever enforce smart casual. If someone thinks formal wear is slacks and a shirt, what do you think the interpretation of smart casual is?

Ma Bell, you know I hate the fact they call it "Smart Casual" because you know people are only seeing "CASUAL" and taking it from there.

We're talking about large ships here that cater to a diverse clientele, not smaller specialty upscale cruise lines. The only way anything at all is controlled is by having a dress code for certain areas of the ship and offering casual alternatives.

How people dress most certainly has something to do with the quality of food. Do you wear formal wear to McDonalds?

the Mcdonald's comparison is ridiculous - i honestly don't eat at mcdonald's - ever! i also dress up as infrequently as possible.... i don't care that much, realy - i just think if it is such a big deal, the food ought to match the required effort i'd have to put out....

what i don't get is why i don't get to be "offended" by folks wearing ties and jackets on smart casual nights? :-)

......Do you wear formal wear to McDonalds?

Yup. After a late night Formal party and most places are closed, been known to stop off...probably not McDonalds, but good ole Waffle House usually has two drunks about to pass out in their plate and 3 or 4 formal dress couples who joined us! And boy, does that waffle taste great eating it while wearing my Tux! It Does taste better....to me.

Den

the Mcdonald's comparison is ridiculous - i honestly don't eat at mcdonald's - ever! i also dress up as infrequently as possible.... i don't care that much, realy - i just think if it is such a big deal, the food ought to match the required effort i'd have to put out....

what i don't get is why i don't get to be "offended" by folks wearing ties and jackets on smart casual nights? :-)

Guess what, ties and jackets are smart casual.:eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_casual

I assume your two concerns have been addessed. If you wish to follow the MDR Dress Code, then pack what is in line with the Dress Code. If you don't want to bring those clothes, then dine in another venue for those (2) nights, or play the chance game and show up wearing what you wish.

As to the application being perplexing and not getting direct answers here, I'm a bit 'perplexed' at you being 'perplexed'. The Dress Code is very clear. The numerous threads and posts state very clearly what it is and what level they have observed. What you have experienced is pretty much in line with that. And all of it is very clear - most follow the Dress Code. They can't be much clearer in their posts......most follow the Dress Code. Some dont' and many do get into the MDR, some are embarrassed by another adult handing them a jacket to wear, or being denied access.

Not sure what else you are looking for posters to say. Again to be be very clear, most follow the Dress Code; the rule is not universally upheld.

Yes, Celebrity has relaxed their Dress Code. Use to be Formal, Semi-formal and casual. Now it is Formal and smart casual. Formal has been opened up by dropping the 'dark' suit guideline, now it says 'suit'. But Celebrity has not 'relaxed their application' of the Dress Code. It has not been uniforming enforced since I started cruising with Celebrity since '97. Life in a business that isn't focusing on "We have ways of making you follow the Rules". The Line tries to maintain a more dressy night on Formal night and resticts the extreme casual on other night without turing it into a major issue...it is discussed here on this Forum over and over, but it isn't on the ship.

As to not applying the Dress Code, in my experience, it is relatively knew that they are handing out jackets. So to me, that is attempting to get people to follow the basic guidelines. So it is being 'enforced' and the enforcement hasn't been relaxed, and appears to be applied more. On my Euro cruises, 95% followed the rules; on my Caribbeans, probably closer to 75%....wild guesses by a guy who doesnt waste much time worrying about it.

Many 'rules' arent uniformly followed. Example, many people bring more han 2 wines per SR at embarkation and also get it into their SRs at other ports; the enforcement is a bit spotty...sound familiar. A 'rule' not strickly enforced and not enforced uniformally?? When we boarded in Santorini, our friends had 4 bottles of wine to bring home, theirs wasn't taken. We were behind them and ours was. Life Not cruising on a Police State cruise. We drive down our local highway 10mph above the speed limit. Sometimes we get nailed, sometimes we don't. Neither case means the rules should be dropped or relaxed, just accepting that Life is a bit flexible and variable.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you take with you. And if you would be upset and your cruise would be adversely impacted by being denied access to the MDR on Formal night in your nice shirt and pants with no jacket/tie or to be given a jacket to wear, then dine another place, pick another cruise, or, dare I say.....bring a suit. Up to you.

What I just posted has been said many, many, many........times.

Den

Probably THE BEST post ever on a dress code thread on Cruise Critic. It should be posted as a sticky, and all other remarks, refutes, excuses, what ifs, can I, do you think this is ok, posts should be automatically redirected to it to answer the question.

BRAVO!!!!!

.....and Swedish weave, if your concerns aren't clearly answered for you now, then perhaps you should notconsider Celebrity

Archived