Am I Bothering my TA??????

I have called emailed and/or called my TA 3 times to call RCCL to take advantage of a price difference. For whatever reason I think that I am a Bother (I think it's me and not her). She is very helpful and does what ask. Is it much work for the TA to get this type of adjustment done? More important maybe, should I even worry about it??

No you are not bothering her. It should not take you 3 times to get them to get the price drop for you. Good luck

I may not have been clear stating my original question. I emailed 3 times for 3 different price changes the 3rd was this morning. Both were taken care of politely and right away. My question is, is this the norm to take advantage of multiple price reductions?? I understand this may sound like a stupid question, but I can't help but wonder how much a TA makes off a cruise ticket VS the work they need to do for it. Like I stated before it's probably me but I just try to do things right and not take advantage of people.

It is not the norm to request three price deductions because most cruises don't HAVE three price reductions. Consider yourself very fortunate to be eligible for three price reductions for the same cruise. Your TA's commission goes down with each price reduction but she is still making money off of your reservation. You are paying her to handle these price reductions. If she has a problem with it, it's time to find another TA.

I would expect you to take advantage of every price drop. Its not difficult to get done - only takes a phone call. Your TA is taking care of it politely and quickly so I wouldn't worry about it. And yes, with every price drop her commission drops as well. Congratulations on so many drops - thats great!

Its 7 in the morning people. I doubt the TA is even in the office yet. Why does everyone just jump all over the TA. The OP clearly stated this was the third request she just sent this morning and that both previous times the request was taken care of. I'm sure the TA will take care of it again.

Definitely consider yourself lucky that there have been three price drops. I am curious as to how this is being done because of the "Best Price Guarantee" which limits how long you can get a price adjustment. Unless of course you're agent is re-booking you every time.

It is not a bother to an agent, that is their job!!

Definitely consider yourself lucky that there have been three price drops. I am curious as to how this is being done because of the "Best Price Guarantee" which limits how long you can get a price adjustment. Unless of course you're agent is re-booking you every time.

It is not a bother to an agent, that is their job!!

The best price guarantee is only for cruises that must be paid in full at time of booking... does not apply to OP as they are still before final payment...

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using a TA? I have always dealt directly with a RCCL CVP so that I had direct access to making changes to the reservation.

The only advantage I've seen is if there is an issue you have someone to handle the problem for you. But with the lack of service we received this time around from our usual TA, I'm either in the market for a new one or we'll be booking directly from now on.

I have called emailed and/or called my TA 3 times to call RCCL to take advantage of a price difference. For whatever reason I think that I am a Bother (I think it's me and not her). She is very helpful and does what ask. Is it much work for the TA to get this type of adjustment done? More important maybe, should I even worry about it??

I know exactly what you mean!! I felt the same way when I was using an agent. I always felt guilty (and cheap) when I called about price adjustments. Then, one cruise we had to change cabins around and I felt even worse. So, for our RCCL cruises, I do not use an agent any more. We know more about this cruise line than many agents so I am very comfortable with it. I would probably rethink if I was going to Europe but even then I'm not sure I would use an agent.

I may not have been clear stating my original question. I emailed 3 times for 3 different price changes the 3rd was this morning. Both were taken care of politely and right away. My question is, is this the norm to take advantage of multiple price reductions?? I understand this may sound like a stupid question, but I can't help but wonder how much a TA makes off a cruise ticket VS the work they need to do for it. Like I stated before it's probably me but I just try to do things right and not take advantage of people.

Thanks for the clarification. I stand by my original answer. No you are not bothering them. How would anyone know that they would be lucky enought to get three prices drops. I would have called to get them all as well.

While price drops do affect the commission, a good TA will do it willingly and pleasantly. Now, that comes with the caveat that you need to know if your agency has a fee that is charged for price drops. In general, every $100 or so price drop affects commission by about $15-$18 or so depending on the size of the agency and their arrangement with the cruise line. But one of the things that agents want is good customer relations. If you're happy with the service you've gotten, you'll be more likely to (a) book with them again and (b) recommend them to friends and family. That's how TAs build business.

Do not be upset. It appears your agent has been making the adjustments without incident and I'm sure is happy you're saving money (yes, TAs are happy when their clients are happy).

I just got off the phone with my TA. She took care of the price reduction I requested but sounded very rushed to get me off the phone. She told me that there is no need for me to call & tell them about the prices because they monitor them. Maybe they do but the last reduction of 165.00pp they did not catch. Personally I cannot see how a small TA can monitor cruise prices due to the variables in dates, categories, decks, cabin types.

I also booked my cruise with a TA – company that I am a member of – so I am getting great OBC for our JS. I did ask if the price drops can I call and get an adjustment or if your company offers any other specials can I get those? She told me that would be no problem except it would be a $25 fee each time. I was ok with this as none of my cruises have ever had a price drop. But if the drop was enough I would still pay the $25 fee.

Just make sure you are not paying a fee each time you request the change, also kind of sounds like she is getting a little annoyed now … if you get another big drop it might be worth looking at changing the reservation to RCI… Like you said, not sure how they can “monitor” price drops for you.

Good luck! :)

I just got off the phone with my TA. She took care of the price reduction I requested but sounded very rushed to get me off the phone. She told me that there is no need for me to call & tell them about the prices because they monitor them. Maybe they do but the last reduction of 165.00pp they did not catch. Personally I cannot see how a small TA can monitor cruise prices due to the variables in dates, categories, decks, cabin types.

My TA caught a price drop that I had missed. Apparently it was only there for a short period of time. I knew nothing about it until final payment. When the number was much less that I thought it would be, I questioned her as to why. She said 'Oh, on such and such date, there was a price drop and I applied it to your reservation'. If not for the TA, that's one price reduction that I would have missed out on.

While price drops do affect the commission, a good TA will do it willingly and pleasantly. Now, that comes with the caveat that you need to know if your agency has a fee that is charged for price drops. In general, every $100 or so price drop affects commission by about $15-$18 or so depending on the size of the agency and their arrangement with the cruise line. But one of the things that agents want is good customer relations. If you're happy with the service you've gotten, you'll be more likely to (a) book with them again and (b) recommend them to friends and family. That's how TAs build business.

Do not be upset. It appears your agent has been making the adjustments without incident and I'm sure is happy you're saving money (yes, TAs are happy when their clients are happy).

I agree with Janet...a good TA...like me;), does it willingly and pleasantly. I want my customers to be happy!! Then they will recommend me to their friend and family!! Just good business!!

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using a TA? I have always dealt directly with a RCCL CVP so that I had direct access to making changes to the reservation.

My advantage is dealing with problems but also that she gives us pre paid gratuities and/or OBC. I figure it's a win/win for both us us. Her commission comes from the line and I'm paying exactly what everyone else is.

I always email my TA with price reductions, but she is fanatical about her email. We have a joke between us that my price drops just mean that's more money I have to spend on another cruise (if I get a credit on my credit card).

I told her once I felt guilty about the drops to her commission, and she said I've sent her so much business and made her so much money over the years, that she wishes she could GIVE me her commissions. Before RCCL stopped it that's exactly what she used to do.

So, if you found one she didn't, then I would definitely email and follow-up about each one. Also, make sure she knows that you are sticking with her for future business, and recommending her to eveyone you know.

My clients pay me a consultation fee for the services I provide for them which does include price monitoring to a point. For more detailed monitoring, they pay a fee.

As most clients do not book their second cruise with the same agent as their first, it make no sense for most agents to actively try to lose money by actively searching for a discount. The agents I know do charge a fee for every client initiated change.

Thankfully there are choices for everyone.

My clients pay me a consultation fee for the services I provide for them which does include price monitoring to a point. For more detailed monitoring, they pay a fee.

As most clients do not book their second cruise with the same agent as their first, it make no sense for most agents to actively try to lose money by actively searching for a discount. The agents I know do charge a fee for every client initiated change.

Thankfully there are choices for everyone.

Just curious (I'm not a TA so don't know these things) - doesn't that hurt your business? I would imagine that the only people who would be willing to pay a consultation fee are the people who are simply not capable of booking and monitoring the cruise themselves.

At what point will it save you money to initiate a change with a price drop? Do you charge for upgrades (not "free" upgrades, but when a client decides to pay more), as well?

I guess what I'm getting at is how $$ are these fees?

Just curious (I'm not a TA so don't know these things) - doesn't that hurt your business? I would imagine that the only people who would be willing to pay a consultation fee are the people who are simply not capable of booking and monitoring the cruise themselves.

At what point will it save you money to initiate a change with a price drop? Do you charge for upgrades (not "free" upgrades, but when a client decides to pay more), as well?

I guess what I'm getting at is how $$ are these fees?

My thoughts exactly. My TA has to turn business away, and only takes on new clients that are referred to her by current clients. She never charges me a penny for any of her services, and I've been with her for 14 years.

Archived