Costa neoRomantica departs on her first cruise after refit

Capricruiser

After her 90 million euro refit, almost new Costa neoRomantica sailed from Savona this evening on her maiden cruise with 1600 passengers aboard. A quiet ceremony marked the event with Costa executives and local civil and religious officials in attendance with minute of silence to remember the 32 deaths of the Concordia. The most junior member of the Concordia's crew and a Costa Club member served as godmothers at the ceremony.

The neoRomantic's first port of call will be tomorrow at Barcelona.

A passenger took some photos of the beautifully restored ship which can be seen with this link: http://forum.crocieristi.it/showthre...a-bordo!/page1

She looks awesome! Actually reminds me more of the cutting edge style that Costa used to be renown for. Thank god Costa didn't use Joe Farcus as the designer like they do for the newbuilds. Those all look like Carnival Cruise Lines clones, transplanted directly from a mid-grade Vegas hotel.

NeoRomantica is a standout in an otherwise unremarkable fleet. It helps that she was originally built and designed pre-Carnival.

Ernie

Totally Restyled Costa neoRomantica Departs Savona on First Cruise

by Costa Cruises on Friday, 2 March 2012 at 20:09 ·

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (March 2, 2012) — The totally restyled Costa neoRomantica departed Savona, Italy, today with 1,600 guests on board, following a private naming ceremony.

On the occasion of Costa neoRomantica’s inaugural sailing from Savona, Costa Crociere top management attended a private blessing ceremony conducted by His Excellency Vittorio Lupi, Bishop of Savona.

At the beginning of the blessing ceremony, one minute of silence was observed in respect and mourning for the victims of Costa Concordia.

Following long-standing maritime tradition, a bottle of champagne was broken across the ship’s hull. Serving as Costa neoRomantica’s godmothers were Francesca Scuffi, a member of the Costa Club for repeat guests, and Gabriella Gentile, a member of Costa Concordia’s crew that were on board Jan. 13, 2012. She was chosen as a symbol of the gratitude the company expresses toward Costa Concordia’s crew.

Costa neoRomantica was virtually a new ship when it left San Giorgio del Porto shipyard in Genoa. The five-month restyling represents an investment by Costa Cruises of approximately US$120 million (90 million euros), one of the most expensive and extensive cruise ship refit projects ever undertaken in the industry.

Costa neoRomantica’s interior design has a contemporary, elegant and refined style created by Swedish architectural firm Tillberg Design and Syntax, the London firm specializing in prestigious hotels and spa.

Costa neoRomantica departed today on an 11-night round-trip Canary Islands cruise calling at Barcelona, Spain; Casablanca and Agadir, Morocco; Arrecife and Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands; Funchal (Madeira), Portugal and Malaga, Spain.

Thanks Capricruiser for posting the pictures. I was originally booked on Magica, but was shifted to NeoRomantica by Costa, also my sail date was changed, my itinerary was also changed but at least i was kept in a balcony cabin - all without Costa contacting me! I was really annoyed by this lack of customer care but looking at the photos of the remodel i am really impressed and looking forward to sailing in her, i hope the cruise reviews are positive.

Thanks Capricruiser for posting the pictures. I was originally booked on Magica, but was shifted to NeoRomantica by Costa, also my sail date was changed, my itinerary was also changed but at least i was kept in a balcony cabin - all without Costa contacting me! I was really annoyed by this lack of customer care but looking at the photos of the remodel i am really impressed and looking forward to sailing in her, i hope the cruise reviews are positive.

Sounds like Costa's communication skills are severely lacking, but trust me you are on the far superior ship. The COSTA MAGICA is basically like sailing on CARNIVAL VICTORY. Same ship design and same interior designer. Very loud decor and lots and lots of people.

I think you will appreciate the much more sophisticated decor or COSTA NeoROMANTICA, and also the fact she carries far fewer passengers. Much nicer for seeing the ports in Europe.

Ernie

Sounds like Costa's communication skills are severely lacking, but trust me you are on the far superior ship. The COSTA MAGICA is basically like sailing on CARNIVAL VICTORY. Same ship design and same interior designer. Very loud decor and lots and lots of people.

I think you will appreciate the much more sophisticated decor or COSTA NeoROMANTICA, and also the fact she carries far fewer passengers. Much nicer for seeing the ports in Europe.

Ernie

Ernie, having been on the Magica twice, I totally agree that these interior are absolutely stunning and completely opposite those on the Magica. They're going to like the interiors MUCH better on this ship. I am very impressed and thankful that they did not "Joe Farcus" the ship! This is what I would expect to see on an Italian ship, classic european design. Don't like the appendages hung on the side of the ship, spoiling her lines a bit, but we all want our balconies!

Ken

Glad to hear you got fixed up Bendigo. I think initially there was just chaos, we too, were re organised, but put from a suite to a porthhole :eek: . However, within days, they were on the case, and got us sorted back into suite and balcony albeit cruising from another port, but very happy with the outcome. Even more so now seeing this beautiful ship.

Thought the private ceremony, with member of Concordia as a Godmother, a fitting touch.

I think she is stunning. Under the current circumstances, her re birth was very subdued, but perhaps apt, and fitting, that one so beautiful, should slip quietly to sea, in respect to those lost in such tragedy.

Hopefully in her calm, she is a sign of the hope and light of the future and casts a light, at the end of the a very dark tunnel.

wouw all I can say is WOUW- what an extraordianry job they have done with the old Lady- it looks just like a Celebrity - ship. So they finally got rid of this Fergus - Guy who fittet so many ships from Carnival/Costa in those brass and tack colors. Sorry wont offend those who love their" style" !

Michael

wouw all I can say is WOUW- what an extraordianry job they have done with the old Lady- it looks just like a Celebrity - ship. So they finally got rid of this Fergus - Guy who fittet so many ships from Carnival/Costa in those brass and tack colors. Sorry wont offend those who love their" style" !

Michael

An interesting comment and exactly what I was thinking when I saw the photos. Our family are Elite members on Celebrity and enjoy their ships. The re-fitted Costa neoRomantica looks very much like a Celebrity ship. Clearly this design is a departure from the more 'colorful" outfitting on some other Costa ships (which I must admit my teenage kids think is "cool").

Lots more pictures now released. The WOW factor just gets bigger and bigger. Really beautiful ship. The Saint Tropez Lido Deck is a mega WOW!! Every day, seeing more and more of her, especially on the European FB pages, amazing ship, incredible pictures, cannot wait to sail on her!

Lots more pictures now released. The WOW factor just gets bigger and bigger. Really beautiful ship. The Saint Tropez Lido Deck is a mega WOW!! Every day, seeing more and more of her, especially on the European FB pages, amazing ship, incredible pictures, cannot wait to sail on her!

Any links to the pics? Would love to see them.

Very nice. I really like the much more Northern European aesthetic that some of those in the industry are moving toward with designs.

neoRomantica looks fantastic. I would say design-wise she is in the same realm as the newer Celebrity ships and once-Celebrity, now refurbed TUI fleet. The designers did a great job mixing the Scandinavian aesthetic with the Italian.

Echoing some others in this thread, I'm glad to see that Farcus is finally being abandoned. CCL is quickly moving away from his work and I hope that Costa can follow in that direction. I really admire the Costa ships from the pre-Carnival Corp days and I would like to see them return to their European design roots.

Archived