Traveling Alone

hexdragon

It is beginning to look like I will be on my own for my next cruise (neither friends or family want to go :(). What will happen to me for dining? Will I be added to a table that is not full, or will all the single travelers be put on the same table?

When traveling solo...

I use the Select feature. Show up when I want to eat, say, "I to share"...and have a lovely evening with friendly people!

FYI..often the same folks show up at the same time and friendships/acqantances are made.

VERY easy!

When traveling solo...

I use the Select feature. Show up when I want to eat, say, "I to share"...and have a lovely evening with friendly people!

FYI..often the same folks show up at the same time and friendships/acqantances are made.

VERY easy!

tried to edit...

that should read. 1 [ONE] to share, not I...LOL

I've been put with both singles and couples, but never all singles on Celebrity (have been on Crystal, but a handsome officer also joined us, so it was alright). One great cruise I was at a table for 10 with 3 solos and 3 couples, plus myself...it was fantastic. On my last cruise I was at a table of 8 with 3 couples and we had a great time (another solo was suspose to be at the table, but never showed up, which was okay because we had them take their chair away for more room). On my last cruise, we even went to the alternative restaurant together one night.

One tip, I always ask those at my table to let me know if they are not going to be there the next night - my worst nightmare would be to show up and be the only one at the table.

You might find someone to share a table with on your Roll Call - you would meet them over the internet beforehand - or do as suggested by Barbarapga - and do Select dining. If you don't do either, and choose MDR dining - my favorite dining style - don't be hesitant to ask to be moved if you are uncomfortable for any reasons. The Asst Maitre'D will be able to help you find a great table for you.

I'm sure you will have fun - and meet many interesting people.

I like the tip from NLH too - last cruise we were at a table for 10, that was a table for 2 on the first formal night. We switched tables after that.

B

My problem is, in person I am rather shy until I feel comfortable. here online (where I am anonymous) I am a total rascal :D. I am afraid of being at a table with 3 couples who all know each other for a long time and feeling like I am intruding.

My first cruise (Disney) my two friends and I were placed with a family. They did talk with us, but they mostly talked with each other...

My problem is, in person I am rather shy until I feel comfortable. here online (where I am anonymous) I am a total rascal :D. I am afraid of being at a table with 3 couples who all know each other for a long time and feeling like I am intruding.

My first cruise (Disney) my two friends and I were placed with a family. They did talk with us, but they mostly talked with each other...

I've never been seated with people that knew each other (well, other than the couples themselves). Everyone is a stranger and usually the first night is "get to know each other night" and then from then on it is just fun, fun, fun. If it does happen that you are at a table where you do not feel comfortable, simply asked to be moved.

I would suggest that you choose the set time dining. You will have the same people at your table each night. If you choose select dining, you run the risk of not having anyone at the time you come in wanting to sit with someone else and might have to dine alone. Also with select dining, you will have to possibly meet new people every night and if you are shy, you might be more uncomfortable with that. JMHO

It is beginning to look like I will be on my own for my next cruise (neither friends or family want to go :(). What will happen to me for dining? Will I be added to a table that is not full, or will all the single travelers be put on the same table?

Hi there,

I have sailed alone for both my Celebrity cruises. I was seated at a table of 8 the first cruise, then a table of 6 on the second. I never had a problem with my table companions not showing up. In both cases I was seated with a mix of couples and singles. Not to worry.

I have cruised solo. On those ocations I have chosen select dining. When you arrive for dinner, you can decide if you want to share or dine on your own. I am very happy dining on my own but if you wish to share, that is no problem. Under the select dining option, you do not have to worry about people not showing at dinner time. You wil most probably have different dinner companions and you will arrive after them. Enjoy your solo trip!

I just returned from my solo voyage Around the Horn on Infinity. Had Select Dining and went to the select area of Trellis Dining Room ten of the 14 nights. Half of those ten nights I found myself either at a table for eight alone the entire meal as "no one who wants to share comes this late [around 8:45]" per the hostess--or at a table for two as all the large tables were full (contradicting hostess comment above). Admittedly Select Dining was only added to the Infinity two months ago and there are still shakedown problems to be fixed, but I heard several waiters and headwaiters comment that even though that is what the public demands, there are far too many tables for two in the Select area which is contributing to waiting time at the door and slowing down the service overall. My advice: stick with Traditional Dining times.

Hex - definitely go to your roll call and meet your fellow passengers. I have always gone fixed for my solo cruises. I am shy myself. i have had some tables better than others. You can always ask to be moved too. I like having familiar people each evening at dinner but that is my preference.

i did have the dreaded "no one showed up for dinner". This happened last year. the other 3 at my table did not bring dress clothing so i was alone at a table for 6 all dressed up. The maitre d' was worthless. He could get jackets for the men but that was his only solution. He treated me like i had the plague. I finally punted and went for a walk and eventually ended up at the lido. I joined one of my casual table mates for dinner. It turned out to be a great conversation. The next formal night i ate with people i met on an excursion. You never know who you will meet so be open when meeting people.

P.S. Hex you can be slightly outrageous on a cruise because most likely you will never see those people again. Have a great time

Definitely get on board with your roll call and meet fellow passengers, couples and other solo cruisers. By the time you board (after months of chatting on line) you'll have friends to hang out with.

Monica

Sorry that is so not true with some roll calls.

Annie

If you go with traditional, you can also ask your travel agent to request being seated with other solo cruisers.

Lois R travels solo all the time. Hopefully she'll pop in with some advice as well.

Lots of good info here. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Do check out your roll call!

Definitely get on board with your roll call and meet fellow passengers, couples and other solo cruisers. By the time you board (after months of chatting on line) you'll have friends to hang out with.

Monica

Hey Monica just saw your post and had to say HI!

Bob

If you go with traditional, you can also ask your travel agent to request being seated with other solo cruisers.

Lois R travels solo all the time. Hopefully she'll pop in with some advice as well.

Lots of good info here. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Do check out your roll call!

Hi,:) not here as much but since you mentioned me I will reply.

For many years I was strictly a "Traditional Diner".....sailing solo

I always wanted the same waiter/table etc. I have tried Select on

my last 2 cruises......the last one I sat with another friend

from the roll call which was nice. The 1 prior to that I didn't

eat in the dining room every night but I did do Select and sat with

different folks. And I ate Specialty on my own a couple of nights.

Now my upcoming cruise? I am linked with folks from my roll call

who are very fun and we are doing Select together.:) We hit

it off very well and are also going to at least one Specialty

Restaurant together.

I agree not all Roll Calls are a "giving group"....it really just depends

on the people.

I enjoy sitting with others for dinner so if I don't have roll call mates

to join me? I might go back to Traditional.....the Maitr'ds are usually

quite helpful if you want to change tables.

I usually travel by myself (17 transatlantics and counting). I like traditional set dining--aside from the innate virtues (waitstaff know your preferences)you have an instant group of acquaintances (often I've gone to the specialty restaurants with table mates, avoiding the empty table risk). I vote for asking for a table for 6--if the table gets too big the conversation

breaks up and it turns into a banquet experience. And if you should happen to find your assigned companions not to your liking by all means ask to switch--quite usual and no eyebrows will bed raised.

Hi,:) not here as much but since you mentioned me I will reply.

For many years I was strictly a "Traditional Diner".....sailing solo

I always wanted the same waiter/table etc. I have tried Select on

my last 2 cruises......the last one I sat with another friend

from the roll call which was nice. The 1 prior to that I didn't

eat in the dining room every night but I did do Select and sat with

different folks. And I ate Specialty on my own a couple of nights.

Now my upcoming cruise? I am linked with folks from my roll call

who are very fun and we are doing Select together.:) We hit

it off very well and are also going to at least one Specialty

Restaurant together.

I agree not all Roll Calls are a "giving group"....it really just depends

on the people.

I enjoy sitting with others for dinner so if I don't have roll call mates

to join me? I might go back to Traditional.....the Maitr'ds are usually

quite helpful if you want to change tables.

Awww, I felt so loved. :D

Email the cruise line well in advance and place a request for a separate table for a solo cruiser (actually that will be a table for 2).

Once on the ship, see Maitre D asap to reserve a table for 1.

I happened to cruise solo a few times and always managed to get a separate table.

I have cruised many times by myself and did just fine. I joined in with other people I met while cruising. Once people found out I was on my own, I got lots of invites to join in. It was a bit strange eating breakfast by myself, but sometimes I just got room service and enjoyed my time on the balcony. I have several cruises planned, some by myself. Let me know when and what ship you are going on maybe we can meet up?

Archived