Driving to Miami from Northern VA

agc291

We are looking to drive to Miami for our next cruise from Northern Virginia (about 20 miles south of DC). I have seen a lot of threads on here regarding Florida Toll Roads... if we were to take I95 all the way down would we hit these tolls or are these on a seperate highway? Is I95 the best route? I drove to Florida years ago(Orlando) for a school trip, I didnt actually drive so I paid no attention to any of this as to give me some sort of direction.

There are no tolls on 95 in Florida. The only drawback using 95 is there can be heavy traffic in the FLL- MIA area. FYI, the Florida Turnpike (toll) runs alongside 95 from Ft. Pierce south to MIA

Wow that is one long drive! :eek:

And of course having your EZ Pass work with the FLA toll system makes too much sense for any government agency to have made it happen. :mad:

You can skip the tolls, or stop at any Publix grocery store in the Jacksonville area and buy one -- unless the store can help you will need to go on line to register your plate number with your Sun Pass.

Good luck! :)

We are looking to drive to Miami for our next cruise from Northern Virginia (about 20 miles south of DC). I have seen a lot of threads on here regarding Florida Toll Roads... if we were to take I95 all the way down would we hit these tolls or are these on a seperate highway? Is I95 the best route? I drove to Florida years ago(Orlando) for a school trip, I didnt actually drive so I paid no attention to any of this as to give me some sort of direction.

We live in Arlington and the trip to Pompano Beach (just north of Fort Lauderdale) is about 15 hours. Add another hour to get to Miami. It's a straight shot down I95 (on mapquest we had 1 stop light before getting onto 395 and maybe a dozen after getting off - not bad in 16 hours of driving!). It is a long but easy drive - we split it up by spending the night in Jacksonville (about 11 hours into the trip).

Archived