Smoking question

mustardgirl

Designated smoking areas on the ship is a decision based on profit, not rights. But really if you think you can smoke on me, freely without derision, why can not I emanate an equally annoying scent toward you?

How did this become personal? If you don't like the smoke, complain to Carnival. Or, better yet, avoid Carnival and cruise on a smoke free cruise line. There were suggestions in an earlier post. Good Luck!

What RIGHTS??? There are no smokers rights. Every jurisdiction with a brain is preventing normal non addict folks from having their quality of life diminished by others who could smoke there lungs out anywhere they want, as long as it is not in my face. THAT is the issue. Don't do it in my presence and I will not spray skunk smell on you.

But smokers still have areas where they can smoke. All you have to to do is stay out of those areas so you don't have to worry about someone smoking in your presence and you won't be arested for assault.

How did this become personal? If you don't like the smoke, complain to Carnival. Or, better yet, avoid Carnival and cruise on a smoke free cruise line. There were suggestions in an earlier post. Good Luck!

It became personal when you mentioned RIGHTS. Carnival is not smoking you are. It is a movement, and you have seen it coming. No public smoking anywhere where others are bothered. You must have no idea just how annoying it is to smell tobacco smoke.

Designated smoking areas on the ship is a decision based on profit, not rights. But really if you think you can smoke on me, freely without derision, why can not I emanate an equally annoying scent toward you?

As a nonsmoker I realize if I cruise with Carnival there will be smokers so I deal with it. And I do believe that most smokers do respect the rules and try to obey them. However I think it would be funny to see somebody spray a rude smoker with skunk scent.

It became personal when you mentioned RIGHTS. Carnival is not smoking you are. It is a movement, and you have seen it coming. No public smoking anywhere where others are bothered. You must have no idea just how annoying it is to smell tobacco smoke.

It is just as annoying that some one wants to commit a criminal act because some is doing something they are entitled to do on some one else's private property.

This is coming from a nonsmoker.

I guess we'll cross that bridge, WHEN and IF, it happens. In the meantime, avoid the smoking areas. It would be in everyone's best interest.:rolleyes:

Smoke em while you can....it will only get more restrictive

I hope they add more "spa" cabins to all ships....and charge smokers more for the other balconies

I have to laugh at the "designated smoking places" label

sad to see the addicted parents with their little kids in the smoking allowed area....I feel bad for the kids. Wonder how many have asthma attacks

The fact is that smoke smells bad, gets in my eyes and hair and yuck. Smokers smell bad. The odor clings to them, it is on their breath.

Smoking is one "habit" that really affects others....I don't care if you bite your nails or twist your hair or chew gum...but the smell of smoke is really annoying.

So someone tell me why they are adding a cigar bar to the sunshine/destiny?

I don't think it is a "cigar bar" ...the other ships still have "cigar bars" but they are now non smoking. Carnival has "deck plans" that say one thing but are another (disco vs nightclub.....supper club vs steakhouse)

The Freedom has a cigar themed "Havana" former cigar bar ...the tables look like cigars, the pictures are old Cuban cigar company ads/posters...but you can not smoke in there at all <grin>

I guess we'll cross that bridge, WHEN and IF, it happens. In the meantime, avoid the smoking areas. It would be in everyone's best interest.:rolleyes:

Actually you KNOW what would be in everyone's best interest. But you are not up to it. Admit it.

The Freedom has a cigar themed "Havana" former cigar bar ...the tables look like cigars, the pictures are old Cuban cigar company ads/posters...but you can not smoke in there at all <grin>

And it was really, really nice to be able to sit in there in the evenings and listen to the band, Music Highlights, and have it be smoke-free. Much better use of the room, instead of just as a bar for cigar smokers to smoke in.

As a nonsmoker I realize if I cruise with Carnival there will be smokers so I deal with it. And I do believe that most smokers do respect the rules and try to obey them. However I think it would be funny to see somebody spray a rude smoker with skunk scent.

It'd be funny until the assault charges were filed...smoking, while disagreeable to many, is still legal. Spraying a person with skunk scent likely is not.

It'd be funny until the assault charges were filed...smoking, while disagreeable to many, is still legal. Spraying a person with skunk scent likely is not.

A) I think you are taking what I said just a bit too literal. But still would be funny since I wouldnt be the one arrested! :D

B) There are these things called "laws" that DOES state smoking is illegal in many areas. :rolleyes:

OP - you have the answer to your question; but I will say, as a smoker - the breeze is such on a side balcony, you rarely are disturbed by a neighbors smoke. My DH is NOT a smoker and he is always amazed at the "complaining" because of smoking neighbors (especially on this board) because he says that you cannot even smell it. The only time he knows a neighbor is smoking is when he hears the "click" of their lighter.

Have Fun and don't stress - :)

We have a side balcony and I was really happy to read this.. not so much because it bothers me.. but my daughter is sensitive to it. Thanks !

A) I think you are taking what I said just a bit too literal. But still would be funny since I wouldnt be the one arrested! :D

B) There are these things called "laws" that DOES state smoking is illegal in many areas. :rolleyes:

Perhaps I did take what you said too literally but highly doubt it given that you'd still find it funny. Even so, the option of assaulting a person (which is always going to be illegal because of those "things called laws") because they are engaging in something someone else feels is "rude" (but did not specify occurring in an area which would make it illegal--I think the original reference was someone smoking in the poster's presence, which could include a balcony where it is legal) of too much concern to let it pass. I hate to think that we come on here to encourage each other to engage in dangerous, illegal and ill conceived behavior in response to anything.

We have a side balcony and I was really happy to read this.. not so much because it bothers me.. but my daughter is sensitive to it. Thanks !

You are welcome. I really do not think you will have an issue with it! The winds are such that smoke does not even REMOTELY linger in your area.

Have Fun!

Perhaps I did take what you said too literally but highly doubt it given that you'd still find it funny. Even so, the option of assaulting a person (which is always going to be illegal because of those "things called laws") because they are engaging in something someone else feels is "rude" (but did not specify occurring in an area which would make it illegal--I think the original reference was someone smoking in the poster's presence, which could include a balcony where it is legal) of too much concern to let it pass. I hate to think that we come on here to encourage each other to engage in dangerous, illegal and ill conceived behavior in response to anything.

Nicely said, I think some people just come on here for the kicks of it and to see what they can stir up instead of using the threads for it's intention..INFORMATION

I am a smoker, book balconies because of that and I am not mad. You have a right to ask, and make your decisions for you. there is a lot of air going by the balconies, I doubt you would get smoked out! I saw our neighbor 3 times in our entire week cruise. You may never see yours, they may not smoke like you.....just go and enjoy your cruise. See, we can all get along. If my neighbor had asked me to not smoke while she was there, I would have done as asked!

I to am a smoker that's why I buy a Balcony and NO i will not not light up If my neighbors complain . I paid extra for getting a room where I can smoke seeing as the Lido deck is now much smaller on Magic and will not accommodate all the smokers yet the non smoking side is almost empty go figure

There are TWO posters on this site that have really URKED me with their nasty, stupid comments, however, getting AWAY from them.....I AM a smoker, and I book balconies for that reason. HOWEVER, if there are people out on their balconies, I will respect them. And I will NOT smoke in any enclosed area, even if it's allowed. Seriously, I don't even like the smell. But yes, if I am outside, and nobody is around, and there is a breeze and I am a HUNDRED miles off shore...I will smoke. I know we are the minority, and I am used to it, however, if I am following the rules, I don't expect, nor do I want people walking by me, making coughing sounds, or choking. You should know where the designated smoking areas are, and if it bothers you, stay away from that area. It's that simple. Otherwise, complain to Carnival. It's their rules....I am just following them. :)

There are TWO posters on this site that have really URKED me with their nasty, stupid comments, however, getting AWAY from them.....I AM a smoker, and I book balconies for that reason. HOWEVER, if there are people out on their balconies, I will respect them. And I will NOT smoke in any enclosed area, even if it's allowed. Seriously, I don't even like the smell. But yes, if I am outside, and nobody is around, and there is a breeze and I am a HUNDRED miles off shore...I will smoke. I know we are the minority, and I am used to it, however, if I am following the rules, I don't expect, nor do I want people walking by me, making coughing sounds, or choking. You should know where the designated smoking areas are, and if it bothers you, stay away from that area. It's that simple. Otherwise, complain to Carnival. It's their rules....I am just following them. :)

It is ironic you say this (and we smokers feel the need to "explain" ourselves) - a couple of years ago, before all of the new smoking policies - we were in the cigar bar. I was having a cigarette after dinner and DH was having a cigar. A family walked through the bar (from the aft dining area on the Liberty) and literally gagged and coughed all the way through the bar. I heard the Mom say to her kiddos "OMG, close your mouth again, its that smoking area we HAVE to walk through!" I just laughed and thought to myself, Lady there is another area that is completely smoke free and it's called the Promenade.

Now granted, she may not have been familiar with the ship; but it was the end of the cruise, I'm sure she just didn't want to be inconvenienced by having to turn right instead of going straight out of the dining room.

Like my Daddy always said - "when they are talking about you baby, they are lettin' somebody else rest."

Happy Cruising to everyone!

Smoke em while you can....it will only get more restrictive

I hope they add more "spa" cabins to all ships....and charge smokers more for the other balconies

I have to laugh at the "designated smoking places" label

sad to see the addicted parents with their little kids in the smoking allowed area....I feel bad for the kids. Wonder how many have asthma attacks

The fact is that smoke smells bad, gets in my eyes and hair and yuck. Smokers smell bad. The odor clings to them, it is on their breath.

Smoking is one "habit" that really affects others....I don't care if you bite your nails or twist your hair or chew gum...but the smell of smoke is really annoying.

I'm curious do you drink?

It is ironic you say this (and we smokers feel the need to "explain" ourselves) - a couple of years ago, before all of the new smoking policies - we were in the cigar bar. I was having a cigarette after dinner and DH was having a cigar. A family walked through the bar (from the aft dining area on the Liberty) and literally gagged and coughed all the way through the bar. I heard the Mom say to her kiddos "OMG, close your mouth again, its that smoking area we HAVE to walk through!" I just laughed and thought to myself, Lady there is another area that is completely smoke free and it's called the Promenade.

Now granted, she may not have been familiar with the ship; but it was the end of the cruise, I'm sure she just didn't want to be inconvenienced by having to turn right instead of going straight out of the dining room.

Like my Daddy always said - "when they are talking about you baby, they are lettin' somebody else rest."

Happy Cruising to everyone!

AMEN!!!! :) Thanks!!! P.S. We still have SOME rights!!!!:D

Archived