Smoking question

mustardgirl

Just wanting to find out about smoking on balconies.... From what I read on the new smoking rules is that people can smoke on their own balcony, now does this mean that it doesn't matter what side of the ship you are on anymore?? Or is it still only on one side of the ship.

I'm worried cause we don't smoke, and got a balcony room in order to enjoy it. Just wondering if we will be smoked out of sitting on our balcony.

BTW I'm not trying to get smokers all mad or anything, the rules say they can smoke on their balcony, just wanting to know if that means one side of the ship or both.

Thanks in advance!

I am a smoker, book balconies because of that and I am not mad. You have a right to ask, and make your decisions for you. there is a lot of air going by the balconies, I doubt you would get smoked out! I saw our neighbor 3 times in our entire week cruise. You may never see yours, they may not smoke like you.....just go and enjoy your cruise. See, we can all get along. If my neighbor had asked me to not smoke while she was there, I would have done as asked!

I'm worried cause we don't smoke, and got a balcony room in order to enjoy it. Just wondering if we will be smoked out of sitting on our balcony.

Get ready for the possibility of being smoked out. We had a balcony on our last cruise aboard the Dream and our neighbors were chain smokers. It didn't matter if it was 6am, noon, or 10pm, they were out there smoking.

Will it bother you? It will all depend on your level of tolerance. My wife absolutely hated it and didn't use the balcony. I didn't care as much, and while I could still smell it, I could tolerate it.

Unfortunately they still do allow smoking on balconies. We had people who enjoyed being out on their balcony just as much as I enjoyed being out on ours, but they did smoke a lot. While cruising it wasn't bad, as there was usually a nice breeze. But in port it did get a little bothersome. They were out there smoking quite often, when I was sitting on our balcony reading. I can tolerate it but didn't enjoy it, if that makes any sense. :)

The worst was one morning when I ordered room service breakfast and was eating it on the balcony, someone was smoking a cigar. :( Kind of made breakfast a little less enjoyable having to smell that.

It's just the luck of the draw if you will have smokers beside you or not.

We are both smokers and booked a balcony for that reason.

However, if our neighbour complained nicely that our smoking was bothering them we would cease and desist. :)

We are both smokers and booked a balcony for that reason.

However, if our neighbour complained nicely that our smoking was bothering them we would cease and desist. :)

Agreed!!! We booked a balcony for our upcoming Pride cruise in April. I am a smoker but DH is not. However, while he is OK with it, if someone was annoyed with it or asked me not to, I would try to respect their wishes. Another thought though....I would just think when you are cruising, there is such an incredible breeze you really wouldn't smell it. I guess I'm wrong.:confused:

Just off the Conquest where we had a nice aft balcony but we did have smokers on each side of us.

Some mornings we would have to go back inside because the guy next to us had to cough up his lung to get his day started.

I cough in the morning, but my lung stays IN!;)

Just wanting to find out about smoking on balconies.... From what I read on the new smoking rules is that people can smoke on their own balcony, now does this mean that it doesn't matter what side of the ship you are on anymore?? Or is it still only on one side of the ship.

BTW I'm not trying to get smokers all mad or anything, the rules say they can smoke on their balcony, just wanting to know if that means one side of the ship or both.

Thanks in advance!

Boyh sides of ship.

Agreed!!! We booked a balcony for our upcoming Pride cruise in April. I am a smoker but DH is not. However, while he is OK with it, if someone was annoyed with it or asked me not to, I would try to respect their wishes. Another thought though....I would just think when you are cruising, there is such an incredible breeze you really wouldn't smell it. I guess I'm wrong.:confused:

I wouldn't think the smoke would linger long (at all) in the breeze. I've always found it odd that the HUGE amount of smoke that constantly billows out of the "whale Tail" NEVER seems to bother anybody.

The DH and I both smoke.

We have never smoked in hotel rooms or cruise ship cabins (or restaurants either, cig smoke while eating is just gross)

Always pay extra for balconies for this reason.

Princess has a no smoke policy on all their balconies and this does bother us a bit.

LOVED the Ruby and would like to sail her again, maybe someday when we both quit....or pigs fly.

mimi

OP - you have the answer to your question; but I will say, as a smoker - the breeze is such on a side balcony, you rarely are disturbed by a neighbors smoke. My DH is NOT a smoker and he is always amazed at the "complaining" because of smoking neighbors (especially on this board) because he says that you cannot even smell it. The only time he knows a neighbor is smoking is when he hears the "click" of their lighter.

Have Fun and don't stress - :)

My DH is NOT a smoker and he is always amazed at the "complaining" because of smoking neighbors (especially on this board) because he says that you cannot even smell it.

That's probably because your DH is used to the smell of cigarettes since he has to smell it on your clothes, your breath, your body, and your surroundings on a daily basis. His nose is probably numb to the smell of cigarettes by now...

It's like people that dont wear deodorant or wear too much perfume: They are the only ones that can't tell how much they stink.

That's probably because your DH is used to the smell of cigarettes since he has to smell it on your clothes, your breath, your body, and your surroundings on a daily basis. His sense of smell is probably numb by now.

It's like people that dont wear deodorant. They are the only ones who don't know how much they stink because they live with their own smell.

Wow!!!!! Really???????? Grow up!

Archived