Early, Late, My Time...how about NO

After reading another thread, I came up with this idea.....When making a reservation, we typically select early dining, late dining, or my time dining. Well, after 30 cruises, we are bored with the dining room and typically eat somewhere else (specialty, windjammer, room service, etc). So, why should we reserve a dining space that we are NOT going to use? We usually select late dining, but do not use it. So, if late dining fills up, someone else could have used our table space. We've thought of just scheduling My Time dining and not going....but that also uses up a space that someone else could use. I've made reservations where it states that My Time is actually all booked up, so we should not use that space either! Why not have a NO dining option? That way, we're not taking up a reservation time that someone else could use! We did a back to back recently (10 days) and did not go to the MDR once! We did inform the Maitre D', but by then, most people have already reserved their dining times, which is typically done before the cruise. NO option could be an option!

I wish there was a "no" option too. After 5 cruises we decided to skip the main dining room for specialty and Windjammer. We loved it and don't plan on going back to the main dining room. Our next cruise we booked MTD, because we were not sure what we should do since none of the above is not an option.

I agree. We just never eat in the MDR any more and I'm frankly tired of having the Head Waiter call my room to see why I'm not showing up.

Wow...we've never had anyone call to track us down! You'd think that they would know that if someone doesn't show up, they're going elsewhere. After all, they want us to go to specialty restaurants and spend more money.....right? LOL.

Wow...we've never had anyone call to track us down! You'd think that they would know that if someone doesn't show up, they're going elsewhere. After all, they want us to go to specialty restaurants and spend more money.....right? LOL.

I was thinking the exact same thing. With 'free' room service and so many dining options aside from the MDR, and knowing we have no "No" option, I'm surprised they would call.

Yes! And Thank You!!!! We did FOS and we were not into MDR. We had this terrible feeling of obligation. At least I did. I have a people pleasing personality and when our waiter would ask us why we didnt show up, etc, I felt guilty.

My DH was so upset that I was actually stressed before the trip with clothes and so worried, etc.

We would opt out next cruise. We do love room service too. We enjoyed the WJ too for dinner.

We were not even back in time from Cozumel for 6pm dining. Our waiter told us we should have come anyway-late. Didnt know that was even an option. Everyone was pigging out in the WJ after Cozumel. I didnt think anyone would be up for MDR that night

Great idea! There are people who cannot get the seating they desire, so if all those who don't plan on eating in the MDR can "opt out", that would open it up to those on waiting lists, etc.

As well, there are so many empty tables in the MDR - on our last cruise, our family of 4 was placed at a table for 8 and the others NEVER showed up, so we were stuck at a half empty table the entire cruise. We sat in a semi circle on one side of the table, and it was rather uncomfortable.

Having been on 3 RCCL cruises, I agree that there should be an option for "No time dining." This will free up spaces for those that either want specific times or their time dining.

While on vacation, even with kids, who wants to commit to a specific time to eat dinner, let alone in a specific venue?

The last few cruises we have booked MTD. We haven't gone to dinner in the dining room at all on our booked MTD reservation.

On our last cruise I took a look at the menu and decided that I wanted shrimp cocktail and onion soup. I didn't wish to have a full meal, just shrimp cocktail and onion soup.

DH ate in the Windjammer. They were in a bit of a tizzy, about where to seat me in the MDR.

The first question was..."Have you been here before?"

I said, "No"

They eventually seated me at a table for 2 by the kitchen. Once we worked out that I just wished to have a shrimp cocktail and onion soup. It was okay.

I like having the option of going if I want to. :D

Great idea! There are people who cannot get the seating they desire, so if all those who don't plan on eating in the MDR can "opt out", that would open it up to those on waiting lists, etc.

As well, there are so many empty tables in the MDR - on our last cruise, our family of 4 was placed at a table for 8 and the others NEVER showed up, so we were stuck at a half empty table the entire cruise. We sat in a semi circle on one side of the table, and it was rather uncomfortable.

Likewise on Indy - we were seated at a table for 8 - 10 people, and we were the only 2 on it! If people had a "No" option it would have given other people the opportunity to share the lovely window table we had.

We did occasionally get table guests for various other rearrangement reasons, including one family who we'd wished we'd been with all week - they were so much fun!

Instead we just ended up looking like nobody loved us! :o

I have put this on the comment cards of the last couple of cruises I have done.

Also when we plan on eating at other venues we always go down and let them know we won't be using the MDR so they may open my spot up for others. Many times people are wait listed for their preferred dining times, so in my head I'm helping out

I thought of this a few weeks ago and called C and A and was told to email in a suggestion to that effect which I have done. The C and A person told me that they would include it in their monthly report, or something like that.

Perhaps if enough people do so they may consider that option.

I got back the standard reply of thanks for your input, we will keep it on file etc.

A "No" option is sort of available - Inform your head waiter on the first day of the cruise that you will not be eating in the MDR at all. If someone later requests your seating, the head waiter will know to assign your seats to them.

On our last cruise, signs on the first day stated the cruise was fully booked and seating switches were not available. At dinner that night, the two of us were seated at a table of eight. No one else showed up. By the third night of this, our head waiter asked if we'd be okay if he assigned other passengers to our table if they requested 2nd seating (we were fine with this).

I suspect that's why ctcruiser1721's head waiter called - he or she wanted to ensure it was okay to assign those seats to other passengers.

In my opinion, it's a polite gesture when you're either not eating in the MDR at all or only occasionally eating in the MDR to inform the head waiter of your absence.

My only concern about this option is that it might make it easier for passengers to skimp or skip out on tips altogether. I agree that it should be an option, but those who opt out of the MDR should be reminded that they are still receiving service from the dining room staff for all of their meals and should still demonstrate their appreciation for this service through the recommended gratuity practices.

I have been tracked down on 2 sailings. According to the Head Waiter they want to be sure there is no problem. When I asked how someone who hadn't used the service could have a problem with it he responded that sometimes people don't get the location or table type they want so they don't show.

Well, after 30 cruises, we are bored with the dining room and typically eat somewhere else

I think I'm going to enjoy this thread. I'm not there yet, but I understand how you got there, but I do admire your motiviation of not wanting to take up a reservation space from someone else. Maybe this will be factor in the new Sunshine class. Off to read your replies.

Why don't you just select "My Time Dining" and don't make any reservations? That way you won't take up any space. (Or you could just go to the Maitre D when you board and tell him that you won't use the MDR.)

MTD is also capacity controlled just like Traditional. Therefore if someone that does not intend of utilizing the main dining room selects that option it takes up a spot for someone else that intends on using the main dining room.

Yes! And Thank You!!!! We did FOS and we were not into MDR. We had this terrible feeling of obligation. At least I did. I have a people pleasing personality and when our waiter would ask us why we didnt show up, etc, I felt guilty.

I really understand that and made a point to tell our waiter the two nights we had Chops and Samba reservations the next night. He seemed to appreciate knowing that and I think it helped him plan his routine. But on other cruises we just decided to skip the formal night thing and the waiters begged us to come anyway. We use to do the formal night think and respect those that enjoy it and don't want to take away from their experience so we elect to do something else.

I know it is called my time, but it also my place. If you want to eat in the windjammer every night, that is your right. By using my time, the tips are not your problem. You still get service for all meals breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks. Enjoy.

MTD is also capacity controlled just like Traditional. Therefore if someone that does not intend of utilizing the main dining room selects that option it takes up a spot for someone else that intends on using the main dining room.

Didn't realize that. I thought that if you didn't make a reservation it would make available the extra space. Appreciate the correction. :)

A "No" option is sort of available - Inform your head waiter on the first day of the cruise that you will not be eating in the MDR at all. If someone later requests your seating, the head waiter will know to assign your seats to them.

On our last cruise, signs on the first day stated the cruise was fully booked and seating switches were not available. At dinner that night, the two of us were seated at a table of eight. No one else showed up. By the third night of this, our head waiter asked if we'd be okay if he assigned other passengers to our table if they requested 2nd seating (we were fine with this).

I suspect that's why ctcruiser1721's head waiter called - he or she wanted to ensure it was okay to assign those seats to other passengers.

In my opinion, it's a polite gesture when you're either not eating in the MDR at all or only occasionally eating in the MDR to inform the head waiter of your absence.

I've tried to do this on many cruises (enough to be d+). I get told, politely, that they have to leave a table "in case you change your mind". I've nicely mentioned back that I've sailed enough times to know that I prefer the windjammer over the dining room and wanted to give them the option of being able to move tablesmates around if they needed to. The other answer I get is "but you're diamond plus - we can give you whatever seatingi you want". The only time I've had them listen to me is when I somehow was booked with early seating (the one that was waitlisted). The first time I went and tried to let them know we weren't coming they wouldn't listen. When I went back at the beginning of 1st seating, a different matre de thanked me saying he could then let someone else have first seating.

It's gotten to the point I've given up. After literally 10-15 cruises where they tell me they have to let me have a table, I'm not taking any vacation time to let them know I'm not going to be a dinner in the mdr.

Archived