Misleading Review

LaVieBoheme

Anyone else notice this review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=94084

It claims it is for the Silver Shadow and is based on a cruise in the Caribbean in December 2011. But wasn't the Shadow down-under in Australia in December 2011? Also the reviewer states their cabin was 1110 which doesn't exist on the Shadow. I am assuming that if it is a Silversea's ship then it must be the Spirit: right? Any idea how to get the review 'fixed' as I hate to see the Silver Shadow unfairly maligned like this :(.

At the end of this review the author does indeed state it was for Silver Spirit and therefore presumably they clicked the wrong button when entering the review details.

I can't believe that they thought the airline food was better than Silversea though! :eek:

The review is apparently for the Silver Spirit, there is no Seishin on the Shadow, nor, as you point out, a Deck 11. The author has made a mistake. The dates make no sense either because the Spirit arrived back into FLL on 20 December, not the 18th per the date in the review. To call the ship the 'Silver Spirit Shadow' and get the dates wrong too, the reviewer already lost all credibility for me, so perhaps the review shouldn't be taken too seriously.

I know that there are many here who don't love the Spirit. However, I like it a lot, I sailed on it for the second time a couple of weeks after the reviewer, on the christmas/New Year 14 day cruise which departed on 20 December from FLL, and it doesn't sound like we were on the same ship. But I guess we all see things differently.

I will say that there are a few Silversea reviews here that strike me as odd, almost as if the reviewer has never actually been on the ship they are reviewing...I'm not saying that's the case here, I'm talking generally.

LaVieBoheme, there used to be a button to report a review, but I don't see it. All I can suggest is that you send a pm to the Silversea board host and point out the anomalies in the review. It does seem very unfair to the Silver Shadow.

LaVieBoheme, there used to be a button to report a review, but I don't see it. All I can suggest is that you send a pm to the Silversea board host and point out the anomalies in the review. It does seem very unfair to the Silver Shadow.

If you run the reviewer "konabill" as a Member, the forum says "Sorry no matches," meaning there is no such member. When this particular review first came out, I reported to the home office at Cruise Critic that Shadow was not the ship and that konabill was not a member of CCritic. Yet here it is.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Ruby

If you run the reviewer "konabill" as a Member, the forum says "Sorry no matches," meaning there is no such member. When this particular review first came out, I reported to the home office at Cruise Critic that Shadow was not the ship and that konabill was not a member of CCritic. Yet here it is.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Ruby

konabill is a member. Members do not show up on the member list until they have made a forum post. It is a Silver Spirit review posted on the Silver Spirit page. Konabill goofed once on the Shadow name and made a couple of grammatical errors. It is fairly well written for an unpaid review. You do have to wonder about someone that compares Silversea cuisine unfavorably to Holiday Inn and airline fare. Be glad that you will not run into him on future Silversea cruises.

konabill is a member. Members do not show up on the member list until they have made a forum post. . . . Be glad that you will not run into him on future Silversea cruises.

You have me smiling about the "future Silversea cruises." That is exactly my sentiment. Finding and sailing on Silversea was, for me, like coming home to Royal Viking. I'm so happy to be a Venetian.

Thanks for the factoid about not showing up on the Members List until a post is made on a forum. I didn't know that one. As I said, konabill's review is a puzzler.

Ruby

The "Silver Shadow Spirit" review is listed in the Silver Spirit review section which is apparently where it belongs. Perhaps they moved it. It is quite well written for a harsh review. It sounded as if the ship was fine -- it was the food, cigar smoke, etc. that was objectionable. I must admit that I was unhappy to hear that people were smoking cigars on their verandahs. Hopefully this would have been corrected if they had reported it. Different perspectives are interesting. . . . we loved the food, service. . . . just about everything about the Spirit except for the ship itself.

Thanks for this thread.being a new and inexperienced on this site I was glad to be directed to these reviews.

As always most of the really negative views come from those with 1 review.I did like the negative review of the Explorer where the problem was the lack of entertainment on their Arctic cruise.Not really my first thought when choosing an Expedition ship.

We were on the same December 2 - 20 cruises as the reviewer across the hall in cabin 1109. It is hard to believe that the port side of the ship on Deck 11 has more vibration than the starboard side. We had no problem with vibration. The weather was a bit rocky on departure from Fort Lauderdale, but after the first day, the weather was calm - in fact way too calm for our taste. One of the reasons we booked Deck 11 was to be able to take advantage of the motion of the ship. While I understand that that might be unusual, a savy traveler should have known that a high deck would be the most prone to motion and that Silver Suites should be avoided on the Spirit if motion is a problem. The reviewer should have opted for the Owner's suite or a mid-ship veranda to avoid that problem! One of the problems with using an internet agency (as the reviewer did) is that you do not get guidance you need on such issues.

To say that the TV's in the Silver Suites are too small makes me wonder why one would take a cruise if having a big screen TV is that important.

While I do agree that towels were, at times, in short supply on the pool deck, all you had to do was ask, and someone would bring you a towel immediately. There were some hits and misses with service especially on the pool deck, but overall, the crew went out of their way to do as much as they could. The food was good - not the best we have had on SS, but certainly not the worst!

We had a wonderful cruise on the Spirit and have booked a future TA on the Spirit for 2013.

I too am glad that the reviewer has chosen to sail on other cruise lines. I prefer to travel with happy people who find SS a treat!

I too am glad that the reviewer has chosen to sail on other cruise lines. I prefer to travel with happy people who find SS a treat!

I agree Victoria. Nothing worse than passengers whingeing about things. I read this review a while back and couldn't believe his criticisms. I felt that he must have cruised on a totally different ship to the Silver Spirit that I knew.

Food is such a contentious issue but boring? Sure it can sometimes be hit and miss (like the pigeon I had - that's another story:eek:).

I ended up laughing at his comment "every meal we had ashore including our return flight to LAX on Virgin America was better than was offered onboard the Silver Spirit". Yeah right...:D

Cheers

Jennifer

Just to be clear (and not passing judgement).. . . no one was bothered by the fact that cigars were being smoked on the veranda?

We did a total of 30 days on the Spirit in 2011, and we never noticed cigar smoke on the veranda close to any of the suites we stayed in.

Archived