Laptop/Tablets: Do people take them on cruises/cruise tours

DRPWDunIL

I'm thinking about taking my laptop and, possibly, also my tablet on our Alaskan cruisetour. Has anyone done this? Is it too much hassle to schlep it around (I figure I only need to actually carry them when we are traveling, not while on excursions or on the ship)? I've seen some backpacks that would work perfectly as a day bag.

I'm thinking about taking my laptop and, possibly, also my tablet on our Alaskan cruisetour. Has anyone done this? Is it too much hassle to schlep it around (I figure I only need to actually carry them when we are traveling, not while on excursions or on the ship)? I've seen some backpacks that would work perfectly as a day bag.

I use a netbook; won't go on a cruise without it.

Like Pia, I use a netbook which is good for composing email off-line and then signing in to send it. I also have an iPhone that I use if I want to check something quickly but make sure it is in airplane mode to avoid costly charges for access to the ship's system or while in ports outside of the USA.

I took both, but I have been away for a month. You really only need a tablet, but be sure to have lots of memory for your camera. I only found Internet service at a reindeer hotdog place in Ketchikan?

Renee

Do you need both? Doubtful, though they have somewhat different applications. If it were me, I would take one. I always take my laptop or netbook, but use them far less than I expect. You will be doing so much touring and other activities, that you won't want to use a computer as much as you think. The tablet might be better for watching movies, etc., but as you travel in Alaska, you want to be looking out the windows at wildlife and the scenery. You can watch movies at home, though there are a couple of plane rides to and from.

I would decide which one fills your needs over the course of the tour and cruise best and take just that one.

all I brought was a tablet, and it did everything I needed. Unless you really expect to do some "work" work, don't bother w/ even a netbook. The ship's computer center has full desktops you can use if some sort of emergency arises and you need more oomf. Just set your home computer up for remote access so you can run applications if need be, then leave your computer on at a low power stage before you go on vacation. Works great for my cruise, and the electric bill from the computer is negligible.

There are plenty of good backpacks and other travel bags to carry a laptop or tablet on your cruise. I wouldn't bother taking it on excursions, though - just leave it on the ship. My computer backpack does double duty just as you've suggested: carries the laptop while I'm traveling to the ship, then serves as the excursion backpack during the cruise.

As far as internet use, the laptop and tablet duplicate each other, so I wouldn't take both. If all you want to do is light email, along with kindle or other E-reader, take the tablet. For heavier use, or if you want a real keyboard for emails, you can always use the computers on the ship.

My solution is a "Netbook" style laptop. Cheap, light, has a decent enough keyboard for emails and for the cruise journal I always keep. If pressed, I could also backup my camera to the netbook, which is something you probably wouldn't be able to do to a tablet - at least not if you take as many pictures in Alaska as I did!

I take my laptop and my iPad on my cruises. I download the day's pix onto my laptop & that evening begin doing some preliminary Photoshopping. I use my iPad to read or listen to music or an audio book.

I take my laptop and my iPad on my cruises. I download the day's pix onto my laptop & that evening begin doing some preliminary Photoshopping. I use my iPad to read or listen to music or an audio book.

This is our first cruise, but we'll definitely take a laptop for preliminary Photoshopping each evening. We might carry it into port for accessing emails at a coffeeshop. I'm stressing about the expense of internet access on board - it's not a vacation for me if I can't surf the web.

... We might carry it into port for accessing emails at a coffeeshop.

I'm pretty leary about taking my laptop or my iPad off the ship. I figure I can go one or two weeks without any contact with the outside world, and my friends know that I won't contact anyone until I'm back.

I have taken a small Dell for the last few years frankly have avoided netbooks and tablets. However in recent weeks having watched and spoken with people with tablets I have made the purchase. From what I can see the netbook market has be killed by the tablet....having said that I am very low on the learning curve re my Thrive....but I have until September and our Med cruise to get on top of it.

I plan to leave mine at home. I can live without it for 2 weeks.

I have to second this. I call home to check up on the kids at every port. Other than that, I figure the world can live without me for a few days. I love my facebook as much as the next person, but the way I figure it, I'm on vacation to spend time with my wife not surf the web like I do every other day of the year.

Then again, I am the type of person who likes to vacation in areas where there is no cellular service so the world couldn't find me even if they wanted to.

On my last cruise I brought an i-pad. I preloaded it with videos and a few games so I had something to do/watch on the plane and train (Amtrak Cascades). I was also able to do some email in the business center of the hotel the mornings before and after the cruise.

Once on the ship, it was locked in the safe...

I use a netbook; won't go on a cruise without it.

Agree!

Like Pia, I use a netbook which is good for composing email off-line and then signing in to send it.

You can also copy & paste (into a blank word document) incoming emails from family & friends to read offline.

Funny enough, I've seen people on excursions with their iPad taking photos!! :-) Yes, that read iPad - not iPhone!

Since Ketchikan is the first/last town for most to get cell service without the crazy add'l charges in Canada and on the ship, I see lots of people at the wi-fi spots in town sending notes home and LOTS of folks checking email on their phones! Just don't walk in front of traffic while distracted! haha...

Full size laptop, iPad and a Kindle go on every trip.

A couple weeks ago, we took the iPad2 and I took both Kindles (Fire and keyboard). My hunch was correct, my Fire was useless without the WiFi connection. :(

Being a small business owner, we can't ever truly unplug so the iPad was in great demand and went into port with us to attempt to find the free WiFi spots.

Archived