X- Ray scan or Metal Detectors at port of NOLA

luv-my-kids

On this trip I have a foot fracture and will have a walking boot. I am wondering if I will have to go through a metal detector or if they will have an xray scan like the airport. I know if it's the metal detector it will go off because the metal in the "walking boot". I callled the port and never received a return phone call. Does anyone remember what they have?

Thanks!

On this trip I have a foot fracture and will have a walking boot. I am wondering if I will have to go through a metal detector or if they will have an xray scan like the airport. I know if it's the metal detector it will go off because the metal in the "walking boot". I callled the port and never received a return phone call. Does anyone remember what they have?

Thanks!

They have metal detectors, and then they will wand you when you set it off. The odd thing is that the beeping is so quiet, and the general area is noisy.....I didn't realize that "I" had set it off with my metal implants until security spoke rather firmly to me. :D:):D (It doesn't go off every time when I walk through on the ships)

• 2 weeks later...
So I have to step through an xray to get on Royal caribbean at new orleans? Will they pat me down?

No.... You have to step through a metal detector....and then they will wand you with a handheld if you beep. :D They don't usually do pat downs.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

• 2 weeks later...
So if I had my knee replaced would it set off these detectors? Do I have to explain it everytime I get on and off the ship?

Thanks

I think it depends on what sort of metal is in the replacement? I don't recall the titanium my father is hauling around ever setting off the detector... but it may have just been too small a quantity.

I think it depends on what sort of metal is in the replacement? I don't recall the titanium my father is hauling around ever setting off the detector... but it may have just been too small a quantity.
I set off the detectors at the airports and get patted down. Just wondered if I had to go through the hassle everytime I leave or come back on board?

So if I had my knee replaced would it set off these detectors?

My wife's artificial shoulder joint set the arch off when they used to make her walk through but most of the time any more they leave her in her wheelchair and do a wanding and pat down. Once upon a time she had a spinal medicine pump in her abdomen and she had to carry a special card for that.

Ship check is far less "strong" than airport. Lately airport arches have been so sensitive I just remove my belt (with really small buckle) in advance because I know it will set it off. Ship, never.

I had to have my left knee replaced 2 times due to infection and this will be my first cruise since. I have flown a few times with my replacement and its a hassle being patted down. I guess its better than someone possibly carrying something on board the plane.

I just wanted an idea what I might be in fore boarding and debarking?:o

• 3 weeks later...
I had to have my left knee replaced 2 times due to infection and this will be my first cruise since. I have flown a few times with my replacement and its a hassle being patted down. I guess its better than someone possibly carrying something on board the plane.

shipper, if you remove other metal, watches and such...your knee shouldn't set of the ship detectors. They're not that sensitive.

The only time I set them off with metal hips, was when I went through with metal watch AND sunglasses. So then I set them off...

and then I was I was wanded and my shoes were swabbed for explosives. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If your knees set off the detector, a security person will wand you. It's really not a big deal.

If your knees set off the detector, a security person will wand you. It's really not a big deal.

So why was I the lucky one that looked ripe for testing like a mad bomber or something? :rolleyes::D:D

Usually I just get away with the extra wanding. :)

• 1 month later...

My FIL has both knees and both shoulders replaced. He sets off the metal detector and has to get wanded every time at airport security and every time upon returning to the ship at ports...EVERY time.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

So I have to step through an xray to get on Royal caribbean at new orleans? Will they pat me down?
If you're worried about the pat down, the best advice I've seen is to use a shaving cream can with a false bottom to hide things. ;)

yeah, usually only us in wheelchairs get the "pat down" :)

My friend sometimes travels with me and has a prosthetic leg. Since they could actually see the leg, they let her through at the port. But, had they not been able to tell that it was a prosthesis they told her they would have had to do a pat down. At the airport she usually gets pulled the the side, patted down, wanded and tested for bomb residue!!! So, being handicapped means allowing an extra 15 - 30 minutes through security. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

DH and I both have pacemakers, so we just tell them when we're about at the scanners, and then they courtesly pat us down.

As far as the ship in ports, Security remembers pretty soon and they usually send us. on our way. Its no big deal. It is easier to tell them than to go through the scannerr, who h we can't do.

We used to travel with a friend who had two knee replacements, and she couldn't go

through the detectors. She just told them to pat her down. It was. never a big deal.

Cruzin Lady

Archived