Some Alaska trips are up!

Ok, had to switch from Southbound to North but got 1100 and 1602 (friends) for June 28! Convincing friend we can do Northbound w/land at end (Fri to Fri cruise, we can land until the following Fri, fly home and have a weekend to recover). Plus, no post-cruise letdown as we'll have a whole week on land!

You will love #1100..my favorite corner aft !!

I put a hold on 8172 on Radiance for June 21 - so excited! Now I just have to wait until DH gets home and I hear from a couple siblings to make sure that date is okay (as much as they can know that 15 months out!).

DH and I will be in 8172, and some of our kids/other relatives may be joining us in inside cabins. So there is not as much urgency for them to book this early, but after seeing pics from Alaska cruises from stern balconies on the Radiance, it's a must have for me!

I love having all this time to plan (and pay!).

Ugh, I was hoping they would be delayed longer. I was planning on booking but now have to wait since hubby's company has announced a layoff of about 1,000.:( I hope everyone gets their preferred cabins.:)

That's terrible news. I hope that he is not one of the thousand and you can book a great cruise.

I put a hold on 8172 on Radiance for June 21 - so excited! Now I just have to wait until DH gets home and I hear from a couple siblings to make sure that date is okay (as much as they can know that 15 months out!).

DH and I will be in 8172, and some of our kids/other relatives may be joining us in inside cabins. So there is not as much urgency for them to book this early, but after seeing pics from Alaska cruises from stern balconies on the Radiance, it's a must have for me!

I love having all this time to plan (and pay!).

We had this cabin on Jewel recently, the balcony is great! I especially loved having the balcony in Alaska to " warm up" between sightings. I've been reading this thread, even though I have no plans for Alaska again any time soon...hope you all have a wonderful time!

That's terrible news. I hope that he is not one of the thousand and you can book a great cruise.

Thanks, I have been going back and forth all day trying decide if it makes more sense to just put a deposit down and cancel if he is laid off but we have decided to wait. With this economy and the upcoming election, more layoffs could happen so I will keep researching and playing the lottery.;):p

We decided on the round trip Vancouver on Sept 6th, in 1100 and 1602. I don't see the itinerary in 2012, any guess to why they added it?

I will miss Skagway, but the price difference between a JS the week before ($800) and the price between multi city flights swayed me.

Eh, who am I kidding, 1100 and 1602 weren't available on Aug 24th, that's what swayed me :D

I called a few hours late.

Eh, who am I kidding, 1100 and 1602 weren't available on Aug 24th, that's what swayed me :D

Totally get that! My friend called and the rep she spoke with said the initial rush/hold will die down and you might see those room open back up (and you're pretty late in the season so maybe prices won't go up too much). Keep an eye out!

I, too, have been checking a few times (okay, a lot!) since yesterday. Checked at 8 am (Central time), no dates; checked about 10:45 ish, success! Got 9256 on June 7 Southbound Radiance!!! Yay!!! Only took 622 days from when I first starting looking into Alaska, and now it'll only be 451 more days (groan) til I finally get there! :D

And Masonpips thanks for the heads up. I was checking all day yesterday but nothing.....I called about 3 seconds after reading your post this morning. And I was the first booking for Sept. 6th sailing:p

I want to thank Masonpips as well: THANK YOU so much for the heads up!

I had also been checking every day since we received the email. I wanted an Aft cabin on the Radiance soooooo bad! I tried booking on line first, but the cabin I asked for came up as unavailable so I called to see what other afts were open and I was so happy to learn the cabin I was looking for, 9256, was open for the May 31 sailing which is the date I wanted, so I put a deposit on it. This will be our first time going to Alaska and our first time in an Aft cabin. I'm so happy!

I, too, have been checking a few times (okay, a lot!) since yesterday. Checked at 8 am (Central time), no dates; checked about 10:45 ish, success! Got 9256 on June 7 Southbound Radiance!!! Yay!!! Only took 622 days from when I first starting looking into Alaska, and now it'll only be 451 more days (groan) til I finally get there! :D

WOW! I just noticed! We are on the same cabin. You will be getting on as we are getting off. We are beginning the land tour on that day so it won't be too bad.

Is the new DL on ROS walled off into a seperate space with a door like other DL's or is it just a dedicated area of the VCL ?

To the left of the serving station is where the doorway is to the VCL. It is closed off during the day, but as you can see the wall does not go all the way up to the ceiling. When there were large crowds in there, the Concierge would open the doors into the VCL and rope off an area just outside the doors for additional seating.

There were a few occasions when folks didn't pay any attention to the large sign outside this doorway clearly stating it was a private event and just walked in and helped themselves. :eek: This was quickly stopped.

The view for the new DL is amazing. It was a great addition to Radiance. Now if they could just get those 4 outside elevators to run a little quicker, it would be perfect.

The-Diamond-Lounge-an-area-for-the-lines-loyalty-members-gets-its-final-touches.-e1308009564207.jpg

We had this cabin on Jewel recently, the balcony is great! I especially loved having the balcony in Alaska to " warm up" between sightings. I've been reading this thread, even though I have no plans for Alaska again any time soon...hope you all have a wonderful time!

Thanks! I decided to go with a middle stern balcony rather than a corner one, because we like the shelter of the deep design, whether it is shelter from the sun on a Caribbean route or, in this case, from the wind or cold in Alaska. It is our first Alaskan cruise, so we are pysched!

I am second guessing myself. Or having inlaw guilt.

I have done the Southbound from Seward. I remember the flight being long from Tampa, about 8 hours from Atlanta to Anchorage. We got in very late, slept a few hours before we caught the train the next morning to Seward.

I know DH's stepdad would love the train. RT Vancouver loses the train and Skagway, which has train excursions. But they are very excited about what I booked.

They have never cruised, I put them in 1100. If I change to the 30th, since 1100 and 1602 aren't available (and really are pushing my comfortable price range) I'd probably change to a D2 aft. $1589 vs $1999 for JS on 9/6.

So all in all, I'd estimate the savings of about $300ish if I change to the week before, factoring train fare and additional flight costs, with changing to D2. Just to have Skagway and a train ride. We could also try and reduce costs on the 6th by flying to Seattle and renting a car as well.

And the JS would make us diamond. Personally I want to keep as is, but I don't know if it's me really wanting those two cabins more than the ports. Also, we just got off the Serenade in 1602 on 2/24, so that cabin is fresh in my mind, I just loved it.

Wow, sorry that was long!

FYI: I am getting ready to release 1602 and 1100 (Both JS) on the Southbound Radiance June 21 sailing. We're going to stay w/the Northbound June 28 one (so if you grab these, take care of them for us!).

Just thought I'd post here in case someone was looking for them!

Update on my post.. Looking at the Seattle/Vancouver route on 8/30 on the Rhapsody.

This cruise does go to Skagway, so there is a train excursion. The savings is $500 per cabin for JSs, although all the aft cabins are booked already.

I really love the Radiance class and know the JS's are smaller on the Vision class. We sailed the Splendour in the Med a few years ago. But Rhapsody is getting a whole new look now.

Thoughts?

Pros - Get the train ride in Skagway for DH's stepdad. Save $500, still get Diamond for me and DH following this cruise. Have never sailed Tracy Arm Fjords. We can fly RT Seattle and drive back from Vancouver, savings there.

Cons - Lose Icy Strait Point (not much there anyway) and lose the Hubbard Glacier. The big one, LOSE 1100 and 1602 :(

Cons - Lose Icy Strait Point (not much there anyway) and lose the Hubbard Glacier. The big one, LOSE 1100 and 1602 :(

This is huge to me too. I know it's nuts but how can you go to a regular

balcony once you've experienced the HUGE aft ones. Are there any side "bigger" ones open?

We decided on the round trip Vancouver on Sept 6th, in 1100 and 1602. I don't see the itinerary in 2012, any guess to why they added it?

I started a roll call: We'll be right below you in 9256....I can hardly wait 540 days! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1593061 Our criteria was simple, had to have Radiance class (never done it) and had to fly domestic into Seattle for both departure and coming home. Using flight points. So this was it and it had to be later rather than earlier to give us plenty of payment time.

Switch just to get a train ride??? You could fly into Seattle and ride the Amtrak up to VC with us! Its' supposed to be a beautiful ride. I've heard Icy Straite Point is one of the most beautiful ports in Alaska and gives you a view of a REAL fishing village, not just a tourist trap. Also there is nature trek into the forrest, if you read up on it on the ports thread. And if they have never cruised how could you justify losing Hubbard????? I've heard Tracy Arm is disappointing next to Hubbard. Just sayin...

masonpips - Are there any side JS's that are bigger on the Rhapsody, other than the afts? they all look the same to me on the deck plans. I'm not as familiar with the Vision class as I am with the Radiance class, my favorite.

Becciboo- Icy Strait is very beautiful, we've been there. But there is really not much there to spend time on, the nature trek is really neat though. This port isn't a deal breaker. However, I will look into the amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver, that might be an option that satifies the train lover. (I don't get it either) :rolleyes:

For me, losing the afts is big. It's hard to please everyone.

I started a roll call: We'll be right below you in 9256....I can hardly wait 540 days! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1593061 Our criteria was simple, had to have Radiance class (never done it) and had to fly domestic into Seattle for both departure and coming home. Using flight points. So this was it and it had to be later rather than earlier to give us plenty of payment time.

Switch just to get a train ride??? You could fly into Seattle and ride the Amtrak up to VC with us! Its' supposed to be a beautiful ride. I've heard Icy Straite Point is one of the most beautiful ports in Alaska and gives you a view of a REAL fishing village, not just a tourist trap. Also there is nature trek into the forrest, if you read up on it on the ports thread. And if they have never cruised how could you justify losing Hubbard????? I've heard Tracy Arm is disappointing next to Hubbard. Just sayin...

Becci Boo - Is that Amtrak transfer from Seattle to Vancouver actually on a train? Several years ago when we considered that option, we found that instead of a train, Amtrak actually put you on a bus that went to Vancouver from Seattle. I would hope that this has changed in the interim but it might be a good idea to confirm and also to check the times involved to make sure that they match up with your sailing time.

masonpips - Are there any side JS's that are bigger on the Rhapsody, other than the afts? they all look the same to me on the deck plans. I'm not as familiar with the Vision class as I am with the Radiance class, my favorite.

I don't know, I only did my research on Radiance as the reviews for this class are so awesome and we knew we wanted a land portion so we had to book a one-way.

Becci Boo - Is that Amtrak transfer from Seattle to Vancouver actually on a train? Several years ago when we considered that option, we found that instead of a train, Amtrak actually put you on a bus that went to Vancouver from Seattle. I would hope that this has changed in the interim but it might be a good idea to confirm and also to check the times involved to make sure that they match up with your sailing time.

I was just looking this up. It looks like there is one train route, it does have stops. Could be fun.

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/Schedules.htm

Archived