do internet TAs contact you with upgrade/upsell offers?

Doh15

We used an internet TA to book our upcoming (first) cruise on HAL (family members had picked the cruise, and the TA gave us the best price). We are still a couple months out from sailing (final payment date is coming up) but I was wondering if internet TAs pass on upgrade/upsell offers from the cruiseline if/when they are available. I kind of figure the internet TA business model is based on more volume and less personalized service, but they do have our email address if they wanted to get in touch with us.

Anyone have experience one way or the other?

It really depends on your online TA..........there just isn't a simple answer here. We have had upgrade offers and upsell offers..........then there have been times we noticed price drops for a particular category and had to place a call to the online TA we were using..........bottom line is it depends on your TA.

Another thing I would do if you are a couple of months out......call your on line TA and let them know to contact you if any upgrades become available.

We used an internet TA to book our upcoming (first) cruise on HAL (family members had picked the cruise, and the TA gave us the best price). We are still a couple months out from sailing (final payment date is coming up) but I was wondering if internet TAs pass on upgrade/upsell offers from the cruiseline if/when they are available. I kind of figure the internet TA business model is based on more volume and less personalized service, but they do have our email address if they wanted to get in touch with us.

Anyone have experience one way or the other?

I've heard of others getting them but I've never experienced it. Most used to just upgrade you without charging you (also depends on status) - we got 4 upgrades for this upcoming cruise by booking a balcony (got one of the larger balconies on Sapphire Princess for booking a balcony GTY).

I have booked now for several years with an online TA that will flat out tell me I have to watch for the price drops and such and if I spot one, it's up to me to let them know in order to get a discount. Actually after the last few cruises, each time I've found a "better deal" (kids sail free and price reduction or more OBC) and had to literally fight for it and even calling the cruise line directly several times for answers. It was like pulling teeth, however, I did end up with what I was asking for each time and to me, even though it was a hassle, it was worth the fight to save hundreds of dollars.

I have now found a terrific TA and hopefully will never have to deal with the previous online TA (who always seem to have the best deal out there) again. :)

So my advice is ask your online TA if they watch the prices or deals for you. They'll let you know. But, if it was me, I would definitely watch them myself just to make sure. :D

With most TAs you have to initiate any changes you want. If you want an upgrade ask them to check for you or if there is a price drop give your TA a call. If you keep on top of it yourself you will have more success.

Some of this depends on the TA, and some of this depends on the cruise line.

For Princess and Holland they have a built in automatic upgrade in their system. So if an upgrade becomes available for you, and you did not state that you wanted to decline any upgrades (as some people prefer to stay where they are at) then their system will just give it to you.

For the majority of cruise lines and TA's out there it's up to you. If you notice the price has dropped and inform your TA/cruise line about it then you could look at getting an upgrade/lower price/refund, etc.

As a side not to this, most cruise lines ahve a policy now that once you are within final payment even if a price drops they will not adjust yours.

For most of the luxury lines they will notify your TA of an upsell offer and it's in the hands of the TA to contact you ( I don't know why they wouldn't).

We were booked in a balcony guarantee on HAL in January and 3 days before sailing, I was emailed from my online TA about on up sell offer to a suite. Had to pass due to tight $ situation at the time but now hubby regrets it...he saw inside one of the suites one day and went "wow!" :eek:

Keep an eye on pricing yourself and call if you see a reduction in the price.

If your TA does it for you, be happy. Mosts do not.

Their commission is based on the amount of the sale so where is the motivation? Yes, to keep you as a happy customer but there isn't always loyalty from customer or from TA. This is a "me, me, me" world and we have to be responsible for ourselves. IMO

Archived