Formal Nights?

indigosails

We just booked the Millenium, it will be our first Celebrity cruise. TA said that the Celebrity rep was in last week and told her they were moving in the direction of Oceania/Regent as far as not having formal nights. Not being familiar with the line, I don't know--but it seems questionable. To me.

I've been reading through these threads and have seen nothing about it (maybe I didn't dig deep enough) and I couldn't find anything on their website. Can somebody enlighten me?

Your TA may be right. On our 2/22 Silhouette sailing, what should have been the second formal night became "Cocktail (Formal optional)". I was wondering if this indicated changes in the offing.

j

Your TA may be right. On our 2/22 Silhouette sailing, what should have been the second formal night became "Cocktail (Formal optional)". I was wondering if this indicated changes in the offing.

j

First I've heard of this formal optional. I understand formal, and I understand Smart Casual. What is the definition for Cocktail? Seems another way to muddy the waters and have never ending threads arguing the differences.

Maybe it means, have enough cocktails and you won't care what other people do.

First I've heard of this formal optional. I understand formal, and I understand Smart Casual. What is the definition for Cocktail? Seems another way to muddy the waters and have never ending threads arguing the differences.

Maybe it means, have enough cocktails and you won't care what other people do.

After reading the OP, I suspect this is the beginning of the transition to no more formal nights. While we like getting dressed up occasionally, I guess this is where today's society is headed. Maybe it will be cyclical and return in another century or so?

I just would like consistency in policies and their implementation. If they want to make it all "country club casual", define that and enforce it. Or leave the formal nights (not "optional") and enforce them.

But at least tell everyone what the Celebrity experience is so we can make an informed decision. And enforce any requirements so we're not sitting at dinner wearing formalwear and staring at someone wearing beaten up jeans and a T-shirt. Or tell us that there is no dress code so we can decide if that's how we want to cruise.

j

After reading the OP, I suspect this is the beginning of the transition to no more formal nights. While we like getting dressed up occasionally, I guess this is where today's society is headed. Maybe it will be cyclical and return in another century or so?

I just would like consistency in policies and their implementation. If they want to make it all "country club casual", define that and enforce it. Or leave the formal nights (not "optional") and enforce them.

But at least tell everyone what the Celebrity experience is so we can make an informed decision. And enforce any requirements so we're not sitting at dinner wearing formalwear and staring at someone wearing beaten up jeans and a T-shirt. Or tell us that there is no dress code so we can decide if that's how we want to cruise.

j

I think the only reason they haven't gone to smart casual every night is because they apparently are having a difficult time filling the specialty restaurants. They read these boards and I'm sure see how many people are saying they are not bringing formal clothes but booking specialties on formal nights. Its like "smart casual" is an incentive to book specialty restaurants. Look at all the freebies they are giving out for the specialties. Perhaps they ought to lower the prices a bit instead...

I think the only reason they haven't gone to smart casual every night is because they apparently are having a difficult time filling the specialty restaurants. They read these boards and I'm sure see how many people are saying they are not bringing formal clothes but booking specialties on formal nights. Its like "smart casual" is an incentive to book specialty restaurants. Look at all the freebies they are giving out for the specialties. Perhaps they ought to lower the prices a bit instead...

Something else I noticed on this last cruise was how empty the dining room was, at least during our second seating dinners. I wonder if, in addition to eventually stopping the formal nights, they'll also eliminate fixed seating times and convert completely to select and reduce the size of the MDR? It can't be cost effective to have staff to handle so many tables spread over a large space.

Jonathan

Something else I noticed on this last cruise was how empty the dining room was, at least during our second seating dinners. I wonder if, in addition to eventually stopping the formal nights, they'll also eliminate fixed seating times and convert completely to select and reduce the size of the MDR? It can't be cost effective to have staff to handle so many tables spread over a large space.

Jonathan

I think you may be onto something there. I have only dined select but this was due to the fact that I like to eat early and we were bumped to the late sitting. Several dinners we did eat a bit later and noticed how empty the MDR was for the late seating. As for Formal nights, I think it will be a shame to loose them, I think it makes a great cruise and makes some very special evenings. I don't know anyone who does not like to dress up occasionally and I don't think I want to.

cheers Mic.:D

Hello Jonathan,

We, Heather And Mark, were on the Mercury 2010 cruise with you.

I love the late dining and would hate if Celebrity went to all select dining...I feel you would lose the rapport you build with your table mates.

I also love the formal nights but would be quite happy for formal to move to the more relaxed 'cocktail'; men in lounge suits and women in cocktail length dresses. I would miss not having any nights when one didn't get the oppertunity to dress a little special, so I hope it doesn't go all nights smart casual

Cheers, heather

Please give my regards to Susan.

Hello Jonathan,

We, Heather And Mark, were on the Mercury 2010 cruise with you.

I love the late dining and would hate if Celebrity went to all select dining...I feel you would lose the rapport you build with your table mates.

I also love the formal nights but would be quite happy for formal to move to the more relaxed 'cocktail'; men in lounge suits and women in cocktail length dresses. I would miss not having any nights when one didn't get the oppertunity to dress a little special, so I hope it doesn't go all nights smart casual

Cheers, heather

Please give my regards to Susan.

Heather, we agree, of course, that it makes the evening a little more special to dress up. And totally agree regarding not wanting to spend every dinnertime introducing ourselves to new tablemates. Hope you and Mark are doing well and looking forward to your next cruise, about 5 weeks from now, wow!

S

We just booked the Millenium, it will be our first Celebrity cruise. TA said that the Celebrity rep was in last week and told her they were moving in the direction of Oceania/Regent as far as not having formal nights. Not being familiar with the line, I don't know--but it seems questionable. To me.

I've been reading through these threads and have seen nothing about it (maybe I didn't dig deep enough) and I couldn't find anything on their website. Can somebody enlighten me?

I for one would be thrilled with this option. Although I know from the nastiness I have encountered on another thread it's not everyone's opinion. I think that "cocktail" is a good compromise, tie for the men, jacket optional and dressy clothes for the women. Those who wish to still do the gowns and tuxes would certainly blend in well also. We are absolutely not bringing formal clothes on our 14 day Alaskan adventure, that's not what we are going for.

Archived