Tipping porters

cheap, salary obsessed, non-tippers found this thread.

If there is anyone obsessed, it is those who believe you must tip the stevedores. Once when we arrived at port, there wasn't one to be found nearby, so we neatly placed our luggage on the cart. Then one of our party insisted on looking around further for a stevedore she could give money to.

These folks make excellent salaries, yet extort money out of naive first-time cruisers by making remarks about getting your luggage to the ship (which they have almost nothing to do with), or getting your luggage early (which they really have nothing to do with), or asking for "donations".

In the whole luggage delivery process, these folks have the easiest part of the task. If you want to tip somebody, give it to the ship's crew who hand deliver it to your room. Otherwise, save your tip money for your room attendant and wait staff.

Don't care if they are union or not - $5 for 2 bags is the cheapest "insurance" you will ever buy.

I understand the sentiment. But there's something inherently wrong with the system when we feel must pay extra to ensure our belongings get to where they are supposed to be to begin with.

No kidding. Thanks for saying what I was thinking.

You know, the funny thing is, my BIL is a Port of Miami truck driver who works as a porter on the weekends. And to make ends meet, he also works as a security guard at night. Every single time this topic comes up, a certain CC member posts all these false figures to support not tipping. I've shown my BIL these threads in the past. I cannot repeat on here what my BIL had to say about our CC friend.

Make in 1 hour what a ship's crewman member makes in a month? These claims have gone from laughable to just plain stupid. :rolleyes:

You know, the funny thing is, my BIL is a Port of Miami truck driver who works as a porter on the weekends. And to make ends meet, he also works as a security guard at night. Every single time this topic comes up, a certain CC member posts all these false figures to support not tipping. I've shown my BIL these threads in the past. I cannot repeat on here what my BIL had to say about our CC friend.

Make in 1 hour what a ship's crewman member makes in a month? These claims have gone from laughable to just plain stupid. :rolleyes:

I know, it's hysterical. We know someone who works as a porter as well and have heard basially the same things. We're not all going to agree--but the level of small-mindedness and self-righteousness amazes me. All to get out of tipping some hard-working guys a few bucks. Isn't that what America is all about? Rewarding hard work??! I have no problem with that, even if they made more than they do, realistically. They're out in the hot sun picking up hundreds of heavy bags. It's a no-brainer for me.

Well, this thread was exaclty what I thought it would be....the same old argument.

I've said this in the past and I'll say it again...if when I pull up to the curb, a porter greets me at my car, opens the door for my wife, pulls our bags out of our trunk, including her heavy bag, gives us the friendly reminders of making sure we have our boarding pass and passports, I do not care how much he makes. He just provided my wife and I with a personal service and to me, that is worth a few bucks. If he makes good money doing what he does, then I say good for him!

I know I don't have to tip him. That's my choice.

And by the way, I have been on a lot of cruises. Not once has a porter ever tried to extort money out of me by saying something stupid. Then again, maybe it has something to do with the friendly way I approach him.

Your BIL (ex-bil per some of your prior posts on other threads) does not work as a porter for cruise line passengers. Perhaps he is one of the behind the scenes people who does 99% of the work - yes they earn peanuts compared to the longshoremen (and work hard). The people taking the luggage from guests entering the cruise terminal are longshoremen and their union makes sure nobody else is able to perform this role.

I am from NYC and because of this I live in a constant state of paranoia.

(LOL) Therefore, I do not want my bag being left behind because I did not tip the porter. You never know!

So I always give at least $5 to the porter for my 2 bags. From the day before my trip I always make sure I have

a $5 bill or 5 singles. Like the previous poster said "its cheap insurance".

Well, this thread was exaclty what I thought it would be....the same old argument.

I've said this in the past and I'll say it again...if when I pull up to the curb, a porter greets me at my car, opens the door for my wife, pulls our bags out of our trunk, including her heavy bag, gives us the friendly reminders of making sure we have our boarding pass and passports, I do not care how much he makes. He just provided my wife and I with a personal service and to me, that is worth a few bucks. If he makes good money doing what he does, then I say good for him!

I know I don't have to tip him. That's my choice.

And by the way, I have been on a lot of cruises. Not once has a porter ever tried to extort money out of me by saying something stupid. Then again, maybe it has something to do with the friendly way I approach him.

Same here Paul. Their work is appreciated by myself and my family, for sure.

Port of Miami is the port I have sailed out of most often on US cruises; there are several signs up there saying that the porters do not need to be tipped. If you search other threads on this topic, some people have posted pictures of the signs. Another poster commented on his conversation with a customer service rep who said that at Port of Miami they are earning $40 to $60 per hour (without tips) and when serving as porters are often doing overtime and earning $60 to $90 per hour. Yet some people shower them with $5's and $10's for doing a few seconds worth of work on top of this. One of the reasons why port fees are so high in Miami is because of the porters' high wages and union influence.

You statement about their salary is hliiarious as you not doubt have any idea of what they make hourly.

Their wages were negotiated by the union"ILA" and USMX and are consistant fro Maine to Texas and they make no where near what you said.

Besides being a lonshoreman is more than being a porter for the cruise line which I am sure you are not aware of.

The cruise lines pay they stevedore company to provide services other than handle luggage while the vessel is docked.

You statement about their salary is hliiarious as you not doubt have any idea of what they make hourly.

Their wages were negotiated by the union"ILA" and USMX and are consistant fro Maine to Texas and they make no where near what you said.

Besides being a lonshoreman is more than being a porter for the cruise line which I am sure you are not aware of.

The cruise lines pay they stevedore company to provide services other than handle luggage while the vessel is docked.

They absolutely do not make the same coast to coast and the numbers are not off. Many earn six figures. Here is an article from 2002 (when they earned less) about the West Coast longshoremen's salaries:

http://www.rense.com/general30/long.htm

Believe me, they are paid very well.

They absolutely do not make the same coast to coast and the numbers are not off. Many earn six figures. Here is an article from 2002 (when they earned less) about the West Coast longshoremen's salaries:

Honestly I know nothing about this. But are porters that help with luggage longshoremen? I think of longshoremen as the men that load and unload the ship's cargo not the luggage porters. I find it hard to believe that porters are making the same money as someone that is doing a much more difficult, dangerous and physically challenging job.

Edit: Found this...not sure if it is accurate.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-a-longshoreman-do.htm

Honestly I know nothing about this. But are porters that help with luggage longshoremen? I think of longshoremen as the men that load and unload the ship's cargo not the luggage porters. I find it hard to believe that porters are making the same money as someone that is doing a much more difficult, dangerous and physically challenging job.

The guys who check your bags, who we are all referring to here as porters, do not make those salaries. I can't believe anyone here would fall for them making 6 figure salaries. No way.

The guys who check your bags, who we are all referring to here as porters, do not make those salaries. I can't believe anyone here would fall for them making 6 figure salaries. No way.

Yeah, it just doesn't seem right that a luggage porter would make the same as a longshoreman. Not that it matters really. When someone helps me with my luggage, I like to express my appreciation regardless of how much money they make. I agree that tipping is not "required" but I never thought it was.

Yes they do!!!!!!!!! They are union longshoremen. Before you spread further misinformation by making up comments like this, CALL THE PORT and they will give you the correct information. There is a reason there are signs up at all the US ports saying they do not need to be tipped!!! How many restaurants have you been to where there are signs to tell you you do not have to tip?

The misinformation on this thread is mind boggling. I am done responding to this thread. Anybody who wants the truth, call the customer service line at any US port and ask. If people want to throw money at people earning upper middle class salaries to push your luggage a few yards on a cart, knock yourself out. Leave them in your will. I will save this money to give to the hard working crew on the ship.

Again you are incorrect.The west coast is covered by th ILWU not The ILA. Thsese two organizations are DIFFERENT as are their wages among other things.

Again you are incorrect.The west coast is covered by th ILWU not The ILA. Thsese two organizations are DIFFERENT as are their wages among other things.

Great, now I need to make one more comment to clear up yet more misinformation. The point I was making is that these are union employees making very, very good salaries (and benefits) who are not meant to be tipped. I am not speaking about the individual initials of the various unions as that would only serve to confuse people. The facts are that all people serving as porters for cruise ships in US ports are union longshoremen earning generous salaries. The salaries vary based on what part of the country, but none of them are earning low salaries that are meant to be supplemented by tipping. Hence why all US ports have signs saying they do not need to be tipped, and some US ports do not allow them to accept tips.

Every time I see a thread like this I think of Jerry Seinfeld! He and Elaine were going to Cincinatti and at the airport arguing about the tip to the porter and how much it should be. Jerry said $10 and Elaine, $2. They asked the porter who agreed with Jerry, of course. SO Jerry tipped, Elaine didn't. After they left, the porter picked up Jerry's luggage which he said "Cincinatti" and Elaine's " HONOLULU".. So we always tip big!!:D

HaHaHaHaHa!!!! Love that one!:D

Great, now I need to make one more comment to clear up yet more misinformation. The point I was making is that these are union employees making very, very good salaries (and benefits) who are not meant to be tipped. I am not speaking about the individual initials of the various unions as that would only serve to confuse people. The facts are that all people serving as porters for cruise ships in US ports are union longshoremen earning generous salaries. The salaries vary based on what part of the country, but none of them are earning low salaries that are meant to be supplemented by tipping. Hence why all US ports have signs saying they do not need to be tipped, and some US ports do not allow them to accept tips.

I have been on just under 40 cruises and I have yet to see a sign like this. Has anyone else??

Please clear up your misinformation as it seems you may not know what a longshoreman truely does for a living.

Tony, a longshoreman is someone who loads/unloads cargo ships specifically, correct? Sounds like a really tough, stressful job.

That is the main function.Now we have many other jobs to do in conjuction with the loading and unloading of various types of ships.

Yes not only stressful but deadly just ask the family of a longshoreman who was crused to death earlier this month in New Jersey.

Archived