Tipping porters

The guys who check your bags, who we are all referring to here as porters, do not make those salaries. I can't believe anyone here would fall for them making 6 figure salaries. No way.

Exactly. My BIL, who is a porter, doesn't make 6 figures across his 3 jobs, let alone as just a porter. But what can you do? All I can do is sit here and shake my head when people post such false info as he is. :rolleyes:

That is the main function.Now we have many other jobs to do in conjuction with the loading and unloading of various types of ships.

Yes not only stressful but deadly just ask the family of a longshoreman who was crused to death earlier this month in New Jersey.

I can only imagine. That would be a tough job.

Exactly. My BIL, who is a porter, doesn't make 6 figures across his 3 jobs, let alone as just a porter. But what can you do? All I can do is sit here and shake my head when people post such false info as he is. :rolleyes:

But we're not as worldly or intelligent as he or she is, don't forget. Ha Ha!

Let's pretend for a moment that these guys are working for tips only. In a given afternoon for a ship carrying 3500 passengers, they'll handle between 3500-7000 bags. Even if they only net out $1/bag, that's $3500-7000 tax free money to split between (pick a number ... how about 6?). Frankly, I suspect my numbers are very, very low. Sounds like a nice haul. Do you suppose the signs that tell us that tips are not expected is to save them from having to claim the income?

Excuse me ... I have to go don my flame-retarant suit ...

I have been on just under 40 cruises and I have yet to see a sign like this. Has anyone else??

What? Of course the signs are there. They don't say not to tip. They just say that tipping is not required.

I cannot understand why people feel obliged to tip these folks, but not their flight attendant, or the captain, or the person that checks you in at the port, or ..

Let's pretend for a moment that these guys are working for tips only. In a given afternoon for a ship carrying 3500 passengers, they'll handle between 3500-7000 bags. Even if they only net out $1/bag, that's $3500-7000 tax free money to split between (pick a number ... how about 6?). Frankly, I suspect my numbers are very, very low. Sounds like a nice haul. Do you suppose the signs that tell us that tips are not expected is to save them from having to claim the income?

Emerald, I don't think anyone here is arguing that they're working for tips only.

What? Of course the signs are there. They don't say not to tip. They just say that tipping is not required.

I cannot understand why people feel obliged to tip these folks, but not their flight attendant, or the captain, or the person that checks you in at the port, or ..

I've never seen a sign, my fault then.

I understand your point but tipping luggage handlers or porters has been common place for a very long time. Google the topic and most sources recommend tipping a dollar two per bag. It really is quite customary. I also tip the porter at a hotel that delivers my bag to my room.

I won't flame you for asking. According to my BIL, most tips come from passengers who drive to the port. Passengers from busses, who make up the majority of passengers, rarely tip because they usually do not personally hand over their bags.

As for income, only a small portion of tipped income has to be reported. But no, that is not why the signs exist. The signs are there because there are one or two porters who gave all a bad name by demanding tips from people. As expected, it generated complaints, thus the signs. I belive the ones in Miami are worded something like "Tipping is optional based on service."

I won't flame you for asking. According to my BIL, most tips come from passengers who drive to the port. Passengers from busses, who make up the majority of passengers, rarely tip because they usually do not personally hand over their bags.

As for income, only a small portion of tipped income has to be reported. But no, that is not why the signs exist. The signs are there because there are one or two porters who gave all a bad name by demanding tips from people. As expected, it generated complaints, thus the signs. I belive the ones in Miami are worded something like "Tipping is optional based on service."

Great explanation. I learned something new, thanks.

I've seen the signs too...and I've also seen the guy with his hand out who has done ZIP for me other than walk a couple steps & put my bag on the cart...lesson learned...I now pack light...and take my OWN bag onboard...:D no waiting around for it to show up at my cabin...I can get in..unpack & start having fun!!;)

Zero in US ports; there are signs up at the ports saying they do not need to be tipped. They are union longshoremen and they earn good wages (upper middle class) that are not meant to be supplemented by tips. If all you are doing is handing them your bags as you enter the terminal they only do about 10 seconds of work. They put your bag on a cart next to them, push the cart a few yards, then others take over. You are already paying a lot for this service in your port fees. Now if you have them do extra tasks such as carry your luggage and hail a cab for you at the end of a cruise, a small gratuity is nice, but you are throwing away money if you tip them for carrying out their most basic job duty.

I was wondering how long this would take. For those who keep track of such things, forty-eight (48) minutes!;)

Signs signs everywhere are signs, blocking up the scenery, breaking my mind. Do this dont do that, Cant you read the sign? ............*yawn* same old argument, different day.

I dont care what these porters make per hour :rolleyes:......I will go on ahead and give my usual couple bucks tip for their services. As someone that is physically handicapped, I very much appreciate what they do for me just as I do a bag boy that takes my groceries to the car even though signs tell me that carry out service is customary and not to tip.

Whether they make minimum wage like the bag boy does or 50.00 an hour makes no difference to me

Zero in US ports; there are signs up at the ports saying they do not need to be tipped. They are union longshoremen and they earn good wages (upper middle class) that are not meant to be supplemented by tips. If all you are doing is handing them your bags as you enter the terminal they only do about 10 seconds of work. They put your bag on a cart next to them, push the cart a few yards, then others take over. You are already paying a lot for this service in your port fees. Now if you have them do extra tasks such as carry your luggage and hail a cab for you at the end of a cruise, a small gratuity is nice, but you are throwing away money if you tip them for carrying out their most basic job duty.

You will soon be picking up your bag in the ocean!!!

Signs signs everywhere are signs, blocking up the scenery, breaking my mind. Do this dont do that, Cant you read the sign? ............*yawn* same old argument, different day.

I dont care what these porters make per hour :rolleyes:......I will go on ahead and give my usual couple bucks tip for their services. As someone that is physically handicapped, I very much appreciate what they do for me just as I do a bag boy that takes my groceries to the car even though signs tell me that carry out service is customary and not to tip.

Whether they make minimum wage like the bag boy does or 50.00 an hour makes no difference to me

Five Man Electrical Band...woohoo!!! Do you have that on 45? :D

Exactly my thinking. The porters provide a service to me that I can't do myself. It never occurred to me not to tip them.

Silly argument , there is no right or wrong in this , yes the porters provide a service but that service is paid for by royal Caribbean , which we pay for when we book the cruise , so if you don't want to tip don't , if you are feeling generous and want to show your appreciation then tip , I don't know why there has to be such a big debate about it , surely the answer is do if you want to and don't if you don't .

The IRS would disagree. All income has to be reported for tax purposes.

Exactly my thinking. The porters provide a service to me that I can't do myself. It never occurred to me not to tip them.

Sorry to perpetuate this thread, but this kind of silly logic makes me crazy.

Do you tip everyone that provides a service to you that you can't do yourself? How much do you tip your dentist?

There are some positions like wait staff in a restaurant, or wait staff and room attendants on a cruise who everyone knows are totally dependent on tips to earn a living. So tip them generously.

But I just can't fathom why you'd tip a well-paid dock worker who is not dependent on tips just because it is 'personal service'. How much does a flight attendant get for bringing you a drink?

Archived