B2B cruises.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that when you cruise back to back, you have to physically get off the ship at the homeport between cruises. Is this so? :confused:

Yes, that's true.

When we did our back to back cruise on the Pacific Pearl in June / July, when we got to Sydney we had to get off.

(We wanted to get off anyway, so it did not matter for us).

Hope this helps :)

Yes

Yes, you have to (Twice, Once as you leave the boat & then again getting back on).

Bummer! We don't want to go anywhere of course, (because we've seen it all). I'd go home to do the washing, but wouldn't ask my friends to pick us up just for this. Cheaper to do it on the ship while everyone is away for the day. :D)

Each cruise line seems to hanldle it differentlty.

P&O Australia are the only line I have heard of that force you off the ship.

We have done B2B wiith Princess and HAL and they have issued a new cruise card for the second half, while we were still on board , and we have just carried on as if it was all one cruise.

Which line are you thinking of?

We have done B2B on Princess, Carnival and RCCL and had to get off by 9 am on every one. Once off, you had to wait till about 10.30 to get back on the ship.

They issued us with our cruise cards the night before to use when we got back onto the ship.

RCCL also put on a lunch,including drinks, for the B2B cruisers where they explained to everyone what to expect on the changeover day. That was a nice touch.

We did B2B cruises on Pacific Jewel in Sept/Oct 2010. We had to get off but it could be anytime before 2pm. Then we had to check in again for the next cruise but we had priority check in. If you got off & straight back on you'd probably only be off half hour. We were having people join us for the second one and wanted to drop off our duty free to our son (he was bringing my dad & his partner to the dock for the cruise) so we could buy more on the second cruise.

The laundry is generally not open on turnaround day but if you ask at the Purser's desk beforehand they should open it for you.

On our recent B2B on Diamond Princess the hospitality manager came to our cabin to explain the procedure of changing cabins and told us we would have a new cruise card delivered to our cabin the final night.

Our new card was waiting for us with IN TRANSIT written on it, it was a simple procedure of getting dinged off with the old and they retook our photo for the new card. We didn't have to get off and were told we didn't have to attend muster.

Princess were going to move all our hanging clothes and when we went to see if our new cabin was ready after breakfast and found out it was we moved our suitcases ourselves, the room steward rang her supervisor and 5 minutes later the hanging clothing arrived.....all in all a very smooth changeover.

NCL also force you off the ship. One quick note: On the second cruise and you wish to skip the muster drill and wait in a public lounge be sure to take the letter the cruise line gives you. As when a crew member comes over they will tell you to go to the muster station, and I don't think many of them no about the procedure for B2B cruises as they become confused when you try and tell them. It took us about 10 minutes for the crew to call someone up to get information on what was going on. So it would be much easier just to carry the note.

One quick note: On the second cruise and you wish to skip the muster drill and wait in a public lounge be sure to take the letter the cruise line gives you. As when a crew member comes over they will tell you to go to the muster station, and I don't think many of them no about the procedure for B2B cruises as they become confused when you try and tell them. It took us about 10 minutes for the crew to call someone up to get information on what was going on. So it would be much easier just to carry the note.

I don't know if that the case with all the lines, but the easy way of not worrying about that is not to sit in a public lounge :D

When we where on the Pacific Pearl on our B2b, at muster drill time, we just sat outside on the back deck! And enjoy the Sun :cool:

Tip: if you want a drink / food to have during the muster drill, get it before the muster drill starts! Otherwise you will have to help your self to water!

NCL also force you off the ship. One quick note: On the second cruise and you wish to skip the muster drill and wait in a public lounge be sure to take the letter the cruise line gives you. As when a crew member comes over they will tell you to go to the muster station, and I don't think many of them no about the procedure for B2B cruises as they become confused when you try and tell them. It took us about 10 minutes for the crew to call someone up to get information on what was going on. So it would be much easier just to carry the note.

The words In Transit on your new card means you don't have to explain anything with princess :)

We have done B2B on Princess, Carnival and RCCL and had to get off by 9 am on every one. Once off, you had to wait till about 10.30 to get back on the ship.

They issued us with our cruise cards the night before to use when we got back onto the ship.

RCCL also put on a lunch,including drinks, for the B2B cruisers where they explained to everyone what to expect on the changeover day. That was a nice touch.

I remember that Lizzy, that was a lovely lunch and a nice touch by RCCL.

Sandi.....you don't have to take your luggage off the ship.

Jill:)

Thanks so much for all the info everyone. :) It's Princess and we have the same cabin so don't have to move clothes. (Most of you will understand why I haven't put countdowns on yet. ;) :rolleyes: )

Yes we sure do Sandi:D:D

No point in feeding the fish:p

P&O do not force you off. I did back to back on Oriana a few times and was able to stay on all day and was given a new card a day before. You also do not have to attend the emergency station drill on the second sailing.

Celebrity also does that, and there's no need to get off, unless you want to.

P&O do not force you off. I did back to back on Oriana a few times and was able to stay on all day and was given a new card a day before. You also do not have to attend the emergency station drill on the second sailing.

I think everyone on here has been talking about P & O Australia not P & O UK.

On our HAL b2b our changeover was in Singapore, so we willingly got off, but our cruise card didn't change. We missed the muster drill because of the slow process through Singapore customs on reboarding. We received a letter in our cabin saying we were "invited" to a drill for those passengers who missed it, but it didn't have a place or time, lol. We didn't chase it up. However, this was a week before the Costa Concordia accident, so I daresay that little issue has now been tightened up on HAL ...

Cheers,

With P&O Aust passengers doing back to back have to get off, but we were off for only a bit over half an hour. We didn't have to take our belongings, just our passports, cruise documents for the next cruise and our cruise cards.

Sandy - we understand why you don't have a countdown clock. I don't either. :)

Thanks so much for all the info everyone. :) It's Princess and we have the same cabin so don't have to move clothes. (Most of you will understand why I haven't put countdowns on yet. ;) :rolleyes: )

I'll be waiting to see if the info is gleaned from elsewhere :)

Congratulations on your B2B booking!!

Archived