Oceania Air

hypercafe

I usually book my own air, but this time I am taking O's air.

I think I can request my air 270 days out? If my cruise is June 16, 1025 (7 nighter) 270 days is Sept 19th. Do I have to way till the return falls under the 270 days, or just the departure date?

Thanks

I usually book my own air, but this time I am taking O's air.

I think I can request my air 270 days out? If my cruise is June 16, 1025 (7 nighter) 270 days is Sept 19th. Do I have to way till the return falls under the 270 days, or just the departure date?

Thanks

I think it is just the departure date

I usually request at 270 out ..seems to work out ;)

Providing their contract with the airlines are in place for the dates

The reason I grouch about the "air deviation" fee is I am the one who does all the research and pick out the exact flights that I want - then all Oceana had to do when I call them was see if those flights were available, and if not, I had Plan B ready to go. I am sure you are all correct - when dealing with groups or individuals that change their mind several times, they might be earning their fee - but they are making money off of me, for 5 minute's work, as it was for my October cruise air deviation.

So you think they should have different fees depending on how much effort they expend...the problem with that is figuring out how much to charge would add an extra layer of complexity and would raise the price for everyone.

Sent from my XT1031 using Forums mobile app

I have found it worthwhile to use Oceania's "free" air, especially in those instances (which are frequent) in which you fly to one destination and come back from another. I can never beat Oceania's prices.

We just flew to Lisbon and came back from Barcelona. The Barcelona to Washington DC trip was not a good experience, as Heathrow is an awful airport in which to make connections, and the British Airways flights in general have poor on-time records on most of the cross-pond flights I've looked at. (I use flightaware.com to check on-time records and average delays for a particular time period). If you are given a connecting flight at Heathrow with less than an hour and a half to connect, I would ask for something else. I was very sorry I had not asked Oceania for an air deviation 270 days out instead of a month or two pre-trip. Perhaps I could have gotten something better, or at least less stressful.

I think the quality of flights and connections you get, with or without a deviation, can be very variable, but generally they are pretty good. Some of the people on this last cruise were complaining about the flights back from Barcelona, but you can't expect a nonstop flight if it doesn't exist, and I really don't think you can't expect the "free air" to include the absolute best (expensive) flights you can find on Kayak! In the case of Barcelona to Washington DC or Baltimore, for example, there are NO non-stop flights, which is surprising, given that both DC and Barcelona are major cities. As others have said, it is best to start thinking about travel plans and flights early, do your homework, and ask for a deviation as soon as possible if that's what you want. For those who live near two or more airports (NY, DC, SF, etc.) make sure your travel agent knows if you're willing to fly out of an alternate airport, or mix airports coming and going as we just did.

O has come through with some very good rates, in the past. The major problem I have is getting them to do anything, even if I'm willing to pay, at more than 270 days out. We typically fly P.E., or airline equivalent rarely paying for Business unless it's a deal or on points. Airlines typically open up seating at 330 days out, some even at 360(5). To popular destinations, on convenient flights, I have seen all the P.E. seats disappear on those flights within 10-15 days of the flight opening up. Waiting on O's "magic" date of 270 days is often not an option.

Case in point, Quantas ran a sale on flights to OZ last Feb. They opened up flights for booking a year out. Perfect timing for our OZ/NZ cruise on Marina. Every P.E. seat was gone on the flights we looked at within about 10 days of opening the flights ~ 350 days out. United/NZ Air was pretty much the same when they started selling flights at 330 days out. So, if you were waiting on O at 270 days out, welcome to economy for that 14+ hour flight! :eek: Business Class seats were higher than the price of the cruise!

Airlines have been cutting back on flights, and those flights have been filling up quicker than in the past. O's 270 day window is not in touch with reality unless one is happy being buried in the center section of economy on those long flights across the pond. I'm not a 20 something anymore, can't (and won't) do it.

O has come through with some very good rates, in the past. The major problem I have is getting them to do anything, even if I'm willing to pay, at more than 270 days out. We typically fly P.E., or airline equivalent rarely paying for Business unless it's a deal or on points. Airlines typically open up seating at 330 days out, some even at 360(5). To popular destinations, on convenient flights, I have seen all the P.E. seats disappear on those flights within 10-15 days of the flight opening up. Waiting on O's "magic" date of 270 days is often not an option.

Case in point, Quantas ran a sale on flights to OZ last Feb. They opened up flights for booking a year out. Perfect timing for our OZ/NZ cruise on Marina. Every P.E. seat was gone on the flights we looked at within about 10 days of opening the flights ~ 350 days out. United/NZ Air was pretty much the same when they started selling flights at 330 days out. So, if you were waiting on O at 270 days out, welcome to economy for that 14+ hour flight! :eek: Business Class seats were higher than the price of the cruise!

Airlines have been cutting back on flights, and those flights have been filling up quicker than in the past. O's 270 day window is not in touch with reality unless one is happy being buried in the center section of economy on those long flights across the pond. I'm not a 20 something anymore, can't (and won't) do it.

While I completely understand all of your points, there is a problem opening up flights for booking much earlier than O does. The problem is that while your outgoing flight may have flights available, depending on how long your cruise is, the return flights may not be available and would create a significant problem in the air office since it would be difficult, if not impossible to book one way flights when the return is not available and flights might not be available at a later date. The different length cruises as well as deviations to leave early or return late would set up a significant challenge to take care of everybody in a correct and timely manner.

Doubt this problem could be solved simply and why cruise lines use the 270 day mark for deviations as that timeframe will cover most any happenstance.

When I request my deviation, can I request specific flights on a specific carrier?

It so happens that the shortest flights, happen to be the cheapest...

Example MEM-FCO

I want a certain DL flight that goes thru ATL, it is the shortest, but is the cheapest too.

How exact when asking for flights can I be?

Edited by kimanjo

When I request my deviation, can I request specific flights on a specific carrier?

Example MEM-FCO

I want a certain DL flight that goes thru ATL, it is the shortest, but is the cheapest too.

Yes, you can request specific flights on specific carriers with specific connection cities. However, beware of the fact that the least expensive flight you find on ita.com or the airlines website may not be the least expensive to Oceania and thus you might be asked to pay additional for the flights you choose. Also, Oceania only has contracts with specific airlines so it is possible that your choice is not a contracted carrier so your choice won't be the least expensive and cost you extra.

If you at first you don't succeed, try, try again. They will keep working with you until you accept or decide to use O air.

Kimanjo;

I have given O the exact flights that I wanted and they have came back with pricing. Sometimes their pricing is attractive, sometimes it isn't.

One thing to consider. We always use our excellent TA to book our O cruises. On done, then everything must go through the TA. O Air won't talk to you. Here's the drill. You tell your TA what flights you want, she/he then passes that on to O Air. O Air responds within some time frame back to the TA, who then must forward the response to you. If you don't like the response, and want to look at a different option, start the process over.

O doesn't do well with P.E. seating. Don't take one of their economy seats and think you can necessarily upgrade it to P.E. unless you have very good status with the airlines. If O buys the seat, some airlines will not allow you to do anything, everything must go through O until the day of the flight. Airline dependent.

Example MEM-FCO

Well so far I have given my TA the air carrier/flt #/date & times of the flights

O has come through on all of my requests

Thanks for all the responses and information. I was unsure how detailed my requests could be.

thank you

J.

I forgot, one more question. My closest Gateway city to Memphis is Atlanta. Instead, I will book my air from MEM, knowing there is an additional fee 200$ 250$ ??. (If you see the prices to fly to Europe from MEM, I can't come close taking the credit and booking my own air)

Do I pay that fee when I accept the Air Deviation, or can I add it to my final payment $$$

Thanks again

Edited by kimanjo
one more question

Our recent experience with arriving Sydney but departing Papeete was that the entire booking could not be done until the return flights from Papeete on ATN were posted. The Sydney portion on Qantas was available about 330 days out -- the ATN flights not until 270 days out. In order to not pay two one-way fares, we had to wait until the whole package was available. We did get lucky and score P.E. on the long haul.

The fee is payable as soon as you accept the deviation and is non-refundable for any reason. Future changes, if any are subject to additional deviation fees.

That's what I thought to; but we have yet to be charged FLA last month's accepted deviation.

That's what I thought to; but we have yet to be charged FLA last month's accepted deviation.

Maybe your TA did not accept the flights for you ??

We always receive an updated invoice with the flight info & the deviation charge

I cannot remember if the flight info shows up in the already booked section on O soon after acceptance

I know you can check on Virtually there site to get the PNR number for the airlines used

https://www.virtuallythere.com/new/login.html;jsessionid=2B8E7F9E570EA053C6DEAA9A8127C763.node4

Edited by LHT28

The fee is payable as soon as you accept the deviation and is non-refundable for any reason. Future changes, if any are subject to additional deviation fees.

OK, the deviation fee is paid when you accept the deviation.

What about the fee for flying out of a Non-Gateway city? Can I pay that fee when I pay the cruise in full???

We always receive an updated invoice with the flight info & the deviation charge

I cannot remember if the flight info shows up in the already booked section on O soon after acceptance

I know you can check on Virtually there site to get the PNR number for the airlines used

https://www.virtuallythere.com/new/login.html;jsessionid=2B8E7F9E570EA053C6DEAA9A8127C763.node4

He did accept it and my booking is showing on the airline website. I can't see anything on the O site. I have asked my TA to get O to send me a confirmation.

OK, the deviation fee is paid when you accept the deviation.

What about the fee for flying out of a Non-Gateway city? Can I pay that fee when I pay the cruise in full???

The only time we did this, we paid the (at that time) deviation fee of $150/pp and $199/pp upcharge to fly from our home city. This was all charged to our credit card when we accepted the flights. Consequently, from now on, we always consider that the 'free air' will cost us at least $374/pp (deviation fee now $175/pp) and use that information when thinking about doing the airfare ourselves vs using Oceania air.

First I used Oceania air HNL to Tahiti... saved thousands if I used miles or dollars. As a bonus the called 3 weeks prior and offered a business class seat for $699...... rather than the fare of $2300+ I flew back on miles from NY. Took it one way and got a 50% refund

Now when comparing the free air to the fare you will pay or the miles/points you will use beware. March 2015 is a BIG day when at least on UAL miles all disappear and are replaced by points. Earning points will be very difficult unless you are a top level premier. Example flying to HNL fro LAX you can get for about $450 and presently earn 5100 miles. Starting in 2015 you will only earn miles or points based on the fare...

which is $ x status level = points Using this NEW method a regular coach passenger would earn about2100 miles/points not 5100! A last min flight Palm Springs to Las Vegas 230 miles and selling for $450rt would earn the same points/miles as flying to Hawaii which is 10 times furthur

Flying first class presently for say $2500 get you 7500 miles now but new gets you 12,500 !

Check your program NOW Big change coming

So you think they should have different fees depending on how much effort they expend...the problem with that is figuring out how much to charge would add an extra layer of complexity and would raise the price for everyone.

Sent from my XT1031 using Forums mobile app

I did not say that - Anywhere in my original post. I think this should be part of the service we are already paying for - these are not cheap cruises. Just my opinion, just as you have yours.

First I used Oceania air HNL to Tahiti... saved thousands if I used miles or dollars. As a bonus the called 3 weeks prior and offered a business class seat for $699...... rather than the fare of $2300+ I flew back on miles from NY. Took it one way and got a 50% refund

Now when comparing the free air to the fare you will pay or the miles/points you will use beware. March 2015 is a BIG day when at least on UAL miles all disappear and are replaced by points. Earning points will be very difficult unless you are a top level premier. Example flying to HNL fro LAX you can get for about $450 and presently earn 5100 miles. Starting in 2015 you will only earn miles or points based on the fare...

which is $ x status level = points Using this NEW method a regular coach passenger would earn about2100 miles/points not 5100! A last min flight Palm Springs to Las Vegas 230 miles and selling for $450rt would earn the same points/miles as flying to Hawaii which is 10 times furthur

Flying first class presently for say $2500 get you 7500 miles now but new gets you 12,500 !

Check your program NOW Big change coming

Delta is doing the same thing starting next year

These are not cheap cruises in comparison to say carnival or NCL.

They are however a very, very good bargain and you get way better value for what you get......way better than say Celeb, Holland America charges.. The intrinsic value of having such variety, 1/2 to 1/3 the passenger, the ambiance, service and the finest food afloat....

When you add it all up these Oceaina cruises can not be beaten for value and price.... As a cost comparison I ran everything I received on Oceania against a Holland America cruise of similar length and it was hundreds of dollars a day more on Holland ( which cant even come close to any of the standards I experienced on Marina.....

I am so glad this subject came up. My TA confirmed that they accepted it; but they apparently didn't. They are fixing now. Sure glad I didn't find out just before the cruise.

I am so glad this subject came up. My TA confirmed that they accepted it; but they apparently didn't. They are fixing now. Sure glad I didn't find out just before the cruise.

Glad you found out now :eek:

He did accept it and my booking is showing on the airline website

? how did you see your flights on the website if they did not confirm them

First I used Oceania air HNL to Tahiti... saved thousands if I used miles or dollars.

As we recall, you had to fly from Honolulu to Los Angeles, lay over for eleven hours and then fly from Los Angeles to Papeete. That meant over twenty-four hours in transit. It only seems fair to mention that, "free" or not, some of us just couldn't/wouldn't be able to do that and Hawaiian Airlines still has their six hour non-stop on Saturdays from Honolulu to Papeete for $807. There are some things like this that are worth the money.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts