Speciality reservation policy for couples eating together

stuNYC

I just returned from my first Oceania cruise and was dismayed at the fact that my sister and I who were traveling in individual Penthouse Suites were allowed to make only four reservations during our entire 12 day cruise on Marina. Oceania rationale was that since my sister and I were eating together we each got our promised allotment of 4 reservations. Our butler was not able to get any additional reservation despite going down each morning.

What has your experience been?

I am not sure what the problem is...Did you not get to eat four times each in the specialty restaurants? Do you think you should have gotten 8 advanced reservations since you were in two rooms? they still would have been 8 reservations for one each, I guess...then you might have chosen to eat not together...

When we cruised on Marina in August, we were in an Oceania Suite and so we got 8 advanced reservations...But we still had no problem booking an extra reservation in Toscana...We had become friends with another two couples and the six of us wanted to dine there together the last night of the cruise--no problem...

I have also heard from many others that they had no problem getting additional reservations...

Perhaps you needed to be a little more flexible as to which restaurant and which time slot?

Agreed, I don't see what the problem is. You were guaranteed 4 reservations and you got 4 reservations as did your sister. Are you saying a table for 8 should get 32 reservations??

Perhaps Oceania should better state the rule as you get one meal in each of the 4 restaurants, no matter who or how many you are dining with.

We have always been able to get more reservations by going up to Terrace and booking but then again we think the MDR is good enough we rarely want more than one in each restaurant.

As I understand it the reservations are per cabin not per person

well...yes and no...

Say you had three people sharing one cabin...you would get the same four reservations, but for three people each night...

Both the OP and her sister were each getting four reservations...it is just that they chose to eat together...

You get the number of reservations nights for the people in your cabin...You can chose to share a table with the people from another cabin--but you BOTH use one of you reservations...

By the OP's assumed logic, my friends and I should be able to book three cabins and each make FOUR reservations for six people and get TWELVE nights reserved in the specialty restaurants...

That said, it is still hard to believe that on a 12 night cruise there was not a single extra reservation slot in any of the specialty restaurants...

well...yes and no...

Say you had three people sharing one cabin...you would get the same four reservations, but for three people each night...

Both the OP and her sister were each getting four reservations...it is just that they chose to eat together...

You get the number of reservations nights for the people in your cabin...You can chose to share a table with the people from another cabin--but you BOTH use one of you reservations...

By the OP's assumed logic, my friends and I should be able to book three cabins and each make FOUR reservations for six people and get TWELVE nights reserved in the specialty restaurants...

HUH :eek:

So If I choose to eat in one restaurant & my DH chooses another one we still have 3 reservation left:confused::confused:

Do not think so.... but whatever

Maybe it is just your way of saying 1 reservation per cabin ;)

to be quite frank (which I know will be very unpopular on the board); but paying in aggregate of over $30,000 for a cruise should get me the priority reservations that Oceania promised in their literature.

If 0's intention is to give every cabin reservations in each of the 4 speciality restaurants which appear to be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry popular, then they should enlarge the restaurants to meet the demand. Or maybe they can staff the restaurants so that every table is filled as opposed to only half.

We ate in the Terrace Cafe most nights and they treated us as royalty, so I guess that everything happens for a reason and the best.

I am was even more confused when on day 10 I reached out to the GM who told me that on my sister next 14 day TA cruise she would have many more opportunities to eat in speciality restaurants on her longer (by 2 days) itinerary. Doe this make any sense to anybody? It certainly didn't to me. By the way, he did give me an additional reservation for day 11.

to be quite frank (which I know will be very unpopular on the board); but paying in aggregate of over $30,000 for a cruise should get me the priority reservations that Oceania promised in their literature.

I still do not understand

Did you get your allotted 4 reservations?

Did you book them online prior to boarding?

Just guessing but I think the PRIORITY reservations applies to the time frame when you can book ahead for your cabin CAT

Reservation Rules

When to make your reservations:

Your booking must be paid in full.

The online dining reservation system closes 7 days prior to your sailing's embarkation date.

Owner's and Vista Suites can make reservations 90 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Penthouse Suites can make reservations 75 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Concierge Level Veranda staterooms can make reservations 60 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Staterooms can make reservations 45 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

I am wanting to know why an individual would book a penthouse suite? I mean we have booked one as a couple but two sisters travelling, I would have thought two concierge rooms would have been OK??

One other point to these ladies - they had access to ANY meal choice in their rooms... course by course. That is certainly something we will be doing!!

I am wanting to know why an individual would book a penthouse suite? I mean we have booked one as a couple but two sisters travelling, I would have thought two concierge rooms would have been OK??

One other point to these ladies - they had access to ANY meal choice in their rooms... course by course. That is certainly something we will be doing!!

I dont understand you, why shouldnt two sisters have penthouse suites or even owners suites if they prefer them?? I know couples that take 2 penthouse suites adjoining so they have more closets and 2 full bathrooms.

Jancruz1

So the OP asked what has your experience been? In the past many report getting extra reservations even those of us in inside cabins. In the past we have gotten extra spots, but the process officially is to go each morning and ask for a spot which never worked for us, we always had to go to the restaurant itself or the hotel manager to get a spot. I wonder what was so different in their situation? I too would have been very surprised at the way their reservations where handled.

You can criticize me for being the messenger about human frailties, but regardless of the amount of training and professionalism, I've found it can make a difference in the way things are asked. I don't know if that applies to the present situation; just sayin'.

It just occurred to me that city dwellers might interpret that to be a bribe -- I mean, a tip -- but no, I mean asking with enthusiasm and a smile.

I dont understand you, why shouldnt two sisters have penthouse suites or even owners suites if they prefer them?? I know couples that take 2 penthouse suites adjoining so they have more closets and 2 full bathrooms.

Jancruz1

Right you are, Jan, and given the thirty thousand dollar figure mentioned, I'm not quite sure if "OP and sister" were traveling as singles or with companions.

However, if they had pooled their resources and sailed together in an OVO Suite (Owners, Vista or Oceania Suite), they could have enjoyed virtually unlimited access to the Specialty Restaurants AND a stocked bar.

Now, an OVO Suite is not an option for four people, but if we are talking about two or three it could be an interesting option. I'm actually surprised that it has not been mentioned here before.

The priority that Oceania advertises for PH suites is for making reservations online earlier than lesser categories. It does not mean that you will have priority for more reservations once aboard. It is misleading if one is not familiar with the system on Marina and Riviera. Only in OVO suites, as JimandStan pointed out, can you pretty much get in anywhere anytime.

Jancruz1

Sorry that didn't come across well. I didn't mean that you shouldn't get two suites!! I suppose I am just kind of surprised that individuals would get a quite that's all. Heck if that is what can afford I say go for it!! I kind of understand where you are coming from regarding the reservations.

The priority that Oceania advertises for PH suites is for making reservations online earlier than lesser categories. It does not mean that you will have priority for more reservations once aboard. It is misleading if one is not familiar with the system on Marina and Riviera. Only in OVO suites, as JimandStan pointed out, can you pretty much get in anywhere anytime.

Same on the R ships for O & V. Any time you want.:)

I am the OP and just to clarify my sister and I were traveling with our spouses in adjoining staterooms.

Ironically I got an upsale for a Vista for $1500/PER; but only four cabins were available and they were taken before my TA got back to O.

Now please explain the logic why the upper suites can get all the reservations they want and two penthouse suites that cost as much together get only 4.

My sister went on Nautica on a 35 day cruise (which has 1/2 the passengers and only 2 restaurants) and ate in Polo virtually every night booked in an inside cabin. Go figure! I can't!!

Having not been on O before and based on my sister's prior experience, I took the wording literally. Wouldn't you if you didn't know any better.

The cruise is over and so may my cruising on O. I certainly don't think I got the value for the money spent. I am not a snob, I am not going up to Crystal like many others on the cruise mentioned but back to Celebrity. I am sure that is not going to be a popular choice on this board

Ah, so there were four people traveling! That makes more sense to me. You say you only got four reservations but you and your husband had four and your sister and her husband got four. The choice was yours as to whether you ate with the other couple or with your spouse. I fully understand that my husband and I only get four reservations on our trip and would not expect that if we had friends in the next cabin that would entitle us to more. I don't quite see that logic.

Good luck with going back to Celebrity. I enjoyed my cruise but it was only 2000 passengers (nearly drove me crazy) but when I thought about doing it again we were looking at ships with 3000 passengers. Too much for me I think but hey, maybe next time!!

I am the OP and just to clarify my sister and I were traveling with our spouses in adjoining staterooms.

Ironically I got an upsale for a Vista for $1500/PER; but only four cabins were available and they were taken before my TA got back to O.

Now please explain the logic why the upper suites can get all the reservations they want and two penthouse suites that cost as much together get only 4.

My sister went on Nautica on a 35 day cruise (which has 1/2 the passengers and only 2 restaurants) and ate in Polo virtually every night booked in an inside cabin. Go figure! I can't!!

As much as I want to be able to sympathize with your complaints, I find that I cannot. Not really.

I'm sorry you weren't in time to get the upsell to the Vista. But the logic that the upper suites get all the reservations they want while two PHs traveling together cannot is (I think) simply because Oceania thinks in terms of individual cabins. Most PH passengers aren't traveling with someone else. If you want special consideration because of your situation, maybe you should talk to the concierge upon boarding -- or perhaps just contact O beforehand. It seems to me they are set up to consider individual cabins, not 2-3 cabins traveling together.

And as someone who isn't really that entranced with the specialty restaurants and is happy to dine in the GDR anyway, I further don't understand the problem. (I can still sympathize with your feelings, however.)

As to your sister's experience on Nautica, there are cruises where there is plenty of room in Polo or Toscana every night because there are lots of people like DH and myself who would just as soon dine in the GDR or Terrace. And there are cruises where lots of people want the specialty restaurants. You never know which one you'll be on.

There should be less of a problem on Marina/Riviera since there are more options and more room, but even so ... you may not be able to get the reservation when you want it. When we were on Marina in October Jacques was empty on the first night but very full on subsequent nights.

You cannot predict when there will be space, all you can do is try to get some.

But don't expect O to realize that two couples in adjoining PH suites are spending as much as one couple in an OVO, and therefore should get extra consideration.

Ironically, we were in a VS on our Marina cruise (due to O's encouraging us to move from one cruise to another) and while our butler booked us in a specialty restaurant on each night, we cancelled about half of them ...

Too bad we weren't on the same cruise!

Mura

So, let me see if I understand the OP's complaint. If I get together with the folks in the cabin next door and claim our combined spending entitles us to twice the reservations, all 4 of us can get 8 specialty reservations?

Sorry. That's not the way it works. The two guests in the OVO suite who spent $30,000 is quite a bit different than four guests who spent an aggregate $30,000. Costs on any ship are figured per cabin with double occupancy -- that's why singles pay 200%, yet still get just 4 reservations.

To the OP, good liuck on Celebrity. You can get as many specialty restaurant reservations as you want -- you just have to pay extra for them.

Question to the original poster - you say that this was your first cruise and it was on Marina - your list of cruises under your name shows the Regatta, March 2012??

Which did you sail on? Just wondering...

I have TRIED to decipher it all...

What I gather is that several different people are using the SAME Cruise Critic screen name...

Apparently, there is a Stu...in NYC...who, I'll guess registered the screen name...His wife is Jean...and it appears she is using the same screen name/sign-in...So is Carol, the sister...and her husband Brian...I am not sure who is signing in each time or who started THIS thread...but, the history in the signature MAY belong to Stu while the thread may have been started by Carol...I think....

Then, as to the cruise history, apparently the Regatta cruise MAY be the upcoming MArch 29 cruise--because the StuNYC screen name has participated on the Roll Call thread there...

There is also a post suggesting that all four of them...perhaps...in some fashion or another...just cruised a back-to-back on Marina...a Caribbean and a TransAtlantic...

But, obviously, it's all a bit confused...

And, equally confused is the OP...

Having not been on O before and based on my sister's prior experience, I took the wording literally. Wouldn't you if you didn't know any better.

The cruise is over and so may my cruising on O. I certainly don't think I got the value for the money spent. I am not a snob, I am not going up to Crystal like many others on the cruise mentioned but back to Celebrity. I am sure that is not going to be a popular choice on this board

First of all, "upper suites" cannot get "all the reservations they want"...Those very few upper suites get two reservations in each specialy restaurant, everyone else gets one in each...

The "priority" means the order and timing of when you can make those reservations...Priority does NOT mean you eat there whenever you want...

...and additional reservations are available to everyone...on an "if available" basis...

So, why, on a 35 night cruise, could your sister eat in Polo so often? Because it was 35 nights!! Simple math...Oceania gives you the one or two advance reservations whether it is a 7 night cruise, a 16 night cruise or a 35 night cruise...If 684 passengers ...342 cabins...each get two advance reservations...on a shorter cruise, that total number of reservations will fill a large percentage of the slots...On a 35 night cruise, it fills the same number of slots--which leaves about four weeks worth of empty, unreserved tables...On a 35 night cruise, there is so much more available for the additional "if available" reservations...

Now, here's where I am reallly confused, OP, whoever you are...EXACTLY WHAT "wording" were you "taking literally"? I reread all the literature every time I cruise...I am somewhat obsessed...and I am a transactional attorney by profession...it is my job and my training to read everything carefully...and "literally"...I have NEVER seen anything in any wording provided by Oceania that has ever indicated I should be entitled to eat every meal in a specialty restaurant!

PLEASE point out this "wording" that, taken literally, would lead you to believe that...

Can't wait to get back to Marina's great specialty restaurants. There are 5 of us in 2 penthouses and a concierge cabin--but still only got 4 reservations since we are dining together.

No problem; I know we will get more oportunities--that's what that butler is for, right. We sail on June 6 for 12 days--we LOVE this ship and one big reason is the delicious food in the specialty restaurants. Just wish we could be as enthusiastic about the service and food in the MDR which we found inferior to most of our other cruises this year--Princess, Holland America and Seabourn. I'm sure those cruise lines would be happy to hear that they are offering a superior dining experience in the MDR. We haven't been on Marina for over a year so hopefully the spotty service of a year ago will have improved.

No matter, we would still choose to sail on this wonderful ship!!

Mom C

MomC, have a great trip!

We loved Marina's restaurants as well but I remain puzzled as to why so many object to the GDR. Now, it is true we were only there maybe two nights and one of those was with the captain, so for sure we got special service!

But we liked the venue, the service and the food. Maybe we aren't as fussy as other passengers. No, scratch the word "fussy". I don't mean to say that passengers who don't like the GDR are ... well, I just don't want to convey a negative impression!

Maybe we were lucky on our cruise, maybe we picked the right nights.

Then again, we have always preferred the GDR on the "R" ships to the specialty restaurants as well!

And we boarded Marina expecting to like Red Ginger best, and we did NOT. Jacques was our favorite.

Clearly, many of us have different opinions about the merits of the various restaurants, but it IS lovely to have so many choices on Marina/Riviera. I wish I were bright enough to figure out how the "R" ships could add these two restaurants to the mix, but I don't think anyone can!

(As to our GDR experience, we had 2-3 breakfasts there because I have to have those lamb chops -- we had a very port intensive cruise so most breakfasts were in our suite and I didn't ask for them there. We had 2-3 lunches as well. And maybe 2 dinners. We were never displeased. The food was good, we had excellent service, there was plenty of space and the noise level was FAR below what it is on the "R" ships.)

Mura

Archived