Pet Peeves

SewMuch

I didn't say my legs were heavy and I specifically said that it didn't matter if you wear a size 2 or 4, women over 40 should NOT wear short shorts. This thread was about OUR SPECIFIC PET PEEVES and this is one of mine.

Why do you think that physically fit women over 40 shouldn't wear shorts that are above knee length? I'm not talking about Daisy Dukes, but shorts that fall mid-thigh.

Something like these: http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=42829&categoryId=97&categoryName=PANTS-CAPRIS--SHORTS&pCategoryId=3&pCategoryName=WOMEN&gpCategoryId=1&gpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=97~~categoryName=PANTS-CAPRIS--SHORTS~~pCategoryId=3~~pCategoryName=WOMEN~~gpCategoryId=1~~gpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=y&pg=1

Why do you think that physically fit women over 40 shouldn't wear shorts that are above knee length? I'm not talking about Daisy Dukes, but shorts that fall mid-thigh.

The shorts in the link look FAB. If you can pull them off, I say go for it.

I think people should dress BOTH according to their age and their body. 20somethings with cellulite look just wrong in Daisy Dukes.

So do women in their fifties with a great body.

Call me old-fashioned, but showing as much skin as possible is a good look for no one.

The shorts in the link look FAB. If you can pull them off, I say go for it.

I think people should dress BOTH according to their age and their body. 20somethings with cellulite look just wrong in Daisy Dukes.

So do women in their fifties with a great body.

Call me old-fashioned, but showing as much skin as possible is a good look for no one.

Agreed! My legs (and body) look similar to the models except my calves are thinner.

I never said they had to be at the knee, I said they should be closer to the knee than the butt. But, to answer your question, because I think it looks tacky for women past 40 to wear short shorts. Period. I don't recall the OP telling us we have to justify our opinion nor that anyone has to agree with it.

If you want to wear your shorts with your "sticks" hanging out, go for it!

I never said they had to be at the knee, I said they should be closer to the knee than the butt. But, to answer your question, because I think it looks tacky for women past 40 to wear short shorts. Period. I don't recall the OP telling us we have to justify our opinion nor that anyone has to agree with it.

If you want to wear your shorts with your "sticks" hanging out, go for it!

I plan on it! Due to the shape of my legs they look much better on me than knee length shorts do.

To "lighten" things up a bit.....My legs are not what they were 25 years ago....had to have x-rays last week of my leg, knee and ankle...The young man that took the x-rays seemed a little unsure and so another tech came out to help him....This young man, then told me that he wanted me to lay my leg "FAT" :rolleyes:on the table! Poor thing, I knew he meant "FLAT" and I couldn't help teasing him about it...He just blushed and we both had a good laugh!:D

Having so much fun with this thread...even 3 weeks after returning from my cruise. Thanks to a recent (very blessed to have) weight loss, I was able to wear shorts mid-way betweeen thigh and knee. I am 55. My 23 year old daughter commenting on my cruise photos said I looked like I was like..15....

A few years ago I was 25 to 30 pounds heavier and I would only wear capris or bermudas at most. I think it all depends on what shape your body is in, and how comfortable you feel in your own skin, not age...

Agreed though, Daisy Dukes are not for women over 40!

Photo of DH and me (in denim shorts) on the cruise attached!

077.jpg.508b3f65ff21b5efbf117a6bc8582980.jpg

Vanity sizing drives me nuts! I wear a 0/2 today. I have size 6 pants from ten years ago. When I put them up to the current 0s from the same designer the 6s are bigger! I'm starting to get sized out of things...in some cases XXS is too big! I really wish companies would stop vanity sizing.

I agree! I am 5'4 123 pounds and I went shopping today... bought size 0 for shorts 2 for jeans, and small or x-small for tops! How is that possible?? I know for my height I can weigh I think 110 and still be healthy... what size would I wear then?

Weight Watchers just posted an article on Facebook about vanity sizing. They said the only things that have stayed true to size are sewing patterns. They said a size 8 in a McCall's pattern is 32-23.5-33.5, but these measurements would be a 0 or 00 at Ann Taylor or Banana Republic. Sure enough, these are very close to my measurements, and I wear a 0 or 2 from most stores. Of course, it used to be that sizes below an 8 didn't exist.

That is interesting because I went to Loft today and I was a 0 in shorts and 2 in jeans... there is no way I should be that small! I think I am more of a 4/6. I have older pants that are size 5/6 that are too tight! I don't think 5'4, 123 is size 0 material? What would I wear if I lost 10-15 pounds?

Oddly enough, apparently the length of our shorts is an "agree to disagree" thing. But I will add that I don't like those cut-off short-shorts where the front pocket sticks out past the bottom. In "olden times" we would have thrown them away!

wjak4 - You looked great in that picture! Good for you!

But I will add that I don't like those cut-off short-shorts where the front pocket sticks out past the bottom. In "olden times" we would have thrown them away!

Oh I know!! I think they look just plain silly... goes to show that "trendy" is not the same as "stylish" :D

I agree! I am 5'4 123 pounds and I went shopping today... bought size 0 for shorts 2 for jeans, and small or x-small for tops! How is that possible?? I know for my height I can weigh I think 110 and still be healthy... what size would I wear then?

That is interesting because I went to Loft today and I was a 0 in shorts and 2 in jeans... there is no way I should be that small! I think I am more of a 4/6. I have older pants that are size 5/6 that are too tight! I don't think 5'4, 123 is size 0 material? What would I wear if I lost 10-15 pounds?

Well I'm 5'4 135 lbs, though I carry a lot of muscle as I have a very low body fat percentage. My measurements are 33-23.5-33.5. I should not be a 0! It's crazy! I don't know what people that are truly tiny do! In many cases, XS is too big on me. I think 000 is headed our way. I feel bad whenever I see someone post on WW Facebook site that they're a size 6 and they never in their lives thought they'd be a 6. Well, you're not a real 6. People get bent out of shape when getting fitted for wedding and bridesmaid dresses because the sizing in bridalwear had not succumbed to vanity sizing. The size the bridal shop orders for you is your true size!

Oddly enough, apparently the length of our shorts is an "agree to disagree" thing. But I will add that I don't like those cut-off short-shorts where the front pocket sticks out past the bottom. In "olden times" we would have thrown them away!

wjak4 - You looked great in that picture! Good for you!

I agree on both counts!

Most "short shorts" have "patch" pockets so nothing sticks out, A dozen years ago I had a pair of cut offs that I used for heavy housework and gardening--that's where they belong in my opinion. But I haven't worn a pair out of the house since I finished high school.

it's frustrating..size 10 consistently and when I tried on wedding dresses I was anywhere from a 10-20 depending on the designer. My maid of honor tried on vintage dresses and she is around an 8 and those were more like 4's.

Well I'm 5'4 135 lbs, though I carry a lot of muscle as I have a very low body fat percentage. My measurements are 33-23.5-33.5. I should not be a 0! It's crazy! I don't know what people that are truly tiny do! In many cases, XS is too big on me. I think 000 is headed our way. I feel bad whenever I see someone post on WW Facebook site that they're a size 6 and they never in their lives thought they'd be a 6. Well, you're not a real 6. People get bent out of shape when getting fitted for wedding and bridesmaid dresses because the sizing in bridalwear had not succumbed to vanity sizing. The size the bridal shop orders for you is your true size!

A lot of mine have already been mentioned, bras that don't fit--or worse yet lack of bras. I do disagree with the previous poster, bathing suit or not, it needs to be supportive. Spend the money, it's really not much more, or better yet, buy one at the end of the season for next year. If you can't wear a bra (of some sort) under that gown and are bigger than an "A" cup or over 25, it's not the right gown for you.

Baseball caps make me crazy pretty much anywhere except in the sun. I was raised that men take their hat off when entering a building, regardless of the type of hat they are wearing. Exceptions for certain religious headwear of course!

Panty lines under tight clothes. Gross. Too tight clothes over cellulite. Double gross. I don't need so see the cottage cheese because someone thinks they are two sizes smaller than they actually are.

Speedos. I don't care to see some dudes junk.

Men in sneakers with suits or dress pants or even chinos. Yes, we notice, and yes, we think it's ridiculous even if we are polite enough to not comment. Of course for people with foot problems, it's a different story.

People who don't realize that sometimes "more is less." It's unfortunate that some women don't understand the difference between seductive and slutty.

If I can smell their cologne five minutes after they've left the room, they are wearing too much. In fact if I can smell it without leaning into them, they are wearing too much.

Ditto could not have said it better myself

Dear Fashion Industry: Please stop trying to convince me that empire-waist shirts/tunics/dresses look good on short, fat, busty women. They didn't the last time, or the time before that. They won't next time either. I don't want to look pregnant when I am not.

AMEN!

I'm a 38G healthy size 16 and I'm only 5'3 Empire tops are the devil.

• 2 weeks later...

Costco sized Muffin tops - tiny small butts with too tight/short tee's on - do these people not have mirrors. come on gals - there's lots of flattering clothing for your body shape. You don't have to wear that just because that's what fashion dictates.

And anything that looks like your butt is eating it!

I do envy those with spider and varicose vein free legs. If I win the lottery, I'll rush off to get them fixed........

It's not cheap but you don't need to win the lottery.;) Friend just had hers done, $350 a leg and they look GREAT. Must add that it was for spider veins and not varicose.

So it has nothing to do with judging, but how you respond with grace or disgust. I may have my pet peeves, but I'd never make negative assumptions because of them. Very nice people have dirty bra straps and wear jeans and T shirts.

We have neighbors who would set off lots of people, and did a number of others in the neighborhood.:( Long hair, beard, combat boots, jacked up pickup truck, etc. But, they are the NICEST, most generous, helpful and truly good people. :)

This is a very interesting thread. I do not have any Pet Peeves. I live each day as though were my last; I cannot please everybody.

Take care ladies & have a great day.

M

Well, you certainly pleased everyone with all your gowns on the other thread.;):)

It's not cheap but you don't need to win the lottery.;) Friend just had hers done, $350 a leg and they look GREAT. Must add that it was for spider veins and not varicose.

We have neighbors who would set off lots of people, and did a number of others in the neighborhood.:( Long hair, beard, combat boots, jacked up pickup truck, etc. But, they are the NICEST, most generous, helpful and truly good people. :)

Well, you certainly pleased everyone with all your gowns on the other thread.;):)

Ah C...you are too kind. I am sure there are things I do or don't that might be other Pet Peeves. I try to live by the golden rule, but I am not going to get my nails done right now to please somebody. Yes! I do have a chipped nail. I do shop at the Prom store for a certain gown for a certain theme ball. I bought a mermaid gown for the Neptune ball and a few other. To each his own. I am not going to let what people do or don't bother me. Life is too short.

MLTY

M

Pet peeve: people who wear all those cutsie "cruise clothes" that they wouldn't be caught dead in at home. Draws attention to themselves and everyone around them. Makes us prime targets for pickpockets even though I'm not in the group and am dressing more natively appropriate for the venue we are visiting.

;)

Kidding about the cutsie clothes. I am serious about my peeve about people dressing like tourists and not being sensitive to the region they are visiting. Nothing pissed me off more than seeing men wandering around the attractions in Egypt and Jordan wearing basketball shorts (I blame Michael Jordan for this one) and shirts, and ladies in very short shorts and platform espadrilles. And I get miffed when I see the same types of people huddling around the Pantheon in Rome or in the Piazza della Repubblica in Florence or around the Segrada Familia in Barcelona.

Kidding about the cutsie clothes. I am serious about my peeve about people dressing like tourists and not being sensitive to the region they are visiting. Nothing pissed me off more than seeing men wandering around the attractions in Egypt and Jordan wearing basketball shorts (I blame Michael Jordan for this one) and shirts, and ladies in very short shorts and platform espadrilles. And I get miffed when I see the same types of people huddling around the Pantheon in Rome or in the Piazza della Repubblica in Florence or around the Segrada Familia in Barcelona.

I hear ya - after our holiday to Hawaii, my DH has several really great "Hawaiian" shirts that he will never be able to wear again - that is unless we go back to Hawaii :D I love how he totally fit in with those great shirts there but back home in Canada - ummmmm - not so much - LOL

I hear ya - after our holiday to Hawaii, my DH has several really great "Hawaiian" shirts that he will never be able to wear again - that is unless we go back to Hawaii :D I love how he totally fit in with those great shirts there but back home in Canada - ummmmm - not so much - LOL

Aw, come on. He doesn't want to wear one of those fine Hawaiian shirts at the Stampede???

Alberta - one of my favorite places on earth!!!

Aw, come on. He doesn't want to wear one of those fine Hawaiian shirts at the Stampede???

Alberta - one of my favorite places on earth!!!

Don't think I haven't tried to get one on him for the Stampede - he's a red neck through and through - boots, hat and a big belt buckle :D And proud of it!

One more pet peeve personal one. When shopping: Vanity sizing is the devil. Make me feel I'm going down a size NOT up a size(dress story on another thread). then again my firend who's a personal shopper at Macy's said don't look at the number, try 1 size up, your size and 1 size larger. You never know how the sizing runs small or large, or in rare occasions true to size.- my pet peeve of the day:D

Archived