The "new" Celebrity Secrets thread

ghstudio

........We love to have wine in our cabin before dinner, or to bring to the shows. We pack a small box of wine in our suitcase. There are some great varieties out there these days. The box is sturdy, so no fear of bottle breakage. It also creates extra space for packing souvenirs for the trip home.

You can take the box wine instead of a bottle? Did not know this. Do you take it in your carry on or packed luggage? Do you have any problems with it being delivered? This is such a great option instead of a bottle!

Have you done this recently? Just wondering as I've read on at least one "bringing wine aboard" thread that =X= has recently started a more strict enforcement of the 2 - 750ml size bottle limit & only on embarkation. Several folks reported being called to the "Naughty Room" when their luggage with excess wine was scanned or inspected. YMMV.:)

I have brought a box of wine on every cruise (last one Infinity from Valparaiso this year) and never been called to the naughty room. I pack it in my regular suitcase, I don't want to lug that extra weight around, plus it would never get on board a plane because of the liquid rules.

I have done this sailing out of Miami, Barcelona, etc. Obviously I don't pack a huge 5 liter box. They come in smaller sizes. A box is also more stable in the cabin, no worries about it falling over and breaking or rolling around in your cabinet.

It makes cruising affordable for me : an inside cabin and a box of wine... I know it deprives Celebrity of revenue, but I can't afford $8 for a glass of wine plus gratuities. I'm the type that has water with my meal at restaurants, and waits until I get home to have my wine. It's how I save money for what I love the most- cruising!

Chris... Thanks for your reply. I think it's a great idea and wasn't trying at all to be judgmental..:).. Just wondered how recently you'd been able to do this. Based on your comments, I might have to give it a try. On our other favorite cruise line, HAL, we sometimes take a case of wine for the room..:D.Each line has their own little perks + quirks & one of HAL's best perks is that they allow unlimited quantity of wine to be brought aboard, whether at embarkation or in any port. Thanks for your tip.

Chris... Thanks for your reply. I think it's a great idea and wasn't trying at all to be judgmental..:).. Just wondered how recently you'd been able to do this. Based on your comments, I might have to give it a try. On our other favorite cruise line, HAL, we sometimes take a case of wine for the room..:D.Each line has their own little perks + quirks & one of HAL's best perks is that they allow unlimited quantity of wine to be brought aboard, whether at embarkation or in any port. Thanks for your tip.

I didn't think you were being judgmental at all : ) Actually just trying to encourage some of those who might feel guilty going the "cheaper" route. I'd love to be able to afford the specialty restaurants, cocktails, etc. I have champagne taste on a beer budget, LOL!

I didn't think you were being judgmental at all : ) Actually just trying to encourage some of those who might feel guilty going the "cheaper" route. I'd love to be able to afford the specialty restaurants, cocktails, etc. I have champagne taste on a beer budget, LOL!

I don't need any encouragement! Heck, I have brought my box-O-wine to a Royal Suite and a Sky Suite, without guilt! :D

Of course I got great deals on both of those cabins.;)

Whoever told you that? They were wrong:eek:.....food has always been complimentary in there. I was on Equinox last month and

there was never a charge for the goodies in Cafe Al Bacio.

I have never paid anything for the food in that venue. And there

are plenty of times I am not drinking something with it either.

So more than once now I've seen people on this thread refer to the simply wonderful chocolates available at this cafe, so am just wondering how they can be obtained. Are they offered only along with a paid specialty coffee or other such beverage, or can you request a few to go with the free pastries they are purported to give out?

So more than once now I've seen people on this thread refer to the simply wonderful chocolates available at this cafe, so am just wondering how they can be obtained. Are they offered only along with a paid specialty coffee or other such beverage, or can you request a few to go with the free pastries they are purported to give out?

They're not purported to give them out, they do give them out. Simply ask for them. As stated by several other posters, there is no charge for the food here. Just for the specialty drinks.

Don't remember who it was...just that the way they said it was like I committed a major blunder and I was embarrased to go back. I'll try again in April and if they say anything I'll tell them all you nice folks told me I could.:D

I have had this happen with RCCL on the Enchantment. I thought the cookies and pastries were free, but was told by the server that they were only free with purchase of a drink. Found out later that was wrong and now I just ask for them without a problem. I assume it was just the server and not the rule. I will be on Celebrity for the first time this Sept. so will have to remember this.

Thanks,

Gwen :)

I brought more than one on our cruise in May

I have brought a box of wine on every cruise (last one Infinity from Valparaiso this year) and never been called to the naughty room. I pack it in my regular suitcase,..........

I brought more than one on our cruise in May

Hi Patricia, What size boxes & were they carry-on or in checked luggage? Thanks.

Hi I have forrgoten where I can get coffee free of charge if you have a spare moment to reply please.

Try room service 24 hours/day for coffee or other goodies without a charge, except maybe a small tip for the hard working server. Also the lido buffet has self serve coffee/tea most of the time.

AceChecker

Hi Patricia, What size boxes & were they carry-on or in checked luggage? Thanks.

3 liters and they were in checked luggage

I will do a 5 liter and have about half missing so that the bladder is thin, not quite as chunky. Also in checked-in baggage. No problem.

Patricia & Muushka, Thanks for your replies! :D

We are cruising February and are booking Aqua Class. Can we eat in the MDH if we choose or are we limited to BLU? Just curious.

We preferred the MDR over Blu, so I called the Captains Club and requested that they change it so we would be eating in the MDR. When we boarded the ship (both times we were in Aquaclass) our dining room "assignment card" showed us in Blu. We went to the MDR immediately and asked that it be changed. No problem at all changing it. And they said we could still eat in Blu at times if we wanted to.

Archived