Have you ever WANTED to cruise alone?

Silent Penguin

Do you ever want to go on a cruise without a companion, family member or friend? It will sound selfish or ungrateful to some, but I really, really want to go on cruise by myself right now! I love, appreciate and enjoy my familly, so when I tell you I fantasize about cruising alone, it's not coming from any feelings of discontent with my situation in life. My periodic inclination to travel alone is not sudden. Growing up in a major city, from a young age, I was at liberty to hop on a public transit bus or train to visit cousins on the other side of town or go downtown to visit an art museum, window shop, or study at the central library. If my friends were available, they came with me, but I was just as happy to go alone. During my college years, I was an exchange student in England and sometimes took long weekend excursions on my own. (I know that's not safe, and I wouldn't let my kids do it if I had any say). Before I got married, I took one last solitary journey across the Atlantic to spend a couple weeks visiting my English friends and rambling around.

I've been happily married for more than 20 years and have enjoyed many excellent vacations-the best of which were cruises- with my husband and children, but nothing's changed in regard to my penchant for wanting to retreat alone. Once in blue moon, I get that chance. Recently though, my growing desire is not just to vacation solo but to cruise solo. Given that my husband would not prevent me from it -he "gets" me, I'm not sure what would keep me from it. Probably, just guilt because I know he likes cruises too. Still, if the price was right...

Does anyone else dream of "recharging their batteries" by cruising alone?

Absolutely I would go on a cruise by myself. I don't know that I will any time soon, but I might at some point.

Of course, I would use my reasonable self-preserving skills to keep my wits about me, so I imagine not a lot of drinking would be had.

I would enjoy the peace and would relax.

I'm running solo next month. Had a friend booked with me last year but 4 weeks prior he couldn't go do to surgery. It was my first solo cruise and I LOVED IT. Sooo that's why I'm solo next month. I'm very social so there's no chance of being bored.:D

Dan

May exd up doing so on my upcoming sailing in June since my cabin mate is having health issues and so far I have not been able to find a replacement.

Really don't want to sail alone but I need this vacation!

:(:eek::(

MARAPRINCE

I think I would do it! I will probably never get the chance to, but I think it sounds great! I would probably only do a short cruise... maybe a long weekend. I love my family. I am going on a cruise in July without our kids and I am planning one with the kids next summer. I can't wait to experience it with them. But a few days of total "me" time is a nice fantasy! :)

I always say that my fantasy is a hotel room by myself. Never thought of cruising by myself, until I saw so many people here do. It would be the guilt that would keep me from doing it too, and not sure if I could handle a long cruise by myself but a 3 - 4 day, sounds good!

I too am the type that likes to shop and explore things by myself. I seems like my family is often not interested in the same things as me.

YES!!

My kids (14 & 12) have been on 15 cruises with me as well as many other land vacations(sometimes my husband comes, sometimes he chooses to stay home). My husband usually goes off by himself for 4-5 days in the fall.

So, this year I decided I'm going to do it - booked a 4 night in October for just me (with a stop at Half Moon Cay!!). Looking forward to relaxing, being on my own schedule, reading as much as I want, etc, etc. Just 4 nights, they won't even have time to miss me!!

Booked the cruise and round-trip air - so, Ecstasy, I'll see you in October!

Do It! IMHO .... if you are thinking about it, and the desire is there....then do it. Life shouldn't be about regrets .... and it's to short not to experience it. I don't know how you feel about 3 - 4 or even 5 day cruises .... they are something to think about.

I have cruised solo before ..... LOVED IT! Mine was a 7 day, NCL Caribbean cruise, 3 ports. When I wanted to be alone....it was great. When I wanted to be around people .... it was great. Dinner time was my only concern. This was before NCL had there freestyle concept which means I had assigned sitting at dinner time. The passengers that I ate with everynight were wonderful.....some nights they were even jealous that I was traveling alone.

Hope this helps.

OceanDreams

I always travel alone - including cruising. Have pretty much travelled the world over the years.

I am very happy with my own company. My job is very people- centred, and I really appreciate holidays and the chance to be alone! :)

I've never cruised solo but wouldn't hesitate to if my sister wasn't interested in going or is no longer around. All of my cruises have been with her and we have two very different styles of cruising.

She doesn't like the beach and ports much so I'm often on my own where that goes. We're on the ship together and always have dinner together, but other than that we just hang out separately but together.

I've never cruised alone although I've thought about it sometimes. But whenever I've traveled alone, I'm always wishing the DH were there with me to share all the fun I'm having. In my life, things are just more fun when the DH is along. He's fun and funny and loving, and just makes it all better. Plus he's the best looking guy around, at least IMHO:D

I never vacationed alone (cruises or land) until my husband passed away. I went for the first time about 10 months after he passed away. I had a good time and have since cruised alot by myself and I now have a great time. I am not a very outgoing type of person but on a cruise it is always easy to meet people. I can do as much as I want or as little as I want when I want. I still cruise many times a year with one of my grandchildren or children but I do enjoy my solo cruises also.

Life is way to short to look back at the whatif's and I should haves.

I wouldn't want to go without my husband. He makes everything more fun and he makes me feel "safe". Although I'm extremely independent, I don't know that I would be comfortable cruising or going to ports alone. I certainly would have to watch my alcohol consumption, lol!

No desire to cruise without DW.

One or two nights on a ship she was not feeling well and went to bed early leaving me out and about by myself.

Sitting by myself in piano bar or other entertainment venues made me feel out of place and rather uncomforable.

So we either go together or do not go.

Archived