Questions for a 1st timer from New York

Menelaus

Thinking of QE2 Nov 27th from New York to Southampton.

1) How long can I safely leave before booking.

2) Can I choose where my cabin is

3) I have always had a porthole/window do you think I would be okay with an inside, if that is all that is left.

4) Live in England but will be in Canada for a few weeks before cruise.

5) Benefits/disadvantages booking from Canada.

6) Difficulties, if any, flying from Toronto to New York.

Thanks

You must mean QM2, not QE2. On the US side of the Atlantic, this fare has already been greatly reduced, some reduction is currently reflected on the Cunard website here, but fare is offered even lower on discount web sites and still includes obc. I would go to my travel agent, give her the information I have learned, and she would get the "deal" for me, although Cunard rep on phone might give it also to me directly. HOWEVER, rules are different on the UK side and and it seems pricing is also. In short,for a US customer, I can see this fare is already discounted about 40% off original price and if it goes lower, Cunard will eliminate the obc, so its a wash, so I would go ahead and book it now. If the sailing starts filling up, Cunard will raise the pricing. So you need to do some research and see what the current discount is available for you. Yes, you can pick your cabin, then state no upgrade. At that time of year, I would stay on a lower deck, 4 or 5 and midship for the best ride in case of rough seas. Cabin category is a matter of personal preference, I am usually in a balcony(inhulls are great that time of year), but have done an inside and it was fine. Cannot help with the rest of your questions. Enjoy the voyage.

Hi Menelaus. In reply to your question "How long can I safely leave before booking?", consider that Thursday Nov 22 is Thanksgiving. No doubt you remember the effect the Thanksgiving Day Parade has on hotel bookings in NY for that extended weekend (which could impact you if you are thinking of staying in NY prior to your voyage) and how the holiday affects air travel for days before and after the holiday weekend - all of which suggests to me you'd be better off making your reservations sooner rather than later. Regards, -S.

Inside cabins are FINE! Nice and cozy and it makes one more likely to step out and enjoy the public areas of the ship.

Yes, you can choose your cabin just don't book a guarantee booking, then you give up the right to pick.

Shouldn't be a problem Toronto to NYC. Unless of course there are delays due to snow (it is November, after all). Flying in the day before, all the hotels should be emptied out by then, the 26th is a workday.

Have a great time! You're in for a treat.

You've gotten good info on booking the crossing. You have 2 logical options for getting from Toronto to New York. Amtrak is listed as 13 1/2 hours and takes a while but is very pleasant. I've never actually done it that direction but have gone New York to Toronto several times. Fare is generally $140 or $171 in a very nice business class, and currently a bit cheaper the day after Thanksgiving. There is no checked baggage on that train (Large racks at the end of each car and red cap service at both stations. You may, however, need to handle your own bags when you cross the boarder.

Flying should not be a problem. Current 1-way price seems to be about $183. Especially consider West Jet, Canada's equivalent of America's Southwest airlines. They take 2 free checked bags while most others charge $25 for the first bag and $35 for the second. Do consider flight arrangements when you make your plans as it is a busy period and fares can vary widely from 1 day to the next. Thanksgiving day itself (Thursday) is usually a good day as that's when people have reached their destinations with busy travel on each side.

If you fly Toronto (or most Canadian airports) to New York, you will clear US Customs and Immigration in Toronto and will effectively arrive in New York as a domestic passenger.

By the way, I have crossed several times in QM2 inside cabins and have enjoyed each one.

Roy

Thank you all so much

KL Sailor QM2 :o Thought I was doing quite well. What are inhulls, also OBC I know what it means but do they always give it.

Thank you all for the heads up re. Thanksgiving

rafinmd interesting customs info.

Would go a few days before so will have to check re, Thanksgiving.

Thank you all so much

KL Sailor QM2 :o Thought I was doing quite well. What are inhulls, also OBC I know what it means but do they always give it.

Thank you all for the heads up re. Thanksgiving

rafinmd interesting customs info.

Would go a few days before so will have to check re, Thanksgiving.

Hi Menelaus, In hull balconies are made from the hull of the ship. We have travelled transatlantic west bound and found them to be very protective. To view the sea from these balconies you must be standing.

Nice to have if the weather is bad, they can still be used. Maybe somebody will put a photo on for you.

Catherine

OBC seems to be currently offered as an incentive to book a fare but will not be offered if the fare falls below about 40% off the original pricing. They generally offer $150 for insides and oceanview, and $300 for balconies. But there are no hard and fast rules - I have seen it less and more - again this applies to the US side of the pond. The QM2 was designed as a true ocean liner which requires a reinforced hull to weather very rough seas and thus the hotel accomodations have to be fitted into the requirements of the hull. To protect balcony cabins on decks 4, 5 and 6 from high seas, the balcony is carved out of the hull and yes, you have to stand to look out into the ocean. You also cannot see any part of the ship (unless you really stick your neck out.) Glass fronted balconies start on deck 8. There were howls of protest over inhull balconies when the ship first entered service 8 years ago, but now many prefer them and it appears Cunard is going to start charging more for midship inhulls in 2013. You can find more informaton on Cunards website. Since my earlier posting today, I called Cunard to inquire on a fare for myself for the 12/15 crossing and was indeed given right away the lowest price that I had found on the net which was about $250 lower than Cunard's website was showing today.

..) I have always had a porthole/window do you think I would be okay with an inside, if that is all that is left...

If you have never before had an inside stateroom you might be disappointed in a QM2 transatlantic crossing if you find yourself in what is, for you, a downgrade.

Many people here book only inside staterooms. They consider them a great value and prefer to spend their money on things other than stateroom ammenities. It depends on your personal budget and preference. (An inside directly above the G32 nightclub is no problem if your lifestyle has you dancing until the staff asks you to leave because they have to close and clean up. :D)

An inside wouldn't work for me. If a view of the sea is important to you it is something to consider before signing on for an inside.

Should you decide to splurge on a balcony, please note that on QM2 the "A4" category on deck 8 has views at least partially blocked by lifeboats.

If you have never before had an inside stateroom you might be disappointed in a QM2 transatlantic crossing if you find yourself in what is, for you, a downgrade.

Many people here book only inside staterooms. They consider them a great value and prefer to spend their money on things other than stateroom ammenities. It depends on your personal budget and preference. (An inside directly above the G32 nightclub is no problem if your lifestyle has you dancing until the staff asks you to leave because they have to close and clean up. :D)

An inside wouldn't work for me. If a view of the sea is important to you it is something to consider before signing on for an inside.

Should you decide to splurge on a balcony, please note that on QM2 the "A4" category on deck 8 has views at least partially blocked by lifeboats.

Thanks again everyone fantastic info. Have downloaded brochure and been on the site and think B category is my choice. Just another check as I am on a netbook, tiny and am slightly colour blind :confused: so some of the colours seem so similar to me. Want midship as low as possible balcony or porthole, think the portholes all at front so that would be a no go. Will get to a TA soon, like to go understanding a bit of what I am getting if at all possible.:cool:

... B category is my choice..

Once you find your preferred B category (sheltered balcony) stateroom, make sure you mark "do not upgrade". If you mark it a guarantee it means that you might possibly be upgraded. What's wrong with that? You could get "upgraded" into the dreaded A4 with a wonderful close up of an orange lifeboat. These might be a nice upgrade from an inside or porthole room but I've yet to meet anyone who wants an A4 over a B.

People here say the "B"s on 5 deck are quieter than those on 6 deck. 7 deck is the promenade deck. Running and jogging is prohibted in the early morning or evening hours but some don't pay attention.

... Want midship as low as possible balcony or porthole...

That would be a B3 sheltered balcony midships on deck 4 of the QM2.

Note there are also B3 staterooms forward and aft of deck 5, so be sure to specify you want a B3 on deck 4 in order to be as low as possible and midships.

Regards,

John.

We had a B3 in hull balcony cabin on deck 4 near elevator B and I plan on getting a very similar stateroom if ever I get to book a transatlantic. I was originally booked in an obstructed view guarantee room (B5) but was happy with an upgrade. The hull protects from wind and makes for a cosy little space where you can be outside, hear and see the sea and sky, but not be bothered too much by the elements. And a nice place for an early morning coffee.

We had a B3 in hull balcony cabin on deck 4 near elevator B and I plan on getting a very similar stateroom if ever I get to book a transatlantic. I was originally booked in an obstructed view guarantee room (B5) but was happy with an upgrade. The hull protects from wind and makes for a cosy little space where you can be outside, hear and see the sea and sky, but not be bothered too much by the elements. And a nice place for an early morning coffee.

In what way is a B5 obstructed?

In what way is a B5 obstructed?

The short answer is that category B5 staterooms on the QM2 are not obstructed.

The confusion stems from the fact that category B5 was originally assigned to the obstructed view balcony staterooms on deck 8. Sometime around 2008, the obstructed view balcony staterooms on deck 8 were reclassified from B5 to A4. But to this day, I can still find a few web sites that insist on describing B5 staterooms on the QM2 as "obstructed view".

Regards,

John.

The confusion stems from the fact that category B5 was originally assigned to the obstructed view balcony staterooms on deck 8. Sometime around 2008, the obstructed view balcony staterooms on deck 8 were reclassified from B5 to A4. But to this day, I can still find a few web sites that insist on describing B5 staterooms on the QM2 as "obstructed view".

Regards,

John.

I've checked my original booking and it was B5 obstructed balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've checked my original booking and it was B5 obstructed balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puhska, there was a long drawn out thread about B5 being obstructed. Many got headaches trying to work how in B5 could possibly be an obstructed view. While on board, I asked in the Voyage Office what would possibly obstruct my view if I booked a B5 category.

But I don't think it matters much because B5 doesn't exist on the new schematics...as near as I can see from the limited information available to North American passengers.

Bottom line: if you booked B5, you won't have an obstructed view on QM2 this year.

Puhska, there was a long drawn out thread about B5 being obstructed. Many got headaches trying to work how in B5 could possibly be an obstructed view. While on board, I asked in the Voyage Office what would possibly obstruct my view if I booked a B5 category.

But I don't think it matters much because B5 doesn't exist on the new schematics...as near as I can see from the limited information available to North American passengers.

Bottom line: if you booked B5, you won't have an obstructed view on QM2 this year.

Well, this is a direct copy from my booking:

(name) 03/03/2012 - 07/03/2012 Cat B5 - Obst/vw Balcony CabinGTY

Looks pretty much like a B5 obstructed to me. ;)

Well, this is a direct copy from my booking:

Looks pretty much like a B5 obstructed to me. ;)

Okey dokie. BTW, what do you think would obstruct your view from a B5 cabin? - Just to clarify, we are talking about QM2, right? A B5 category cabin on QM2.

Okey dokie. BTW, what do you think would obstruct your view from a B5 cabin? - Just to clarify, we are talking about QM2, right? A B5 category cabin on QM2.

Yup. She's lovely! As I was upgraded to a B3 I didn't get to find out but at the time I presumed the lifeboats.

This is on the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=159126987449017

Category B5 - Britannia Premium Balcony (Obstructed View) Decks: Deck 8 Occupancy: Sleeps 2 guests, some sleep 3 Description: BritanniaPremium Balcony staterooms include a king-size bed that may be converted to twin beds, a sitting area with sofa, dual height coffee table that may be used for in-room dining, ample closet space, and bathroom with shower. Thoughtful amenities include robes with matching slippers, ahairdryer, refrigerator, sage, data port, direct dial phone, nightly turndown service and 24 hour room service, and an interactive TV system. Some staterooms are equipped with a sofa bed to accomodate a third guest. These staterooms have views that are obstructed by life boats or other ship structures. Square Footage: 269 sq ft

Yup. She's lovely! As I was upgraded to a B3 I didn't get to find out but at the time I presumed the lifeboats.

This is on the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=159126987449017

Category B5 - Britannia Premium Balcony (Obstructed View) Decks: Deck 8 Occupancy: Sleeps 2 guests, some sleep 3 Description: BritanniaPremium Balcony staterooms include a king-size bed that may be converted to twin beds, a sitting area with sofa, dual height coffee table that may be used for in-room dining, ample closet space, and bathroom with shower. Thoughtful amenities include robes with matching slippers, ahairdryer, refrigerator, sage, data port, direct dial phone, nightly turndown service and 24 hour room service, and an interactive TV system. Some staterooms are equipped with a sofa bed to accomodate a third guest. These staterooms have views that are obstructed by life boats or other ship structures. Square Footage: 269 sq ft

There are no B5 category staterooms on Deck 8.

There are no B5 category staterooms on Deck 8.

I'm just passing on the information I was given in my recent Cunard booking. I wasn't given a deck level in my booking as I hadn't been assigned a room at that point.

Regards,

John.

Thanks for the clarification. I find it pretty poor that Pushka is being given out of date information by her TA 4 years later. The only B5's I can see are four (unobstructed) cabins right at the back of deck 4.

I'm just passing on the information I was given in my recent Cunard booking. I wasn't given a deck level in my booking as I hadn't been assigned a room at that point.

Yes, thanks, I understand. But I was responding to the quote apparently from Facebook about Cat B5 being on Deck 8 (false information). I'm not a fan of Facebook, so I don't know if that quote came from an official Cunard site or not, but I've noted recent quotes from undisclosed Facebook sources that are apocryphal.

BTW I booked a Cat B5 on board a few years ago. It was a fun conversation with the nice Cunard person in the Voyage Office about Cat B5. Anyway, we were very happy with the cabin we were ultimately assigned.

Does anyone know: On the new plan, what happens to Cat B5?

Regards,

Salacia

P.S. Apology to the OP for going off topic

... Does anyone know: On the new plan, what happens to Cat B5? ...

The new deck plans for the QM2 effective from May, 2013 show the four staterooms that are currently category B5 (4.208, 4.212, 4.223, and 4.225) incorporated into category BD - Sheltered Balcony, Forward/Aft, Low Decks 4,5,6.

Regards,

John.

Archived