For Those Who Bring Wine/Liquor Aboard........

sail7seas

While we know liquor is not permitted to be brought aboard HAL ships, we know there are those who violate the rule, and

We also know HAL does permit wine (soda and water) to be brought aboard by guests.......

My question, of those who bring alcohol aboard, how many of you bring more than you actually want to drink and find yourself with left over at the end of the cruise. Or, if you don't want to drag the left over bottles home, do you find you drink more at the end of the cruise to 'use it up'?

Curious.... :o

Yes, that's me. :o

Two bottles of champagne (Spanish cava) went to our wine steward on the last night.

He seemed to appreciate them, as an addition to his nightly cash tip.

PS: In my defense, the overage was largely due to fixed table dinner companions who did not drink. I'd planned on having extra to share....

On a Tahiti cruise we had been given alot of wine and champagne. The last night dancers came aboard and we had met so many nice people on board, we took our wine and such, grabbed a plater of cheese, crackers and fruit from Lido (they were so nice) and had a wonderful time on deck enjoying the show with impromptu party. What great fun.

Dad brought an entire case of bubbly on board for our Hawaii cruise...

...we ended up having lots of Mimosas for the last few breakfasts!

:)

As far as smuggling: Years ago we brought some Chocolate Curacao on board from one of the ports...

...so one last afternoon, we all went to the Lido and gathered some milk and ice and sat on the back deck enjoying the most delicious Chocolate Milk (Hic!) :D

Then there was the cruise aboard MSC some years back where we all decided to gather in the Main Dining Room for Breakfast on disembarcation morning - We all brought our leftover gift champagne, etc and got absolutely smashed on Mimosas. It's a wonder I made it to the Airport...

...but this last time I didnt' even touch the gift champagne - So the folks in the Suite for the following cruise got an extra-special send-off from me.

As far as smuggling: Years ago we brought some Chocolate Curacao on board from one of the ports...

...so one last afternoon, we all went to the Lido and gathered some milk and ice and sat on the back deck enjoying the most delicious Chocolate Milk (Hic!) :D

Then there was the cruise aboard MSC some years back where we all decided to gather in the Main Dining Room for Breakfast on disembarcation morning - We all brought our leftover gift champagne, etc and got absolutely smashed on Mimosas. It's a wonder I made it to the Airport...

...but this last time I didnt' even touch the gift champagne - So the folks in the Suite for the following cruise got an extra-special send-off from me.

Funny....... You sure do enjoy your cruises. ;) GREAT.......

I wonder if the bar department didn't remove the liquor you left behind in the Suite. Do you think the folks who arrived in that suite after you actually found that liquor there? :eek: :D

We didn't drink any of the gin in the rumrunners, and didn't quite finish all the tequila and rum. Just consolidated the rumrunners and brought it back home.

I must be misunderstanding..... :D :eek:

You mixed the rum tequila and gin in one rumrunner?

Whoa.......

On our last Alaska cruise, I had a bottle of wine left over (after purchasing 2 unknown-to-me ones in Juneau, which turned out to NOT be to my taste). So on the last full day, as people were running around organizing and packing and having their cabin doors open, I stood in the hall and said quite loudly "Is anyone driving home from the port? I have a bottle of wine you can have" :D The people in the cabin next to me got it :)

On our last cruise, we left one bottle of wine in the night stand with a note saying "Enjoy!" -- someone eventually found it, I'm sure.

We seldom misjudge the amount of wine we will consume. The Alaska one was definitely because I didn't care for the wine. The last cruise was because my friend and I were sick for part of the cruise.

While we know liquor is not permitted to be brought aboard HAL ships, we know there are those who violate the rule, and

We also know HAL does permit wine (soda and water) to be brought aboard by guests.......

My question, of those who bring alcohol aboard, how many of you bring more than you actually want to drink and find yourself with left over at the end of the cruise. Or, if you don't want to drag the left over bottles home, do you find you drink more at the end of the cruise to 'use it up'?

We haven't cruised yet, but I know us and how we would typically handle this. We don't drink wine at all, but I like to have an occasional cocktail and DH may have 2 or 3 beers or a cocktail or two. and we only drink 2 or 3 times per year, so NOT big drinkers.

However, on the cruise we will probably drink a lot more then usual, probably 2 or 3 each per day. We plan to order a bottle of vodka and some beer for our cabin to enjoy on the balcony but it's very unlikely we'll drink the whole bottle. So if we make friends by the end of the cruise, we'll invite them to our cabin (we're booked in an aft suite) and have them help finish off the bottle, or we'll give it to the steward. With as little as we drink throughout the year, we won't want to have to lug it from ship to hotel to airport and home.

Along these lines, I have a question. I usually drink vodka and cranberry juice. Can I get the cranberry juice from the lido or room service? Does it cost extra or should I lug a bottle on with me? We're flying in from California and I really don't want to mess with toting juice around.

I usually bring on several splits of champagne and put them in the fridge, then on sea days, we call room service and have mimosa's on the balcony (ahhhh, I'm on vacation!!)

DH drinks beer, so we buy that onboard, but I'm a wine drinker. I try to plan for what I consume, but we also plan to share a bottle with our tablemates, so we bring extra. Most times, we drink what we brought and go home empty handed.....but we also know that we'll be having the DOD and BOGOs at happy hour, so I try not to over pack!

Something that is slightly OT, last cruise we purchased the $100 drink cards....ok, several of them :eek:, but had money left on them when we left. We thought about putting them in the safe for the next guest, but thought the room steward would be required to look there and return things, so we left it in the Bible in the drawer. I've heard of others doing this, so when you board, check the Bible!!! :D:D

I'll add one more slightly OT comment.....we are cruising on RCI for the first time next month so I've been perusing their boards. There are BUNCHES of threads talking about how to smuggle on wine/alcohol! RCI's policy is NOTHING - NADA - ZILCH! There are threads about going to 'the naughty room' where the cruise line has determined you have something you're not supposed to and confiscate it. (for shame!!)

I'm sure much of that has to do with revenue, but I certainly appreciate HAL's policy of being allowed to freely bring on some wine (I don't even mind the corkage fee). It just turned me a little sour on RCI, that's all.

CaroleSS, we are from Canada, and are unfamiliar with many of the wines that HAL offers. That's why we so enjoy their wine policy -- we are able to purchase wines that we know we enjoy (okay, other than in Juneau, and that bottle in Guaymas MX :D :eek: ), and have them with dinner or in the cabin. I think the corkage fee is reasonable for both us and HAL.

We haven't cruised yet, but I know us and how we would typically handle this. We don't drink wine at all, but I like to have an occasional cocktail and DH may have 2 or 3 beers or a cocktail or two. and we only drink 2 or 3 times per year, so NOT big drinkers.

However, on the cruise we will probably drink a lot more then usual, probably 2 or 3 each per day. We plan to order a bottle of vodka and some beer for our cabin to enjoy on the balcony but it's very unlikely we'll drink the whole bottle. So if we make friends by the end of the cruise, we'll invite them to our cabin (we're booked in an aft suite) and have them help finish off the bottle, or we'll give it to the steward. With as little as we drink throughout the year, we won't want to have to lug it from ship to hotel to airport and home.

Along these lines, I have a question. I usually drink vodka and cranberry juice. Can I get the cranberry juice from the lido or room service? Does it cost extra or should I lug a bottle on with me? We're flying in from California and I really don't want to mess with toting juice around.

There is cranberry juice in Lido at breakfast. If you happen to be in a Suite, Neptune Lounge has cranberry juice throughout the afternoon.

If you ordered it room service from a bar, you would be charged for it. If you get it at Lido, there is no charge.

I usually bring on several splits of champagne and put them in the fridge, then on sea days, we call room service and have mimosa's on the balcony (ahhhh, I'm on vacation!!)

DH drinks beer, so we buy that onboard, but I'm a wine drinker. I try to plan for what I consume, but we also plan to share a bottle with our tablemates, so we bring extra. Most times, we drink what we brought and go home empty handed.....but we also know that we'll be having the DOD and BOGOs at happy hour, so I try not to over pack!

Something that is slightly OT, last cruise we purchased the $100 drink cards....ok, several of them :eek:, but had money left on them when we left. We thought about putting them in the safe for the next guest, but thought the room steward would be required to look there and return things, so we left it in the Bible in the drawer. I've heard of others doing this, so when you board, check the Bible!!! :D:D

I Always check the Bible in our cabins but have never found anything left there. But I'll keep trying..... :) :D

I Always check the Bible in our cabins but have never found anything left there. But I'll keep trying..... :) :D

At some time, you'll be right after us and find a little somthing to start you vacation off with a smile!

But, wouldn't it be great if everyone would leave a little something - even if it was a short note saying "have a great vacation". But I guess if you EXPECT there to be something then it kinda removes the extra thill of finding something! :p

(am I TOO much of a dreamer/hopeless romantic??)

I'll add one more slightly OT comment.....we are cruising on RCI for the first time next month so I've been perusing their boards. There are BUNCHES of threads talking about how to smuggle on wine/alcohol! RCI's policy is NOTHING - NADA - ZILCH! There are threads about going to 'the naughty room' where the cruise line has determined you have something you're not supposed to and confiscate it. (for shame!!)

I'm sure much of that has to do with revenue, but I certainly appreciate HAL's policy of being allowed to freely bring on some wine (I don't even mind the corkage fee). It just turned me a little sour on RCI, that's all.

Not only that, but even in a suite that has a bar, you can't order a bottle of Gin, Vodka, etc. and mixers. Why have a bar in the suite? (Last RCI suite was a couple of years ago, not sure if it has changed)

On our last cruise, a TA out of Venice, we boarded with two cases of Brunello that we purchased during our pre cruise travels and purchased several more bottles of wines at our different ports. Any left over wine (at least a case) was put in our checked baggage and it flew home with us.

Doubt it -- I have seen the cabin stewards remove champagne bottles from the cabins of those who have left the ship. The cabin next to us on one cruise had a couple of unopened bottles and the cabin steward took them to the concierge.

The way HAL designed the new Beverage cards -- they can not be carried over to the next cruise -- only for those people who have actually booked a Collectors Cruise.

we have always been able to consume all the wine etc etc that we bring on board, and we still will have a nice size bar tab at the end of the cruise.

Not only that, but even in a suite that has a bar, you can't order a bottle of Gin, Vodka, etc. and mixers. Why have a bar in the suite? (Last RCI suite was a couple of years ago, not sure if it has changed)

We are always in either the PS or an SA -- the mini bar is worthless to us.

But who told you that you can not order a bottle for the cabin?

We have always been able to order a bottle for the cabin. We either have the concierge call a bar or we call room service ourselves.

I have posted the list here many times.

There is cranberry juice in Lido at breakfast. If you happen to be in a Suite, Neptune Lounge has cranberry juice throughout the afternoon.

If you ordered it room service from a bar, you would be charged for it. If you get it at Lido, there is no charge.

Thanks:) I'll be sure to grab some in the Lido or Neptune before heading back to our cabin. No sense paying for something I can get free!

Archived