Member comments feedback and reviews

rafinmd

I am going to ask this question and it applies to everyone reading this. If you have a great experience with any company/business how often do you immediately go and write a rave review or write the company to thank them? But if one little thing goes wrong are you more likely to make a complaint? Of course!!. Same goes here, thousands of people cruise weekly and have the time of their lives but we so seldom hear about it because we go on with our lives. You will always find someone complaining about something at any given time.

Like Sheila said above you can be a person that the Glass is Half Full or a Person that the Glass is Half Empty.

I think this (partial) post from the Zuiderdam thread certainly merits an answer from me and likely some discussion. I think I’ll run long here and divide things into 3 posts (i) followup feedback to company (ii) general comments, and (iii) member reviews. I hope somewhere in these posts I’ll say something that makes some sense.

I tend actually to be quite a lazy person who probably cruises far more than I should and when I return home I am busy taking care of things that came up while I was away and planning for the future. Sorry to say I have never written the company back to thank them or to complain. If the awesome things that have happened to me on cruises have not inspired me to write a note of thanks I can’t see it happening in the future. Maybe someday I’ll rise to the occasion but don’t bet on it.

If something goes wrong I try to deal with it on the spot rather than complain later. Usually working with the staff helps with the problem and provides an outlet for my resentment and I have never sent a followup letter after a cruise. The closest I have come is with Lindblad and Silversea where after less than stellar experiences and afterwards was flooded with their junk mail. Silversea never responded but did abruptly drop me from their mailing list. I still get probably 5 Lindblad mailings a week. When I come home from a 6-week vacation I come pretty close to filling up a grocery bag with their junk.

The one thing I am conscientious about is filling out end of cruise surveys. That is my preferred way of providing feedback.

Roy

I tend to be a glass half full person, and try to live by the addage “if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything. That’s not to say I’ll ignore what I don’t like (and if you’ve read enough of my posts you can even figure out one of my surprising choices as a least favorite cruise line) but an example of the way I like to treat negative comments comes from my Queen Victoria World Cruise segment thread:

“At the early seating I found the restaurant less elegant than expected. This may have been an impression clouded by my recent time on the Crystal Symphony, but I thought I remembered the Britannia Dining room on QM2 being much more elegant. In any case, the food was excellent.”

I like to have the information there but not dwell on it. In the above example I did have some questions about the elegance of the restaurant so the negatives are there but not the centerpiece. If I really don’t like something I will try to make a noise but not a rukus and will react primarily by going elsewhere next time.

I do believe that some cruise lines are a better fit for some cruisers than others but to stay in business a cruise line will have to have something to offer somebody and try to respect them all.

Among major cruise lines my main stays are Crystal, HAL, and Cunard, and RCI has a niche for me in a couple of aspects. While I consider it primarily a mass market line which caters more to kids and it’s not really my cup of tea it does do well for short getaways and I love having a decent ship that I can get to with a $1.60 city bus ride from the end of my block. These 4 are the lines I’m returning to this year and Celebrity will be the year’s experiment.

Roy

In over 70 HAL cruises, we have never written a negative letter to HAL headquarters, however, we have written letters of praise. Admittedly, it has been a while since we sent any letters but thanks for the reminder.

That is not to say we haven't had a few things we weren't pleased about but we commented while aboard and we most assuredly have written much praise in after cruise surveys.

We have written comments on things we think could use improvement but far more of our comments are in praise.

I can't say that customer service is so wonderful in my everyday life that I feel it worthy of a letter or phone call of praise. I find many sales people today are perfunctory and bordering on impolite. Some seem to do you a favor to 'take your money' when making a purchase. If I were to have an amazing experience in a department store, Yes..... I would go out of my way to commend that salesperson. Doesn't happen much these days. IMO

I can't remember the last time a cashier said Thank you to me when giving me my sales receipt and/or change. It's usually, 'Here ya go'.... What's the matter with saying thank you to a customer? I pay attention to that and almost none of them do that anymore. It matters to me.

And, yes, OF COURSE, there are exceptions. Not all of anything or anyone is perfect nor unacceptably below expectation. There are always a few 'stars' and a few who really need more training.

Since joining Cruise Critic I have probably been on about 17 cruises where I could have done a member review and have actually done 4. There have been several reasons for the ones I have missed. In looking at the reviews I have done I’ve discovered that all the cruises I have reviewed have been excellent but I haven’t reviewed all my excellent cruises.

A review requires a fairly extensive outlay of effort, and I find also that it involves some reliving of the cruise. I can relive a great cruise in my mind without the effort of writing everything down, and generally I have no real interest in reliving a lackluster cruise. I would also not want to do a review where something random went wrong that would not likely represent the realistic expectation of someone else booking the same ship. For a whole lot of factors it looks like I’ve done reviews on less than a quarter of my eligible cruises.

Looking at reviews on the Zaandam and the Zuiderdam (never sailed her myself) I’ve noticed a few patterns. You cannot do a review on Cruise Critic unless you are a registered member. A search for a member name often will come up blank, which I’m pretty sure means the person is a registered member but has never posted. Looking at 4 or 5 favorable and unfavorable reviews I found that none of the unfavorable Zuiderdam reviewers had ever posted and all but one of the 5 favorable reviewers had at least a few posts. One unfavorable reviewer had also given a bad review of the Celebrity Eclipse, but otherwise those unfavorable reviews were their only input to Cruise Critic.

The pattern was a little less pronounced but similar for the Zaandam. 4 of 5 unfavorable reviewers have never posted anything else, but 3 of 4 favorable reviewers had posted. In that aspect, I wonder if a review says more about the reviewer than the ship.

I think the star ratings of member reviews are particularly unreliable. I’ll illustrate that in a couple of ways. Here are 2 recent reviews of the Zaandam which both were given 2 stars:

rafinmd:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=98026

lexdisic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=97711

Anyone who compares those reviews has to wonder what does a 4-star member review really mean (as do I even after giving it) .

My second illustration is the reviews I’ve done:

Wind Surf 11/09 5 star

Crystal Symphony 2/10 5+ star

Queen Victoria 3/10 5 star

Zaandam 2/12 4 star

I really felt that 4 star was right when I did my review, and you can bet I would not if I had titled the review “Disappointed”, it would have been at most 2. All of those reviews were given after much thought and with the best of intentions, but you would I felt QV a better ship than the Zaandam, but today I would never agree. Why the discrepancy? Every reviewer’s yardstick is different, and they are all subject to change.

What happened? Although I didn’t follow through with a member review (probably because I went on to QM2 right afterwards and was either on a ship or trying to catch up at home) I sailed the Prinsendam last summer. My thinking today would be:

Crystal Symphony, no doubt 5+

Prinsendam was AWESOME, but it was not Crystal. I wouldn’t have given it 5+ but it really set a new standard for 5 star.

Zaandam was a Great cruise but not in the league of the Elegant Explorer and I felt (and stand by) the assessment that 4 was an appropriate rating for a great cruise.

If I was rating the others today, Wind Surf was not quit up to the Prinsendam but does not really compete directly. As a great but different experience I would probably round it from about a 4.9 to a 5. QV was probably a bit below the Zaandam. Given greater detail I’d probably say 4.4 for Zaandam and 4.2 for QV but they would both round to 4 today.

In looking at member reviews I give a lot more weight to the writings than to the stars. I’ll also look at a reviewer’s profile and other reviews to get a sense of context for the review. A single review with no frame of reference is almost meaningless to me.

I hope I haven’t left everybody completely bored while I rant.

Roy

We do complete the end of the cruise survey forms. I seriously doubt if the ships have time to read them all -- especially on the larger ships.

One time we never even got a survery at the end of the cruise -- didn't even think about it until it was too late.

When we get home there is always a form from our travel agent asking us about our cruise -- and we complete that as well.

In over 70 HAL cruises, we have never written a negative letter to HAL headquarters, however, we have written letters of praise. Admittedly, it has been a while since we sent any letters but thanks for the reminder.

That is not to say we haven't had a few things we weren't pleased about but we commented while aboard and we most assuredly have written much praise in after cruise surveys.

We have entered comments on things we think could use improvement but far more of our comments are in praise.

We sure would like to have cruises that were always as perfect as yours.

We have had to write two letters to HAL.

Never did we have to write to Cunard, Princess, NCL or even for our 1 cruise on RCI.

Interesting thread to start Roy - I will indeed complain (if necessary) but normally with the goal to either get a problem resolved or to help the company improve.

I have written letters of thanks to companies about their employees. Good people are rare and I believe in recognizing them and showing appreciation.

When someone does something 'special' or what I consider superb service then yes, I like to see them get recognized.

So, as it pertains to cruises - We always do our surveys BUT if there have been really superb people, I write a note to the Hotel Manager, and, when I get home if there is something I want to bring to HAL's attention - yes, I send them an email letter. (not just bad). I don't write after every curise but there are times it is a must IMO. Last one was a commendation for the PG staff and manger of the PG along with other very impressive staff members on the Prinsendam.:D

<snip>

Among major cruise lines my main stays are Crystal, HAL, and Cunard, and RCI has a niche for me in a couple of aspects. While I consider it primarily a mass market line which caters more to kids and it’s not really my cup of tea it does do well for short getaways and I love having a decent ship that I can get to with a $1.60 city bus ride from the end of my block. These 4 are the lines I’m returning to this year and Celebrity will be the year’s experiment.

Roy

To be able to board a ship with a $1.60 city bus ride from my home...... I could put up with some amount of 'disappointments'. :) I would 'settle for less' seeing I put far less effort into it. :D

We do complete the end of the cruise survey forms. I seriously doubt if the ships have time to read them all -- especially on the larger ships.

One time we never even got a survery at the end of the cruise -- didn't even think about it until it was too late.

When we get home there is always a form from our travel agent asking us about our cruise -- and we complete that as well.

I have walked into Hotel Manager's Office on a turnaround day and have found him and others actively reading the end of cruise surveys from the last week. I KNOW they are read. I KNOW they are forwarded to Seattle.

Every time I have had a chat of longer than a few minutes with a higher-up on board he or she has told me that they read Cruisecritic, that it is their business to read Cruisecritic, "of course!". The last Captain of Westerdam is a prime example. He checks it every day (while he's working, anyway). It was the same with Captain John Scott five years ago. They knew things that only followers of CC would know. So I know the message gets across in the most immediate way possible. For example, in the last 48 hours much has been said about Zuiderdam. I'm sure that has more immediacy and power than a letter to Seattle, especially with people saying "hmm, I'm rethinking my plans....".

OP, I have to ask: which is your surprising choice as least favorite cruise line?

I always complete end of cruise surveys and found out from our cabin stewards that these are a key part of their income. I also work in the customer service industry and you have no idea what one point can do to a survey! We tip our stewards very well but know that it is key for them to move up within the company. Your suite stateroom attendants aren't just assigned suites, they earn them based on your responses on the surveys. As for working hard, I have never seen a group work harder to ensure customer satisfaction!

Every time I have had a chat of longer than a few minutes with a higher-up on board he or she has told me that they read Cruisecritic, that it is their business to read Cruisecritic, "of course!". The last Captain of Westerdam is a prime example. He checks it every day (while he's working, anyway). It was the same with Captain John Scott five years ago. They knew things that only followers of CC would know. So I know the message gets across in the most immediate way possible. For example, in the last 48 hours much has been said about Zuiderdam. I'm sure that has more immediacy and power than a letter to Seattle, especially with people saying "hmm, I'm rethinking my plans....".

OP, I have to ask: which is your surprising choice as least favorite cruise line?

I agree that many Officers on the ships and some HAL people in Seattle Office read CC. I think knowing that makes it mandatory we always be fair. Sure, if we encounter something that displeases us for whatever reason, we should be commenting. BUT we should always make effort to have the situation corrected while aboard, have it addressed in some way...... give them the chance to make it right. It isn't 'fair' IMO to suffer in silence and then run here with complaints. The goal is to have the best cruise possible, isn't it? To wait until we are off the ship and then make a big deal about something when it's too late to do anything about it, is inappropriate. IMO

Sometimes, you just have to learn to make lemonade out of lemons.

Yes, that's a familiar saying but.....

even if you make the lemonade, it is still sour.

Oh I absolutely agree that you should take matters into your own hands, in a constructive way, and not wait to post here. First of all- what good would it do you? None. Every officer I have ever discussed CC with (from the NCL people at the M&Gs to Alexis and Henk Keijer, etc etc) have ALL said "PLEASE, if you see anything wrong, give us a chance to make it right while we can.". Only fair! It makes no sense to passively aggressively endure some offending broken chair in the cabin, then dash home to write about it. But I think most posters have spoken of trying to get things resolved on board.....

Thanks for all the feedback.

Here are a few comments I’ve made at times. From my first post on this thread:

...I have never sent a followup letter after a cruise. The closest I have come is with Lindblad and Silversea where after less than stellar experiences and afterwards was flooded with their junk mail.

Roy

From my 2010 cruise on Queen Victoria posted from Muscat:

I have been to Muscat and Dubai previously, on the Silver Whisper. Ironically the Silver Whisper is on the adjoining dock today. I think of the two, I prefer the ship I have booked this time.

From my Zaandam thread:

I enjoyed the Zaandam but some things have not changed. My favorite cruise line hands down is still Crystal, and my favorite non-Crystal ship, hands down, is still the Prinsendam. Neither of those has changed. My recent HAL experience is quite limited so ranking the ships I have sailed is fairly easy. I think the most important factor in the shipboard experience so my rating of ships will be fairly close to my rating of the crew. This is a general idea of how I see crews of ships I have sailed recently:

Crystal: 10

Prinsendam 9.8

Wind Surf:9.5

Zaandam:9

Cunard: about 7.5-8.5

Rotterdam: About 8

RCI: About 5

Silversea (ouch): About 2

Roy

My reaction to Silversea was they were as good as Crystal in the extras but mediocre or less on the basics.

I got started off on the wrong foot with them when they advertised “Dine when you wish” and I found out after getting on board that the dining room didn’t open until 7:30 and it was generally 8:00 before a full table was assembled and a full order was taken. My reaction to that was heightened when the CD often came on the PA with “For those of you who wish to dine EARLY, the dining room will be opening at 7:30"[her emphasis].

We went out for 4 days at sea with a 2-day supply of laundry detergent.

They sent my documents out very late. We had an overnight stop in Safaga Egypt with little to do at the port except an overnight excursion to the Valley of the Kings. My documents arrived AFTER the deadline to register for the excursion

I’m an early bird and often like to get a cup of coffee and take it back to my room. Once when I tried that a steward basically told me if I wanted coffee in my room to go back to my room and call room service. I actually tried that once and after 10 minutes a steward arrived with coffee and went to set it up, raising the end table to dining table level. In doing so, the table top came completely off the pedistal and the table was useless for about 2 days.

My reaction to Crystal and to a lesser extent with Prinsendam is that the moment I step onboard one of their ships I feel valued and respected as an individual person. On a number of larger ships I get the feeling at times of being an interchangeable widgit. On the Silver Whisper everybody from the CD to the Guest Relations Staff and many senior officers addresed me by name but I ended up feeling like a widgit with a name. My individual wishes did not seem to matter.

Sometimes, you just have to learn to make lemonade out of lemons.

To play a bit of "devil's advocate", my opinion is that it is not my job to make the lemonade out of lemons when I'm on vacation. I know that sometimes things happen but they are the experts at the whole cruising experience (after all, they are the cruiseline, not me) and I shouldn't have to be making the lemonade...they should have done it all enough that the lemonade should have already been make.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These 4 are the lines I’m returning to this year and Celebrity will be the year’s experiment.

Roy

Are you saying that Celebrity is returning to Baltimore? (I knew about Carnival & RCI - what is the other "brand?")

These 4 are the lines I’m returning to this year and Celebrity will be the year’s experiment.

Roy

Never mind my previous question = I just reread "I'm returning to" - as opposed to "returning to (Baltimore)."

Never mind my previous question = I just reread "I'm returning to" - as opposed to "returning to (Baltimore)."

I think I'd be in heaven if HAL would send an S-class to Baltimore once in a while.

Roy

We appreciate honest feedback on cruise ships. We don't appreciate exageration nor do we appreciate those who apparently feel HAL ships are perfect and all criticism is unfair.

If we have an issue, we always deal with it on board. Fortunately, we have never had any real issues on any cruise-they have all been very good.

What we really do appreciate is a 'heads up' on specific ships. Some of the issues could be issues like persistent HVAC and plumbing probems in specific areas/cabins of a ship-problems that remain unaddressed month after month.

We reviewed the pictures of the condition of the Osterdam on another post. It leads one to wonder if this is what we see, what about areas of the ship that we do not see...has the cruise line cut down on mtce in those areas as well? We are hoping to get on the Noordam this year. Had those pictures been of the Noordam we probably would not book that cruise. Not because of the worn funiture or ripped lounge pads per sae but rather because for us it is a general indication of the ship's condition and maitenance.

Ripped and tattered lounge covers are not a big deal for us. But on the other hand they are not a big deal for the cruise line to either replace or stow somewhere out of the public's view. I have to wonder how many ships officers or managers have passed by those tattered lounge pads without either bothering to notice or if they noticied directing staff to remove them immediately??? That attitude and inaction speaks volumes to me.

I do not fill out comment cards, I do not write letters of praise, I do not write letters of complaint. I let staff know of their opportunities for improvement onboard and pay any compliments while onboard.

Happy and unexpected ending. Sailed on the Statendam, a favorite, up the inland passage from Vancouver to someplace in Alaska. Big wind and rain. Lucky me. I was in an S suite on the top deck of cabins. Evidently the rubber gasket under the door to the verandah was worn and lots and lots of water came in a soaked the carpet. Called the front desk to alert them, but told them to come next AM since I was tired.

Next morning the Neptune Lounge people came in and began the process of drying the carpet which was so wet that it probably didn't get dry until a Red Sea voyage (just my joke).

I still loved the trip and did not complain. No other S suites were available anyway. I enjoyed the next 10 days and left my usual 5 lbs. heavier.

On return my TA called and I relayed out experiences, good an bad. She called HAL who gave us a $500 credit on our next voyage.

There is no one answer or is there. Don't let something that is not life threatening spoil your cruise. After all no one else really cares and if HAL is approached with courtesy, something good many happen. They know RCL is right on their tail.

Archived