Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

What is the minimum amount of time one should allow for Suomenlinna Fortress. I know to allow 30 minutes for ferry to and fro.

Our plan is to arrive in West Harbor Hernesaaken pier. Get into town to take the tram2 and tram3 route and enjoy Rock Church, Sibellius Monument, Olympic Stadium and walk around Market Square area with the old churches, etc. Do we have enough time to head over to Suomenlinna???

Figure on the ground from 730a-330p.

What does everyone think? Too much in too little time?

Thank you!!!

What is the minimum amount of time one should allow for Suomenlinna Fortress. I know to allow 30 minutes for ferry to and fro.

If you have a good walking speed, don't stop, don't visit any museums, and you keep track on the ferry time table and where you are going then it can be done in an hour but that's perhaps a bit stressful. I notice that I did it a few years ago, taking pictures on the way, in 1h20min without problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Thank you for offering Helsinki advice, your help is very much appreciated!

We will be stopping in Helsinki as part of our upcoming cruise. We are scheduled to be in port from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm which means we will probably get off the boat around 7:30 and I would like to be back on the boat by 3:00. In the course of my research, I would like to see the Suomenlinna Fortress, National Museum of Finland, Senate Square / Cathedral and Market Square.

We would like to begin our day at Suomenlinna Fortress and work our way back to the ship. Can you please suggest the order in which we should view the other locations, and how we might get there using public transportation/ferry’s? Also, is there anything on the list that we should pass on or is there anything that is not on the list that is a must see location? Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.

Jason and Millie

Hello,

Thank you for offering Helsinki advice, your help is very much appreciated!

We will be stopping in Helsinki as part of our upcoming cruise. We are scheduled to be in port from 7:00 am to 4:00 pm which means we will probably get off the boat around 7:30 and I would like to be back on the boat by 3:00. In the course of my research, I would like to see the Suomenlinna Fortress, National Museum of Finland, Senate Square / Cathedral and Market Square.

We would like to begin our day at Suomenlinna Fortress and work our way back to the ship. Can you please suggest the order in which we should view the other locations, and how we might get there using public transportation/ferry’s? Also, is there anything on the list that we should pass on or is there anything that is not on the list that is a must see location? Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide.

Jason and Millie

Suomenlinna is accessed by a ferry from Market Square. Senate Square and the cathedral are one block from Market Square. The National Museum of Finland is located on Mannerheimintie on the other side of the downtown core. From Senate Square trams 4 and 7 take you directly to the museum in less than ten minutes: http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/?showsearchformsaved=hide&from_in=senaatintori&from=&via_in=&via=&via_time=0&to_in=kansallismuseo&to=&hour=12&minute=45&timetype=departure&date_cb=on&day=8&month=7&year=2014&cmargin=3&wspeed=70&method=1&stz=0&mc1=0&mc2=0&mc3=0&mc4=0&mc5=0&mc6=0&mc0=1&nroutes=3&gotoHash=

If you want to add something to your list, the Temppeliaukio Church (Church of the Rock) is visited by very many tourist. It is located a couple of blocks from the National Museum. As to anything to pass, do not go to any place just because it is on a list or because others go. Do not go to the museum if it does not seem interesting and skip Suomenlinna if it is raining heavily as it is mainly outdoor areas.

To give you better directions we would need to know which berth you will docking (http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/expected_cruise_ships) as some berths are right by Market Square and others do require transportation to downtown.

Suomenlinna is accessed by a ferry from Market Square. Senate Square and the cathedral are one block from Market Square. The National Museum of Finland is located on Mannerheimintie on the other side of the downtown core. From Senate Square trams 4 and 7 take you directly to the museum in less than ten minutes: http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/?showsearchformsaved=hide&from_in=senaatintori&from=&via_in=&via=&via_time=0&to_in=kansallismuseo&to=&hour=12&minute=45&timetype=departure&date_cb=on&day=8&month=7&year=2014&cmargin=3&wspeed=70&method=1&stz=0&mc1=0&mc2=0&mc3=0&mc4=0&mc5=0&mc6=0&mc0=1&nroutes=3&gotoHash=

If you want to add something to your list, the Temppeliaukio Church (Church of the Rock) is visited by very many tourist. It is located a couple of blocks from the National Museum. As to anything to pass, do not go to any place just because it is on a list or because others go. Do not go to the museum if it does not seem interesting and skip Suomenlinna if it is raining heavily as it is mainly outdoor areas.

To give you better directions we would need to know which berth you will docking (http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/expected_cruise_ships) as some berths are right by Market Square and others do require transportation to downtown.

Wow...thank you for this wonderful information it is extremely helpful! According to the port records we will be arriving at West harbour and Hernesaari port. I love the distance guide between locations as well.

We are on the Royal Caribbean Legend of the Seas and the link to the various quays in Helsinki does not list our ship. Can anyone help specific to where we will dock??

Legend of the Seas, 29 July:

West Harbour, quay LMA 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Its listed about halfway down on this page under the headline "West Harbour and Hernesaari"

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/expected_cruise_ships

The quay is #4 on this map:

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/international_cruise

Edited by Ultima Thule

Docking in West Harbor I would think the ship may have some transport arranged. If they do not, is it the 15 or 15A bus that will take us to the central market. We want to be able to get to Market Square and from there take the ferry to Suomenlinna. Am I correct that from the dock it is too far to walk.

Thanks.

Docking in West Harbor I would think the ship may have some transport arranged. If they do not, is it the 15 or 15A bus that will take us to the central market. We want to be able to get to Market Square and from there take the ferry to Suomenlinna.

There should be shuttle service from the ship to downtown, to the area named "Main shopping area" on this map:

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/international_cruise

From where the bus stops it should be about a third of a mile along the Esplanade Park to the Market.

If you don't want to use the shuttle the alternative would be tram 9 that will take you to the railway station, half a mile from the Market Square. The tram starts from the ferry terminal located approx. at the last "R" in the text "WEST HARBOUR" on the map:

Am I correct that from the dock it is too far to walk.

Its some 2.2 miles in total from the quay to the Market.

Edited by Ultima Thule

If you don't want to use the shuttle the alternative would be tram 9 that will take you to the railway station, half a mile from the Market Square. The tram starts from the ferry terminal located approx. at the last "R" in the text "WEST HARBOUR" on the map.

There is a green line painted on the pavement from the cruise terminal at LMA to the tram stop. The walk is about 600 meters or 1/3 miles.

The walk from to Market Square is a bit shorter from the next stop after the railway station. The stop is called Kaisaniemi. The route in journey planner. That route does however include stairs and the route from the railway station stop (Rautatieasema) is flatter.

You can also transfer from the tram 9 to tram 2 along the way at either Simonkatu or Rautatieasema. Tram 2 then goes to the very edge of Market Square (Kauppatori). The route in journey planner.

• 2 weeks later...

We have only a short day in Helsinki (7:00-4:00) and we would like to visit the fortress as well as take the tram tour and visit the three churches. Is this doable? How long is the entire tram loop if we start and return at Market Square without getting off? (We will probably get off at the Church of the Rock and walk around for a bit before getting another tram back, but it's helpful to know the total time just for the tram.) What time in the morning do the ferries out to the fortress start to run? If we go to the fortress first (since the churches don't open until later), what time would we need to get back to Market Square to do the tram tour and see the 3 churches without feeling rushed in getting back to the ship by 3:30? Thanks!

We have only a short day in Helsinki (7:00-4:00) and we would like to visit the fortress as well as take the tram tour and visit the three churches. Is this doable? How long is the entire tram loop if we start and return at Market Square without getting off? (We will probably get off at the Church of the Rock and walk around for a bit before getting another tram back, but it's helpful to know the total time just for the tram.) What time in the morning do the ferries out to the fortress start to run? If we go to the fortress first (since the churches don't open until later), what time would we need to get back to Market Square to do the tram tour and see the 3 churches without feeling rushed in getting back to the ship by 3:30? Thanks!

The first ferry to the fortress starts as early as 6.20 a.m. (its not just a museum, there are people living on the islands).

The entire tram loop (tram #2 + #3) takes about an hour. The tram trip from the Market Square to the rock church (tram #2, exit at "kauppakorkeakoulut") is according to the time table about 11 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We will be arriving on Wed Aug 27th at West Harbor LMA at 7am till 4pm. We are planning to visit the Suomenlinna, Rock Church, Market Square, Helsinki Cathedral & Senate Square.

As you explained in previous post Suomenlinna is by ferry at Market Square. So the question is what's the best route to link all these together.

Should we start by taking Tram #9 to Market Square, take the shuttle bus to the major shopping point or take the HOHO bus (not sure if they start at West Terminal)?

Thanks for all your help.

I'm sorry - I've read conflicting information as to how to arrive at Market Square from Hernesaari. Rick Steves suggested bus 14, but others have suggested bus 16. Do you know the best way to arrive via public transport? We also want to see the Esplanade so if it is easier to get off near there, and walk to market square we'd be happy to do that. Thanks so much.

Hi,

We will be arriving on Wed Aug 27th at West Harbor LMA at 7am till 4pm. We are planning to visit the Suomenlinna, Rock Church, Market Square, Helsinki Cathedral & Senate Square.

As you explained in previous post Suomenlinna is by ferry at Market Square. So the question is what's the best route to link all these together.

Should we start by taking Tram #9 to Market Square, take the shuttle bus to the major shopping point or take the HOHO bus (not sure if they start at West Terminal)?

Thanks for all your help.

As the Market Square and Senate Square are one block apart and the Suomenlinna ferry departs from Market Square, the Rock Church is the only one of your destinations that is not in close proximity. As the church opens at 10am you probably do not want to make that your first destination.

The LMA berth and West Terminal are not the same thing. LMA is the cruise berth and the West Terminal is the terminal building serving berths LJ3-LJ6 that are mainly used by ferries and cruiseferries to Tallinn and St. Petersburg. It takes about 5 minutes to walk from the cruise berth to the West Terminal. There is a green line painted on the ground to follow. Tram #9 has its terminus right in front of the West Terminal. Tram 9 does not go to Market Square directly. You either have to transfer to line #2 or walk about 10 minutes. (map of line 9) Tram #2 does run by Market Square as well as the Rock Church (map).

The shuttle will likely drop you off at the western end of the Esplanade (map). That is about two blocks south of the Railway Station where #9 would get you.

The HOHOs will come to the ship at LMA not the West Terminal.

Which one is the best depends on what you prioritize. Public transport is least expensive and the HOHOs most expensive. Trams #2 and #9 run every 10 minutes, #9 every 8 minutes during rush hours. The HOHOs say on their websites that they run every 30 minutes. So depending on how often your ship shuttle runs, that or the tram will be the fastest one. However your ship shuttle will not get you to the Rock Church so you would either have to walk or take the tram there.

I'm sorry - I've read conflicting information as to how to arrive at Market Square from Hernesaari. Rick Steves suggested bus 14, but others have suggested bus 16. Do you know the best way to arrive via public transport? We also want to see the Esplanade so if it is easier to get off near there, and walk to market square we'd be happy to do that. Thanks so much.

The #16 suggestion is outdated as bus lines in central Helsinki have been altered in the past few years. Nowadays #14 is the only bus runing to Hernesaari and does not go to Market Square (map of line 14). However it is easy to transfer from #14 to tram #1A or #3 to get to Market Square. See the route suggestion in Journey Planner. You would take #14 from Hernesaari to stop Tehtaanpuisto and take the tram from stop Eiran sairaala across the intersection. (Streetview, bus stop front right and the tram stop across the intersection on the same side of the street. Note that 1A only runs weekday rush hours. #3 runs all day. On the way from Eiran sairaala to Kauppatori (Market Square) #3 terminate and immediately continue on as #2.

If you want to get to the other end of the Esplanade you could just stay onboard #14 until stop Bulevardi and walk 3 blocks along Bulevardi to the western end of the Esplanade (route map)

• 2 months later...

Sinppu,

My husband and I will be in Helsinki on May 30,2015. We arrive on the Celebrity Silhouette at 10 am and depart at 5 pm. My husband and I are in our mid 70's and in good healthy but prefer doing some walking and some driving type tours and you suggest a tour or taxi type tour that is approximately 5 hours long and what we should include in our tour. This is our first and last trip to Helsinki and we certainly want to see as much as possible. So rather then trying to find things on our own we prefer a small tour--any suggestions would be appreciated

We will also be in Tallinn, Estonia on June 2nd,2015 from 8 am till 5 pm and again would appreciate suggestions on tours with pick up and drop off at the ship that are dependable and reasonable in price. Are there private taxi's that do such tours or tour groups. One's that combine walking and driving.

We don't want tours that do just drive by's to sights we would like to get out and spend time seeing.

Thanks

JoAnn

Phoenix Arizona

jmccurdy1@cox.net

My husband and I will be in Helsinki on May 30,2015. This is our first and last trip to Helsinki and we certainly want to see as much as possible. So rather then trying to find things on our own we prefer a small tour--any suggestions would be appreciated. We don't want tours that do just drive by's to sights we would like to get out and spend time seeing.

There are the hop on - hop off bus tours of course:

Green line:

http://www.stromma.fi/en/helsinki/sightseeing/sightseeing-by-bus/hop-on-hop-off/

Red line:

http://www.citytour.fi/articles/441/

Both lines will adapt their routes to i where the cruise ships dock that day.

We will also be in Tallinn, Estonia on June 2nd,2015 from 8 am till 5 pm and again would appreciate suggestions on tours with pick up and drop off at the ship that are dependable and reasonable in price. Are there private taxi's that do such tours or tour groups. One's that combine walking and driving.

The problem with Tallinn is that old town is a labyrinth of narrow streets and not very car friendly. A recommended way to do is taking a taxi to the Alexander Nevski cathedral at the top of the hill and then walk down. Its about 400 yards to the townhall and another 400 yards to the old town border where it should possible to get a taxi back to the ship.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Appreciate the info on the Hop on Hop Off Bus-we will try one

Question:

My husband 78 has some difficult walking long distances without stopping and resting a little

We arrive West Harbor in Helsinki Sat May 30th at 10 am and would like to go straight to

the Rock Church---what best way to go? Can we hire a Taxi for 4 hours? What would cost?

Should we do the taxi to the Rock Church and take our time walking down (rather then up)

Is there a walking map to use if we decide to walk down at our own pace without getting lost

and still seeing as much as possible?

If there are areas to stop get a coffee or something every 1/2 mile we will do fine

Would it be a scenic walk or should we get a tram down?

Appreciate the info on the Hop on Hop Off Bus-we will try one

Question:

My husband 78 has some difficult walking long distances without stopping and resting a little

We arrive West Harbor in Helsinki Sat May 30th at 10 am and would like to go straight to

the Rock Church---what best way to go? Can we hire a Taxi for 4 hours? What would cost?

Should we do the taxi to the Rock Church and take our time walking down (rather then up)

Is there a walking map to use if we decide to walk down at our own pace without getting lost

and still seeing as much as possible?

If there are areas to stop get a coffee or something every 1/2 mile we will do fine

Would it be a scenic walk or should we get a tram down?

First I want to make sure you are not mixing up Helsinki and Tallinn as you are referring to walking up and down. The Rock Church is on a small hill, but the hill is small compared to the distance between downtown core and the church and the ship. In Tallinn you can really take a taxi to the top of the hill and walk down through the old town back towards the ship.

I see that on May 30th at that time you will be arriving on Celebrity Silhouette and you will berth at LMA. It is on the Jätkäsaari side of West Harbor and the immediate area around the ship is not interesting. Jätkäsaari used to be a cargo port until 2010 and is now turning into a new part of the city. Closest public transport stops from LMA require you to walk about 600 meters on pretty much flat asphalt with nothing of interest along the walk. As your husband has difficulty walking, I would conserve energy here and take either a HoHo or a taxi. Both are available at the berth.

As for getting straight to the Rock Church, taxi is likely the fastest. HoHos go there relatively soon after LMA and the red CityTour buses use a significantly shorter route along this section than the green Open Top Tours (see Ultima Thule's post #646 for the maps). Current prices for HoHos seem to be 27€ for green and 25€ for red. A taxi from LMA to the Rock Church should cost about 11€. Do not take a taxi for four hours unless you can pre-arrage a set fee. Taxis in Finland charge 44.60€ per hour if they are waiting for you, stuck in traffic, driving very slowly etc. that makes the hourly charge to be higher than the per km charge. So taking a taxi for four hours in downtown Helsinki would end up costing about 200€.

I am not aware of any particular walking map, but ships typically give out maps and nearly everyone speaks English well enough to give you directions. I made a Google map to show the walking distances to trams from LMA as well as a few points of interest: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zJxEiO0V-p2w.kDOxdhvRXwu8

If you do not want to walk, I would recommend taking either the HoHo or taking a taxi from the berth to the Rock Church and then using public transport to get around and either take a taxi back to the ship or if you have strength left walk from the tram 9 terminus at Länsiterminaali back to your ship.

We will also be on the same sailing as jmmurcdy and want to ride Celebrity's shuttle into town, the take the tram which does a loop, see the Rock Church and then come back to the Market Square area for the rest of the day. The Green and Red buses are different from the tram, isn't it? How and where do I buy the tram tickets, does it need to be done in advance, can I pay by credit card? Thanks:)