Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

I am confused. Will be in Helsinki end May. Is Hakaniemi Market Hall or Hietalahti market hall closed? Which is open for local snack?

Both Hietalahti and Hakaniemi are open Mon-Fri 8am-6pm and Sat 8am - 4pm (5pm for Hietalahti). The one under renovation is the old market hall next to Market Square. That one is scheduled to re-open on June 9th.

I think I saw that Tram 3T will be different during some construction this summer. Will it still be comparatively easy to ride the 2-3T loops to get a feel for the area? Can you get on 2 and just stay on it, or do you have to transfer to 3T at some point?

Edited by Big Al B.

I think I saw that Tram 3T will be different during some construction this summer. Will it still be comparatively easy to ride the 2-3T loops to get a feel for the area? Can you get on 2 and just stay on it, or do you have to transfer to 3T at some point?

The line that was a year ago 3T is nowadays 2. What makes it more confusing if you are reading old material that before 2009 3T and 3B were the two directions of the figure-8 loop. In 2009 the route was slightly altered and the line "was split" in 3T and 3B halves of the figure-8 3T being the S and 3B the oposite. Then last summer as this turned out to be confusing, they finally renumbered 3T as 2 and 3B as 3. You can still ride the whole figure-8 onboard the same tram, but at two points along the figure-8 the tram will change from 2 to 3 and 3 to 2. At the northern "terminus" the tram will usually stop for 5-10 minutes.

There is some major road construction work next to Olympia Terminal (the southern "terminus" of 2 and 3). Tram lines 1, 2 and 3 are diverted May 5th -June 1st. The loop will be broken during that time. A replacement bus service 3X will be runing on the section not served by trams. A map and description of the diversions can be found on the transport authority's website: https://www.hsl.fi/en/traffic-bulletins/2014/tram-routes-1-2-and-3-diverted-5-may-1-june-4705

There is some major road construction work next to Olympia Terminal (the southern "terminus" of 2 and 3). Tram lines 1, 2 and 3 are diverted May 5th -June 1st. The loop will be broken during that time. A replacement bus service 3X will be runing on the section not served by trams. A map and description of the diversions can be found on the transport authority's website: https://www.hsl.fi/en/traffic-bulletins/2014/tram-routes-1-2-and-3-diverted-5-may-1-june-4705

Hi, thanks to the great team of 'Finnish locals' for all your good advice I have been able to plan my time in Helsinki. :)However, I am still a bit confused re transport. :confused: Must be old age creeping in!

We will be in Helsinki 14th May docking at berth LHC. My plan is to use Bus #14 to hook up with Tram #3 , hop off at the stop nearest Church of the Rock, rejoin Tram #3, ride around to Senate Square and then walk to the waterfront market. After looking at the maps (difficult to enlarge) and the routes I still have a few questions:-

1. The name of the stop where Bus #14 meets up with Tram #3.

2. The name of the stop nearest Church of the Rock.

3. With the road works is it still possible to ride from that stop to Senate Square. It appears to me from reading the above web site that it is still possible although the route is shortened. You only need to take the replacement bus if you wish to travel the whole route. Have I got this right.

5. To return to the ship which tram do I take from the Market Square to hook up with Bus #14.

6. Which ticket would be best to buy for the above plan. Can it be bought on the bus

Any help you can give to clear my confusion would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

Hi, thanks to the great team of 'Finnish locals' for all your good advice I have been able to plan my time in Helsinki. :)However, I am still a bit confused re transport. :confused: Must be old age creeping in!

We will be in Helsinki 14th May docking at berth LHC. My plan is to use Bus #14 to hook up with Tram #3 , hop off at the stop nearest Church of the Rock, rejoin Tram #3, ride around to Senate Square and then walk to the waterfront market. After looking at the maps (difficult to enlarge) and the routes I still have a few questions:-

1. The name of the stop where Bus #14 meets up with Tram #3.

2. The name of the stop nearest Church of the Rock.

3. With the road works is it still possible to ride from that stop to Senate Square. It appears to me from reading the above web site that it is still possible although the route is shortened. You only need to take the replacement bus if you wish to travel the whole route. Have I got this right.

5. To return to the ship which tram do I take from the Market Square to hook up with Bus #14.

6. Which ticket would be best to buy for the above plan. Can it be bought on the bus

Any help you can give to clear my confusion would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Anni

First to make understanding of my reply easier I'll point out that it is tram #2 that goes by the Chruch of the Rock.

HSL has a pretty good route map here: http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/

Put in the line number, click search, and click the appropriate search result. The diversions are visible as separate search results there. If you click a stop on the map you also get a Google Streetview link there.

1. You do not want to do this if you are going to Chruch of the Rock as bus #14 will take you directly there. The stop closest to the Church of the Rock is called "Kauppakorkeakoulut"

2. For tram #2 two stops are pretty much the same distance from the church depending which way you walk. These are "Sammonkatu" and "Kauppakorkeakoulut". Note that the tram stop "Kauppakorkeakoulut" is around the corner from the one you leave bus #14. The southbound stop for #14 is the same as for the tram.

3. Yes and no. The short way with tram #2 is possible, but the long way will require either a bit of walking or taking the replacement bus. Tram #2 terminates at Market Square during the road works. The route from the Church of the Rock to Senate Square is the same as usually. If you wanted to take the norther part of #2 and #3 and still end up at Senaatintori without taking the replacement bus, I would recommend transfering to #1 or #7A at Hakaniemi.

5. You would catch #2 to "Kamppi(M)" and catch #14 from "Kamppi(M)" which would be on the opposite side of the street and a bit further than the tram stop. Another option would be to take the replacement bus 3 X to "Eiran sairaala" and get #14 from "Tehtaanpuisto" across the intersection.

6. I would go with the 1 day ticket. It cost 8 euros and can be bought from the bus driver. Bus drivers accept cash only and banknotes greater than the 20 may be refused (as well as payments made with more than 50 separate coins). You can check the prices for other tickets at https://www.hsl.fi/en/tickets-and-fares

Edited by Jonza
More on point 3

We're doing a Tram Tour with a guide from Happy Tours. I have done searches on these boards of Happy Tours in Helsinki and haven't found a thing. If anyone knows anything about this company, please let me know. For now, our selection is based on Tripadvisor reviews. I suppose we could have followed one of Rick Steves tram tours or tried to do this on our own, but figured that for 40 more euros per person, having a local guide for six people for four hours makes sense.

I just received maps and info from the Helsinki Tourist board so I hope you can help me revise my plan for the day.

I plan to take bus 14 from the terminal.

I want to go to the Rock Church, Sibelius monument and Cafe Regalia. Senate Square and Church area and Suomenlinna Island.

Can you give me an idea of transportation given the disruption to the tram service.

Thank you so much. Karen

First to make understanding of my reply easier I'll point out that it is tram #2 that goes by the Chruch of the Rock.

HSL has a pretty good route map here: http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/

Put in the line number, click search, and click the appropriate search result. The diversions are visible as separate search results there. If you click a stop on the map you also get a Google Streetview link there.

1. You do not want to do this if you are going to Chruch of the Rock as bus #14 will take you directly there. The stop closest to the Church of the Rock is called "Kauppakorkeakoulut"

2. For tram #2 two stops are pretty much the same distance from the church depending which way you walk. These are "Sammonkatu" and "Kauppakorkeakoulut". Note that the tram stop "Kauppakorkeakoulut" is around the corner from the one you leave bus #14. The southbound stop for #14 is the same as for the tram.

3. Yes. Tram #2 terminates at Market Square during the road works. The route from the Church of the Rock to Senate Square is the same.

5. You would catch #2 to "Kamppi(M)" and catch #14 from "Kamppi(M)" which would be on the opposite side of the street and a bit further than the tram stop. Another option would be to take the replacement bus 3 X to "Eiran sairaala" and get #14 from "Tehtaanpuisto" across the intersection.

6. I would go with the 1 day ticket. It cost 8 euros and can be bought from the bus driver. Bus drivers accept cash only and banknotes greater than the 20 may be refused (as well as payments made with more than 50 separate coins). You can check the prices for other tickets at https://www.hsl.fi/en/tickets-and-fares

Hi Jonza,

Thanks very much for such a quick and informative reply. I would like to think that my replies re Germany are as helpful.

Our previous day will have been an intensive 12 hours in St. Petersburg so I intend to ride the tram as a way of seeing a bit of Helsinki without too much physical effort. Good to know about bus #14 and Church of the Rock. I am told that either Senate Square or the waterfront is a good place to relax with a coffee so that is exactly how I will finish the day (weather permitting). I will go with the one day ticket as suggested.

Thanks again,

Anni

I just received maps and info from the Helsinki Tourist board so I hope you can help me revise my plan for the day.

I want to go to the Rock Church, Sibelius monument and Cafe Regalia. Senate Square and Church area and Suomenlinna Island.

Can you give me an idea of transportation given the disruption to the tram service.

Thank you so much. Karen

I just got thinking, your the experts is there something else we should try to see?

Thanks again for all the help. Karen

Thank you so much. Karen

Bus #14 will get you directly to Chruch of the Rock (stop Kauppakorkeakoulut) or the Sibelius Monument (stop Töölön kirjasto). Route maps can be found as detailed on post #581. That post also contains the info on returning to Hernesaari from the Market Square area.

Would you possibly mean Cafe Regatta which is close to the Sibelius Monument as I was unable to find anything called Cafe Regalia in Helsinki?

In addition to #14, buses #18 and #39 run on an identical route between the Sibelius Monument area and Kamppi, where you would transfer to tram #2 to get to the Senate Square area.

Senate Square and Market Square are located one block from each other. Ferries to Suomenlinna depart from Market Square.

I do not think that the tram diversions will cause any problems the only trip that would be in any way affected is between the ship and Market Square where the 3X is serving the whole line segment you would be taking. So you would just take a bus instead of a tram.

I just got thinking, your the experts is there something else we should try to see?

Thanks again for all the help. Karen

You are the very best expert on what seems interesting to you and how much you want to do.

The Church of the Rock is pretty unique. Suomenlinna is nice if you do not mind walking on cobblestones and the weather is good. The Suomenlinna fortress is significantly older than downtown Helsinki. The area around Senate Square, Market Square, and the Esplanade is nice for strolling around. The Sibelius Monument is in every tour, but I would say that it is enjoyable if the weather is good and the walk in the park around it is nice, but is a waste of your time if you traveled there in the rain just to see it because it was on the list and not because you really wanted to see it.

My tip would be to question the sightseeing list, go to places that you might find interesting and leave time for just strolling around.

Bus #14 will get you directly to Chruch of the Rock (stop Kauppakorkeakoulut) or the Sibelius Monument (stop Töölön kirjasto). Route maps can be found as detailed on post #581. That post also contains the info on returning to Hernesaari from the Market Square area.

Would you possibly mean Cafe Regatta which is close to the Sibelius Monument as I was unable to find anything called Cafe Regalia in Helsinki?

In addition to #14, buses #18 and #39 run on an identical route between the Sibelius Monument area and Kamppi, where you would transfer to tram #2 to get to the Senate Square area.

Senate Square and Market Square are located one block from each other. Ferries to Suomenlinna depart from Market Square.

I do not think that the tram diversions will cause any problems the only trip that would be in any way affected is between the ship and Market Square where the 3X is serving the whole line segment you would be taking. So you would just take a bus instead of a tram.

You are the very best expert on what seems interesting to you and how much you want to do.

The Church of the Rock is pretty unique. Suomenlinna is nice if you do not mind walking on cobblestones and the weather is good. The Suomenlinna fortress is significantly older than downtown Helsinki. The area around Senate Square, Market Square, and the Esplanade is nice for strolling around. The Sibelius Monument is in every tour, but I would say that it is enjoyable if the weather is good and the walk in the park around it is nice, but is a waste of your time if you traveled there in the rain just to see it because it was on the list and not because you really wanted to see it.

My tip would be to question the sightseeing list, go to places that you might find interesting and leave time for just strolling around.

Thanks so much. Yes its Cafe Regalia.

One thing that I would love to know is something maybe off the beaten path like a market or area of neat houses etc. Thanks Karen

We're doing a Tram Tour with a guide from Happy Tours. I have done searches on these boards of Happy Tours in Helsinki and haven't found a thing. If anyone knows anything about this company, please let me know. For now, our selection is based on Tripadvisor reviews. I suppose we could have followed one of Rick Steves tram tours or tried to do this on our own, but figured that for 40 more euros per person, having a local guide for six people for four hours makes sense.

Hi,

We are on this cruise in Aug. and I have also been in touch with Happy tours to do their Tram and Walking tour . We feel the way you do about having a local guide meet us at the ship for the 4 hour tour. Can you please write to me when you get back to advise me if you had any suggestions for us based on your tour. Also who you guide was and if we should request that person. Thanks so much for your help and have a great cruise. (Did you book anything in Oslo, Gotenberg of Tallinn?)

Rosalie

Rk713@optonline.net

Hi,

We are on this cruise in Aug. and I have also been in touch with Happy tours to do their Tram and Walking tour . We feel the way you do about having a local guide meet us at the ship for the 4 hour tour. Can you please write to me when you get back to advise me if you had any suggestions for us based on your tour. Also who you guide was and if we should request that person. Thanks so much for your help and have a great cruise. (Did you book anything in Oslo, Gotenberg of Tallinn?)

Rosalie

Rk713@optonline.net

Sure, I'll leave a review by the end of July. Anssi is my guide. We will be buying our own transportation pass and spending 90 minutes at Suomenlinna before the tram tour. I think you just see more and get a good local feel with a guide and riding the tram and walking. He hits all of the spots mentioned on this thread and more. I just don't understand how a search on Cruise Critic comes up empty for a tour and company so popular on Tripadvisor.

Edited by hubofhockey

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to reading your review when you get back. Please also let me know how your visit to Suomenlinna was . Sounds like a great day. Enjoy.

Rosalie

Thanks so much. Yes its Cafe Regalia.

One thing that I would love to know is something maybe off the beaten path like a market or area of neat houses etc. Thanks Karen

Can you recommend any other cafes with character and or nice views?

Do you know how much a taxi would be from the Market Square to Hernassi Terminal?

Thanks again Karen

This will be our second trip to Helsinki and we're thinking of spending the day biking around the city. From what we've read (and what we remember) it seems to be a very bike friendly city.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. If you think it would be a good way to see the city would you also be able to recommend a bike shop near where the ships dock? Any route maps would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to reading your review when you get back. Please also let me know how your visit to Suomenlinna was . Sounds like a great day. Enjoy.

Rosalie

Hopefully, you'll have a great day as well. I'll post the review here as unsolicited reviews are not allowed on the ports of call boards. Just look out for it.

My one concern was getting lunch since the tour is 11 am to 3 pm. Anssi explained that people get lunch on his tours at Hietalahti Market Hall. I guess that Market Hall is pretty popular and you can get Finnish crafts there as well.

I am wondering if we can walk from the Market area of Helsinki to the port instead of going all the way back to Kampi to catch the bus? How long would the walk be? Or would there be another bus that gets us close with a short walk?

If that is to Hernesaari then its almost 3 km to quay LHB and 3.6 km to quay LHC.

Edited by Ultima Thule

If I understand post #579 correctly, by the 14th of July when we visit, the construction affecting Trams 2&3 should be completed so there will be no bus involved and we can do the full loop on the same tram?

Also, we wanted to see the Swimming Stadium. If I read the map correctly, Tram 2 takes us near it. Do we get off at the same stop as the Olympic Stadium (looks like Toolon halli) or is there another stop closer?

Thanks for all your very helpful information here:)

Also, we wanted to see the Swimming Stadium. If I read the map correctly, Tram 2 takes us near it. Do we get off at the same stop as the Olympic Stadium (looks like Toolon halli) or is there another stop closer?

You can get off at Ooppera and walk across parking or Töölön halli and circle the Olympic stadium counter clock wise or take longer tram trip to Auroran Sairaala or Eläintarha and approach from north along Hammarskjöld road trough the park. Its will be some uphill walking regardless of what way you take.

But to be honest, the Swimming Stadium is extremely well hidden. You'll not be able to see anything from the outside.

You can get off at Ooppera and walk across parking or Töölön halli and circle the Olympic stadium counter clock wise or take longer tram trip to Auroran Sairaala or Eläintarha and approach from north along Hammarskjöld road trough the park. Its will be some uphill walking regardless of what way you take.

But to be honest, the Swimming Stadium is extremely well hidden. You'll not be able to see anything from the outside.

Thank you. For the most part my wife wants to go to a sauna in the short time we are there and it seems all are closed on Monday except this one. I thought this may be the easiest as we could take this tram loop, hop off and let her go, then hop back on and continue seeing what we want.

Can you recommend any other cafes with character and or nice views?

Do you know how much a taxi would be from the Market Square to Hernassi Terminal?

Thanks again Karen

Tripadvisor has pretty good lists of Helsinki cafes with reviews. Unless you are a coffee enthusiast, any place that looks nice and is at convenient location for you would be good.

Taxis in Finland are currently priced as follows:

Starting fee: 5,90 Mon-Fri 6am-8pm and Sat 6am-4pm; 9,00 Night, Sundays and Holidays

Then priced per kilometer:

1-2 persons: 1,52 e/km

3-4 persons: 1,83 e/km

5-6 persons: 1,98 e/km

7+ persons: 2,13 e/km

Waiting or slow driving, standing in traffic, waiting at red lights etc is 0,72 e per minute. This is charged for portions of the trip where the per kilometer price would be lower than the time based one.

For one to two people on a weekday from Kauppatori to Hernesaari the price would be 12 euros if no waiting charge is applied. Depending on traffic actual charge would likely be a couple of euros more.

I am wondering if we can walk from the Market area of Helsinki to the port instead of going all the way back to Kampi to catch the bus? How long would the walk be? Or would there be another bus that gets us close with a short walk?

Thanks again, Karen

As Ultima replied the whole way is about 3 km. The 3X bus and after June 1st the 2/3 tram will take you about two thirds of the way. After that you can either walk the remainder or transfer to #14.

This will be our second trip to Helsinki and we're thinking of spending the day biking around the city. From what we've read (and what we remember) it seems to be a very bike friendly city.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. If you think it would be a good way to see the city would you also be able to recommend a bike shop near where the ships dock? Any route maps would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.

Whether Helsinki is bike friendly or not really depends on what you compare it with. We are nowhere near Copenhagen yet but improving.

Bike rental is not a big business here yet. Google Helsinki bike rental. I was able to find at least the Green Bike at Bulevardi and the Bicyclean with locations in Katajanokka and Ruoholahti. I am not weather any of these or other companies would have bikes available at the cruise berths.

You can search for routes and look at available routes using the journey planner: http://pk.reittiopas.fi/en/ To see all separated bike paths click on "Outdoor map" under the routes section.

If I understand post #579 correctly, by the 14th of July when we visit, the construction affecting Trams 2&3 should be completed so there will be no bus involved and we can do the full loop on the same tram?

Yes. The diversion route is scheduled to be in use until June 1st.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll try to add some details to the already comprehensive answer by Ultima.

I have no first hand experience in a while on non-Shengen arrivals, but the wait times for passport control should not be long. If you hold a biometric passport of a EU or EEA country or Switzerland or Japan you can use the automatic passport control where the queues will be even shorter. Customs is just a walk through unless you get stopped.

Around the time of your arrival the 615 runs every 10 minutes and the Finnair city bus runs every 20 minutes (every 15 min June-September). Tram rides from the central railway station to the harbors are about 10 minutes. 9 runs every 8 minutes during rush hour and every 10 after that. 4 and 4T together run every 6 minutes during rush hour and every 8-10 minutes later on. For the Katajanokka harbor you can very well take the 4 as well as the 4T as the walk from the closest stop (Vyökatu) on 4 is only about 150 meters to the terminal.

Tallink-Silja requires you to check in at least 30 minutes before departure and Viking line requires you to check in at least 10 minutes before departure. As Ultima said, it is impossible to make it to the Silja to Stockholm and risky to try for the Viking departure half an hour later (though 50 min later for last check in). From June 12th until August 31st Viking Line has a later departure time for the Stockholm ferry. It departs at 6.15 pm which would be doable.

For Tallinn you have the options of Viking Line at 9.30pm and Tallink departures at 6.30pm (slower cruiseferry), 7.30pm and 10.30pm. And starting in April you have also the option of the slightly faster and smaller Linda Line catamaran at 7pm.

Post trip feedback:

Silja departs at 5 and Viking at 5:30 (last check-in 4:30 for Silja and 5:15 for Viking)

My plane landed at 3:25. Was at 615 bus stop at 3:55 (in spite of stupid long walk on outer perimeter of airport terminal). Was at Railway station at 4:30. Could have mad Viking but played it safe and instead took Europa to Talinn . Was at their checkin (using tram 9) at 4:50 and had to wait until 5:15 when they start boarding.

Next day, going from West harbor to Viking terminal was pain (took almost an hour with no convenient transfer point between tram 9 and tram 4/4T)

Walking from tram 4 was bit inconvenient with luggage. Should have waited 7 more minutes for tram 4T. Thought of switching to tram 2 and then to 4T to avoid rolling bags for quarter mile or so but trams were crowded and hence avoided double transfer.

Thanks for all the info. It was very helpful.

(BTW, tram 2/3 are not doing figure 8 loop as there is construction going on near Olympia harbor)

Bike rental is not a big business here yet. Google Helsinki bike rental. I was able to find at least the Green Bike at Bulevardi and the Bicyclean with locations in Katajanokka and Ruoholahti. I am not weather any of these or other companies would have bikes available at the cruise berths.

You can search for routes and look at available routes using the journey planner: http://pk.reittiopas.fi/en/ To see all separated bike paths click on "Outdoor map" under the routes section.

Thank you Jonza. Looking forward to my return visit to Helsinki.