Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

I've discovered Princess does offer a shuttle to "Erottaja (City Center)". I wonder if that's the same as Erottaja which is a Tram stop near the Theater. That would be great.

Yes, Erottaja (meaning "the divider") is a short street in downtown at corner Boulevard, Esplanade, Mannerheim road. Many of the shuttle buses stop there. To reach tram 3 stop you go downhill to the corner, turn left and continue a bit on the Boulevard.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=60.165981,24.943691&spn=0.002421,0.008256&sll=60.165981,24.943691&sspn=0.002431,0.008256&t=m&layer=c&cbll=60.166195,24.943667&panoid=1KJAiPnhl56wDwvwoUmb6Q&cbp=12,322.24,,0,-0.7&z=18

Correct! Note that you shall change to opposite platform at the railway station and also note trams will change numbers sometimes this summer (3B will become 3 and 3T will become 2)

Thanks but I'm a bit confused... Where exactly do the Princess shuttles drop you off? Is it by the Theater? If so, it looks like I can catch the 3B tram at either the Erottaja Tram stop on Bulevardi or up on Mannerheimintie at the Ylioppilastalo stop. I'm not sure where you are trying to direct me (perhaps your Google street view link is off - what position is that supposed to be? Where the busses drop you off?).

Edited by VirtualRain

Thanks for the info - I understand that the shuttle and the travel card are different - hope I can follow your directions to buy the card

There is a small building in front of the Suomenlinna ferry that sells 24 hr transit passes for 8€ as well as ferry tickets alone, 5€. It's located at the waterfront in the middle of the market place. There is a person there that will accept American type credit cards with signature.

Thanks but I'm a bit confused... Where exactly do the Princess shuttles drop you off? Is it by the Theater? If so, it looks like I can catch the 3B tram at either the Erottaja Tram stop on Bulevardi or up on Mannerheimintie at the Ylioppilastalo stop. I'm not sure where you are trying to direct me (perhaps your Google street view link is off - what position is that supposed to be? Where the busses drop you off?).

The usual place for shuttle buses to stop is 350 feet south of the Swedish Theater on Erottajankatu near the corner to Bulevardi. If you go to Google street view you'll find a yellow bus sign just outside of "Helsinki Day Spa". If your information says "Erottaja", thats the place the bus will stop. Its a short, 250 feet walk to the tram stop on Bulevardi.

An alternative shuttle bus stop is on Lönnrotinkatu, 260 feet west of the Theater. From there its a 400 feet walk to the Ylioppilastalo stop.

Thanks for the info - I understand that the shuttle and the travel card are different - hope I can follow your directions to buy the card

The main service point is on the "balcony" surrounding the metro station under the rail road station. It says HKL / HSL and is to the right of the flower shop. There are many ways to reach it but I think I might just confuse you if I start to go through the options. Just take the escalator in the copper/glass house to the left (east side) of the railway station as I said earlier and you cannot miss it.

The concourse (hope thats the correct expression even if its under the street) look like this even if the flower shop and service point are to the right of this picture and not visible.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3ARautatientorin_metroaseman_tasanne.jpg

Edited by Ultima Thule

• 5 months later...

Will be in Helsinki on cruise stop on midsummers day in 2014.

Can you provide info as to what sites will be open (cathedral, uspenski, rock church, national museum, ateneum gallery, etc)?

Will any stores or restaurants on esplanade be open?

Is public transport a problem on this day?

Will there be any festivities in city?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

We will be in Helsinki early June 2014 off the Eclipse. I will have a travel scooter on the ship and wonder if I would be able to do any sightseeing near the ship using my scooter. Is there accessible public transportation near the ship. Are there accessible Ho- Ho busses in Helsinki?

We are docked in Helsinki from 8-17. (would like to be back at the ship no later than 16)

Would it be easy to go to Porvoo? or the town of Fiskars.

How do I get to these towns?

Would it be easy by bus, train or by taxi/private tour??

We will be in Helsinki early June 2014 off the Eclipse. I will have a travel scooter on the ship and wonder if I would be able to do any sightseeing near the ship using my scooter. Is there accessible public transportation near the ship. Are there accessible Ho- Ho busses in Helsinki?
The Eclipse will be berthing in the West Harbor which is about 2 kilometers away from the downtown sights. Sidewalks in general should be pretty wheelchair friendly. The Jätkäsaari side of the harbor is served by tram at the West Terminal. Nearly all trams in Helsinki are completely or partially Low floor and have their floors level with the platform. The Hernesaari side of the Harbor is served by bus. All buses on those lines are low floor ones and do feature ramps for wheelchairs. I was unable to find any concrete info about he hop-on-hop-off buses, but it seems that they do have one wheelchair space per bus.

We are docked in Helsinki from 8-17. (would like to be back at the ship no later than 16)

Would it be easy to go to Porvoo? or the town of Fiskars.

How do I get to these towns?

Would it be easy by bus, train or by taxi/private tour??

By car Fiskars is about 1h15min away and Porvoo about 45min. Porvoo is significantly larger town and thus much better connected to Helsinki by public transportation. Several buses per hour run between downtown Helsinki and Porvoo. The travel time is about one hour and current prices are 12-15 euros one way for adults. To get to Fiskars you would need to connect through Karjaa and the travel time one way would be nearly two hours. Many cruise lines and private tour operators do offer tours to Porvoo.

I would say that Fiskars is only doable if you find a tour. Porvoo is easily reachable by public transport.

By car Fiskars is about 1h15min away and Porvoo about 45min. Porvoo is significantly larger town and thus much better connected to Helsinki by public transportation. Several buses per hour run between downtown Helsinki and Porvoo. The travel time is about one hour and current prices are 12-15 euros one way for adults. To get to Fiskars you would need to connect through Karjaa and the travel time one way would be nearly two hours. Many cruise lines and private tour operators do offer tours to Porvoo.

I would say that Fiskars is only doable if you find a tour. Porvoo is easily reachable by public transport.

Thank you for your advice. I have been trying to find tour operators but so far I've found nothing. Would you know of any??

Thank you for your advice. I have been trying to find tour operators but so far I've found nothing. Would you know of any??

I did some searching and for Fiskars I did find outdated info on a tour by Carnival and one at Tours by Locals. For Porvoo there are a lot more options. It seems that your cruise line, SPB, TJ, and many others do offer tours to Porvoo often combined with some Helsinki highlights.

I did some searching and for Fiskars I did find outdated info on a tour by Carnival and one at Tours by Locals. For Porvoo there are a lot more options. It seems that your cruise line, SPB, TJ, and many others do offer tours to Porvoo often combined with some Helsinki highlights.

Excellent:) Thank you so much. I will look into SPB and TJ.

• 2 weeks later...

We will landin in Helsinki on July 28 at Kanava Terminal which I think is on the west side I think. Please tell me the tram #s or bus # to the Market Place.

Also I am gluten free. What is the probability of getting some native food that isn't fried or have any wheat (flour) oat or barley in it?

Thanks

We will landin in Helsinki on July 28 at Kanava Terminal which I think is on the west side I think. Please tell me the tram #s or bus # to the Market Place.

Kanavaterminaali berth EKL is located on the Katajanokka side of South Harbor. It's #6 on this map: http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/international_cruise Market Square is best reached by walking about 500 m. Katajanokka is served by tram lines 4 and 4T which you can use to get further in to downtown or to return to the ship.

Also I am gluten free. What is the probability of getting some native food that isn't fried or have any wheat (flour) oat or barley in it?

I suppose you could easily find gluten free traditional Finnish foods. There are many that are based on meat or fish and potato, but there are also many that do include rye, wheat, oat, or barley. Look around and ask if you are unsure.

• 2 weeks later...
I am thinking of using the tram 3. I would like to go to the Rock church and then to the Sibelius Park, how far would the walk be? Could I walk to the church and the Monument from Market square or is public transportation neccessary?

The trams have changed numbers from 3T & 3B to 2 & 3 (the tram now changes number between 2 and 3 during the trip). In this case you should take tram 2. http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?mapview=map&line=1002%20%201,1002%20%202

The Rock church is 1.75 km from the Market, nice walk through the city center.

The Sibelius park is a further 1.5 km away, rather boring walk across residential area.

The Rock church is 300 meters from closest tram stop ("Kauppakorkeakoulut").

The Sibelius Monument is some 680 meters from the nearest tram stop ("Töölön halli").

You can get closer by taking bus 14 or 18, from the Rock Church. then it will be some 350 meter to the monument from bus stop "Tölön kirjasto"

http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?mapview=map&line=1014%20%201,1014%20%202

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited by Ultima Thule

The trams have changed numbers from 3T & 3B to 2 & 3 (the tram now changes number between 2 and 3 during the trip). In this case you should take tram 2. http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?mapview=map&line=1002%20%201,1002%20%202

The Rock church is 1.75 km from the Market, nice walk through city center.

The Sibelius park is a further 1.5 km away, rather boring walk across residential area.

The Rock church is 300 meters from closest tram stop ("Kauppakorkeakoulut").

The Sibelius Monument is some 680 meters from the nearest tram stop ("Töölön halli").

You can get closer by taking bus 14 or 18, from the Rock Church. then it will be some 350 meter to the monument from bus stop "Tölön kirjasto"

http://linjakartta.reittiopas.fi/en/#?mapview=map&line=1014%20%201,1014%20%202

Hope that helps a bit.

This was just what I needed, thanks so much.

Of course the Rock Church is on my "to do " list, and also Cafe Regatta near the Sibelius Monument.

Any other tidbits you can share?

Worth going to Summelina Fortress?

Thanks Karen

Am arriving on a Sunday morning at Hernessari and hope to take in 9:45am Mass at St Henry's Cathedral, the Market Square, and a ferry trip to Suomenlinna making it back to the ship in time for 4pm sail to Stockholm.

Is this a reasonable plan and will the 24 hr Bus/Tram Transit Pass suffice for this Bus Route-14 and Tram-1A adventure? :confused:

Thanks in advance - Paul :)

in late may? I know the old market was closed last year but will it be reopened in May?

Thanks

I have not seen any set date for the reopening. It is going to happen "summer 2014" so in May it is likely still closed. Most of the vendors are currently located at Hietalahti market hall. http://www.hietalahdenkauppahalli.fi/en/

Am arriving on a Sunday morning at Hernessari and hope to take in 9:45am Mass at St Henry's Cathedral, the Market Square, and a ferry trip to Suomenlinna making it back to the ship in time for 4pm sail to Stockholm.

Is this a reasonable plan and will the 24 hr Bus/Tram Transit Pass suffice for this Bus Route-14 and Tram-1A adventure? :confused:

Thanks in advance - Paul :)

Sounds perfectly doable, but there's at least one problem. Tram 1A does not run on weekends so you need to use bus 14 and tram 3 to get to the cathedral: Route planner will give you the basic idea even though the timetables for the summer will likely be a bit different.

One day transit pass will be valid for the bus and the tram as well as the Suomenlinna ferry. The one day pass costs 8€ and can be purchased from the bus driver (cash only, no banknotes greater than 20€). The regional transit authority HSL has a pretty good site also in English: https://www.hsl.fi/en/

Route planner will give you the basic idea even though the timetables for the summer will likely be a bit different.

Note that the Route planner sometimnes can give some odd resulta. In this case it recommends a change at stop "Viiskulma" while the natural thing is to get of the bus one stop earlier at "Tehtaanpuisto" and then walk forward 60 meters to tram stop "Eiran sairaala". (Click on the stop names on the Route Details list to see where they are on the map)-

Note that the Route planner sometimnes can give some odd resulta. In this case it recommends a change at stop "Viiskulma" while the natural thing is to get of the bus one stop earlier at "Tehtaanpuisto" and then walk forward 60 meters to tram stop "Eiran sairaala". (Click on the stop names on the Route Details list to see where they are on the map)-

Jonza and Ultima Thule,

My family is very appreciative. Kiitos! -Paul

DH and I visited Helsinki for a week last summer and had a wonderful time. We enjoyed wandering the waterfront and ate a few times at the restaurant stalls in the market. Most days I check the port webcam wishing that we were back there again. I've noticed that a few stalls still set up in the winter. Do you know which stalls they are...are they selling food, souvenirs?? They certainly are hardy to be out there in freezing temperatures.

Lynn