Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

Hi, we will arrive Helsinki via Norwegian Star (West Harbour). We have 4 adults and 2 kids. Wanted to have some local food for lunch, buy some souvenirs for friends, and some easy sightseeing. Any suggestions on our route, and possible transportation option?

If that's all you are doing then take the ship's shuttle to market square and they have all your needs there.

Hi

We are on the AO Sea ,departing on the 25th June, Once the ship docks on the port , how far is the tram station, is it walking.

We have not booked an excursion, can we do it ourselves. A bit of the popular destinations and the Market place for food and shopping.

Hi

We are on the AO Sea ,departing on the 25th June, Once the ship docks on the port , how far is the tram station, is it walking.

Adventure of the Seas, 2013-07-03 08:00-17:00 quay LMA.

Its half a mile to the ferry terminal and the #9 tram stop. Consider taking a shuttle bus.

Just got back from our Baltic cruise. I have to say that Suomenlinna was one of my favorites. Got to the southern end as recommended and saw two ships pass through the narrow channel. Views were spectacular all around the fortress. Of course we had great weather, sunny and warm so that helped. Thanks Sinny for your suggestions.

Ultima Thule or Sinny,

Thank you for letting me trouble you again with another question!

Regarding transportation from the Rock Church via tram.

To get to the church:

I will be taking the tram 3T (or tram 3 in August) from the Central station toward the Rock Church, getting off at the Kauppakorkealoulut stop, walking forward to the corner, right on Lutherinkatu Street, and there is the Church.

How do I get back to Central Station from the church if I don't want to continue on the northern loop of the same Tram 3T/3 line that I did to arrive? Do I simply just go back to the Kauppakorkealoulut stop and take a Tram 3T/3 in the opposite direction? :o

Thanks for clarifying for me!

Melissa

, i will be in helsinki on a norwegian cruise, and would like to know about transportation to city center from cruise ship( if you know about the same situation in stockholm, that would be great also), i plan on going to swimming center near olympic stadium, for swimming, sauna and a little relaxation(weather permitting, and to go to Arabia factory/outlet(even though factory is closed in july), as i love their design, and we really need dinnerware, i'm open to any other suggestions, been to finland about 30 years ago, and loved it!!, thx brad

To get to the church:

I will be taking the tram 3T (or tram 3 in August) from the Central station toward the Rock Church, getting off at the Kauppakorkealoulut stop, walking forward to the corner, right on Lutherinkatu Street, and there is the Church.

Actually 3T becomes 2 and 3B becomes 3.

Now, both the tram stop and the bus stop has the same name "Kauppakorkeakoulut" (meaning "schools of economics") but the bus stop is on Runeberginkatu while the tram stop is on Arkadiankatu. So from the bus you go forward and turn right once. From the tram you either go forward turning right around a corner twice or circling the block in the other direction turning left once, the distance is about the same.

Do I simply just go back to the Kauppakorkealoulut stop and take a Tram 3T/3 in the opposite direction? :o

That's not a bad quess :)

Now, both the tram stop and the bus stop has the same name "Kauppakorkeakoulut" (meaning "schools of economics") but the bus stop is on Runeberginkatu while the tram stop is on Arkadiankatu. So from the bus you go forward and turn right once. From the tram you either go forward turning right around a corner twice or circling the block in the other direction turning left once, the distance is about the same.

Which tram 3T stop is better for the rock church? Kauppakorkeakoulut or Sammonkatu?

:D Thank you! LOL...and I was so convinced it would be more complicated than just going back to the same stop!! I wasn't sure if I had to go to another stop for a different tram line to get back to Central Station.

Thanks again!

Melissa

Which tram 3T stop is better for the rock church? Kauppakorkeakoulut or Sammonkatu?

The difference is marginal. The northward and southward platforms are located on different blocks but you have to go to the Sammonkatu street corner to reach the platforms. (Note that the blue bus stop markers for Sammonkatu stop on Google maps are a bit wrongly positioned.)

So coming to the church from downtown Sammonkatu stop is maybe 20 meter shorter walk but then you might have spent 2 minutes extra in the tram waiting at the traffic light. Going back towards the railway station with Sammonkatu might earn a bit more and got less risk the tram will pass you before reching the Kauppakorkeakoulut stop.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sammonkatu+helsinki&hl=sv&ll=60.172852,24.923097&spn=0.00242,0.008256&sll=48.084579,-35.099596&sspn=103.024098,270.527344&t=h&hnear=Sampogatan,+00100+Helsingfors,+Finland&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.172944,24.923027&panoid=t-govRRxKZTg5GW4cyt0zg&cbp=12,311.03,,0,1.64

:D Thank you! LOL...and I was so convinced it would be more complicated than just going back to the same stop!! I wasn't sure if I had to go to another stop for a different tram line to get back to Central Station.

Thanks again!

Melissa

Will you repost and let me know how this goes? THIS Melissa&Jeff are going in September and we are doing Helsinki on our own.

Hello!

We're coming on Aug 27 (Tue) and it seems that there is no walking tours available for that day of the week (there tours on Saturday, Sunday or Wednesday) and besides HOHO bus (which we dislike) there is only one company that provides daily bus tours ("Expert").

I've contacted tourist info, but nothing more came out of this. So, my question is do you aware of any other company/ies that provide group tour and do you think walking or bus- what would be preferable?

Thanks!

This is a great thread... awesome resource for the DIY'er.

I'm in a bit of a situation on this upcoming cruise where I may still be on crutches with a broken foot, and after spending the few days prior in Tallinn and St. Pete's, I'm going to want a low key day with a minimal amount of moving about while the GF can do some shopping.

If the ship offers one, I'm thinking of just taking a shuttle into the market square area.

My question: Does Princess offer a shuttle? Cost? Where does it drop you?

I'm on the Crown Princess tied up at the LMA location (West) on the 21st.

Further to my post above, I've discovered Princess does offer a shuttle to "Errottja (City Center)". I wonder if that's the same as Errottaja which is a Tram stop near the Theater. That would be great.

To minimize walking, it looks like we could take the 3B from Errottaja to the central station, switch to the 3T to go to the stone church and then return on the 3T and get off at the market square. Is this correct?

I've discovered Princess does offer a shuttle to "Erottaja (City Center)". I wonder if that's the same as Erottaja which is a Tram stop near the Theater. That would be great.

Yes, Erottaja (meaning "the divider") is a short street in downtown at corner Boulevard, Esplanade, Mannerheim road. Many of the shuttle buses stop there. To reach tram 3 stop you go downhill to the corner, turn left and continue a bit on the Boulevard.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=60.165981,24.943691&spn=0.002421,0.008256&sll=60.165981,24.943691&sspn=0.002431,0.008256&t=m&layer=c&cbll=60.166195,24.943667&panoid=1KJAiPnhl56wDwvwoUmb6Q&cbp=12,322.24,,0,-0.7&z=18

To minimize walking, it looks like we could take the 3B from Erottaja to the central station, switch to the 3T to go to the stone church and then return on the 3T and get off at the market square. Is this correct?

Correct! Note that you shall change to opposite platform at the railway station and also note trams will change numbers sometimes this summer (3B will become 3 and 3T will become 2)

Hi, we will arrive Helsinki via Norwegian Star (West Harbour). We have 4 adults and 2 kids. Wanted to have some local food for lunch, buy some souvenirs for friends, and some easy sightseeing. Any suggestions on our route, and possible transportation option?

Highly recommend the grilled salmon meal at the Market Square. They also have reindeer and paella!

What berth will you be in at West Harbor --there are several and that will determine transportation

I have a very long layover in Helsinki, en route to Vienna and the start of my river cruise. I get in at 8:15, and my flight out isn't until after 5:00. What's the best way to take advantage of my day? Should I spend money for a car and driver, or just plan to tour on my own? I'm not a nervous flier, but I do tend to be nervous about getting to the airport late and missing my plane.

Also--this is assuming that the airport lets in transit passengers leave the airport. Do you know anything about that?

Kiitos in advance for any help you can give!

I have a very long layover in Helsinki, en route to Vienna and the start of my river cruise. I get in at 8:15, and my flight out isn't until after 5:00. What's the best way to take advantage of my day? Should I spend money for a car and driver, or just plan to tour on my own? I'm not a nervous flier, but I do tend to be nervous about getting to the airport late and missing my plane.

Also--this is assuming that the airport lets in transit passengers leave the airport. Do you know anything about that?

Kiitos in advance for any help you can give!

I would start off by asking about your preferences, any special interests, special hobbies?

If you're good to go for Vienna, I see no reason why you could not have yourself stamped into the Schengen area in Finland.

"Car and driver" is probably not your thing unless you plan to spend serious $$$.

Hi everyone!

If you have any questions about Helsinki (and/or Finland), I'll be more than happy to help!

Lived here for 11 years so I consider myself an expert :D

Will be there on the Eurodam in August - plan on shuttle into town - where is the most convenient place to buy a travel ticket - not Helsinki Card - thank in advance - prescottgal @gmail.com

Will be there on the Eurodam in August - plan on shuttle into town - where is the most convenient place to buy a travel ticket - not Helsinki Card - thank in advance - prescottgal @gmail.com

The shuttle service has nothing to do with Helsinki City Transport. Its some company that provides them for the cruise lines. So trip is paid when entering the bus.

But if you want to buy a one day Helsinki City Transport card once in downtown then local bus drivers should have them or then go to the HSL main service point, Take this entrance outside and left of the railway station, down the escalator and immediately to the right (before the flower shop).

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=60.170464,24.940129&spn=0.00242,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.17047,24.940436&panoid=_lL00EokrPRcPVkrsBw7Fg&cbp=12,341.34,,0,6.93