Wife needs a clothing steamer????

I have brought one on a few times though I don't think they are allowed. Most of the time I didn't even end up using it and the cost of having things pressed is so inexpensive I stopped bothering to pack it. But I never did have to go to the naughty room...

First timer, so this is probably a dumb question.....they don't have irons on board?

Not a dumb question. Irons aren't allowed because they are a fire hazard. I didn't get it at first either. Till I took a cruise and stayed in an inside cabin.

In the past reading forums, I saw that steamers are not allowed either. Not sure why other than if left unattended, the water will eventually evaporate and overheat. It seems to me that it wasn't too expensive to have them iron clothes. You can also use Downy wrinkle remover spray. I have used it in the past and had good luck with it.

Sounds like we're in for lots of wrinkled clothes!

There are many good techniques for packing clothes so they don't get wrinkled, some here on CC and others on the web; I managed to get a nice suit and pressed shirts on board in VERY good condition. Of course some wrinkles always manage to appear, at least you can avoid the crumpled on the floor look. :D

They are allowed, I called. Google steamers, you will see a great range of prices starting at around 20 bucks. I don't use any more chemicals than I have to due to severe skin conditions. Wrinkle remover is not an option for me. Neither are wrinkles so I will take a steamer.

Like a prior poster did !

I think it was about $28.00. Bought it in one of the gift shops on the Mariner of the Seas.

I had never used one before. It is actually easier to use on a ship than an iron.

Seems that you never have any extra counter space.

With the steamer, I just put the clothes on a hanger that is hung over a cabinet door & steam. Very easy.

I always bring it.

Steamers are allowed and I have taken mine on many cruises without a problem. I don't know why people sometimes say they are not allowed. Now......some steamers look like an iron so those are probably the ones that get confiscated.

Hang the garments in the bath while you take a real hot shower and the wrinkles will steam out. If you don't pack the clothes tight enough in the suitcase they are more likely to move around and wrinkle. I put them in a smaller suitcase than I think I will need and rarely have any wrinkled clothing. If the shower trick does not work then spend a little $ and have them pressed if it is that important to you. Remember - you will never see most of these people ever again so who cares if the clothes are a bit wrinkled. If you are in a GS or above they provide free pressing of formal wear for the first formal night. They do a nice job too.

I made my first trip to the Naughty Room last week on the Monarch. The suitcase they held contained a 12 pack of shrink wrapped water bottles and a steamer. They kept the water bottles, inspected the steamer, then said the steamer was fine and returned it to me.

On the counter were at least 20 irons they had taken. They verified the steamers are fine but no irons.

I have always cruised with my little steamer. I think the only problem was my water bottles. When they opened the suitcase, they happened to see the steamer and checked it out. That wasn't the original problem.

I have always brought water bottles in the past without a problem. When I commented on that, they said they were not allowing them any more. The friends in our group also had their water bottles taken from their suitcases.

I had eMailed to find out if steamers were allowed for my trip last fall and received the following reply:

Thank you for your email.

For safety reasons, guests are not permitted to bring or use irons or clothes steamers onboard the ship. There is a full laundry (washing, pressing and dry cleaning) service onboard all ships for a nominal fee.

Self-Service Laundry facilities are not provided onboard any Royal Caribbean International ships; however, full laundry and dry cleaning services are provided as follows:

SHIPBOARD LAUNDRY SERVICE

Please note, all prices are in United States dollars (USD) and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMEN

Shirt/T-Shirt: $2.75 Blouse: $4.00

Shirt (dress): $3.50 Dress (wash): $6.00

Underwear: $1.25 Skirt: $4.00

Jeans: $3.50 Nightgown: $3.50

Pajamas: $4.25 Swimsuit: $2.25

Handkerchief: $0.75 Slip: $2.75

Shorts: $3.00 Housecoat: $3.75

Bathrobe: $4.00 Hosiery: $1.25

Pants (wash): $4.00 Slacks: $4.00

Sweatshirt: $3.50

Socks: $1.25

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices

SHIPBOARD DRY CLEANING SERVICES

MEN WOMEN

Suit: $9.00 Evening Gown: $9.50

Pants: $4.50 Dress: $8.00

Jacket: $5.00 Silk Blouse: $6.00

Sweater: $4.50 Silk Dress: $9.50

Coat: $8.25 Skirt: $5.00

Tie: $2.25 Suit: $9.00

Shirt: $4.00 Blouse: $4.50

Shorts: $3.50 Scarf: $2.75

Vest: $3.00

Silk Pajamas: $5.00

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices

Please note that for both dry cleaning and laundry, regular service is next day delivery (by 5:00 pm). Guests may request same day service for an additional service fee of 50%. Same day service is picked up before 9:00 am and returned by 5:00 pm.

Pack your clothes in dry cleaner bags. Hang up as soon as you arrive. Place dress or whatever in bathroom while you shower, spraying first with wrinkle release (test on an inconspicuous spot first). If that fails, then pay for pressing!!

DW wants to bring a clothing steamer, i know we cannot bring a iron. Anyone brought on before?

There are lots of sites with tips for proper packing, so clothing doesn't get wrinkled.....also good suggestions for materials that are less likely to wrinkle. Just have them pressed if it's an issue, but with proper planning, you don't need to bring any industrial machinery....just enjoy the cruise.

Archived