Need help with insurance for just flights

Pearl64

I just bought our air for our Australia/NZ cruise. I want to have an insurance policy that will give us something just in case we need to cancel due to our own personal illness or my 93 year old father (who is NOT traveling with us). Also, we are traveling in January of next year so weather is a concern if we can't get to the West Coast to catch our flights to New Zealand. We booked through Air New Zealand and they do not have insurance for Americans. Suggestions? The cost of these tickets is rather steep so I would like some sort of coverage. I do have insurance for the cruise part. Thanks.

Pearl

PennyAgain,

I did look there and got so confused. I did use my Amex card for the flight transaction and don't know if that would help. I saw a couple that were around $450 total for both of us. Does that sound right for $4500 worth of flights?

Also, Zach,

My TA said I could not use the same insurance as I had used Access America. Don't know why but that is what she said.

Still looking.

Pearl

I always expand my cruise travel insurance. My on-line TA offers insurance with 2 different companies and usually starts with the cruise and then as I add portions of the trip (precruise week/postcruise, flights, any deposits that would not be released and even expensive excursions -- I got sick the night before the Sarenghti Balloon breakfast and could not leave the throne!). When put as part of the cruise insurance with an outside company (I don't buy cruise insurance from the cruise comapany or travel providers) It does not raise the price that much.

If I am doing a land tour in the US or the price is relatively small, I do what is called "self-insurance" -- I take the loss if any myself. Probably I have spent more on insurance than replacing a cruise etc. but there is peace of mind. I have also spent more on car insurance than I have cost the insurance company but I buy that insurance too as the singular risk is more than I want. Calling it "self-insurance" rather than not having insurance means I have made the decision to assume the risk of a loss and have factored the odds and accepted them. JMHO and the way I work out the insurance or no insurance situation.

Also, Zach,

My TA said I could not use the same insurance as I had used Access America. Don't know why but that is what she said.

Access America is now called Allianz Travel Networks. Of course, I don't know what policy you have, but question this information from your TA.

I would bypass my TA and call this company directly to ask about adding the flight costs to your existing policy. Have your policy number ready and call them at 1-800-284-8300.

Thank you all! Mission Accomplished. Access America or whatever it is called now--just added to my existing policies and actually rolled them over into one policy. We are on b2b cruises and we needed to combine the two cruises into one and extend the days. Price was what I was seeing online. Seemed like a fair price. Now we are covered for all expenses should we have to cancel right before the cruise!

I am so relieved. I knew I would get answers here on CC.

Pearl

Pearl64- Good that you seem to have it sorted out. But, the tone of your post sounds like it was a bit too easy and cheap for the coverage you feel you may need. If you read the fine print (or better yet, discussed it with the insurance carrier), great. But if not, make very sure...especially if your father or any of you have a pre-existing condition. Some insurance companies are better than others, but the policies vary widely in the fine print. One thing the insurers have in common is they don't want to pay claims and burden of proof lies on you to prove any event is covered and documented.

Don't know about Access America but with Travel Guard as long as the policy was bought within 15 days of deposit, coverage for pre-existing is included. You can adjust the policy as need be - add flights, make the trip longer, etc., and as long as the insurance payment was made within 15 days of deposit on the trip to begin with, you would be covered.

Thank you all! Mission Accomplished. Access America or whatever it is called now--just added to my existing policies and actually rolled them over into one policy.

I'm glad, but I don't think much of your TA!

Don't know about Access America but with Travel Guard as long as the policy was bought within 15 days of deposit, coverage for pre-existing is included. You can adjust the policy as need be - add flights, make the trip longer, etc., and as long as the insurance payment was made within 15 days of deposit on the trip to begin with, you would be covered.

AND as long as you have included ALL nonrefundable trip costs. AND if you incur additional ones before your trip, you must add these to your coverage, or you will find you have NO pre-existing coverage.

Not sure most people realize this is the case with Travelguard.

The insurance agent told me that any pre-existing conditions as we took out the policy the day we booked the cruise. The policy will cover the cruise and the air. All other expenses are refundable like our hotels before the cruise.

You read my thoughts about TAs. I went with a new one who is really no better than the last one. I usually do everything myself. I guess I should go back to doing that!

Thank you again, everyone.

Pearl

The insurance agent told me that any pre-existing conditions as we took out the policy the day we booked the cruise. The policy will cover the cruise and the air. All other expenses are refundable like our hotels before the cruise.

You read my thoughts about TAs. I went with a new one who is really no better than the last one. I usually do everything myself. I guess I should go back to doing that!

Pearl

I think it depends on your comfort level and knowledge of how travel details work. If you've always done stuff by yourself and never screwed up or had major problems, I would just continue doing that. I travel for a living and know WAY too much about how the travel industry works, so I practically am a TA in myself (not literally, but you know what I mean)...for me, the idea of paying someone to plan trips to the same ability as I can do myself for free just doesn't make sense. However, if someone doesn't travel often, and doesn't trust themselves to make travel plans (which is the majority of people, so I am not criticizing), a TA can be incredibly handy.

I used to have a wonderful local TA who booked a great deal for us, but the agency closed suddenly and I have not been able to find her. I know do most of my own bookings for cruises and air with the exception of Crystal Cruise lines which does not allow you to self-book.

I would love to have a great, local TA again, but agencies are few in my area and are not as good as what I am used to.

Pearl

I urge you to read the fine print personally. You won't be the first or last person who was given wrong insurance info from their TA. (Would you trust a car salesman to fully and accurately explain your auto policy, and know all your personal details that affect coverage?) There's been a few horror stories on this board over the years.

I'd really check to make sure it covers pre-existing conditions for family members if your father is a concern. Although it wasn't relevant to me, I had a policy where serious illness of a family member outside my household was covered *if* I was the primary caregiver *and* there was proof that practical alternates were not available. Devil's in the details, unfortunately. There is coverage out there for your situation....confirm that's what you really have.

Don't mean to be Gloomy Gus...just the opposite, you need to be personally certain you're covered so you don't have to worry and can enjoy the cruise!

I urge you to read the fine print personally. You won't be the first or last person who was given wrong insurance info from their TA.

I agree. I would never take the word of the agent selling the policy; you need to see it in writing.

Archived