Ecstasy? More like misery.

We booked our cruise back in January. It has been more than five years since I was able to get an entire week off from work so we decided to try something new. Why not a cruise? Well, I'm finding out why not right now.

We chose an 'aft extended balcony' cabin based on the recommendations of folks who had sailed on this ship before. It seemed like the perfect place and given the size of the standard balconies it also seemed necessary if I was going to actually be able to sit out there comfortably.

Last week we got a call offering to upgrade us to a suite with an even larger balcony for $348. I didn't want to decide without checking with my wife, as she chose the aft balcony cabin to begin with. She agreed so I called back the next day. I had been assured that the deal was noted on my booking record and unless it was sold I could call back and get it.

When I called back I got a runaround and I wasted about an hour trying to track this 'deal' down. Finally someone 'found' the offer, but somehow the price had gone up to $580. I declined the upgrade.

This morning my wife noticed that our excursion had been refunded. I tried to access our booking online and it was gone. I called Carnival. I was informed that we had not paid our bill. Now, I've been looking at that "paid in full" thing on their web page at least three times a week for two months now. I asked the nice young lady what cabin number we had been cancelled out of. It was U98, the upgrade cabin, NOT U241 the one we actually wanted in the first place and had paid for.

So now it's an hour later, I have what I consider to be a less desirable cabin. (One deck higher, smaller balcony and closer to the public spaces of the ship making extra noise and aggravation a virtual certainty.) But they're going to give me a $40 credit for my trouble.

My wife is completely pissed off and wants to cancel the whole thing and demand they refund our plane fare and the cruise fare as well. I find myself in the position of trying to convince her that this isn't really "that bad" and we should just take it and hope for the best. That would be easier to do if I didn't feel so thoroughly messed with by these idiots. If they had never called at all we would have been perfectly happy with the cabin we booked, instead I've had a week of aggravation.

My wife is completely pissed off and wants to cancel the whole thing and demand they refund our plane fare and the cruise fare as well. I find myself in the position of trying to convince her that this isn't really "that bad" and we should just take it and hope for the best. That would be easier to do if I didn't feel so thoroughly messed with by these idiots. If they had never called at all we would have been perfectly happy with the cabin we booked, instead I've had a week of aggravation.

Do not cancel the whole thing. You will not get your money back and they will not reimburse you for your plane fare.

This is an unfortunate incident and not something that I would be at all happy with. I have heard many horror stories like this which is why my sister and I are very clear about what upgrades and for how much we would be willing to accept, so it can be done on the spot.

I would have definitely reconfirmed my original reservation before ending the call where you declined the offer. I'm not saying you should have to, but your experience is far too common and I'm a worrier.

Ouch! I understand how you feel and I would be furious too. I would still be going but I have to say I would NOT be happy with the $40 compensation. They would have to do a lot better than that for me to decide I was no longer PO'd. Sorry this happened to you guys:(

ETA: I agree with others who have posted after me, I would be back on the phone until they fixed this. It is unacceptable.

If it were me, I would demand to speak with a supervisor about the situation. I would make them bump whoever is now in U241 into your current cabin so you can go back to your original cabin - because it was their customer service agents who messed up, not you. It's not like you accepted the upgrade and then had buyers remorse and wanted your original cabin back. Either that or they need to honor your original upsell price to the suite. I wouldn't accept a $40 OBC either for the hassle.

Cal speak to supervisor and explain calmly what happened and that you want your original cabin back since you did not agree to the upgrade and should have never been moved out of your original cabin.

Wow, hard to believe they dropped the ball on this one. Never heard of them cancelling a booking after giving a PAX time to consider an upsell? Agree with wife about getting a full refund but I'd think they'd never consider refunding your airfare, too, unless if it was booked through CCL.

Not a cruise expert here but, just as a savvy consumer, this sounds like a squeaky wheel deal.

I would get myself a large hot beverage of choice and pick a time when I could sit on hold and then call and work my way up the food chain until I found someone with an I.Q. larger than their shoe size who could understand the ramifications of what has happened and with the clout to make something happen.

And I wouldn't stop until I was satisfied. Because if I was your wife every time I entered that cabin I would be pissed. And I would hate feeling that way for an entire trip.

Hold their feet to the flames.

If it were me, I would demand to speak with a supervisor about the situation. I would make them bump whoever is now in U241 into your current cabin so you can go back to your original cabin - because it was their customer service agents who messed up, not you. It's not like you accepted the upgrade and then had buyers remorse and wanted your original cabin back. Either that or they need to honor your original upsell price to the suite. I wouldn't accept a $40 OBC either for the hassle.

Brilliant, instead of one upset customer and one screwup, let's have 2!!!! :rolleyes:

We booked our cruise back in January. It has been more than five years since I was able to get an entire week off from work so we decided to try something new. Why not a cruise? Well, I'm finding out why not right now.

We chose an 'aft extended balcony' cabin based on the recommendations of folks who had sailed on this ship before. It seemed like the perfect place and given the size of the standard balconies it also seemed necessary if I was going to actually be able to sit out there comfortably.

Last week we got a call offering to upgrade us to a suite with an even larger balcony for $348. I didn't want to decide without checking with my wife, as she chose the aft balcony cabin to begin with. She agreed so I called back the next day. I had been assured that the deal was noted on my booking record and unless it was sold I could call back and get it.

When I called back I got a runaround and I wasted about an hour trying to track this 'deal' down. Finally someone 'found' the offer, but somehow the price had gone up to $580. I declined the upgrade.

This morning my wife noticed that our excursion had been refunded. I tried to access our booking online and it was gone. I called Carnival. I was informed that we had not paid our bill. Now, I've been looking at that "paid in full" thing on their web page at least three times a week for two months now. I asked the nice young lady what cabin number we had been cancelled out of. It was U98, the upgrade cabin, NOT U241 the one we actually wanted in the first place and had paid for.

So now it's an hour later, I have what I consider to be a less desirable cabin. (One deck higher, smaller balcony and closer to the public spaces of the ship making extra noise and aggravation a virtual certainty.) But they're going to give me a $40 credit for my trouble.

i would keep calling back until they sweeten the deal enough to get the bad taste out of your mouth. you just to find that right person. this nonsence is beyond ludicrous!

or cancel and rebook on something that pleases you.

Brilliant, instead of one upset customer and one screwup, let's have 2!!!! :rolleyes:

Brilliant, you obviously didn't see my other idea of Carnival honoring the original upsell price to the suite:rolleyes:

And yes, a Carnival screwup means a Carnival fix. The OPs original cabin shouldn't have been available for another passenger to book anyways.

The best solution would be to offer an upsell to the PAX that booked your original cabin. If they can get them to give up your original cabin, you can get it back. Don't understand how they can just wily-nily cancel your booking. I'd think they'd ask for payment at the time you agreed to upsell, it never should of became an "unpaid" booking. You were paid-in-full, their error! I'd keep trying with phone calls up the totem pole until you are made "whole." The $40 OBC was just a token offer that would only be adequate if you were rebooked back in your original cabin.

Thanks for all the encouragement, I'm prepared to go and make the best of it, but my wife is LIVID. She feels totally done over by Carnival and if they don't find a way to make this right there's no way we can go. She'll NEVER forget about what they've done and actually being able to enjoy this vacation will not be very likely.

She is usually very easy to get along with, but when stuff like this happens there's no talking to her. I'll have to cancel and try to book another cruise on another line or maybe just spend the week in Florida doing something else. My last call from her was along the lines of "I'm not sure cruising is for us if this is how they treat their customers"

Crud. I was really looking forward to this I NEED a vacation. Believe me.

I agree that Carnival messed up. However ... it sounded like you and your wife wanted the upgraded cabin when it was only$348 extra. So you were happy with the upgrade then. It only makes you mad enough to cancel your cruise and demand a refund for your airfare when it went up to $580. They gave you a $40 credit, so now the difference is only $192. Don't let that amount ruin your cruise! Try and go back to being happy with the upgrade the first time.

Maggie

Brilliant, you obviously didn't see my other idea of Carnival honoring the original upsell price to the suite:rolleyes:

And yes, a Carnival screwup means a Carnival fix. The OPs original cabin shouldn't have been available for another passenger to book anyways.

I read that you suggest to BUMP ANOTHER CUSTOMER so the OP can get it back.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

A carnival fix should not involve screwing another customer :rolleyes:

I agree that Carnival messed up. However ... it sounded like you and your wife wanted the upgraded cabin when it was only$348 extra. So you were happy with the upgrade then. It only makes you mad enough to cancel your cruise and demand a refund for your airfare when it went up to $580. They gave you a $40 credit, so now the difference is only $192. Don't let that amount ruin your cruise! Try and go back to being happy with the upgrade the first time.

Maggie

I believe the problem is that the original cabin that they carefully picked and paid for in full is now someone else's. Am I correct?

I would get on the phone and not get off until I was happy. But remember, to be cheerful and appreciative. You will get better results that way,.

Maggie

Uh, actually no. You might want to re-read what I actually posted. I was interested in the upgrade at the lower price, but I didn't want to cancel when they raised the price, I wanted to stay with the cabin I originally booked. And I told them that. Instead, they proceeded to process the upgrade. But they did not bill me for it or even notify me that I had been billed. They just cancelled my entire booking when I didn't pay for the upgrade that I didn't agree to. Along with my shore excursion and chef's table as well.

Uh, actually no. You might want to re-read what I actually posted. I was interested in the upgrade at the lower price, but I didn't want to cancel when they raised the price, I wanted to stay with the cabin I originally booked. And I told them that. Instead, they proceeded to process the upgrade. But they did not bill me for it or even notify me that I had been billed. They just cancelled my entire booking when I didn't pay for the upgrade that I didn't agree to. Along with my shore excursion and chef's table as well.

So when they gave you the less desirable cabin and the $40 OBC did they even restore your shore excursion or chefs table resi??

Archived