Windsor pub recommendation

We are planning on checking into our airport hotel on our arrival at Heathrow, then heading to Windsor for the remainder of the day. Does anyone have a recommendation for a pub with great food in the Windsor/Eton area?

We are planning on checking into our airport hotel on our arrival at Heathrow, then heading to Windsor for the remainder of the day. Does anyone have a recommendation for a pub with great food in the Windsor/Eton area?

Windsor is bit of a tourist trap, mostly poor food at over inflated prices.

Make your way to Bray, 4 miles from Windsor. Heston Blumenthal owns two pubs here. The Hinds Head and The Crown. They are worth checking out online.

The Hinds Head is slightly more expensive and worth the extra cost although The Crown is still fantastic pub grub.

In 2011 The Hinds Head won the Michelin Guides Best Pub grub of the year award.

I should have clarified (in case you haven't heard of him) Heston Blumenthal is the UK's current star chef. Also in Bray you will find his 3* Michelin Restaurant

The Fat Duck. About 4 years ago it was named the best restaurant in the world, and since that accolade has always been in the worlds top 5 (as decided by Restaurant magazine).

Bray is capital of British Gastronomy, on the banks of the river Thames, 400 from the Fat Duck (and 430 yards from the Hinds Head) is Michel Roux's Waterside Inn, it also is 3* Michelin restaurant.

Michel Roux was the Consultant Chef to Celebrity Cruises for many years, who is now sadly missed.

Windsor is bit of a tourist trap, mostly poor food at over inflated prices.

Make your way to Bray, 4 miles from Windsor. Heston Blumenthal owns two pubs here. The Hinds Head and The Crown. They are worth checking out online.

The Hinds Head is slightly more expensive and worth the extra cost although The Crown is still fantastic pub grub.

In 2011 The Hinds Head won the Michelin Guides Best Pub grub of the year award.

Brilliant suggestions!

Hmm - a pub with good food ?? Well - it all depends on what you mean by "good food".

We were in Windsor during the cold 2010 winter (December) . Very heavy snow which brought Heathrow to a dead stop. There were still plenty of tourists visiting Windsror and the Castle - but probably nothing like peak tourist season.

We found this small pub in Windsor - no tourists - very friendly locals ( in good Christmas spirit ) - roaring fire - good ale - good pub grub. As an Aussie , I just LOVED it..:)

A1942Small.jpg

Barry

Hmm - a pub with good food ?? Well - it all depends on what you mean by "good food".

We were in Windsor during the cold 2010 winter (December) . Very heavy snow which brought Heathrow to a dead stop. There were still plenty of tourists visiting Windsror and the Castle - but probably nothing like peak tourist season.

We found this small pub in Windsor - no tourists - very friendly locals ( in good Christmas spirit ) - roaring fire - good ale - good pub grub. As an Aussie , I just LOVED it..:)

A1942Small.jpg

Barry

We ate here, too, on our last trip to Windsor. Loved the atmosphere and the food.

We ate here, too, on our last trip to Windsor. Loved the atmosphere and the food.

That surely must be better than the overpriced messed around and pretentious food served up at a 'celebrity' restaurant.

Hi all!

Barry & Fritz ~ thanks for the recommendation! I look forward to eating here in a little over 3 weeks! The place & food sound good & reasonable.:D

~ Jo ~ :)

Don't know if you've already found it, but here's a link to the website.

http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/thecarpentersarmswindsor/

When you check out the website it looks like a small pub chain trying to push the boundaries. Nothing wrong in that!

The menus are the virtually the same in all branches.

I think the dig at 'celebrity' dining venues is unfair, I for one view Heston Blumenthal as a celebrated chef rather that celebrity chef. In the words of the food writer Jay Rayner 'the genius of Heston Blumenthal is, he took the humble chip and made it better' in reference to Heston's Triple Cooked Chips.

When you check out the website it looks like a small pub chain trying to push the boundaries. Nothing wrong in that!

The menus are the virtually the same in all branches.

I think the dig at 'celebrity' dining venues is unfair, I for one view Heston Blumenthal as a celebrated chef rather that celebrity chef. In the words of the food writer Jay Rayner 'the genius of Heston Blumenthal is, he took the humble chip and made it better' in reference to Heston's Triple Cooked Chips.

I have never been to a "celebrity" chef restaurant - but primarily because I am not wealthy enough :) We watch most of the British and Aussie celebrity chef cooking shows. Currently watching "Two greedy Italians" and loving it - great Italian traditional cooking, great pics and travel info re Italy and the banter between Antonio Carluccio and Gennaro Contaldo is both entertaining and amusing!!:) Others we have enjoyed have been the Hairy Bikers, Two fat ladies , Rick Stein's various series and Hugh Fearnly - Whittingstalls many series :)

As for Heston - I can pass on him . He messes around with food too much for my liking. :rolleyes:

I had a piece of rabbit pie in a pub in Suffolk once - on one of our many trips through the UK. I will remember it on the day I die :D

Barry

norn iron - Thank you for the suggestion, however, we will probably be limited to local transportation - with 6 traveling together, a taxi isn't always possible. Do you know if Bray is easily accessible by bus?

bazzaw - The Carpenters Arms looks promising. Thanks for the photo! Is this easily found or do you have an idea of the street so we can find it?

bazzaw - The Carpenters Arms looks promising. Thanks for the photo! Is this easily found or do you have an idea of the street so we can find it?

It's on the main street, right across from the Macdonald Hotel and near the entrance to the castle.

I have never been to a "celebrity" chef restaurant - but primarily because I am not wealthy enough :) We watch most of the British and Aussie celebrity chef cooking shows. Currently watching "Two greedy Italians" and loving it - great Italian traditional cooking, great pics and travel info re Italy and the banter between Antonio Carluccio and Gennaro Contaldo is both entertaining and amusing!!:) Others we have enjoyed have been the Hairy Bikers, Two fat ladies , Rick Stein's various series and Hugh Fearnly - Whittingstalls many series :)

As for Heston - I can pass on him . He messes around with food too much for my liking. :rolleyes:

I had a piece of rabbit pie in a pub in Suffolk once - on one of our many trips through the UK. I will remember it on the day I die :D

Barry

Heston's TV shows are nearly all far fetched and he does mess a bit with the challenges given to him by TV networks, the big difference is, no other chef can do what he does.

The Fat Duck is totally unique, with flavour combinations that only a genius could think of. You don't get 3 Michelin Stars easily. Keep in mind only 4 restaurants in the whole of the UK have that accolade, and two of the four are in Bray!

His two pubs though are much more down to earth, with the emphasis on classic British food, both old and new. He has trawled through old cook books to recreate the classics of years gone by. These are identified on the menu with an asterix and an estimate of original date.

norn iron - Thank you for the suggestion, however, we will probably be limited to local transportation - with 6 traveling together, a taxi isn't always possible. Do you know if Bray is easily accessible by bus?

lidorose, I have attached a number of links for you. The national rail link identifies the local bus service to Bray from Windsor central Bus station. It is route number 6, from bus stop F and it leaves every 40 minutes.

It is very easy to get a six - seven seat taxi in Windsor, but make sure you emphasis the Hinds Head or the Crown as your destination, taxi drivers have a bad habit of doubling the fare for diners heading to the Fat Duck, they reckon if passengers can afford the Fat Duck they can afford a higher taxi fare.

Bray is really nice village (population about 8500) The two pubs are about a maximum of 200 yards apart

The links to the two pubs will give you an idea of menus etc

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/mai/localarea.html

http://www.hindsheadbray.com/

http://www.thecrownatbray.com/

Opposite the McDonald hotel ( the one with flags outside) there is a small street in an L shape with a couple of pubs and restaurants. Alternatively in the arcade opposite the castle - what was the old railway station, walk passed the hops and at the end is a pub and a steak restaurant called the cattle grid. The ribs and burgers are great.

Jan

Archived