Front or back of plane?

kelkel2

If you don't have time restrictions, would you prefer to sit in the front or back of the plane?

I ask because Delta lets you pick and we have a 2 hour and 40 minute layover in detroit and a 3 hour and 10 min layover in atlanta on the way home. Therefore, we aren't really in a hurry to rush off the plane, we prefer to let those pushing and shoving and in a hurry off first. I don't like sitting by the wings and I will always move us away from those seats with the added responsibility.

Two of our flights will be on a Boeing 757 and the other two flights will be on a small plane (crj 700 and crj 100)

If time is not important, then it is nice of you to sit in the back to make room for those with tight connection up front. And there are advantages to it too. If you are seated in the back you board before the general public that is seated in the front (but still after the special needs, elites, etc.). If you plan on needing overhead space, boarding earlier is good. Also, when there are a few scattered empty seats they tend to be towards the back, so you stand a better chance of having an empty seat next to you.

For all those reasons I would pick the back. And definitely so on the 757.

As for the CRJs, there is a small issue. You may have to gate check your bag, and it will be delivered to you at the jetway. So if you sit far back there is a chance that they will deliver the bag to the jetway before you're there, and that someone could by mistake walk off with your bag. So if your carry-on bag does not fit in the overhead or under the seat, and looks like many other carry-on bags, you may want to sit further to the front in order to get to the jetway before the bag.

Finally, a note about the CRJ100. Its engines are mounted on the fuselage, at the back. So those seats in the back will be noisier. Some people like that, others don't.

Thanks for the advice! We will for sure book the back seats on the 757 but I may move us forward on the crj's. I don't know how loud it is, but I certainly don't want it to disrupt my nap ;) We also will not be using the overhead as we will only have one carry on and it has fit under the seat on past flights no problem. Plus, a lot of times I have stuff in my bag that I want during the flight! The crj's are so small that I doubt it really matters on those much at all anyways!

Thanks for the advice! We will for sure book the back seats on the 757 but I may move us forward on the crj's. I don't know how loud it is, but I certainly don't want it to disrupt my nap ;) We also will not be using the overhead as we will only have one carry on and it has fit under the seat on past flights no problem. Plus, a lot of times I have stuff in my bag that I want during the flight! The crj's are so small that I doubt it really matters on those much at all anyways!

I learned to fly on a 2 seat prop plane. Wanna talk small?!? ;)

If you don't have time restrictions, would you prefer to sit in the front or back of the plane?

I ask because Delta lets you pick and we have a 2 hour and 40 minute layover in detroit and a 3 hour and 10 min layover in atlanta on the way home. Therefore, we aren't really in a hurry to rush off the plane, we prefer to let those pushing and shoving and in a hurry off first. I don't like sitting by the wings and I will always move us away from those seats with the added responsibility.

Two of our flights will be on a Boeing 757 and the other two flights will be on a small plane (crj 700 and crj 100)

Go to seatguru and click on the type of aircraft and you can see the pros and cons of each seat.

I learned to fly on a 2 seat prop plane. Wanna talk small?!? ;)

LOL Don't think I wanna try that one! CRJ's make me nervous but that's all that delta had out of BMI so it's all we can do. I just feel like they wobble down the runway...

Kickballpro- thanks for the info about seatguru. I will for sure look into that!

We recently took an Embraer commuter jet, more or less the Brazilian equivalent of the Canadian Regional jet, from CLT to IAH, and chose, partially based on seatguru, two seats on the single-seat side of the plane, right near the front. It was cold up there. Warmer and sunnier in the back. BTW, your layover time may end up less than you imagined after the time to disembark (with people needing time to take down from the overhead bins "carry-on" bags the size of small cars), plus there could be delays. I don't like to be in the very back of the plane, due to too many people walking by to the rest rooms, but some much prefer it.

Go to seatguru and click on the type of aircraft and you can see the pros and cons of each seat.

My husband built (and flew) an RV-6A. Now that is a tiny 2 seater. Designed for aerobatics. Which he was not allowed to do when I was with him:rolleyes:

I don't like rows that don't recline (typically right in front of gallery or lavs, or exit rows - Seatguru will tell you) but otherwise- if you don't care about sitting in the front, it doesn't matter a lot.....

LOL Don't think I wanna try that one! CRJ's make me nervous but that's all that delta had out of BMI so it's all we can do. I just feel like they wobble down the runway...

Kickballpro- thanks for the info about seatguru. I will for sure look into that!

Delta don't fly CRJs, a number of other companies do so (like Pinnacle who are in bankruptcy), but do it under the 'Delta Connection' name. This means rather than getting a Delta staff who make a decent wage, you're getting a regional airline's piliot/co-pilot who are likely making 1/3rd of what a pilot for delta makes. (example 1st year co-pilot makes $26/flying hour for Pinnance to start on a CRJ, typically a pilot will fly about 70 hours a month)

Seatguru only talks about the seats themselves, and things like legroom, reclining, etc., and nothing about the specific request of the OP of preferring to let the rushed ones go first. You'll never find that on seatguru.

Delta don't fly CRJs, a number of other companies do so (like Pinnacle who are in bankruptcy), but do it under the 'Delta Connection' name. This means rather than getting a Delta staff who make a decent wage, you're getting a regional airline's piliot/co-pilot who are likely making 1/3rd of what a pilot for delta makes. (example 1st year co-pilot makes $26/flying hour for Pinnance to start on a CRJ, typically a pilot will fly about 70 hours a month)

I think this post will unnecessarily make less-experiences travelers worry for no reason. EVERY profession has less-experienced people earning less...you've gotta start somewhere. A rookie firefighter is making less than a 30 year veteran, but that doesn't mean he can't put the same fire out...a rookie cop is making less than a 30 year veteran, but that doesn't mean she cannot stop the same crime. Of course a rookie pilot is going to make less than a 30 year veteran (and carry fewer passengers on a smaller aircraft)...doesn't mean he hasn't been flying planes his whole life and is damn good at it (for example, I flew my first airplane when I was 12, which is three years before I ever drove a car on the street).

Seatguru only talks about the seats themselves, and things like legroom, reclining, etc., and nothing about the specific request of the OP of preferring to let the rushed ones go first. You'll never find that on seatguru.

I mentioned seatguru because it is just another resource for picking seats. And you'll certainly get to know which seats NOT to fly in. But I will stick to the script and vote for front of the plane.

@Zach...I agree. I am a graduate of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and there are plenty of quality ERAU grads who are exceptional pilots who had to haul Cargo for years before becoming a regional airline pilot.

I'm actually aware of this. We are flying out with comair and back with expressjet. We personally don't have much of a choice. We have a small airport with flights mainly to atlanta and detroit for connections to your destination. We just don't have the luxury of a big airport close by without driving to chicago. So, thanks for your input but unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it.

I'm actually aware of this. We are flying out with comair and back with expressjet. We personally don't have much of a choice. We have a small airport with flights mainly to atlanta and detroit for connections to your destination. We just don't have the luxury of a big airport close by without driving to chicago. So, thanks for your input but unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it.

Don't worry, you'll be fine. Just because a Delta Connection pilot isn't earning the same wage as a Delta mainline pilot, it doesn't mean he (or she) isn't perfectly qualified to sit in the cockpit. :)

If time is not important, then it is nice of you to sit in the back to make room for those with tight connection up front. And there are advantages to it too. If you are seated in the back you board before the general public that is seated in the front (but still after the special needs, elites, etc.). If you plan on needing overhead space, boarding earlier is good. Also, when there are a few scattered empty seats they tend to be towards the back, so you stand a better chance of having an empty seat next to you.

This varies by carrier. US airways boards front to back. First are wheelchairs/mobility impaired, next comes military in uniform, the first class and elites who didn't get upgrades, then zone two, then families with kids under two, the zones three, four, and five.

This varies by carrier. US airways boards front to back. First are wheelchairs/mobility impaired, next comes military in uniform, the first class and elites who didn't get upgrades, then zone two, then families with kids under two, the zones three, four, and five.

OP is flying Delta. After the special needs, premium classes and elites, Delta boards by zone, back to front.

OP is flying Delta. After the special needs, premium classes and elites, Delta boards by zone, back to front.

Delta Amex holders get in early too - Zone 1 now (which is after PREM and SKY - Delta just changed their zones). By the time you get to "true" zone boarding - more than half the plane has boarded, and it's not "from the back". In theory, one thing. Practice -quite another.....

Delta blocks much of the first half of their planes for their "medallions" (somewhat to very frequent flyers). So any desire to sit toward the front will be hampered by their blocking of most of the seats in front of the wing.

I think this post will unnecessarily make less-experiences travelers worry for no reason. EVERY profession has less-experienced people earning less...you've gotta start somewhere. A rookie firefighter is making less than a 30 year veteran, but that doesn't mean he can't put the same fire out...a rookie cop is making less than a 30 year veteran, but that doesn't mean she cannot stop the same crime. Of course a rookie pilot is going to make less than a 30 year veteran (and carry fewer passengers on a smaller aircraft)...doesn't mean he hasn't been flying planes his whole life and is damn good at it (for example, I flew my first airplane when I was 12, which is three years before I ever drove a car on the street).

+1.

Delta Amex holders get in early too - Zone 1 now (which is after PREM and SKY - Delta just changed their zones). By the time you get to "true" zone boarding - more than half the plane has boarded, and it's not "from the back". In theory, one thing. Practice -quite another.....

Exactly. Delta loves to be deceptive with their marketing. Very deceptive in fact. "Zone 1" is actually Zone 4 (pre-boarding, first class, Sky, then zone "1").

Archived