Turkish visa

TravelnAl

txladycruiser, great question. Just went through this before my cruise 4/2, wondering. We did not arrange for Regent to get our visa before the cruise. Before, I have arrived in Istanbul and bought it at the airport. There is never a problem in this direction, just when you are getting off in Turkey.

This time, I had a message we needed it before boarding (I knew we did not, after talking to Turkey officials), but once we got on, realized it can be arranged onboard with the $49 fee from Regent. I was observant getting off in Kusadasi when I had already arranged for Regent to do it for me. Alas, just as a previous poster said, there is a booth for this, at the time we landed, it was unmanned, closed. I had already paid the premium for my visa to Regent, so never noticed what was available in Istanbul when we got off the ship and REALLY needed it. Nice to hear one poster here was successful at saving that $30 per person to get it on their own!

If you are embarking in Istanbul then sure get your Visa at the airport.... Ahh let's see you are comatose as you have just arrived after 15 plus hrs traveling.... Arrive in a strange country oh and don't speak the language..... But now you are going to worry about finding the booth that sells Visa's collect luggage and proceed thru Turkish Imigration.

I want to save $$ as much as anyone but after a god awful flight and arriving exhausted this is just one extra detail I don't want to deal with.

Oh and in Kusdasi.... There was a booth, it was closed and never manned while Mariner was in port. Regent does have your passport on this itinerary you need to have made copies at home and bring with you...

I suspect Regent may not let you board the ship without the Turkish Visa, that was the first question asked at embarkation by Regent... They wanted to see my Visa for Turkey. I think if you use a Visa service you will find Regents price for handling the paperwork to be competitive... They do after all fill out the paperwork to apply for Visa and see that you receive it. They must pay their employees so I would not think this would be much of a profit center for Regent.

Sorry to sound so snarky but .... Oh never mind

TC2 - pent up energy??? I am impressed as that does not describe my arrival!

TC2 - pent up energy??? I am impressed as that does not describe my arrival!

Guess I am strange because I really can't wait to get going the minute I arrive in a foreign country. Traveling energizes me.

I may be a bit oversensitive about Regent taking care of visas because of the cost. We have three visas for our next two cruises (not counting the one next week). Regent gets $518 for two visas for India. The same two visas will cost us $260 (plus the cost of overnight postage, etc.) The whole process of obtaining a visa, IMO, is a pain and I don't like mailing my passport anywhere.

Spending a few minutes in line in Istanbul to get a visa is so much easier than the normal hassles one has to go through to obtain a visa. If it took any more effort than standing in line, we'd have Regent do it because the cost is so low for this particular visa. Think I'll get a $60 bottle of wine with the money I save.

Seriously, do whatever you want to do. It is nice to know the options.

Well options are always good, the airport option in Istanbul is likely a good one (my snarky comments aside) but the Kusadasi idea is just as likely not to ;)work as don't think Regent will allow It and officials are not always on hand to sell Visa's.... Not to mention tours leaving immediately upon arrival...

So embarking in Istanbul, for those of you with TC2 's boundless energy, sounds like a great way to earn an extra bottle of wine :)

If you can do the Indian visas by yourself, do it. They are costly. What happened when we got them though, is that the local Indian embassy (Chicago) did not do them and referred you to a visa service, which was the same cost as doing it through Regent. Don't know if other parts of the country has the same set up. So for what it's worth...

For the fee Regent charges for the Turkey visa, it isn't worth the hassle to do it separately. I agree with a previous poster, that if you flying in, that's one thing, but arriving by ship, it may be more difficult. It's a vacation and the price minimal, so why bother.

If it's $50 pp, by all means let Regent do it. Funny that they now demand that it be done in advance. Funny how things change, however. Granted it was 2004, and Radisson, when we did Athens - Istanbul, but they just did it automatically for us, and added some modest charge for it to our onboard account. Certainly did NOT have to have it when we boarded in Athens.

Two years ago when we did Venice to Istanbul, we did not have to get it in advance either Wendy. They did it automatically after we boarded the ship (I presume in Kusadasi as that was our first Turkish port). Then they added the $49 pp to our bill.

Trying to remember when Regent began adding on the cost of visas to your invoice. It seems that the last time we went to Istanbul (3 1/2 years ago) we were just told how to obtain the visa at the airport. Now that visas are automatically added into the cost of the cruise (as separate line items), people probably just pay it without question. Not a bad way to insure that everyone has a visa and also make quite a profit. When we contacted our TA recently to have the India visa costs removed from the invoice, she agreed wholeheartedly.

alidor: Thanks for your input regarding the India visa. I find the process for the India visas particularly complex. My DH figured it out and I'll let him deal with it. Our China visa is easy and also quite a savings so I'll do that one.

Very interesting thread as I am on the 7/3 ATH - IST.

Arriving at the IST airport seems like a no brainer, but conflicting information on this thread about disembarking in IST.

"State Department info for Turkey.

Turkey - ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: You need a passport and visa to travel to Turkey. If you are traveling as a tourist, you can purchase a 90-day sticker visa at the port of entry for $20 (U.S.) cash. There is one exception: If you are arriving by cruise ship for a day trip to Turkey, you do not require a visa as long as you are not staying on shore overnight. For further information, travelers in the United States may contact the Embassy of the Republic of Turkey at 2525 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20008, telephone: (202) 612-6700,"

You don't need the VISA for one day port stays.

What is still not clear to me since I plan on staying a few days extra in IST is can I buy a visa at disembarkation in IST or does Regent automatically buy them for you if you are disembarking in IST?

I sure don't remember anything about the Port having VISA office open...at 9:30 am when we disembarked it was just us, the luggage and porters. Don't think Regent does anything automatically...but they sure did want to inspect my Turkish Visa in Barcelona when we first boarded!

I do not think you should depend on Regent "CustomerService" folks for much of an answer either...why worry get it from Regent and let the worry goooooo:)

Maybe you have a real sharp TA...

Don't think Regent does anything automatically...but they sure did want to inspect my Turkish Visa in Barcelona when we first boarded!

I do not think you should depend on Regent "CustomerService" folks for much of an answer either...why worry get it from Regent and let the worry goooooo:)

Maybe you have a real sharp TA...

Really interesting that Regent does not automatically include visa processing charges on your invoices. They have done that on our 2012/2013 invoices. Our TA has to ask to have it removed (yes -- very sharp TA).

I'm generally a strong believer in letting Regent do the work and not worry . . . that's why we almost always use Regent air. We want to be picked up and dropped off and let them handle everything. I suppose it just depends upon the person and situation. It's all good.

yes just asked for it told them i was going to get my own visa. As you enter building from ship look to your left there is a office door with VISA on it , just get visa DO NOT get it stamped ,handed passports back and then had them stamped at airport as you leave / hope this helps you

Thanks for that, Petcoke. There is just so much conflicting information it just makes my head spin. Maybe we'll just stay on the ship in Istanbul then we won't have to worry ................ I wish!

I guess this is like other threads. You spend your money anyway you see fit;

Somethings we want to save money and other things we want to be taken care of and no hassle and don't mind paying for the privilege.

Life is like a buffet; There is no right or wrong answer really; But something important like a Visa that has potential of delaying or causing additional stress is worth an extra $30 pp to me.

Thanks for that, Petcoke. There is just so much conflicting information it just makes my head spin. Maybe we'll just stay on the ship in Istanbul then we won't have to worry ................ I wish!

In general, CruiseCritic is not the best place to get information on visas (but you will gets lots of opinions:-) Reading through all of these suggestions could be overwhelming for passengers going through this for the first time. Typically the process for obtaining a visa is more complex. In this case, just let Regent do it. Just go and home a great time.

The most important thing is that you will love Istanbul. It is an amazing place with wonderful sights and kind people. :D

Somethings we want to save money and other things we want to be taken care of and no hassle and don't mind paying for the privilege.

Life is like a buffet; There is no right or wrong answer really; But something important like a Visa that has potential of delaying or causing additional stress is worth an extra $30 pp to me.

that's the way I felt Kathy, Just let Regent do it. I did notice there was a desk at Kusadasi, but when I got off a couple of hours after landing, it was closed. I had already authorized Regent to do it for me. And I am the type who does it on my own for any ports where it will save me more. We all had it charged to our onboard credits. Just less time in the spa ;)

Well said, so. . . If at the airport, get it cheap yourself. If on the ship, let Regent take care of and go on a tour!

Nana541, it could be that the reason the Visa office was closed on the day we docked in Kusadasi is because we were not scheduled to arrive until the following day, but were diverted instead from Santorini because we could not anchor there.

Before this cruise, I was in touch with the Turkish visa call center no less than 3 times. I was assured that cruise ships are given a blanket visa for up to 3 days, but that on leaving the ship at embarkation you have to buy one, and can do so at the port. You definitely need it to get through immigration.

The visa rules and the Regent rules are not always the same (experienced that once in Brazil). Regent tells you it is necessary to have the Turkish visa before boarding, I was in a panic that we did not. Called Regent and explained, and they said no problem, I could arrange it onboard. Several days into the cruise, everyone received a notice in the cabin regarding visas. If you did not respond, and did not have a visa, one would be arranged for you and posted to your account. Since we took advantage of this convenience, I did not take it further.

Nana541, it could be that the reason the Visa office was closed on the day we docked in Kusadasi is because we were not scheduled to arrive until the following day, but were diverted instead from Santorini because we could not anchor there.

Before this cruise, I was in touch with the Turkish visa call center no less than 3 times. I was assured that cruise ships are given a blanket visa for up to 3 days, but that on leaving the ship at embarkation you have to buy one, and can do so at the port. Even ZVS tells you this on their website. But you definitely need it to get through immigration when disembarking.

The visa rules and the Regent rules are not always the same. Regent tells you it is necessary to have the Turkish visa before boarding, I was in a panic that we did not. Called Regent and explained, and they said no problem, I could arrange it onboard. Several days into the cruise, everyone received a notice in the cabin regarding visas. If you did not respond, and did not have a visa, one would be arranged for you and posted to your account. Since we took advantage of this convenience, I did not take it further.

We were in Turkey on the Voyager last week. We had no visa when we got off the ship for our excursion to Ephesus. Before reboarding the ship in the afternoon, we just stopped at the customs office right next to the dock and paid for our Visa stamps ($20 US, cash). We didn't even need to have our passports with us. We turned in the Visa stamps to the reception desk, and they were in our passports when they were handed back to us before departure in Istanbul a few days later. We stayed in Istanbul a couple of days after the cruise and all was fine when we left from the airport

We arrived in Istanbul on April 20th without a visa. It took 60 - 90 SECONDS to get a visa. You hand in your passports and $40 for two. They stamp your passports and return them to you. For those of you sooooo tired from the journey that getting a visa sounds like too much work, be prepared to spend up to an hour in the passport line (and you have overpaid for your visa by $60). We watched the visa line. . . the maximum number of people getting visas during the time we were there was three.

This post is meant only for passengers arriving in Istanbul by air. Kusadasi is another issue.

Embarking in Istanbul

If you do not mind lining up to get the Visa Stamp it is VERY easy to do at the airport. You may hit a small line or a long line you never know. They want fairly NEW US dollars they will decline old or torn money. I think arriving in ANY airport in Turkey getting a visa would be very easy.

Debarking in Istanbul

If you are on a cruise that visits Kusadasi or any Turkish port before debarking in Istanbul you should have your visa in your passport on arrival. At any time an official can cause the ship and the guests a hassle if everyone does not have a visa in their passport. I heard of one instance where they would not clear the ship for this reason and everyone onboard was delayed for their tours. Personally I would not want to be the person that caused the ship and passengers such an inconvenience.

It used to be Regent did the visa onboard but now with their "purchase a visa in advance option" I have been told that this is not being done onboard now. Personally I think that they would still issue one on board if there was a problem and would charge the same onboard as the pre-purchased visa so why not do it ahead of time and save everyone the problem. I would suggest purchasing the visa stamp from Regent as this will be the easiest option. You get the stamp with your final documents and just paste it in your passport - very easy.

You can buy a visa on the pier in Istanbul and as I understand it they are more flexible than in Kusadasi (I have no idea why) but again I think for the inconvenience of dealing with this on the debarkation day which is always a hassle anyway it just makes sense to purchase one ahead.

For the $29 savings per person I think that is money well spent to not have issues in Kusadasi or Istanbul.

Archived