Duties of a cabin steward(?)

cod

I just read a review that panned NCL's sevice...from the waiters to the cabin stewards. For that reason they are returning to RC. Fine! Different strokes. etc., etc.. However, having been on a few RC cruises, they are not perfect either!

But back to cabin stewards...she said they left a glass of soda on her night table for 4 days until she 'reported' it and that they did not pickup/fold any clothes laying around. (First, how would they know this was a 'disposable' drink? I'd have left it too!)

I have never expected a cabin steward to do anything other than make the bed, leave ice, clean the bathroom a little and leave clean towels, and dump the trash. For that reason I keep the cabin ship-shape (pun intended) and nothing out-of-place or laying around. I consider him/her a cabin steward, not my personal maid.

Am I in the majority or the minority?? Just wondering...........

I would never expect cabin stewards or even hotel maids to pick up my clothes and fold them...all I want is a clean towel and ice ...... nothing more :) but I do love the the towel animals!

Yes, and if they'd taken the soda, then the risk is that someone wanted it left to drink when they got back to the room. It can be difficult to determine what a person wants to keep versus dispose of sometimes. I notice that the stewards will generally leave glasses of water or soda left on night tables alone for this reason. If I want a used glass taken, I dump the contents down the sink. Or stick it on the desk or table with other dirty glasses and dishes that are obviously intended to be picked up.

My question to this reviewer is... Why is a grown adult leaving clothes on the floor? Did no one teach them anything? I can not imagine their house with clothes all over the floor. Glad they will be going somewhere else

So to answer your question. No they are not to be your slave. Although most will pick up things on the floors and put them on the bed, table etc if they had been dropped there. I like you only expect them to make the beds (and that I really dont expect because I do it myself when I get up), take out the trash and make sure the room is the way it supposed to be.

Oh yeah, dont forget the towel animals.

I would never expect cabin stewards or even hotel maids to pick up my clothes and fold them...all I want is a clean towel and ice ...... nothing more :) but I do love the the towel animals!

I never expect this. We try to set our clothes aside, but on a couple trips every time we came back to the room any clothes left out were neatly folded.

I

I have never expected a cabin steward to do anything other than make the bed, leave ice, clean the bathroom a little and leave clean towels, and dump the trash. For that reason I keep the cabin ship-shape (pun intended) and nothing out-of-place or laying around. I consider him/her a cabin steward, not my personal maid.

You understand it. Evidently some folks don't!

But back to cabin stewards...she said they left a glass of soda on her night table for 4 days until she 'reported' it and that they did not pickup/fold any clothes laying around. (First, how would they know this was a 'disposable' drink? I'd have left it too!)

When we were on the Pride of America in January, my wife got seasick and one of the wait staff in the restaurants made her a ginger ale and bitters thing to help settle her stomach. We left it on the desk type area for a few days and was happy they didn't pick it up as she sipped off it a few times. Although, they did eventually collect it.

This is all we expect too. So definitely not in the minority.

My question to this reviewer is... Why is a grown adult leaving clothes on the floor? Did no one teach them anything? I can not imagine their house with clothes all over the floor.

You would be surprised!

I once offered to take my stepdaughter on a cruise. Had the cabin booked and then she decided she didn't want to stay with me since I'd said she'd have to pick up her stuff and help keep the cabin neat and tidy since it's, afterall, a small space for 2 adult women to share.

Needless to say, we didn't go on that cruise. I won't offer again.

And yes, her house is a mess. :(

If they were finished with a drink they should pour the soda down the drain and place the empty glass over by the ice bucket. The also should fold and put up their own clothes, clean, dirty or otherwise. That person needs a reality check.

I just read a review that panned NCL's sevice...from the waiters to the cabin stewards. For that reason they are returning to RC. Fine! Different strokes. etc., etc.. However, having been on a few RC cruises, they are not perfect either!

I never expect this. We try to set our clothes aside, but on a couple trips every time we came back to the room any clothes left out were neatly folded.

Same here...when we inadvertently left a Tshirt on the bed we found it folded on the nightstand after the steward serviced the room. I do not intend or expect the steward to fold our clothes, but I appreciated that he didn't make the bed with the Tshirt in the sheets. I cannot imagine expecting a steward to routinely pick my clothes up off the floor and fold them.

You are in the majority.

Who leaves clothes lying all over the place anyway? I do not spend the cruise folding laundry but try to keep things organized and put dirty clothes to the side or in a bag in the closet. And take clothes out and wear them.

Tough job

Anyone think the reason the steward did not pick up the soda was because he/she thought they still wanted to drink it?

I have booked in some hotels where room servants throw away my plastic bags I use to pack my personal things in. That always frustrates me so now I hide the bags.

I used to wear a retainer and have it soak in a glass but I always hid the glass for fear they would throw it away accidently.

I tell these stories to make the point of the fine line in cleaning rooms. If you clean too much or touch their belongings, people get mad. If they dont do it sometimes, people get mad.

Very fine line

Aside from clean towels, making the bed and trash emptying, there's not alot to do in our cabin. I'm pretty neat...hate clutter. Even the bed doesn't take much to make, as rumpled sheets are not left once we get up....I straighten the covers so it doesn't look messy!

Yes...I would expect an old glass to be removed unless there were ice cubes in it...indicating that it was "fresh"!

Every cruise we ask our cabin steward (in polite conversation ) which port he/she is getting off at! The night before that port we ask for extra towels, then tell him/her to skip our room that day.

I hadn't thought of doing that... great idea! Thanks!

Sounds like this cruiser was a picky woman and I bet she wanted the steward to keep her husband happy too LOL ;)

I feel guilty even at the notion of a steward making my bed. I keep the cabin ship shape as well and expect nothing more then garbage emptied and beds made. I fold my own damn clothes and I make sure to remove dishes and keep the room organized etc. I can't imagine a cabin steward playing with my bra's and panties LOL.

Some people you can never please I tell ya!

This post reminds me of a funny post I read a year or so ago.

A woman took her old undies on the cruise, not intending to bring them back home, she'd simply throw them away after using them.

when she came back to her cabin after the first day's cleaning, she found the panties she threw away in the trash, neatly folded on her bed! :D

She had to tell her steward that she would be doing that for the entire cruise and didn't want them back.

I forgot to mention this. As I read on she said that on the last day she had the 'tips' adjusted because of the poor service. She said they argued about it at first but then, evidently, she had her way. Don't ya' just love it!?!?!?

I am one of those lazy types that leaves clothes lying around at home and when I travel and could care less if they are picked up or tidied up but have found on all on my cruises that is exactly what the room stewards do - some times they do such a good job i can't find where they put everything.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived