What is salary of entertainers on cruise lines?

oceanbound22

I've wondered about that too. Back in the 90's, on the old Golden Princess, we got to know one of the girl dancers quite well. It was her first contract and she had just sprained her ankle pretty badly. She was very worried that they would just terminate her contract and leave her in port. Apparently there was very little leeway for missing performances for any reason.

She soldiered through the week (also led some of the exercise classes) with a taped-up ankle. I wish I had kept in contact with her to know how it all turned out.

I think this must be a very hard job indeed. She also said they were (naturally) very strict on the weight of the dancers; they couldn't vary up or down much, due to costumes fitting right as well as looking good on stage.

I was on the Ocean Princess last fall and the did a Q&A session and back stage tour with the dancers. They did not say what they earned but the team leader got extra pay and they were paid more with extra experience. The Americans had to pay US taxes while the English and Australian dancers income was tax free.

I was watching this show -- Cruise Inc. -- on Netflix the other day and I recall that at one point they focused for awhile on dancers who were trying to get selected for a part in a shipboard show. I think they said the dancer could earn about $27,000 in six months.

One of our friends is a guitar player on Carnival...he makes ok money for a single guy with no commitments. While on the ship, he has no rent, grocery or insurance bills....but once off the ship, he has no home, or kitchen or healthcare! It's a trade off when you do this sort of job.

Fine for a single person without a family.....not so hot for any other demographic!

I know a dancer on Princess who was making $18,000 for her 7 month contract. She thought it was decent since she got her room and board and there was nowhere to spend money. She alternates between cruises and doing dinner theaters,

I've had a couple friends who have played in ship's bands...

It's decent money, and steady work (which is important for musicians and entertainers)... And as others have said, room/board is covered. But not a great lifestyle for anyone with a family.

And no health insurance or other benefits.

I think it would be cool to do right out of college, but can't imagine making it a career.

The pay and working conditions are not that great - certainly for someone trying to support/raise a family -- but when you consider all the ships which do employ entertainers, it represents a tremendous supply of entry-level work in show business for young people wanting to try for a career in show business.

Archived