HAL Shore Excursion

jmkennett

Hi. Not sure if this should go under this forum or the Greece one, but it is specific to HAL. We are booked on the July 18, NA sailing (Italy, Greece, Turkey). I have a question of HAL's thinking on a certain shore excursion. Any idea why HAL's shore excursion dept. only offers a four hour "On Your Own" tour of Athens? We are there from 8-5, but this one returns at 12:30. I would think if you want to see Athens for the day on you own, they could give you eight hours, like their own guided tours, rather than four. It is only 40 minutes from Pireaus to the Plaka area. Doesn't make sense. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Hi. Not sure if this should go under this forum or the Greece one, but it is specific to HAL. We are booked on the July 18, NA sailing (Italy, Greece, Turkey). I have a question of HAL's thinking on a certain shore excursion. Any idea why HAL's shore excursion dept. only offers a four hour "On Your Own" tour of Athens? We are there from 8-5, but this one returns at 12:30. I would think if you want to see Athens for the day on you own, they could give you eight hours, like their own guided tours, rather than four. It is only 40 minutes from Pireaus to the Plaka area. Doesn't make sense. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

I would call the Shore Ex phone number, not Ship Services. I've always found the Shore Ex people most helpful when I've called them.

The toll-free 'phone number for Shore Excursions is 1-888-425-9376 or 206-626-7320 :)

When we saw how short the time was on that HAL excursion we decided to DIY completely, and it was very easy. A taxi directly to the Acropolis cost about 10 Euro (IIRC) plus tip, and we were there well ahead of the crowds. While we were coming back down there was a huge line of people inching their way up.

Going back we took the subway to Piraeus (1 Euro pp I think), and the price included a transfer for a bus from the end of the line back to the ship. I don't recall the bus number. Research it on the Greece Port of Call forum, or just ask in Piraeus what bus to take after you get off the subway.

Good luck!

That is strange, and I'm not sure who you would call.

Thank you for the info everyone. I will make the call. If you look at their excursions for Athens, you'll see what I'm saying. I could maybe understand if they offered a bunch of four hour afternoon tours that they would try to entice you into one of those, but that is not the case. Strange!

So, I spoke with the Shore Excursion department and the answer was they are at the mercy of the tour operator. This is what the tour operator gives them, so that is why it is only four hours long. Seems to be a dumb answer to me. Last I cheked HAL is the customer and they could probably tell tthe TO we want an eight hour option. In my opinion it is more along the lines of we want you to purchase our $249 eight hour tour, rather than the $59, four hour transfer. I think I'll take the metro for a few Euros.

Archived