solo cruising on Princess, your experience/suggestions

vmom

I am a past Princess cruises, having cruised 8 times with Princess.

All those cruises have been with my husband of many years. My husband had now passed away. I am in my mid 50's.

One of my enjoyable "hobbies" which we enjoyed together was cruise planning. We would look at the different cruises, pick out and talk about the cruises that we would do together "some day" and would plan our next cruise together. We enjoyed not just the cruise but the planning and talking about also.

I would like to continue cruising and since most of my friends all have spouses that they vacation with, am thinking about trying a cruise by myself.

Does Princess offer any initial activities or meetings for people traveling solo to meet? I am not interested in meeting someone romantically, but as a woman in her mid 50's am interested in meeting other people who might enjoy a meal, excursion, or activity together.

If I remember correctly, there may be some sort of "single" events, but is that for young singles interested in romance...in which case I would not feel comfortable ...or is it more of a time for people traveling solo to connect for possibly sharing activities together. Are these mostly young people at these events?

Was it awkward at meals or lonely being alone on a cruise? Are there any organizations that offer solo cruising that are not "single" groups looking for more. I guess as a widow after many years of marriage, I don't identify myself as single yet. I'm not interested in dating, only interested in sharing activities, preferably with other women who are traveling alone.

I don't mind paying more for my own room, so that is not an issue, just how is life aboard a Princess ship as a solo traveler.

I've always cruised by myself and never felt alone, after all, there's just too many things to do on board. You will meet other folks during your excursions, as well as meeting people at dinner - if you choose to share a table. Plus, if you choose, you can meet people from your cruise roll call on this site, and join them at a "meet & greet" gathering of your cruise's roll call which is generally held after sail away or perhaps on the first sea day.

My condolences on your husband's passing.

I cruise solo in a cabin but usually with family or friends although I have taken a completely solo cruise. I'm pretty independent so even when traveling with others, I go my own way during the day, meeting others at night for drinks and dinner. When I cruised solo, I choose Traditional dining so I'd have the same tablemates every night and wouldn't have to re-explain again and again that I'm cruising solo. That gets old quickly. I join the roll call, join tours planned by others or plan a tour and have others join me, I take advantage of group activities, i.e., those where people do things together. In the buffet, I sometimes ask if I can join others at a table if it's a bit crowded.

The few times I've attended singles get-togethers, they were awful. Either others looking for a shipboard romance or young people looking to meet others. I'd rather go to events that are real activites because I'm not very good at small talk. I look for activities that are of interest to me so that there's a common interest with others.

I am a past Princess cruises, having cruised 8 times with Princess.

All those cruises have been with my husband of many years. My husband had now passed away. So sorry. I am in my mid 50's.

One of my enjoyable "hobbies" which we enjoyed together was cruise planning. We would look at the different cruises, pick out and talk about the cruises that we would do together "some day" and would plan our next cruise together. We enjoyed not just the cruise but the planning and talking about also.

I would like to continue cruising and since most of my friends all have spouses that they vacation with, am thinking about trying a cruise by myself.

Does Princess offer any initial activities or meetings for people traveling solo to meet? I believe they do, but as a single myself I find it very easy to talk to people once on an excursion. Look at the plus side, you will get a seat on the bus by the window to yourself. :) I am not interested in meeting someone romantically, but as a woman in her mid 50's am interested in meeting other people who might enjoy a meal, excursion, or activity together.

If I remember correctly, there may be some sort of "single" events, but is that for young singles interested in romance...in which case I would not feel comfortable ...or is it more of a time for people traveling solo to connect for possibly sharing activities together. Are these mostly young people at these events? Hello??? It's Princess. ;) Young people are 50's! I've only been to a couple and have never had more than 3 people show up. Once it was me and the gal that was running it. And no, I don't think they are romantic type single events. They are solo traveler events.

Was it awkward at meals or lonely being alone on a cruise? I have never been lonely or felt awkard or alone. I actually prefer to cruise alone. You will love having the cabin all to yourself. You can do what you want, when you want and don't have to worry about anyone but yourself. I prefer anytime dining and usually ask for a table for 6. I don't like anything bigger as it takes too long to eat and I can't even remember 5 other peoples names. :D I don't want to be stuck with the same people every night at traditional dining. Anytime gives you fresh faces every night. If you find people who's company you enjoy you can always plan to eat together again. I have no problem going to the Horizon Court and sitting by myself or asking folks if I can join them. Have met lots of nice people that way. You can even play a little mind game with yourself if you feel strange being alone. Pretend you are with others, but they are just off doing something else at that moment. ;) Are there any organizations that offer solo cruising that are not "single" groups looking for more. I guess as a widow after many years of marriage, I don't identify myself as single yet. I'm not interested in dating, only interested in sharing activities, preferably with other women who are traveling alone. I'm sure if you scoured the internet you could find some single traveler groups. I'd rather do stuff by myself that be stuck with a bunch of folks I might not like. Especially as a cabin mate.

I don't mind paying more for my own room, so that is not an issue, just how is life aboard a Princess ship as a solo traveler.

I too am in my 50's and divorced. I have a long time boyfriend so I am not looking for romance either. It's just that I love to cruise and he doesn't. Besides we have 5 animals so someone must stay home to take care of them. :D

Trust me, after you travel by yourself you will love it. Especially crusing, it is the easiest thing to do by yourself. You will be the envy of all your friends that you have the courage to do it. In a few years, when your friends husbands pass, you will be the "go to" girl. :D

I have never cruised Princess but most of my cruises have been solo. It's difficult to find people to cruise with (schedules, interest, finance). I enjoy traditional dinning for this reason. You are assigned to a table with others and you have someone to talk about the days events.

Don't write off singles meetings. I sailed on Royal Caribbean earlier this year and attended a solo cruisers lunch in the daily activities postings. This was first time that I had ever done this. I am also in my mid 50's and to my surprise, several of the people in the group were near my age, some older. It was very nice. Disclaimer: this was a 10 day cruise and I have heard that you get an older crowd on those cruises.

I have met some great people (some that I still have contact with post cruise) and love those solo cruises, I hope that you do too.

I know it is not quite the same situation as yours, and I am sorry for your loss, but a friend of mine went to London alone for three weeks (her husband stayed home). She said it was the best holiday she'd ever had. She didn't have to think about someone else when deciding when or where she went or how long for, it was totally up to her. She said it was total freedom.

I know it won't be the same for you but if you treat it as an adventure and look on the positives it will be great! As far as enjoying the planning just haunt these boards and trip advisor like I do and you will get all the help, encouragement and feedback you need!

I have never cruised alone but now am separated and have often wondered if I would be brave enough. I am lucky to have a friend coming with me this year but I would really love to hear how you found it Vmom as I also have those same fears about feeling awkward. If you decide to go for it, please let us know how you found it.

I've cruised and traveled internationally as a solo traveler for years, and I love it! It's fun to have friends around too, but it is great to have the freedom of doing what you like without having to consult other people. Sleep in, or get up to watch the sun come up....head to bed early, or stay out til OMG-thirty in the morning........play some slots, play some bingo, play trivia, or just sit out on the pool deck and read a book. You can do whatever you like whenever!

I have attended some of the solo traveler gatherings on Princess, and the folks who showed up were definitely not of the "younger kids" crowd. I think you'll do just fine! Additionally, I find that hanging out at the lounges on your own pretty much guarantees that you'll have someone to talk to shortly. I've met lots of people and had some lovely conversations while out in the public spaces of the ship. You might also check out the trivia games, bingo, and other activities as a way to meet new folks as well.

If you want to look at some dedicated singles cruises, just do a google search under those key words and you'll find some options to do so.

Personally, I have my next solo cruise coming up on the Caribbean Princess going from SJU to NYC on 4/29. Haven't yet done a repo cruise, so this should be fun!

Hope you decide to head out and sail on your own. I'm sure you'll have a great time! :)

Everytime we cruised my DH would spend more and more time in the cabin or just laying out on the Promenade Deck. I found myself going to many venues, onboard, by myself and even going to some meals by myself. I couldn't believe how easy it was to mix and mingle and how friendly and open most people were.

I guess it's really up to you. Keep an open mind, a smile on your face and go with a positive attitude - It also doesn't hurt to have a good book on hand - Haven't you seen all the people sitting all over the ship with a book/a game/some knitting/some napping, etc., etc.

I have NEVER been on a cruise that didn't have nice people willing to make new friendships and always willing to share a story or two.

Just think, you'll have the bathroom all to yourself.

I have never cruised alone but I look forward to doing it in October.

I definitely agree with the other posters that you'll have no trouble meeting people and keeping yourself occupied whilst onboard. I also agree that the planning and waiting phase of a cruise holiday is part of the excitement of cruising. Im a single guy in my early 30's and so far Ive always found a mate willing to come with me. However I know the time will come where I'll have to cruise alone and Im kinda excited and looking forward to it. The downside to it from what I've seen so far is the single supplement you have to pay to have the cabin to yourself. Anyway, I hope you end up going and having a great time and I look forward to reading a review on your experience.

Cheers

Steve

There is a board on Cruise Critic for solo cruisers. You may want to check it out if you haven't found it already. Reading the solo board helped me when I first decided to try a solo cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

I had cruised with friends and had my own cabin a couple times and then decided to try a solo cruise in 2009. I love to cruise and no one could afford to go with me at that time. I didn't want to stay home just because I couldn't find someone to join me. I went solo on a 7 day cruise on the Crown Princess. The first time I was a bit iffey about how I liked it when I stepped off the ship, but very soon I was booking another solo cruise. I did another 7 day and then moved on to a 10 day and then another 10 day. Now, I'm looking forward to a 14 day solo cruise to Hawaii on the Sapphire. I love it. I love my friends and will cruise with them when it works out, but I love solo cruising, too. I feel like it's a great big present that I give myself. Every minute of the day I can do whatever I want. Now, I'm shopping a 28 day cruise to Tahiti. I'm really good being with myself and can keep myself entertained. I have had some great roll calls and some not so great. A good roll call makes it fun to recognize a face and have some people to chat with. Sometimes they have several activities planned and you can join in on tours. You may feel odd at first, but give yourself time to just enjoy. I do anytime dining because I don't want to be with the same people every night. I often just go to the Horizon Court and grab a salad for dinner because I don't like spending so much time in the dining room every night. Hope you have a great time.

Sorry for your loss.

Hi VMOM -

So sorry for your loss.

I have cruised many times solo, actually choose to go solo by choice. My life seems so crazy at time and it is nice to get away and do what I want and not have to compromise with anyone on what I want to do.

I am perfectly content reading a book in a quiet area on deck, going to shows and doing things by myself. Now after saying that - even though I don't go looking to make friends to hang out with, I seem to have always met some wonderful people who I have had dinner with or hung out with on excursions. So with out trying - I have been very fortunate to cruise with many people who I have become long time friends with. I can't tell you how many people I have met on cruises that I still stay in contact with.

Go with the flow. It will obviously be different then when you cruised with your spouse. It will be a new different and I think you will be surprised at how quickly you will meet people. I suggest joining the roll call.

Wishing you the best!

Theresa

Thank you all so much for your encouragement and suggestions. Now I'm excited to give solo traveling a try. I am outgoing and really enjoy meeting new people but not yet adjusted to being alone yet so your encouragement has been very helpful.

I called Princess and got some helpful info. If I book an inside (which I am okay with) on many sailings its only 150% for a solo rather than the usual 200% for a solo traveler.

Am thinking of a fall 7 day Caribbean cruise or maybe a 10 day on the Emerald to start off with.

I also found out that I can have my husband's future cruise credits move over to my account for my use...so instead of having 2 future cruise credits, after the ones in his name are moved over, I will have 4 future cruise credits.

I called Princess and got some helpful info. If I book an inside (which I am okay with) on many sailings its only 150% for a solo rather than the usual 200% for a solo traveler.

This is pretty true when you book in advance. If you book last minute flash specials, it can be 200%, even on insides. Don't let the percentage scare you though.

A friend and myself both cruised to Alaska a few years ago - both of us booked outside cabins next to each other. He booked early and paid 150-160% of the single rate. I booked late and paid 200%. Guess what - we ended up paying the same amount as the cost of the cruise went down but my percentage went up but it was the same price my friend paid who booked months before I.

This is pretty true when you book in advance. If you book last minute flash specials, it can be 200%, even on insides. Don't let the percentage scare you though.

A friend and myself both cruised to Alaska a few years ago - both of us booked outside cabins next to each other. He booked early and paid 150-160% of the single rate. I booked late and paid 200%. Guess what - we ended up paying the same amount as the cost of the cruise went down but my percentage went up but it was the same price my friend paid who booked months before I.

Thanks. Is there usually a time period prior to booking that the amount goes to 200% vs 150%. Also, I did not know that outsides may also be 150%. Is this true only on some cruises?

I am also starting to cruise solo although my first experience wasn't great but I just think it was the cruise rather than being solo. It was the last cruise out of NY last summer on the Caribbean. Unfortunately the people at my table for dinner never showed so after the 2nd night, I ended up going to the buffet. There were many families with kids on board. I did meet some great people from CC and ended up having dinner with them the last few days which was great.

From my experience, I think anytime dining is better because they at least put you at a table with OP's. I also think longer cruises, not during school breaks or vacations have more single people.

Booking early can save you some money and if you don't mind an inside cabin, you can get some great prices. Many of my friends are not in the financial position I'm in so even if we do plan something, they end up cancelling because they need the money for something else.

I did check out the link posted in the previous post but didn't see any activity since Dec. The other thing is I'm very partial to Princess so I'd rather wing it on a Princess cruise than go with a solo group on another line.

I cruised on Princess for the first time a couple weeks ago aboard Ruby and traveled by myself. My mom and I used to travel together all the time but she lost her battle with cancer a year and a half ago. I was fearful that traveling by myself would be terrible due to the fact that I don't like the feeling of being "alone" as I've always been a sociable kind of person.

I have no regrets now travelling by myself. I had a blast aboard Ruby and meet so many wonderful people. Plus I was always seated with people who were very friendly and outgoing.

IMHO, you'll have a great time traveling solo. Also I'd like to offer my sympathies on the loss of your husband

Thanks. Is there usually a time period prior to booking that the amount goes to 200% vs 150%. Also, I did not know that outsides may also be 150%. Is this true only on some cruises?
Yes, outsides can be only 150% but it depends on the sailing and the cabin category. As always, it comes down to supply and demand.

Unfortunately the people at my table for dinner never showed so after the 2nd night, I ended up going to the buffet.

If that happens again, just ask the Matre d' to assign you to another table with people that do show up.

I've cruised and traveled internationally as a solo traveler for years, and I love it! It's fun to have friends around too, but it is great to have the freedom of doing what you like without having to consult other people. Sleep in, or get up to watch the sun come up....head to bed early, or stay out til OMG-thirty in the morning........play some slots, play some bingo, play trivia, or just sit out on the pool deck and read a book. You can do whatever you like whenever!

I have attended some of the solo traveler gatherings on Princess, and the folks who showed up were definitely not of the "younger kids" crowd. I think you'll do just fine! Additionally, I find that hanging out at the lounges on your own pretty much guarantees that you'll have someone to talk to shortly. I've met lots of people and had some lovely conversations while out in the public spaces of the ship. You might also check out the trivia games, bingo, and other activities as a way to meet new folks as well.

If you want to look at some dedicated singles cruises, just do a google search under those key words and you'll find some options to do so.

Personally, I have my next solo cruise coming up on the Caribbean Princess going from SJU to NYC on 4/29. Haven't yet done a repo cruise, so this should be fun!

Hope you decide to head out and sail on your own. I'm sure you'll have a great time! :)

I too am on the 4 day repo from SJU to NY - travelling solo. I love repo cruises and have done quite a few of them. Sea days are my favorite! I went with an inside guarantee because the price was so good. Still waiting for my cabin assignment. I checked the roll calls and didn't see one just for the 4 day. Looks like the RC is only for the trans-atlantic portion. :(

99% of my cruising has been solo and I've loved it. It's easy to meet others and I've made some dear friends along the way. I would caution that in the days of traditional dining it was much easier.

Now that independent dining has become standard on most cruise lines, very few people choose the traditional dining route. The last time I opted for the set dining, I ended up at a table for 8 by myself! You can always try it and see if you have any other table mates, but if you end up in a similar situation, I'd recommend that you use the dining room for breakfast and lunch and ask to be seated with others. You are likely to connect with someone who would love to join you for dinner. The buffet is another alternative, but why deny yourself the service of the dining room. As a last resort, you can always bring a book to the dinner table.

Aside from meals, meeting others at the public events is easy if you make the effort. And DEFINITELY check the roll call boards!

I have booked inside cabins solo at 135%, but by the time the cruise rolls around I'm almost to 200%. As others have pointed out, double occupancy cabins get more discounts and solos do not. Still it's possible that there could be a well sold cruise where your percentage stays below 200%. I've spoiled myself lately and just booked balcony cabins at 200% because it's so nice having my own outdoor space when I'm traveling solo. When I retire and funds are more limited I'll probably be back to inside or OV cabins. And, yes, I've gotten OV cabins at 150%.

If the links to the solo board don't work, go to the main Cruise Critic board, look for the Special Interest section and then Solo Cruising.

Have fun.

I too am on the 4 day repo from SJU to NY - travelling solo. I love repo cruises and have done quite a few of them. Sea days are my favorite! I went with an inside guarantee because the price was so good. Still waiting for my cabin assignment. I checked the roll calls and didn't see one just for the 4 day. Looks like the RC is only for the trans-atlantic portion. :(

Please check the roll call for the T/A portion. We are included for the 4 day repo.

There is a combined Roll Call that includes those of us on the 4-day repo....it just happens to also include all of those staying on for the TA out of NYC. There just isn't a separate roll call for our 4-day sailing is all. Meet & Greet is on Monday at 11am in Skywalker's. :)

Check out the roll cal here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1407146

Andrea

Archived