Timing of Ruby Princess Safety Drill

cruise9duo

We are going on a Mediterranean cruise on the Ruby in May that begins in Venice. We overnight in Venice before leaving at approximately 8 a.m. the next morning. With the new guideline of having the safety drill before sailing, does anyone know how they time it in this type of situation? We are planning on dropping luggage and going back into Venice for the evening, as I am sure others are also. It is hard to imagine the turnout for an early a.m. muster if they wait until the next morning. Obviously they will work this out, just curious if anyone has any insight!!

We did this cruise in July 2010. Muster drill was held after we sailed, at 10am. Turnout was normal, as everyone was awake for the early sailaway.

I thought the rule was still that the drill had to be completed within 24 hours of sailing?

I thought the rule was still that the drill had to be completed within 24 hours of sailing?

That is correct as long as the voyage is more that 24 hrs in duration and most cruises fall in that category. I think there has been some movement in the cruise industry to have the drill before embarkation, but that is not a law yet.

That is correct as long as the voyage is more that 24 hrs in duration and most cruises fall in that category. I think there has been some movement in the cruise industry to have the drill before embarkation, but that is not a law yet.

More likely before sailing.

I think it would be logistically difficult to hold Muster before passengers embark plus they wouldn't know where their Muster station is if they haven't boarded the ship. :)

Internationally, the law is within 24 hours. Cruises embarking in the US is before sailing. Since the Concordia tragedy, cruiselines have been voluntarily holding Muster before sailing on cruises embarking outside the US. I'd expect a Muster late afternoon or early evening with a make-up after sailing.

Same question... different time... our cruise on the Crown shows us departing Venice the day after embarkation at 1pm... what time would they likely hold the muster drill?

I'll be doing that same itinerary on the Crown this year too. My guess is the drill will be after sailing but I don't know for sure. It would make the most sense, considering people will probably be off in Venice even that morning.

Like others posted above, I think there is a movement to change the law and require having the drill before sailing, but nothing has been changed yet. So, muster drills after sailing (as long as it's within 24 hours) are still fine.

I am thinking back to our sail away out of Venice. I think the ship held a muster the first night and a make up one the next day. Red did a red eye out, so I think we stayed awake to hit the muster and then went to bed. It was not held during sail away I know that.

Same question... different time... our cruise on the Crown shows us departing Venice the day after embarkation at 1pm... what time would they likely hold the muster drill?

Everybody must be on board by 12:30.

Muster drill might be held around noon so it will be finished by sailaway. There would be a makup later that day for those who miss the first drill.

Archived