Effect of Hawaii Liquor Law Change (POA)

wayfarer87

We're staying in a suite on POA on a Hawaii cruise this month, and I was called by the concierge and informed that Hawaii law has changed and now suite guests can no longer receive 3 free bottles of liquor. Instead I would be getting 3 free bottles of wine.

I'm pretty annoyed by this - the cost isn't even close to equivalent - to purchase the amount of drinks that can be made with 3 bottles of liquor on a cruise ship is significantly more than the cost of 3 bottles of wine. I am extremely frustrated that they found this to be an equitable solution after we just paid extra to get these suite amenities. I think we should get a large onboard credit instead to offset the lack of liquor so that we can still enjoy free drinks with liquor.

I'm curious what others think about this. I plan on bringing it up with NCL but wanted to see if other cruisers agreed with me.

This on top of the other amenities that they have taken away for suite guests since I booked the cruise over a year ago such as free internet and free limo transport to the boat (this is the top primo suite) has greatly frustrated me with the cruise line. Mostly because NCL doesn't think they have done anything wrong even though our cost hasn't gone down at all.

I always wondered how they could get away with this considering they can't do bar set ups in Hawaii. I suspect it isn't a law change so much as an enforcement change. Hawaii has stricter liquor and gambling laws. NCL would actually prefer to be able to offer gambling and bar set ups to accommodate their passengers, not to mention the increased revenue.

Not sure why you would get upset at NCL due to Hawaii laws, when they are trying to come up with a solution given the Hawaii law. What do you expect them to do instead. Did you ask for some OBC? I bet they might give you some, but probably not as much as you want.

I always wondered how they could get away with this considering they can't do bar set ups in Hawaii. I suspect it isn't a law change so much as an enforcement change. Hawaii has stricter liquor and gambling laws. NCL would actually prefer to be able to offer gambling and bar set ups to accommodate their passengers, not to mention the increased revenue.

Not sure why you would get upset at NCL due to Hawaii laws, when they are trying to come up with a solution given the Hawaii law. What do you expect them to do instead. Did you ask for some OBC? I bet they might give you some, but probably not as much as you want.

yes i think i should get obc instead of the wine - i wasn't able to talk to them for any length of time as they called me on my way to my rehearsal dinner! so i didn't get the chance to ask for anything, just heard what they told me and had to move on.

it's the way it was delt with that bothers me about ncl. the ammenties that were available at the time i booked the cruise should be what i get - if that requires them to give me obc since the laws/ enforcement changed, or to keep amenities around that they are planning on discontinuing, i think that is fair.

Well said.

Sorry this is so frustrating to you. I do think that NCL is trying to make the best of it with the either change in the law or the enforcement of a law. They can not control what the individual states or countries do.

Sounds like you are very busy right now with a wedding, but when you get a moment try calling them. If you do not drink wine, ask them if there is anything else they can do. I have to agree there are many wines that are a lot more expensive than the hard stuff, but if you do not drink it, that does not really matter. So just talk to them and see if they can do something else.

As for the other perks that you say have gone away since you booked, just ask if they can do anything.

My thought on all of this is that all of the cruise lines are beginning to suffer with the cost of fuel going up and they are trying to find ways to make cuts before they start charging the fuel surcharge to everyone. I think we are all in for seeing more cuts.

Best of luck

We're staying in a suite on POA on a Hawaii cruise this month, and I was called by the concierge and informed that Hawaii law has changed and now suite guests can no longer receive 3 free bottles of liquor. Instead I would be getting 3 free bottles of wine.

I'm pretty annoyed by this - the cost isn't even close to equivalent - to purchase the amount of drinks that can be made with 3 bottles of liquor on a cruise ship is significantly more than the cost of 3 bottles of wine. I am extremely frustrated that they found this to be an equitable solution after we just paid extra to get these suite amenities. I think we should get a large onboard credit instead to offset the lack of liquor so that we can still enjoy free drinks with liquor.

I'm curious what others think about this. I plan on bringing it up with NCL but wanted to see if other cruisers agreed with me.

This on top of the other amenities that they have taken away for suite guests since I booked the cruise over a year ago such as free internet and free limo transport to the boat (this is the top primo suite) has greatly frustrated me with the cruise line. Mostly because NCL doesn't think they have done anything wrong even though our cost hasn't gone down at all.

Not to sound too snippy, but I assume you're in the Deluxe Owner's Suite? Unless PoA is different in that regard from every other NCL ship, the DOS has never had limo service. That's been reserved for Garden Villas only and PoA doesn't have one. As far as I know, free internet has never been a perk for any suite, not even GVs. There are computers available in the suites, but internet access was not included at no charge.

I do completely agree with you about the wine versus hard liquor issue though. That's really lousy. I also agree that a nice onboard credit, even if in the specific form of a beverage credit, would be more equitable and far more fair.

beachchick

Not sure why you would get upset at NCL due to Hawaii laws.....

I think the point is that the value of amenities was x when the poster originally booked and regardless of the reason why, it is now less than x, and NCL didn't offer an equivalence to offset the decreased value of what they are still getting the same revenue for.

An extreme example....if you booked a cruise and suddenly a law changed or was enforced that requires all onboard food to be billed for, would you not expect NCL to "make you whole" given that you booked and paid for a cruise that included food? Exactly the same scenario but just on a different scale.

The product as advertised or through precedence (which carries weight), was one thing and it changed to another and no offer was made to make up the difference.

In my opinion, NCL should provide OBC to cover the difference between their price for the wine that they are going to give you and what they charge for the liquor that they would have provided (based on their bar set up prices for other ships).

I see nothing wrong with NCL giving you three $20 bottles of wine in lieu of three $20 bottles of liquor. Now if they were to offer you 3 bottles of Mogen David 20-20 instead, then it would be something to complain about.

I see nothing wrong with NCL giving you three $20 bottles of wine in lieu of three $20 bottles of liquor. Now if they were to offer you 3 bottles of Mogen David 20-20 instead, then it would be something to complain about.

$20 bottles of liquor? What kind of liquor to drink on your cruise can you get for $20 dollar? I think they shall replace the liquor with wines they take around $80 for if they shall be fair. Maybe they do that?

Perhaps because the bottles of liquor are at the very least $80 a piece whan purchased through the bar set-up..

I agree with the OP on the liquor issue , there should be a $400-$500 obc .

That is what it would cost roughly to purchase the number of drinks in those 3 bottles... ; )

We don't drink wine (give me heartburn), but we both enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail in our room with our 3 bottles :) I would not be happy with the wine versus booze swap, but maybe drink coupons or OBC? If they did drink coupons, you could pick wine if wanted or a cocktail, or even an alcohol free cocktail/smoothie.

Since we are not wine drinkers, we always leave the included champagne in the room and never buy any of the romance or other packages that include wine as it seems like a waste of $. We would however, use drink coupons, and if NCL offered these instead of wine, I probably would get some type of package. Are you listening NCL?

I agree NCLA should have done more than three bottles of wine,hopefully y'll at least get to select and they won't just put three bottles of their garbage so called house label in you suite.

I also thought that normal rules/laws come into effect after a certain date and therefore shouldn't have affected present bookings but rather future bookings.

If you get nowhere prior to sailing discuss it with your butler and if nothing then I would head directly to Hotel Director on board, his office is beside the excursion desk.

OK here's what I think, since you asked. It's not like NCL is doing this to be mean or trying to be difficult. As pointed out they have probably gotten pressure to enforce Hawaii's laws.

I think you are jumping the gun getting annoyed at NCL so soon, when really you haven't even given them a chance to make you happy.

They offered you 3 bottles of wine in place of 3 bottles of liquor. Are these equivalent, I guess would depend on the price tag of both. But even if they are equivalent in price, you don't appear to want the wine in lieu of, which is understandable if you are not wine drinkers.

But before being all upset, perhaps you should give NCL a chance to make you feel whole when you do have time to speak with them and explain that this is not a satisfactory solution to you.

BTW I've never heard of those other perks you mentioned being suite perks that were taken away.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - it seems like most people generally agree that since we don't want the wine, the OBC is something we should get. I'll bring this up with them soon and let you guys know what the outcome is.

And to some of the other random comments:

- Cancel the cruise at the last minute and lose all my money? That makes a ton of sense! lol

- I remember when booking the cruise, the reason that I picked the top suite over the ones right below it were because it had the free internet - and I remember there being limo service too. I have no proof of this as I didn't take a screen shot of the internet page or have NCL send me a statement of promised amenities or something, but I know that is the reason I booked the top suite! There were 2 other suites with hot tubs on the balcony too (that's what I really wanted!!!) but these things weren't in their listed amenities.

- They didn't say what the values of the wine are that they are offering, but something tells me it is not their finest bottle of $200 wine. I can update when I know for sure for those who are curious.

Looks and feels like a bait and switch to me, I would suggest you ask for what you want. I would not let NCL off the hook.

Obviously you have no idea what "bait and switch" means.

Here's the definition used by the Federal Trade Commission:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/baitads-gd.htm

Sec. 238.0 Bait advertising defined.1

Bait advertising is an alluring but insincere offer to sell a product or service which the advertiser in truth does not intend or want to sell. Its purpose is to switch consumers from buying the advertised merchandise, in order to sell something else, usually at a higher price or on a basis more advantageous to the advertiser. The primary aim of a bait advertisement is to obtain leads as to persons interested in buying merchandise of the type so advertised.

Archived