Does my 1-year-old need a passport for a Canadian Disembarkment after Alaska?

coolcats

We will be flying from Seattle to Anchorage and then taking a southbound cruise back to Vancouver, BC. I've read that kids under 16 can travel with their birth certificate. I'd like to hear from someone who has done this that it will work. Thanks!

If you are flying from Vancouver, your 1-year old needs a passport.

If you need one, so does the 1-year old.

We are not flying. We are taking a bus back to Seattle. From what I read, if entering by sea or land (which we are by taking the bus), he won't need one. I called the cruise line and they confirmed.

We are not flying. We are taking a bus back to Seattle. From what I read, if entering by sea or land (which we are by taking the bus), he won't need one. I called the cruise line and they confirmed.

You do not need a passport if you are taking a closed loop cruise (a cruise that starts and ends in the same US port). If entering Canada by sea on a closed loop cruise, you do not need a passport. If you are going by land between Canada and the US, you need a passport.

From your posts, it sounds like you are taking a one way cruise, not a closed loop cruise and you are coming back to the US from Canada via bus. From that information, you need a passport. Is this a bus that the cruiseline charters and makes this cruise into a closed loop cruise thus not requiring a passport? I don't see how you are being told you don't need a passport.

Edit: Just looked at SadieN's link and that supports the argument that you don't need a passport. Never knew there is an exception for 15 and under and contiguous territory.

Children: U.S. citizen children ages 15 and under arriving by land or sea from a contiguous territory may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born), a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate.

You should check with the US embassy, but from what I understand a passport is a MUST for entering the USA. I cross the canada / US border 3 to 4 times a year by car, passport everytime even when my daughter was 4, not 1 but pretty young.

Yes a roundtrip cruise can getbuy with certificate, but you NEVER leave the country technically.

What flhokie said is the best advice - contact the US State Department. They are the final and ONLY authority on what you need to know.

I also agree. This is a US State Dept. rule. I would never trust any cruise line as the authority on this. The line may have good info that is written about this, usually on the website. Speaking to a customer service rep would be risky in my opinion. I would rather be safe than stuck.

We drive between Detroit and Windsor Ontario quite a bit, with family members of all ages. It doesn't matter what city you renter the US from, the rules are the same. EVERYONE, regardless of age, needs one of the following:

1. US Passport OR Passport Card

2. A NEXUS card, which requires fingerprinting

3. An Enhanced Drivers License

If you don't believe this, just google "US citizen traveling to Canada requirements". Its all there, from the US State Department website, where I copied the above information.

It appears that you are not doing a closed loop cruise, one that starts and ends in the same US port. The law on that is very specific. If your cruise starts in one port, and ends in another port, a passport is REQUIRED. No exceptions.

If you don't have the passport or passport card for the baby, you will be denied boarding.

Here is from the State.gov Website:

If a U.S. citizen traveling to Canada does not have a passport, passport card, or approved alternate document such as a NEXUS card, they must show a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport. Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship. (Please see below for important information concerning re-entry into the United States.)

U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid U.S. passport.

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.

I'm going to call them tomorrow to get clarification. I may still get a passport for him just to play it safe.

I did a lot of research in planning a land vacation to Canada next month. Basically what you already said - land and sea entries for kids under 16 only need a birth certificate and entries by air need a passport. We were originally driving, but then decided to fly for convenience. So we got her passport.

I figured it's probably better to have one for her anyways since we do travel. And even though the cruise in Nov doesn't require it, it will be good to have it then as well.

• 1 month later...

OP - did the person with whom you spoke at the State Department understand you were entering Canada on a cruise that was not a closed loop cruise?

I believe the issue with an open-loop cruise is the documentation you are required to present for re-entry to the US. Your child may need a passport to re-enter the US. It's not the same as if you just drove over the border into Canada and then drove back. Please call the State Department again for clarification and NEVER believe what a cruise line customer service agent tells you in regard to immigration issues.

Wow, this thread is just going on circles, making my head spin.

Personally I'd just get a passport. It's easy to do and they don't cost too much. Then you won't have to worry about having the correct documentation, especially if there happens to be an emergency and you have to fly(which will require one-as has been mentioned about 10 times in this thread).

An added bonus is that baby passport photos are super cute. :D Great momento to have for a baby book.

I agree, get the passport. You may be technically correct about this exception, and presumably the immigration officials at the border will know about it because that's their business. But I would worry about being allowed to board the cruise in Alaska. I wouldn't want to get in a situation where I had to argue with the check-in staff at the cruise terminal. Easier to just have the passport.

Archived