Room ready upon embarkation?

lidorose

So from what I gather from these boards, unlike the other cruise lines I've been on, Princess rooms are ready when we board? Did I gather correctly?

Does this mean you can take your carry-on luggage with you and go right to the room before heading somewhere and stuffing your face? Sweet.

So from what I gather from these boards, unlike the other cruise lines I've been on, Princess rooms are ready when we board? Did I gather correctly?

Does this mean you can take your carry-on luggage with you and go right to the room before heading somewhere and stuffing your face? Sweet.

Yes, go to your room, drop your stuff, tip the steward/ess and ask for egg crates then head to MDR - assuming you already signed up for the UST if interested.

Well - you can, but you can always take your luggage with you to the buffet so you don't fall behind your cruise mates in the eating competition! :-) We're 12 for 12 in our cabin being ready when we boarded.

So can you carry all your luggage on? Not that everyone would want to. Just curious.

You can only carry on luggage that can fit through the "carry on luggage" scanner. The big stuff has to be checked...

When sailing Princess, yes your cabin will be ready for you to go drop off your carry- ons. Sometimes the main dining room is open for lunch,usually until around 1pm or so. Buffet(Horizon Court) open as well.

My last cruise they warned us that the cabins might not be ready yet because of the delayed disembarkation. That said, even though we were in teh first group getting on, our cabin was still available (I figured if it wasn't ready, then we'd just drop our carryons in the closet area anyway, figured they wouldn't be in the way there).

The tradeoff for the cabin being ready when you embark is that you must vacate the cabin by 8 AM on disembarkation day.

The tradeoff for the cabin being ready when you embark is that you must vacate the cabin by 8 AM on disembarkation day.

For me, that's a no brainer trade. It's such a comfort knowing that I can go straight to my cabin upon boarding. As for vacating by 8, we have had to be ready to leave by then anyway. Of course, if one is in the 9 or 10 depart slot, I suspect that may be a small issue. But still, one gives up maybe an hour in the cabin on that last day? I'll take it..

Good point though.

For most of our cruises the cabin has been totally ready. We have had 1-2 cases where it was mostly ready, and we could use our bathroom (it was ready) and stash our carry-on luggage out of sight, and our valuables in the safe.

Keep in mind that if there has been some illness onboard ship the previous cruise the crew must take extra time to thoroughly clean everything, and they could be running late. Also the stewards appear to have to service more cabins than ever and if your cabin is the unlucky one they finish last...

If you have everything packed and out of the way, the steward will usually be fine with you leaving stuff in your cabin after 8 AM so you can grab a bite then come back and get your carryons.

For me, that's a no brainer trade. It's such a comfort knowing that I can go straight to my cabin upon boarding. As for vacating by 8, we have had to be ready to leave by then anyway. Of course, if one is in the 9 or 10 depart slot, I suspect that may be a small issue. But still, one gives up maybe an hour in the cabin on that last day? I'll take it..

Good point though.

Sometime maybe I should have said usually you can go to your room but it probably won't be 100 percent ready. HAL is the line that the rooms are ready when you board.

Okay, so is it like the one at the airport? Will a small rolling suitcase fit?

Thanks,

Diane

Yes, as far as the scanner being the same size as the airport. Only difference here is as you go through the metal detector there is no need to remove your shoes

What is UST? I am new to Princess so dont' know all the abbreviations.

Thanks

It is the "Ultimate Ship Tour."

It is a 3-4 hour tour of different areas of the ship including the Theater, Laundry area, Photo Shop, Print shop, Medical area (unless it is being used), Funnel area, the Galley and the Bridge.

It is $150.00 PP and by all accounts of those they have done it, (ourselves included), it is worth the price.

Also, you get a Chef's jacket, a set of photos taken by the ship's photographer during the tour, A plush robe ($90.00 value), and I believe a Princess cookbook.

Yes, as far as the scanner being the same size as the airport. Only difference here is as you go through the metal detector there is no need to remove your shoes

Another different is no restriction on length as the airport folk will not allow you to proceed with a long item that would not be allowed in the plane cabin.

You can only carry on luggage that can fit through the "carry on luggage" scanner. The big stuff has to be checked...

At embarkation, they use the port scanners, not the onboard (smaller) carry-on scanners. In every port of embarkation I've been to in both the US and elsewhere, these would have accommodated any size suitcase I would have wanted to bring. Effectively, if you are capable of hauling it and willing to haul it, you'll be permitted to haul it.

Being able to get to the cabin immediately after boarding is one of the nice things about Princess. No aimless milling about with your hand luggage...

One of the things we like most about Princess is being able to go directly to our cabin upon embarkation!

Great to drop off our carry-ons, put our valuables in the safe, and freshen up a bit in our own bathroom. :D

WE like this option also and it one of the reasons we prefer Princess. Schlepping luggage around for a couple hours is not a nice start to a vacation.

Cori

Archived