What's the Deal with the Lawn?

teacher_md

There are so many reasons to love Celebrity: the ships are gorgeous, the food is great and the service is top notch.

I have been on the Summit, Millennium and Century - all beautiful!

Now I am looking into cruising on one of the Solstice class ships. Here is what I don't get:

- What is the deal with the lawn? I don't get the appeal of a lawn on a cruise ship. Can someone explain this to me? Why would I want to pay oodles of money to sit in a cabana on a lawn on a cruise ship? Why would I pay extra money to assist in grilling meats overlooking the lawn? I don't want to lift a finger on vacation.

Thanks for the enlightening :)

-aj

For me, the appeal is walking barefoot through nice grass. Personally, I LOVE that whether on land or at sea. The smell of freshly cut grass is one of those scents that takes me back to childhood summers and creates such a nice overall feeling. I wouldn't personally pay for the cabanas, but I did enjoy walking through the grass and sitting beside the grass while looking out at the water. Could just be personal preference.

It's lovely to sit on, play games, and just watch the ocean. They have music in the evenings and you can listen while you sit on a blanket with a glass of wine. You don't have to grill your steak if you don't want to, but a lot of people really have fun doing it. It's all about choices:D

The Lawn Club Grill is one of the most fun experiences we've had on a ship....you don't have to cook anything...but you can if you want...it's "interactive" and the staff makes it fun....we went twice while on Silhouette .... relaxed...good drinks...great food...great service....what more could you ask for....don't knock it till you've tried it....:)

There are so many reasons to love Celebrity: the ships are gorgeous, the food is great and the service is top notch.

I have been on the Summit, Millennium and Century - all beautiful!

Now I am looking into cruising on one of the Solstice class ships. Here is what I don't get:

- What is the deal with the lawn? I don't get the appeal of a lawn on a cruise ship. Can someone explain this to me? Why would I want to pay oodles of money to sit in a cabana on a lawn on a cruise ship? Why would I pay extra money to assist in grilling meats overlooking the lawn? I don't want to lift a finger on vacation.

Thanks for the enlightening :)

-aj

The lawn is an attempt to make S-class different, to advertise something "unlike any other" or "the first at see".

Just marketing.

In fact this is an unprecedented waste of upper deck space "unlike anywhere else".

The lawn takes about 1/3 of the ship.

Result: crammed pool deck.

Another major design flaw of the S-cless - lack of promenade deck.

This is unacceptable.

The whole design caters for 70+ folks.

This is a modern floating IKEA-style hotel, not a ship.

The lawn is an attempt to make S-class different, to advertise something "unlike any other" or "the first at see".

Just marketing.

In fact this is an unprecedented waste of upper deck space "unlike anywhere else".

This is unacceptable.

Could disagree more.

Its just something that is a little different--also very nice to see a little touch of land when you are halfway across the Atlantic on a trans Atlantic. Fun to watch the kids from the kids club playing outside on the grass. Nothing like the smell of fresh cut grass while enjoying a steaming cup ofcoffee at sunrise while sailing by the Rock of Gibralter. Ah memories.

Just marketing.

This is unacceptable.

Booo! I don't care one way or another about the lawn b/c I live in MT and it takes about 3 hours to mow my lawn behind the walking mower, and over an hour to mow on our riding mower. But I think I'm in the minority, and there are many people who are nostalgic for the feeling of grass between their toes and the smell of grass. Personally, the lawn is just fine with me and I am in my 50's. I don't spend any time there, but I also don't spend time in some other areas of the ship. On a 7 day cruise, there is so much to do, so little time!

Just marketing.

This is unacceptable.

Tell us how you really feel;)...

As for being unacceptable? I think they sail full all the time, so

there must be some passengers who think otherwise....I am still

15 years away from 70 and enjoy the area.:)

Personally we do not pick a cruise to see grass or even sit on grass. It is different, but must agree it is more of a marketing thing.I don't believe ships are full because of a lawn. Been on too many ships and must say ths is not something we even look at or use. Wasted space and cabanas are totally way too expensive.

I love the Lawn Club! Really missed it when I sailed on Millennium a couple of months ago. Great place to relax or play games (croquet, bocce, baggo etc.). Enjoyed the concert they held up their one evening during sail-a-way and love the hot glass show. All three times I sailed on a ship with a Lawn Club it was a busy and popular spot.

You can't be serious. This is an asinine comment.

If you look at his previous posts, the majority are snarky and negative. I chalk it up to a person who is just unhappy about S-class and can't be pleased. For the record, I'm half of 70 and LOVE the lawn!

Just marketing.

This is unacceptable.

Tell us how you really feel;)...

As for being unacceptable? I think they sail full all the time, so

there must be some passengers who think otherwise....I am still

15 years away from 70 and enjoy the area.:)

Too funny Lois, you took the words right out of my mouth!

We are way under 70 (well, one further away than the other, I digress...) and we both love the lawn club.

Granted, on the Silhouette, we weren't crazy about the cabanas and the fact that they seemed to monopolize a portion of the lawn, but while on a cruise, we were just happy to be there.

As far as the lawn club grill, while it is a tad too $$, we did enjoy our meal there. And we enjoyed being a part of the making of it. The chefs were very informative and we learned a thing or 2!

Just marketing.

This is unacceptable.

Wow, silly me, I must have missed the "restricted to 70+ sign" on the lawn. But in my defense, so did 20's, 30's... 60's miss it with me.

I thought the lawn was a nice touch. Then again, I was on the Eclipse so there wasn't any cabanas or cook your own steak stuff. Just a nice green area for folks to relax and watch the glass show, listen to music with some wine and cheese, play a few lawn games... ya know, the kind of thing you do to relax.

JMHO

Having sailed on the Solstice and Equinox...and having 30+ cruises on my list...I did not take the lawn as something for the 70+ crowd...in fact I noted many more couples who were traveling with babies enjoying the area. We enjoyed a cocktail or two in the area. I am also only mid 50's. Having said that I did not miss the lawn on the Summit and haven't given it a thought for our upcoming cruise on the Connie...

But are people renting them? If so, not a wasted space for X.

From what we have seen and read, not rented and biggest complaint is cost and they face inside rather than facing the sea. Cost is very expensive.

Just marketing.

This is unacceptable.

1/3 of the ship? Your powers of observation are pretty poor, my friend. It doesn't even take up 1/3 of HALF the upper deck, much less the entire ship!! Where did you get that nonsensical idea? Have you ever been on one of these ships? Or are you just sitting in your computer chair and passing judgment with no actual knowledge of what you are talking about?

As for your coveted promenade deck, on every ship I have ever sailed on that had one, it reminded me of a ghost town with few people using it. Why be on a narrow deck with a view to one side only, covered by piping and mechanical protrusions above you, when one can lay on a blanket, enjoying the fresh air, sunshine, and a nearly 360 degree view on the lawn?

Me, I prefer not to box myself, so rarely use the promenade deck and very much enjoy the openness of the lawn area.

Just marketing.

This is unacceptable.

One opinion, and that is it's value. Do not even say if you have been on a S Class yet to have an honest opinion?? Would carry a tiny bit more value if you had?

Same with mine, only I just got off of one, and I loved the Silhouette and look forward to two more S Class sailings in the next year. Did not care for cabanas or eat at Lawn Grill but the Ship itself was wonderful.

Think they have become my favorite class of ship out of 26 Cruises on everything from a small Old Carnival Ship to the Oasis OS.

Of course, only my opinion but one based on some experience.:D

My cruise on the Eclipse...

The whole design of the ship caters for 70+ folks (slow pace life, no jogging/no promenade, covered shallow pool, "relaxing" grass lawn).

The food is not as good as on Cunard/HAL/Princess but much better than on other cruise lines.

My 86 y.o. uncle will be in haven there.

If they decide to take a cruise, my first recommendation will be Celebrity S-class.

Note the size of the lawn.

Note crammed pool deck.

Note the row of life boats where the promenade deck should have been.

iz46c4.jpg

The sun/pool deck is a zoo on sea days.

2h5k0ad.jpg

Things are getting worse on the Silhouette: instead of free The Hot Glass Show and free lawn you get another $$ eatery and $$ cabanas for rent.

j0z8l5.jpg

Archived