What's the Deal with the Lawn?

teacher_md

Off topic (but I think the lawn area is a huge waste too--give us a promenade deck or a walking track that isn't conjested), but where are you in Montana? We have a son who lives outside of Butte.

I think when you live in the country with acres of lawn/trees, bushes the lawn on a ship is anti-climatic.

Not so for everyone. We have lots of acres but just love the lawn for peaceful times where there's little crowd. Wonderful place to read and get away from the pool and walking areas.............

My fiance and I are both 26 and the Lawn Club was one of our favorite parts of the ship! I even ended up buying a Lawn Club t-shirt!

It just feels relaxing to have a drink and sit in one on the chairs cruising on the calm seas and sunset with the beautiful green grass against the colorful sky.

:D:D This has been a very entertaining read. It is wonderful that we can compare and share our likes and dislikes, but how wonderful it is to have choices! Nothing is perfect in life and if there weren't a variety of cruise ships to choose from, how boring and mundane things would be. Life is too short to embrace what is wrong over and over again...Look for what is right and follow your dreams wherever you sail!:)

The lawn is an attempt to make S-class different, to advertise something "unlike any other" or "the first at see".

Just marketing.

In fact this is an unprecedented waste of upper deck space "unlike anywhere else".

The lawn takes about 1/3 of the ship.

Result: crammed pool deck.

Another major design flaw of the S-cless - lack of promenade deck.

This is unacceptable.

The whole design caters for 70+ folks.

This is a modern floating IKEA-style hotel, not a ship.

Nope. You are wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
My cruise on the Eclipse...

The whole design of the ship caters for 70+ folks (slow pace life, no jogging/no promenade, covered shallow pool, "relaxing" grass lawn).

The food is not as good as on Cunard/HAL/Princess but much better than on other cruise lines.

My 86 y.o. uncle will be in haven there.

If they decide to take a cruise, my first recommendation will be Celebrity S-class.

Note the size of the lawn.

Note crammed pool deck.

Note the row of life boats where the promenade deck should have been.

iz46c4.jpg

The sun/pool deck is a zoo on sea days.

2h5k0ad.jpg

Things are getting worse on the Silhouette: instead of free The Hot Glass Show and free lawn you get another $$ eatery and $$ cabanas for rent.

j0z8l5.jpg

Note: almost all pool decks on all ships are crowded!

Note: all promenade decks have lifeboats hanging over them! (thank god!). You can still walk or sit on the promenade deck. To do a complete walk around the entire ship you will have to transit across the ship inside on the bow and the stern.

This has been a very entertaining read. It is wonderful that we can compare and share our likes and dislikes, but how wonderful it is to have choices! Nothing is perfect in life and if there weren't a variety of cruise ships to choose from, how boring and mundane things would be. Life is too short to embrace what is wrong over and over again...Look for what is right and follow your dreams wherever you sail!

Good thoughts and summary points from our friend in Lake Tahoe. It's great to have many choices and options.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 90,782 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Having recently sailed on the Silhouette, I DO prefer having the lifeboats hang above the promenade deck rather than sit on it. I was also disappointed by the closed (to passengers) bow and stern on the promenade deck. However, that didn't stop me from booking a future cruise on the Solstice! :D

Interesting thread. My husband and I just returned from the Silhouette (we are 31 & 40). I was excited about the Lawn Club and did think it was interesting but underutilized. The cabanas are nice but way too pricey at $150 per person (that is what I was quoted for a sea day). Most days they were not rented out. If that was the flat fee for the day then I'd absolutely give it a shot.

I will say that most folks at the Lawn Club Grill were having a FABULOUS time during dinner. You could hear them laughing and clapping from the bar! They did Jazz on the lawn a few times and that was very nice - reminded me of going to jazz in the sculpture garden at the National Mall in DC. One night my husband and I found a great sofa/seating area near the lawn/art studio and enjoyed a lovely sunset and bottle of wine.

Could it be an extension of the pool deck? Sure. But, I think the lawn is a neat idea with a lot of potential ... just my two cents!

On our last Eclipse cruise I saw the Lawn Maintainence guy sprinkling Grey Goose Vodka on the grass, when I asked him about it he explained that by doing this the grass came up half cut.

I read your post 15 minutes ago and I'm still laughing.

Thanks for Friday's laugh.

Was on the 6/12 Silhouette sailing and rented an alcove for both scheduled sea days. The alcoves were all reserved even if people weren't sitting in them all day. We would often get up to wander ourselves. The concept is nice but we probably wouldn't do it again. When we called to reserve we only had to book it with one person so we only paid $150 per day. It was a nice place to always have somewhere to sit and go to but you are a little isolated up there and it can get windy. I'm glad we tried it out for the experience though!

Archived