What's the Deal with the Lawn?

teacher_md

On the Equinox, I was at the Sunset Bar every evening nad most of both sea days. Granted, it's cooler in November, so there were no sun bathers.

The lawn area gives a sense of openness and spaciousness, akin to being on an island. I have little use for indoor venues. I am at sea, and the lawn area is the perfect space to enjoy it.

Fav place on the ship is the sunset bar/lawn area. Have spent several days up there and am so looking forward to it again in January!!

bigmohes-On Eclipse did you happen to meet wonderful Sunset bartender Ignacio De La Torre? We greatly enjoyed our nightly predinner cocktails there with him! Here he is during one of his lighter moments! Bwaaaaah! :D

7114311225_2b85ac4b8a_z.jpg

Sunset Bartender Ignacio goofing by snokeldawgs, on Flickr

Classy ships normally have aft pools there.

Been looking and thinking about the "authority" or back-up for why this statement is so totally true and factual. Clearly, everybody is entitled to their own personal opinion and viewpoint for what they like and don't want. In the free and wide consumer marketplace with so many different cruise ships and companies to select, shoppers can choose what they like best for their personal interests.

BUT, I do NOT know that there is any such supporting evidence to verify a statement or conclusion of this definitive nature and type. I have sailed on Seabourn, Crystal and Silversea, all considered and rated as fairly "classy" ships. No aft pools there. Maybe I made a major mistake in sailing with them and liking them. All of their customers must have gotten it so totally wrong. I considered the Celebrity Solstice ships to be fairly "classy" from our experiences last June in the Med, plus the many other reviews, market success, etc., that these ships have received. BUT, no aft pool there on these various Solstice-class ships. Should I cancel our just-made Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Solstice reservation for Australia and New Zealand?? Maybe I won't enjoy this 14-day cruise without an aft pool. Should I be worried and having serious post-booking cognitive dissonance about being on such an un-classy and low-scale ship again?

In preparing for our four previous cruises, I have done lots of advance research and have read many different books about cruises. I don't re-call any such statements or warnings from these many independent sources, nor any top travel magazines, that support that claim that any ship without an aft pool was "un-classy" and therefore should be avoided. Don't think there is anything in Federal law or court decisions that supports such a rule that only ships with aft pools are "classy".

Maybe I have missed something. I'll keep searching to see what I have missed or over-looked. Very puzzling!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 75,361 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Add to your list RCLs own Azamara cruises, becoming very classy ships in the eyes of many independent travel writers, none with Aft pools

I am so looking forward to the posters explanation of their definition of a classy ship

For me, the appeal is walking barefoot through nice grass. Personally, I LOVE that whether on land or at sea. The smell of freshly cut grass is one of those scents that takes me back to childhood summers and creates such a nice overall feeling. I wouldn't personally pay for the cabanas, but I did enjoy walking through the grass and sitting beside the grass while looking out at the water. Could just be personal preference.

Me too...

Sorry but I am struggling with why a promenade deck is such a deal breaker and an indicator of class, just as I do not accept that aft pools play any part in this

Your definition of a classy ship - what is your source? I think many see Seabourne, Oceana etc as classy ships but based on your interesting definition would not pass muster

You say

It's more constructive to pay attention to what the original poster is saying (not perverted).

I think in my responses to this thread I have through both verbal and images given attention both to the original post and to subsequent questions

We recently sailed Silhouette (3/5, 12 day Caribbean). Beautiful ship, lawn area was feeling the affects of winter, grass was not as plush as one would wish, in fact it was closer to a moon surface than it was to a golf green.

That being said, folks were playing bocce, relaxing on blankets but it wasn't crowded and it didn't take up that much room. Honestly, I'd say the maintenance is a nightmare and if it were my ship, I'd reduce the grass area by at least half. I'd put another pool with decking to take the pressure off the main pool area.

Maybe it was the time of year, but the grass didn't resemble the grass I have at home, it was much rougher and not nearly what could be considered soft and plush or inviting to bare feet. The plus side was there were no bugs. The Alcoves were also empty most of the trip, they should face the water, and they should reduce the cost.

As for the Lawn Club, nice idea but its like an outside barbeque restaurant, the walls are plastic see thru and the wind is disturbing. In addition, I ordered a Veal Chop and the Red Snapper, both were mutilated(burnt) and were no where close to medium rare, closer to dry shoe leather. They did offer to fire up another round, however, sometimes after you wait for dinner you don't wish to wait again.

I think the chefs at Lawn Club are not really chefs, they face 700 degree heat for hours along with the smoke they inhale, so I think they put anyone thats willing to take the heat up there. For $40, it was overblown and way overcharged. My wife and her sister had a decent filet, but none of the (4) of us would return. Of all the specialty restaurants we ate at, the only ones we would return to are Murano, Q-Sine and Bistro on Five. We didn't try the Porch as we thought it was open for dinner and it wasn't so we missed it. Tuscan and Lawn Club are not worth the $$$ in our opinions.

I think I can picture sitting on the lawn with a glass of wine. Lean back and gazing at the beautiful stars in the sky. Listen to the ship cut thru the ocean. Peaceful...........

You have it in one Kaye

Sorry but I am struggling with why a promenade deck is such a deal breaker and an indicator of class

This is like tasty food, fine art, good education, human body...

Just get it.

just as I do not accept that aft pools play any part in this

I cannot comment because I did not say that.

Your definition of a classy ship - what is your source? I think many see Seabourne, Oceana etc as classy ships but based on your interesting definition would not pass muster

The source may be talking to you right now. Who knows.

Seriously, my sources are cruise industry, education, years in this business...

Luxury boats are luxury boats.

1% of the undustry. Off topic.

Best regards.

Classy ships normally have aft pools there.

This is like tasty food, fine art, good education, human body...

Just get it.

If I may help your memory from yesterday though I accept you said normally, there is still a strong inference in your post of a correlation

I do not however get your riddles but so be it, I will just go and sit in the thickies corner of the lawn....anyone else want to join me to chill out there

I think I can picture sitting on the lawn with a glass of wine. Lean back and gazing at the beautiful stars in the sky. Listen to the ship cut thru the ocean. Peaceful...........

back to the topic of this thread. This is a qoute that came from a member of the Hot Glass show. The lawn isn't really a lawn at all, it's actually a layer of sod layed upon bed of sand which is washed every day. There's a lot of salt spray on the ships so the maintanence staff must 'wash' it down daily to keep it alive.

And they do a remarkable job keeping it in good shape

I love the sign they use where they have a bit of the lawn under maintenance

I cannot find the photo, but is says

"Please keep off I am resting"

zzzzz

Been looking and thinking about the "authority" or back-up for why this statement is so totally true and factual. Clearly, everybody is entitled to their own personal opinion and viewpoint for what they like and don't want. In the free and wide consumer marketplace with so many different cruise ships and companies to select, shoppers can choose what they like best for their personal interests.

BUT, I do NOT know that there is any such supporting evidence to verify a statement or conclusion of this definitive nature and type. I have sailed on Seabourn, Crystal and Silversea, all considered and rated as fairly "classy" ships. No aft pools there. Maybe I made a major mistake in sailing with them and liking them. All of their customers must have gotten it so totally wrong. I considered the Celebrity Solstice ships to be fairly "classy" from our experiences last June in the Med, plus the many other reviews, market success, etc., that these ships have received. BUT, no aft pool there on these various Solstice-class ships. Should I cancel our just-made Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Solstice reservation for Australia and New Zealand?? Maybe I won't enjoy this 14-day cruise without an aft pool. Should I be worried and having serious post-booking cognitive dissonance about being on such an un-classy and low-scale ship again?

In preparing for our four previous cruises, I have done lots of advance research and have read many different books about cruises. I don't re-call any such statements or warnings from these many independent sources, nor any top travel magazines, that support that claim that any ship without an aft pool was "un-classy" and therefore should be avoided. Don't think there is anything in Federal law or court decisions that supports such a rule that only ships with aft pools are "classy".

Maybe I have missed something. I'll keep searching to see what I have missed or over-looked. Very puzzling!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 75,361 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Again I wish there was a "like" button here!!!!:D

To have a lawn on a ship and trees. ( remember Mr Roberts throwing the palm tree over the side) I sence that there is a growing number of people who like cruises but hate feeling the are on a ship.. The lawn and the shopping malls help them cope.

I personaly would of asthetic value would never set foot on a ship with one or a garden .. I ilke ships that feel like ships and look like ships.:o

In looking at the deck plans, there appears to be very small amount of actual open deck space and the " lawn seems to fill a rather large area"

back to the topic of this thread. This is a qoute that came from a member of the Hot Glass show. The lawn isn't really a lawn at all, it's actually a layer of sod layed upon bed of sand which is washed every day. There's a lot of salt spray on the ships so the maintanence staff must 'wash' it down daily to keep it alive.

No sand under that sod. The link that loubetti gave us in post #52 was pretty specific about why there isn't a grain of sand anywhere under the grass.

To have a lawn on a ship and trees. ( remember Mr Roberts throwing the palm tree over the side) I sence that there is a growing number of people who like cruises but hate feeling the are on a ship.. The lawn and the shopping malls help them cope.

I personaly would of asthetic value would never set foot on a ship with one or a garden .. I ilke ships that feel like ships and look like ships.:o

In looking at the deck plans, there appears to be very small amount of actual open deck space and the " lawn seems to fill a rather large area"

But, everywhere on the grassy areas, you have a view of the ocean all around you!! The best views of the water are from that area. I don't understand what to you makes a "ship feel like a ship and look like a ship". Does it need rust everywhere? Or life rings hung on the walls every ten feet? Or perhaps ropes, cables and chains stacked in every corner? I personally prefer Celebrity ships BECAUSE they do a better job than most allowing me to feel closer to the ocean instead of being on a floating shopping mall or amusement park.

Again I wish there was a "like" button here!!!!:D

Appreciate this nice comment from our "neighbor" to the west in Indiana. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make a such nice comment.

As noted by others, just walking around here is inspiring and uplifting. It's great to soak up this wonderful atmosphere, see the unique sights, etc.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For those who have not been on one of Solstice-class ships, this visual gives you a better idea for how things look and lay-out on this 15th floor, back area of the ship. This is a visual from one of Celebrity’s brochures. This is not one of my pictures. Cool angle and look!!!:

SolsticeSunsetDeckRead.jpg

I would rather have the "open deck space" be taken up by grass than the regular decking! It's lovely up there - you should try it! Actually the Pax/tonnage ratio for the S Class is appox 43 while the R ships (Oceania/Azamara) is 44 so the space per pax is almost the same. Having sailed on both I think that the S Class ships seem more open and airy (feels less crowded - probably has to do with ceiling height) but I love them both.

Some folks love it, while others hate it, some folks like it, while others

dislike it, some could care less about it....boy, who knew grass

would be in the same genre as dress codes:eek::rolleyes::p

Well said.

Archived